[DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread

Thank you all - well I did everything I planned to do although I have to say I found an hour in John Lewis was more than enough for me. Had an excellent appointment with Physio. She thinks the pain I have in my thigh and knee is all muscle related - all very tight. Deep tissue massage (painful but ends up feeling so much better) and have a couple more exercises. I'm back for an hour including some time in the gym next Wednesday. Advised me to keep doing what I'm doing but to try to walk as straight as I can - not easy as been limping for far too long!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ponymad glad to hear you are doing so well and able to go shopping again :yes: The deep tissue massage sounds helpful, I may look into that as well. Hope your ponies are doing well too.
 
Thanks Horseshoe - I guess if everything is tight, it's going to hurt! Strength is ok though. Ponies are all good apart from one with an abscess which is just great timing!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had deep tissue massage post LTHR. It hurts like crazy when they are first applying pressure. But this quickly eases and the results are great. It's very useful if you limped around for a length of time pre-op. Muscles are just so tight they need a bit of help to get moving again.
 
It did hurt but definitely helped. I really needed the Physio session, really disappointing that Physio is not offered routinely in the U.K. I felt so much better afterwards!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Physio is offered routinely in some areas. I had to request it post LTHR due to lower back issues. But I was offered PT post RTHR. Frankly, the "routine" PT is really not effective. They give you exercises that really aren't for hips and most people just end up with aches and pains.

As specialised PT who does things like deep tissue massage and who addresses the patient needs (i.e. more than just a list of exercises they give everyone) is a gem! Well worth paying for in needed.
 
I had my hip done privately - no Physio routinely offered, plenty in hospital though! I had to raise some concerns and I have to say I was impressed with how it was followed up and now I feel better supported.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
6 weeks and 2 days PO, life is ticking along. I'm having regular Physio which is in my opinion - a necessity. Why oh why isn't it standard procedure? It helps your physical and mental wellbeing!!! So, I am walking. Caring for my horses, driving, cooking, shopping, house cleaning (not keen on that one) working from home.... going to start Pilates, with restrictions. I hope my fellow hippies are well xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Will you be doing Pilates mat or reformer? I did 10 private sessions on the Pilates reformer and then found a physical therapy location (that was covered by insurance!) that offered Pilates reformer in addition to some "traditional" therapy exercises. So I did 8 sessions there. For me, I think the Pilates reformer exercises helped me more than the traditional PT. But since I started the Pilates after my 6 weeks of restrictions, I didn't have any surgeon imposed restrictions. My PT instructor though was shocked that I could do some of the things I did - like standing side splits. (Can you tell I love Pilates?!)
 
I haven't done Pilates for years but a good friend of mine is a very well respected instructor who is mindful of hip replacements and will "work with me'. My goal is to ride again comfortably. I can get on and off the floor so we shall see!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So good to hear your progress, it sounds like your doing very well.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Pony,
Glad to hear that all is well with you and that you are making good progress. Enjoy the Pilates. I don't feel confident enough yet to even think about doing that, but hopefully at some point, I will.
Good luck with your return to riding, I'm sure it will happen when your body is ready for it.
Enjoy the lovely weekend,
Diane x
 
7 week check with surgeon - no restrictions, only those my body gives me, keeping up the Physio appointments and feeling good!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to hear! I am 8 weeks post op tomorrow and my body does tell me what I need to do, or not do. Good job as I know you had a set back early on.
 
Great news ponymad! I will be 5 weeks out on Thursday. Saw my OS last week, and he is quite pleased with my progress. I am driving now, but do have 3 more weeks of precautions. Fatigue is my biggest challenge. This too shall pass. (-: Keep up the good work!
 
Great news Pony! You have done so well considering what happened and I'm glad all is good! You must be enjoying your ponies in this weather! I've just started walking my dog again - only half hour walks but so happy - haven't walked him pain free for so long!! Happy Easter!!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've just commented to my husband that I feel "normal". I'm not yet but see glimmers of it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been so busy I've not been on here for a while! Yesterday was very hard for me, I flew to London and back again for a meeting, walked around 11,000 steps and was on and off the tube. Needless to say I felt very very sore when I got home! Tomorrow my daughter has a riding lesson on her pony and I am very tempted to just get on and off supervised by her instructor. Will see how I feel tomorrow because that is a massive step forward.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Way Ta Go Ponymad.
Your flying it now (literally).
Word of caution from a motorcyclist. You have to spread those hips out quite a bit To Mount, Sit on and Dismount a horse.
Barely 2 months out (and I still have a mental picture of "that X-Ray").
I want you to ride the horse as I have ridden my motorcycle but I wasn't ready at 2 Months.
I know you'll be cautious.
Let us know how you got on.
Joe........
 
Good luck Pony but don't put yourself at risk. If you're not ready, you have the whole summer ahead of you. You have already achieved miracles in my eyes ! I hesitate to say this as I know how keen you are to get going, but would it make a major difference if you just waited a few more weeks to ensure that you have properly healed?
Only you will know this, so do what you think is sensible.
I will be thinking about you and hoping you have a great weekend, whatever you end up doing!!
Wishing you well,
Diane xxx
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom