Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

I fully sympathise about the stockings @dogchick. I was just googling how long I have to wear these wretched thigh length things for! Because I'm short they are far too long for me and go right up into my crotch, where they really rub and leave a deep red line. One of the stocking seams had chafed a spot before I even left hospital and I had to put a plaster on it. At night they're unbelievably hot and itchy and add to the problem of not sleeping, which is already bad enough what with the back sleeping thing,

I'm on a blood thinner and I walk around a lot during the day, including up and down stairs, but on the other hand my hospital seems to take them very seriously and I know blood clots do happen - I know of two people who've died of them, one of whom was a friend's sister post knee replacement. Some sites say don't bother wearing them at night, for example.

I don't even have much swelling. Isn't it tempting to rip then off, screaming, and give the legs a good scratch?!!

I wonder which of us will crumble first.
 
Every OS has their own protocol for the dreaded compression socks. Mine said to wear them for two weeks, during the day. So I took them off for sleeping. Some say round the clock. Some don't require them. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? But if they are leaving marks on your calf, they may indeed be too tight. A quick call to your doctor is probably a good idea, or maybe he has a PA who fields calls?

You might try ice on the itchy parts of the incision. That should give you temporary relief.

A couple more weeks, and you'll be past the worst of it. :)
 
The TEDS are the worst. They drive me batty too.
I hope you are able to get your shower...can't wear them in there, right.
Hope your weekend is peaceful and things ease soon.
Don't think you caused any damage where the bruise is but definitely don't resort to his again.
As Cassidy says , blood clots are serious and we should follow all doctors advice.
Too bad mine got lost in the wash after a week.
 
Having had a really bad night, partly down to the itching and heat of the stockings, I've decided that after two full weeks of wearing them, plus taking blood thinners and moving around a lot in the day, I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended!) and not wear them at night, but put them on immediately I get up and take them off last thing at night. That way I might sleep a bit better and give my poor legs a chance to get rid of the deep crevices caused by aforementioned. My legs aren't all that swollen anyway (could be due to wearing them) and Mr Google says in quite a few cases that they're not necessary at night as the legs are raised anyway. So, fingers (but obviously not legs!) crossed. Otherwise I'll be a good girl and do my time. Just so's you know, @dogchick.
 
I fully sympathise about the stockings @dogchick.
I don't even have much swelling. Isn't it tempting to rip then off, screaming, and give the legs a good scratch?!!
I wonder which of us will crumble first.
@Cassidy I can't even imagine having to wear those thigh-highs! That would be so miserable. Is there a way you can kind of fold the top of them down a bit, like an inch or two? I did that with mine because the top was hurting and kind of cutting into my leg. It's strange how different each surgeon's requirements can be. I guess some of it is because we all have different family histories and health issues that could make us more susceptible to blood clots. I don't have any family history of blood clots, but I have diabetes...not sure if that is a risk factor for clots or not. I don't know, I'm so torn about it. LOL!

Every OS has their own protocol for the dreaded compression socks. Mine said to wear them for two weeks, during the day. So I took them off for sleeping. Some say round the clock. Some don't require them. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? But if they are leaving marks on your calf, they may indeed be too tight. A quick call to your doctor is probably a good idea, or maybe he has a PA who fields calls?

You might try ice on the itchy parts of the incision. That should give you temporary relief.

A couple more weeks, and you'll be past the worst of it. :)
I do sometimes get a little crease up under my knee, if the sock isn't folded down an inch or two to spread out that compression a bit. My husbands compression socks really did hurt though, even folding them down didn't work. I had to stop wearing those. I actually don't mind wearing them during the day, but at night, my foot gets hot when I'm in bed, and it's not the foot that can easily be stuck out from under the blankets, so I can't cool it off, really. I'm hoping to get a shower tonight and get the thing off me for a while, while my leg dries (after putting some much needed lotion on it). That will be a nice break. As far as the itching, it's not too bad right now, just every once in awhile I feel the need to just get close enough to it, without touching the incision.

The TEDS are the worst. They drive me batty too.
I hope you are able to get your shower...can't wear them in there, right.
Hope your weekend is peaceful and things ease soon.
Don't think you caused any damage where the bruise is but definitely don't resort to his again.
As Cassidy says , blood clots are serious and we should follow all doctors advice.
Too bad mine got lost in the wash after a week.
:snork: @Mojo333 You are too funny! Since I sewed up the holes in mine, they aren't so bad during the day, but when we take the used one off to change to a clean one....OMG! It feels SOO good! My biggest issue though, as I mentioned above is at night with hot foot. :heehee:

Having had a really bad night, partly down to the itching and heat of the stockings, I've decided that after two full weeks of wearing them, plus taking blood thinners and moving around a lot in the day, I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended!) and not wear them at night, but put them on immediately I get up and take them off last thing at night. That way I might sleep a bit better and give my poor legs a chance to get rid of the deep crevices caused by aforementioned. My legs aren't all that swollen anyway (could be due to wearing them) and Mr Google says in quite a few cases that they're not necessary at night as the legs are raised anyway. So, fingers (but obviously not legs!) crossed. Otherwise I'll be a good girl and do my time. Just so's you know, @dogchick.
Can't say that I blame you! I hope all goes well and you finally get some relief as well as some sleep!
 
Good Afternoon Hipsters,
I feel like I got a pretty good night's sleep last night. I honestly don't remember Dogdude leaving for work, and he usually always checks in on me before he leaves and says goodbye, unless I'm asleep. But I did wake up around 6:30am. Pup Prince #1 was going to be getting up to shower and go to work soon, so I got up and went to the bathroom quickly and then went back to the bedroom. I sat down on my bed, trying to decide if I wanted to stay in bed for a little bit more, or go ahead and get dressed and head out to the recliner, since I had PT this morning at 10am. I was waiting for PP#1 to get out of the bathroom to ask him to bring my laptop into the livingroom for me, and just left my legs hanging off the bed, but layed back against the body pillow I had there...I was still feeling pretty exhausted. I ended up falling asleep like that, never heard or saw him get out of the bathroom or leave the house! I woke up about an hour later. Oh my goodness! My right leg was completely numb! :yikes: I quickly got both my legs back up on the bed, under the blankets, because I knew I wasn't going to be able to walk with a numb leg, so I turned on the tv and relaxed back, again, fell asleep until 8:30am..another hour! When I woke up again, I was seriously considering cancelling PT because the exhaustion I was feeling was overwhelming. I was ready to go back to sleep again. :alarm::zzz::sleep:

I decided to go ahead and get up because I was already late taking my Tylenol. I woke Pup-Prince #2 up because he had to drive me to PT. I was dreading PT, but I have to say, once I was there, I did a bit of the bicycle, feeling very sore. Pain level was about a 5 when I got there. She had me go to the bars and do a couple of exercises, not really much because of how exhausted I was and how sore I was. Then she brought me to the table, she did some stretches/exercises with my leg, and then....the BEST thing EVER!! She gave all those muscles in my buttocks and leg the BEST massage! It felt so good! I nearly fell asleep while she was doing it! Afterwards, I just stayed on my side and she put an ice pack on. I actually dozed for a couple of minutes during that time. I hope I didn't snore! :zzz::heehee: Anyway, it made me feel better about going. When I got home, I went straight back to see the chickens, and then ended up falling asleep in the recliner again. I'm telling you, this exhaustion is something else! I can't get over how MUCH I am needing to sleep at this point in my recovery. I thought I'd need to sleep more during the first week or two, but I'm into my 3rd week and it's worse now than it was then.

I also find it truly amazing how Chocolate Monster just instinctively seems to KNOW that I am not feeling my strongest and she seems to know that I just need a little bit of comfort. She feels the need to constantly watch over me, no matter where I'm at, and in most cases feels she needs to be touching me, and she has to "check in" on me every once in awhile. I've been alone since 1pm and nobody will be home until after 4pm, so she has taken over being the "Guardian". :heehee: She's so adorable and precious! I am so thankful to have her with me during this process.
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure


[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
 
I don't think family history came into it with me, @dogchick, as nobody asked me any questions and I don't have a history of clots, high blood pressure or anything like that. Trouble with turning down the tops of the stockings is it makes them even tighter. I almost get claustrophobic!

Sounds as though you're sleeping better. I'm a bit behind you, so wonder if the tiredness will catch up with me in the next few days. At the moment I'm managing around 6 hours at night and nothing in the day. Just a bit less than usual when I was expecting to need more.

I wish I could get my hair to shine like your dog's!!
 
Just butting in on the TEDS @Cassidy. They are supposed to be measured and fitted to you. Yours are absolutely incorrectly sized. Your hospital may do that but very few do anything beyond knee highs. I actually thought the main use was swelling control and the blood thinners were to take care of dvt risk. How you do anything about it:tiredwheel:
 
@Cassidy I wish my hair was shiny like my dog's fur too! :heehee:
@Apricot I was told by the nurses and PT, the compression socks were to prevent blood clots.
@Mojo333 and @Layla I FINALLY got to have a shower tonight! Felt so good! I will never take for granted the ability to take showers again! Now I'm in bed with no compression sock on...hoping Dogdude doesn't remember to tell me we need to put it on. :whistle:
 
Laughing at all the comments about compression socks. I am with @Mojo333 we lose so many other socks in the wash so why not those. I had a conversation with my OS at my pre-op appt about the different protocols by surgeons and he said that unless ppl have a history that it really didn't matter, therefore lots of ankle pumps seem to do the trick. Every OS is different so good to follow doctors orders. I hope you are able to get rid of the socks soon.

The need for sleep happened to me between 2-4 weeks and I just wanted to nap all the time. Mid-week this week I finally got my energy back (5-1/2 weeks). Your body is saying it needs all the rest.

Have a great weekend.
 
Great progress @dogchick .
Glad to know things are getting better and better!
:tada:
 
Glad to hear from you! Was going to call you out for an update. Your followers miss your humor!

How's the one crutch going?
 
Great progress @dogchick .
Glad to know things are getting better and better!
:tada:
Thanks @Mojo333 It felt good to be able to walk around all day on just one crutch. I didn't need Percocet yesterday either. Although, today is a different story. I don't know if it's because it's raining out, or what, but very painful today, took Percocet finally about 15 min. ago. I am able to use one crutch, but it wipes me out and I'm more painful, so, I may end up using both today for a bit.

Any progress no matter how small is a good thing!
@GrannyC It is a good thing! I was really happy about it, although I did have some pain, it wasn't horrible.

Glad to hear from you! Was going to call you out for an update. Your followers miss your humor!
How's the one crutch going?
@Bchbum4evr, yeah, yesterday was just mostly a computer free day for me. Just needed a break from it, I guess, although, I was binge-watching stuff on Netflix. Wasn't feeling particularly social I guess. Or humorous...:heehee: The extreme tiredness continues. Today, since waking up, I have had quite a bit more pain and stiffness. I didn't sleep very well, and couldn't seem to get comfortable in my bed for some strange reason. OH! Speaking of sleeping, have I mentioned that at least for a short while, I have been sleeping on my Non-op side? :yes!: I found that when I sleep on my side for the whole night, I'm quite sore in the morning, so I'm trying to limit the amount of time I'm on my side, but it is doable. I have a giant body pillow that I use. It's quite the process. I have to scooch all the way over to the middle of the bed, so I have enough room to be able to roll over with the giant pillow between my legs, then I can flip the blankets over both me and the pillow. Chocolate monster rolls her eyes at me as if to say, "Are you done yet?"

I was home by myself yesterday for the longest period of time ever. I did fine, binge-watched Netflix, (Cold Justice and then Anne With an "E" ) kept catching myself crossing my ankles, and then had to chastise myself, :bignono: because there was nobody there to do it for me. I got up several times and did stuff in the house, like dishes. I mean, I know that doesn't sound like much, but after taking several trips to get myself situated in the living room, after getting dressed for the day and getting my cereal poured...I was sweating like a pig. Needed to sit and relax for a bit. Then, I found out some friends were coming over for a visit, and I realized I never put make-up on because I wasn't expecting to have company, (the ONE day I decide not to worry about make-up...of course!) and I realized I forgot to brush my teeth and put on deodorant. :no-fin: So I got up again and did all that....sweating like a pig. I don't think I overdid it yesterday, I didn't even go out to visit my chickens. I didn't want to go out there by myself without someone at least being in the house, figured if I fell, or something, there would be nobody here to help me, and poor Chocolate monster would be beside herself with worry in the house. But I am much more sore today and hurting.

Oh, one sort of funny thing...Dogdude had a couple of meetings he had to go to yesterday, so he wasn't going to be home for dinner. I talked with Pup Prince #1 to see if he wanted to get some fast food and bring it home. We decided on Taco Hell...umm...I mean Bell. I got a burrito supreme and a hard taco. I don't know why I was sort of craving that, but I was. After eating it, I was just relaxing in the recliner. We got it late, so it was around 7pm. Dogdude came home around 7:30pm and was talking to me. Then I said, "Umm...Sorry, but I really need to go to the bathroom." I rushed into the bathroom....and all I'm going to say is, Taco Bell is the BEST enema ever! I haven't gone that easy since before surgery! :snork: Of course, it was a little TOO easy...thought I was in for a long night, but thankfully that was the only time. Note to self: No more Taco Bell food. I haven't really eaten anything that heavy since well before my surgery, so I think it was just a little too much for my digestive tract.

So those of you that have had your new hips...does weather affect them? I get headaches when it is rainy/gloomy out, but I always had more hip trouble too. So I don't know if it's the weather affecting my pain level today, or maybe I did over do it a bit yesterday? Any insight would be great. Thanks. I think that's all I have to say. I'm starting to feel hungry and sleepy. Check in later.
 
Sorry you're having a bummy day.
Things do ebb and flow...good days and not so great days.
Actually if you have a Good Day and you are up more and expending more energy..your body will make you sit yourself back down the next day to compensate.
There will be longer periods soon.
Listen to your body.
It will tell you what it needs.
Healing hugs:console2:
 
Sorry you're having a bummy day.
Things do ebb and flow...good days and not so great days.
Actually if you have a Good Day and you are up more and expending more energy..your body will make you sit yourself back down the next day to compensate.
There will be longer periods soon.
Listen to your body.
It will tell you what it needs.
Healing hugs:console2:
That's good to know, @Mojo333 I thought it might be the case, but wasn't sure with our change in weather going on. I'm getting really good at listening to my body...and really good at napping! :snork: I think the Percocet helped, because I did get a bit of an energy burst this afternoon where I did the dishes, cleaned out a few dishes from the refrigerator and dumped it. Put some groceries away once Dogdude came home with them, and took care of some paper plates and silverware that I had left in my bedroom and living room from breakfast and lunch. Now I'm starting to wind down. Time to rest. :) :-) (:
 
Back
Top Bottom