[DISLOCATION] ponymad recovery thread

Hey Pony great to hear your update!! Am impressed with your full day! Have just booked leg wax and pedi - finding the long arm razor tricky with the restrictions! And hair next week. Nice to do some normal things. Are you wearing the brace? Glad you are back on track - all sounds good :)
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Time flies Pony ! What a turnaround for you! Sounds like you are really getting on well and starting to get back to normal again. Does your hip feel stable again now? The brace must also give you some reassurance and feeling of security. I wondered how easy or difficult it would be to get in and out of the car while you're wearing it, but clearly all is fine if you are able to get out to a show.
Hope your progress continues apace and that you can start to look after your ponies again in the not too distant future,
Diane xx
 
I'm still hobbling around - I'm sure I've one leg longer than the other... I'm not using the metal brace that looked more like a torture tool - neither my surgeon or the Physio felt that was required so I'm only using the wrap they supplied which secures around my hip and thigh. It's a tight fit and keeps me aware of my position and I do not flex to far forward in it. My hip feels stable, not hugely painful and I am being very careful. I also spoke to my medical insurance company yesterday and I am waiting for a call back as I would like to organise some specific one to one Physio sessions to address my gait and target strengthening my muscles in my hip and thigh area. I think the aftercare Physio is a little lacking when compared to what seems to be offered elsewhere in the world - especially the US, and I really want to make sure I get the best outcome but in a safe way, as I'm sure you all do too. The leg wax and haircut was a good boost though. Pedicure in a few weeks maybe! I hope you all continue to get stronger and more mobile xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ponymad.
I'm really happy that things are progressing well for you now.
Onwards and upwards.
Joe......
 
Thank you Joe.... I'm not taking anything for granted though!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Now on day 28 post op and whilst things are progressing nicely, I am still not sleeping well at night. Still on my back with operated leg on a pillow, I've tried taking the pillow away but really not comfortable. I would love to be able to move about and to get a full sleep!

In other news, went out to lunch with friends yesterday in a beautiful old pub on Dartmoor which was fabulous, walks are up to around 2.2 miles per day split in to 2-3 outside walks, visiting my ponies and doing some light duties when I can get away with it and experiencing some unusual pain in my knee. My youngest daughter has gone down with D&v yesterday too which I really don't want to catch!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
experiencing some unusual pain in my knee
Sounds like you are over doing things a bit. You are just one month out. I know your minds says go but your body isn't ready yet. Slow down - all that walking is not necessary. Give it a couple of weeks. You will notice significant changes very soon.
 
Agreed - having a sofa day with leg up and ice


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
All sounds good Pony, glad it's going well. I'm sooo bored too and want to be doing everything too quickly!! @Delphi reminded me to be grateful for getting this far this easily and she's right as I was in so much pain pre-op. Glad you can get down to the ponies, thereputic I imagine! Can't wait to get dog walking!!
Take it easy - I cut down my walking a bit and the aches went away!
Sam xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Best laid plans and all that.... the sun came out so I thought I should take a gentle walk down to see my ponies and my poor little Lance (smallest and very beautiful pony) was hopping lame and could barely put his hoof to the ground! I had to call the vet out and thankfully it was an abscess in his hoof. The vet released the pressure and my gorgeous pony is now hobbling around ( a bit like me) with boots on. We need to soak his hoof in warm salted water every day and spray with disinfectant. Another job for my poor husband/care/groom.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, how sad! Poor boy - hope he recovers quickly. You could have done without that though, couldn't you? X
 
Yes! He managed to ditch the boot which is protecting the hoof overnight but I did not even attempt to put it back on. It took a lot of tested t but there are limits!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ponymad Hope your Lance is OK! These animals sure pick the worst times to have a problem. It probably doesn't help we are having all the wet weather. Hope you can get some rest!
 
It's nice to read about how you are coming along. You reminded me to take it easy and don't rush. I went for my first short car ride today and then walked just a short distance on the sidewalk in front of my house before I went back inside. It was the first time outside in a week since surgery. Wonderful to be out. I'm glad you are both doing so well [emoji846]



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lance is doing well, hoof being soaked in salt water and packed with antibacterial hoof stuff - and my husband is doing it for me! I just hold his lead rein but he is a perfect patient and my other 2 ponies are very jealous of the attention he is getting! I have developed a lot of knee pain / concentrating on less walking but walking with no limp. I've booked a Physio session at hospital to check it out next week. Tomorrow I drive !!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
5 weeks post op tomorrow, I have a busy day tomorrow, dropping my youngest daughter to the bus at 7.40 (driving since Friday with approval!) and then going to see to my horses... then home to shower, dress, make some work calls/emails followed by a drive to Exeter (10 miles) a visit to John Lewis and then my Physio appointment. I will then pick up youngest daughter from school which is adjacent to the hospital, drive home, visit the horses again (with youngest daughter to do the heavy work ) and make dinner... normality is within sight! Not used a crutch in 6 days, still taking lots of rest in between and being extremely careful of 90 degree restrictions - but feel like I am getting there. Riding in 5 more weeks maybe? It will be one of my questions for the Physio tomorrow. I'm not entirely pain free (hence the Physio appointment) and I am not 100% happy with my progress but I'm feeling positive [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ponymad.
What a brilliant post. You've come on in leaps and bounds since your hiccup some time ago. Let us know what the physio says about the horse-riding. I'm sure you'll know when the time is right for you and you'll choose your first mount carefully.
5 wks is still early in recovery so take care.
Joe......
 
@ponymad
So great to hear your progress (and Lance's). I'll be interested to read what you find out about returning to riding!
 
Great news Pony, you are doing so well!! Your hiccup doesn't seem to have set you back which is fantastic :) hope you are back riding soon!
Samxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What amazing progress Pony! You say that you are not 100% happy with it but you should be delighted! At this rate you will no doubt get back to riding in double quick time. Look after yourself and don't overdo it, but from your update, you are doing brilliantly!
Diane xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom