Revision THR Dislocation following revision

To know that this is the course you went through helps me a great deal. I find that I am mirroring what you describe down to the word. It helps me to know this is okay, I am on the right course. Thank you Beckford!
 
@melquist and @Beckford I can't even fathom how both of you have still managed to cope so well with your traumatic dislocation histories! You have my utmost respect. :bow:. It took me a full year with just a run-of-the-mill no complications THR to feel just about normal again, so don't beat yourselves up. I unloaded 2 ton-bags of firewood yesterday... and boy did my hip and back complain! I might limp a bit but I don't usually have pain anymore (except when doing too much wood stacking!) so I cant complain. I wish you all the best warmest hugs and healing as you both go through yet another recovery. You will get there. Be patient and kind to your body. :friends:
 
Thank you Calgal. Your support brought me to tears. Bonesmarg.org continues to keep me sane with the roller coaster of emotions this process brings on. I look back at the articles we have here often and they help straighten out my thinking when it wants to go south. Tomorrow my stitches and the wound vac come off. This is my second time with the wound vac, and no longer having this thing on my body slung over my shoulder 24 hours a day is something that will lift my spirits too. The wobbliness feeling of the hip which felt like it wanted to give out on me finally stopped yesterday. It is still weak as I would expect, but now it is starting to feel like it is there to help me not be something to fear. I think fear of dislocation is going to take time to get through. I got through it with the first dislocation, so it can happen again. I keep Beckford's words close to my heart, because her survival of 6 dislocations gives me hope that we can come out the other side of all of this.
 
I also had a hip resurfacing in 2007 which dislocated in 2010. Had revision with new hip joints. If only my dr did more research and realized that my hip smith and nephew was recalled!
 
I’ve had revision after my hip resurfacing (2007)
Dislocated in 2010. I later found out that my hip was recalled and it would have been nice if dr knew. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years already I was able to practically dance out of hospital. No pain. But since it was workman’s comp off to rehab I went
Add that to bilateral shoulder replacement ( kept rotator cuff in tact) tlkr back surgery and in April just as shelter in place began fell and fractured my elbow in a zillion pieces. 5 plates nuts screws etc
1 day in no wait bc if Covid
 
You sure have been through the mill too! I can't imagine how hard this has been for you! My heart goes out to you Susanne! Thank you for posting.
 
When I designed built my last home to Age In Place in. In looking for helpful things that didn't look too bad, til needed(besides adding the framing blocking at place before sheetrocking). There are lines of stylish Handicap Accessories. Well worth it to put them in for anyone down the road. To be on the safe side some should open up sheet rock & put framing blocking back in.

Delta makes them. I have the TP holder & shower corner shelf(paid $12 & $5 at a thriftstore!) https://faucetlist.com/products/del...ower-shelf-tp-holder-assist-grab-bar-d10108ap
 
I will answer all your questions as best and honest as I can...
It took me longer to recover from revision . All components were removed and replaced. I was in short term recovery rehab for 3 weeks. after 3 weeks could not put all my weight on my leg. It took me over 2 months to put full weight on my op leg. i never rushed anything took one day at a time and it can get better. walking was my only exercise.... no others and bottom squeezes... keeps the back muscles good as well as the bum.

At first the misery of it all seems so overwhelming. I was released to finally have revision as my suffering went on far to long before revision. I had THR before and never experienced all the long term pain previously. I knew right away something was not right.

after coming home from rehab each new day brought new healing and challenges and after weeks of slow progress soon progress came faster until it was all behind me.approx . 7-9 months. Walking with good gate in new shoes on flat ground with no pain... that was a big improvement and it continued to improve. Just Walking Daily.

It was a day to day process of listening to my body and slowly building up strength and endurance. Never over do leave whatever needs to be done Around the house keep it off your check list. Make it a major priority that healing and recovery is all your going to focus on until you feel secure enough to Slowly move into life again.

once I could walk slowly on a 4 wheel walker ( I didn’t trust a cane) at first, so I requested a four wheel walker. It has breaks and a seat to pull down and so much easier to walk with and work on balance a good gate ...heel to toe..stand straight . it was all a very slow process for me. By three- four months I was using a cane walking inside . I had recovered faster with both primary ops In the past .

Revision surgery is a bit more complicated as you all have been thru so much . Takes a lot of energy to heal. My doc said you need 2200 calories a day to aide healing. Protein shakes and eating well and vitamins is important to build strength and energy. Little things add up with daily progress.

It was about 6-7 months when I was walking with a good confident gate and without any aides around my home. I can’t stress enough how much better I was able to build up muscle and strength and good balance and better gate walking only with the four wheel walker. It helped with balance coordination and gave me the confidence that I will continue to improve .

sending healing blessings your way.
 
Last edited:
melquist.. and Beckford....how are you doing today?

susanne... Calgal .. thank you for sharing your stories... your stories are very helpful and I’m sorry that you have been thru so much and have great attitudes. We all share hoping to help others understand that healing is just a few months down the road. Important to take care of our new joints...

HandyWOMAN... very nice grab bars. Thanks for the link.

Anything different since surgery that you all do differently to help prolong the new joints.

i can say that I don’t lift heavy objects or push pull on anything heavier than 6 pounds. That’s my limit. I have learned to be mindful of my movements and think before doing and in many cases it’s possible to let balance do the work manipulating the task by adjusting the object using the transfer of the weight of the object rather than lifting . It may take longer and it worth the extra time to maintain good heath of the hip joints.
after all I have one hip replaced over 21 years ago and it’s still good. It shows slight wear around the cup may need replacing just the cup in a couple of years. It’s always a good thing to have X-rays yearly to keep track of the components over time..

sending healing blessing your way.
 
Last edited:
Thank you from me too! Your recovery story really confirms that this is most certainly not a quick fix. I am just over 3 months and I thought by now I should be back to normal but it’s just so hard to put full weight through my leg and very tiring. I don’t use any aids and I am thinking I should carry a stick so st least I have got it to take some of the weight. I totally agree with the focus on your recovery. I have made it my priority and I don’t worry any more if the house is untidy or the washing isn’t done.
My calorie intake is nowhere near the 2200. Probably more like 1000. My appetite is pathetic and I rarely feel hungry. I like the idea of protein shakes so I will look into that. I just cannot believe how weak my leg is still ! That’s the frustrating part for me. I just need a little more strength and control of the leg and I think that will make all the difference. Sometimes it feels like it’s just doing its own thing rather than me being in control of it. I can walk along for a few strides then I wobble and go of course! It’s hard to explain really. It really is so very kind that those of you who are healed and well living normal busy lives give up your time to write. I can’t tell you how much it helps to people like myself in recovery. It’s very encouraging and helps with all the worries that go with these surgeries. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
 
Beckford.. very glad you have prioritized healing. The very best suggestion I can share with you is to ask for a script for a “four wheel walker/rollator.“
It‘s adjustable for height , has hand breaks and a seat . It helps with standing straight and stretch the leg muscles and back, knees ankle foot. Short term damage from dislocations before surgery has the muscles week.
New shoes to support a new walking gait with good support arches are extremely helpful on all the joint in the op leg. The foot, ankle, knee, hip and back all work together . Support is important. the rollator takes some of the pressure off upper back and arms from canes , so walking improves and Healing becomes easier as time progresses.
The rollator was so handy can put things on the seat it also has a basket, turns on a dime in the smallest spaces and the rollator is available at most drug stores. Most Insurance covers the coast. They are vital in gaining back the muscle tone , proper gate and confidence to walk heal to toe and develop good muscle tone and balance . Its better to use a aide for walking heal to toe, develop strength and endurance with no chance of falling. soon your on your own stronger and walking short distance with no fear of falling or dislocation as endurance improves. The tissues around the joint will develop strength, hold the joint in place, it takes time and Energy.
Sending healing blessing your way.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Dislocation following revision
    917DA4A7-6314-40C9-806E-C67E4D4B3CD8.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Hi Everyone: Had my wound vac removed this past week, and the incision is closed. I had the PA for my first post op, and I was able to get more information this time. In addition to the constraint liner, the femural head of the rod was changed leaving the rod that was put in last year intact. I went off the walker last Wednesday (1 week post op) and I am now on a cane with much less pain. I remain conservative with my activities, monitoring my precautions, doing regular hallway walks (two story house) and practicing steps with the two steps that descend into our den. If I start getting discomfort or tired, I stop. This coming week, I will start to work on going downstairs once or twice a day. I have to go down 20 steps, so this will be a big task, and I have no intention of pushing myself too hard as I have done with my previous surgeries. I am not going down that road again. This is my second revision following two dislocations. I give myself permission to pace this, and I know all my fellow hippies who have been through these THR complications know what I mean. Without this website, I would not have been able to give myself that permission. Gratitude! Hope everyone else is well too!
 
Hi Beckford: I read through your post, and my heart is with you. Remember, your hip has been through so much. It will take time, and there is no rush. Eventually you and I will look back at all of this and have come out the other side stronger for the experience. I watched "Rising Phoenix" on Netflix this last week. I found the inspiration from it a huge boost for me these past days. My admiration and awe of those who overcome severe disabilities to end up athletes in the Paralympics was phenomenal. In fact even trying to explain with words just can't do justice to what I watched. I highly recommend it. Take care fellow Hipster.
 
How lovely and thoughtful. These kind words really do mean so much to me and the encouragement and genuine concern really makes me feel valued. So thank you so very much to you all for the incredible support. I really wish I could be more like melquist but it’s hard, my personality is such a fighter and then I overdo it and feel defeated! Anyway my excercise is done for today and I am having a protein smoothie and a lye on ice. I know when I have done too much because I get awful back ache !
God bless you all.
 
That was a sweet, heartfelt post from melquist!
I‘m sorry you feel like you overdid it today. Hopefully the ice and rest help and you’re feeling better tomorrow. If not, please give yourself a break from the exercises until you’re feeling up to it. I hope your afternoon and evening is peaceful and relaxing. :)
@Beckford
 
Good Morning: I am laughing Beckford when you say you wish you were more like me. I am exactly like you! I too am a fighter, then I overdo it followed by defeat mode. I have two speeds: lightening or crash. I fight that part of my personality everyday with this recovery. I am learning though that when I am in fight mode, I lose touch with what my hip feels like. When I crash, I can look back and see that I objectively and emotionally detached from my hip and looked at it like it was a project I had to hurry up and finish.

This last dislocation put me in crash mode for the 6 weeks while I waited for my surgery. I am grateful for that down time, because when I fell, I injured my wrist badly. The wrist forced me to look at all of this differently, because I was going to need it for that walker and cane that was coming up.

This time I want to slow down, be patient with myself and focus the most on walking. Sure the exercises are helpful, but the articles on this website about PT, therapeutic exercise and walking for us hipsters are spot on. I am saying that from the perspective of having had a career in the orthopedic rehabilitation world. I was a PTA, ATC that worked in PT clinics and with athletic teams. I had a masters degree in my field. I am not saying that to sound like a puffy pontificator. I am saying it so that I can explain that those articles on this website are crucial and academically on target.

Overdoing it causes inflammation and pain which creates a cycle that actually slows our recovery. My goal this time around is I am going to listen to what my hip tells me, love on it and treat it like the gold that it is. This will be a better life than I experienced with it for this past 6 years.

The hardest part of all of this has been getting to a place where I realize that what it will all look like when I come out the other side will not be what I "want" it to look like but rather a great opportunity for a new way forward. It is easy for me to say that now with starry eyes, but I also know the reality of it all.

Multiple surgeries, revisions and dislocations are a humbling experience. They make us stronger, so Beckford, you are strong! No one goes through SIX dislocations as you did and doesn't evolve into a person of powerful insight. Be gentle with yourself. You truly will get there, and on the dips, remember how much you have came through.

I used to always tell my patients when they were having bad days to look at where they were a month ago or two months ago, etc. Then they would start to realize "oh yes, I have come a long way." Looking at it day to day is too frustrating. I am two weeks tomorrow, but two months ago I could barely walk.

Sorry for making this so long, and I hope I didn't come off preachy. I care about you, all of us and thank you everyone for being a voice that keeps me going. Hugs to everyone.
 
I am humbled at both of your long hard hip journeys and wish with all my heart I could make time speed up as it us truly the greatest healer.
My goal this time around is I am going to listen to what my hip tells me, love on it and treat it like the gold that it is
Great goal for all recovering hippys.
We can give our injuries time to heal or be forced to do it with setbacks.
Wishing you both patience and peace.
 
@Beckford . I am tagging you again to make sure you see this post from melquist.

@melquist, if you are posting something in your thread to another person and want to make sure they see it just place the @sign before their user name. This will tag them that there is a post for them.

Your words are so kind and real. Thank you for sharing them with Beckford and everyone else here. Have a peaceful day.
 
Back
Top Bottom