TKR DLR recovery #2

Happy January 2019! I am enjoying my view of the Gulf of Mexico from my balcony in Florida. This is trip one oft two for January. This trip is with my cousin and our moms. Both moms are in their 80s and love playing dominoes...(all day). This is a less restful trip the next will be to Cuba with my husband for a week of sun before my left knee gets replaced Feb 5. Leftie is causing a lot of pain and is becoming more pronounced in its knock kneed state. The right knee is good but the muscles supporting are still weak, I have accommodated knee pain for so many years that these muscles have really had to relearn how to work properly ...and it is slow progress. I am a little concerned how it will hold up when it becomes the dominate leg post left TKR. Any encouragement or suggestions out there?
 
Sounds like you’re having a great time! Making the most of it before Feb !
One thing I read on the BS forum and I can’t remember in who’s post but her nurse said ‘your knees are sisters but they’re not twins’. So I have found my second tkr more difficult and the first knee has complained a bit.
However lots of people have second TKRs quite close together with no issues.
Not a very encouraging post but I think you just can’t second guess these recoveries. Best thing is the support of Bonesmart .
Eventually though we’ll be pain free! Yippee.
 
Thanks @Newboots , I thought I was prepared but now am starting to get nervous, funny how our minds work.
I appreciate this forum for giving perspective, I like the thought they are sisters not twins. Thank you for the reminder.
Meanwhile, I am going to soak in the sun before going back to being housebound by our Canadaian snow and ice.
 
Jealous! LOL
The trips will do wonders for you. Enjoy and send us a postcard:heehee:
 
Here you go @beachy sending warm wishes
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] DLR recovery #2
    B2387539-EEC2-4777-8898-EC8B3D3B9642.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 170
Thank you! I feel warmer already!
I love the gulf coast. More laid back. What area?
 
I found the best exercise for building my leg muscles was walking. I started a walking routine about 2 years ago (3 years post op wish I had done it at 1 yr post op) that had me walk ten minutes 2x a day and each week I added 5 minutes to my walk. In the beginning my leg hurt a bit but I think that’s because I just wasn’t used to walking that much at on every time. When I had built up to two 20 minute walks I merged the 2 walks and did a 40 minute walk. Now I walk about 50 minutes a day, 2.5 miles and my TKR doesn’t bother me at all.
 
Thanks @KarriB thats a great suggestion. I I got a good reminder today that I am still recovering from the first knee, we went shopping at outlet malls after a busy day and now I am back on the couch with legs elevated due to swelling. Haven’t had that happen in weeks. A year post op sounds about right to focus on fitness
 
I think I had pain when walking because I just jumped back into work. Even at half days of teaching I was walking quite a lot, then later I started shopping again and still had pain. I hadn’t spent time building that muscle around the knee, I just jumped back into life and my PTs did strength work with me. Now I can walk a mall or a few miles without needing to sit and be totally pain free. I really believe the slow build up is the key.
 
Heading home from Florida tomorrow... interesting holiday as I ended up in hospital with mild appendicitis, so my husband and I have cancelled our trip to Cuba as I won’t be insured if it acts up again. So instead time to focus on getting my mind in gear for recovery knee #2. Pre Op next week, surgery in 21 days!
 
Oh no, Diane!
What is MILD appendicitis? Did you have it removed?
Hope you're feeling ok now. You sure don't want to get sick in Cuba!
 
Mild means the surgeon decided not to remove the appendix but rather try treating with antibiotics, new protocol. The pain has resolved, it took 5 days, I am still on antibiotics and will see my family doctor when I get home for follow up. I agree I don’t want to get sick in Cuba, I was so thankful this happened in the States.
 
Wonderful that you didn't have to have surgery! I pray the antibiotics take care of your appendix problem!
 
@sistersinhim thanks..so far so good
I am back home now to the ice and snow .... slip slide and away...
I have decided airports are ridiculously big with lots of walking, thankful I brought a cane. Today I am very sore, hoping chiropractor visit this morning will help the back and self care will help the rest...on to prep for knee #2
 
Starting to get real..left knee replacement 2 weeks away. I am still working on getting strength back on right quad and concerned how it will hold up after left TKR. Right knee is doing well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom