Guest viewing is limited

TKR Di's Recovery Thread

@Newbie tkr I think our equivalent of Tylenol is Paracetamol and that's what I've taken from the start and after nearly 9 weeks I'm still taking it 4 times a day. As you say it quietens down the turbulence :-) My doc said its better to keep it circulating in your body regularly that's how it works best. Don't know if that's true but in spite of others saying is that all your taking? I certainly know about it if I forget to take it.

@KarriB congrats on retirement and on the teacher Award they are usually hard earned, I know from personal experience.
Way back in 2001 I won a Teacher of the Year Award at the University for being the best lecturer who excelled in 3 areas: with students, colleagues and in peer reviewed publications. Of course displaying a teacher of the year award 2001 in subsequent years led to great hilarity amongst students who came to my office, apparently that made me a "has been" in subsequent years lol. Even though we were not allowed to win it twice and the award only ran for 3 years! But then students love to mock eh?
 
I think our equivalent of Tylenol is Paracetamol and that's what I've taken from the start and after nearly 9 weeks I'm still taking it 4 times a day. As you say it quietens down the turbulence :) My doc said its better to keep it circulating in your body regularly that's how it works best. Don't know if that's true but in spite of others saying is that all your taking? I certainly know about it if I forget to take it.
Correct. Paracetamol/Panadol is the UK equivalent of Tylenol (Acetaminophen).
Your doctor is also correct in saying that you need to keep up a constant level in your blood for it to be effective as post-op pain relief.

Paracetamol was the only pain relief I was prescribed following discharge from hospital after my first knee replacement, back in 2000. My surgeon at that time gave me the same advice as yours gave you and I managed OK.
 
Hey thanks for chipping in @Celle its great to meet someone else who's managed like that too as so many say "How the hell......".

But I've managed okay too, it's not easy but if you listen to your body it can be done.

Well done you too xx
 
Okay...want to be very careful with what I'm about to say here. You may choose to believe it or not- you may, in fact, find the context quite startling. All I ask is that you read this with an open mind. Thanks.

I HAD MY FIRST GOOD WEEK IN RECOVERY!! :bow:

Tomorrow I plan on falling into a street-hole so that I can start a new thread on revision tkr, ha

@KarriB
How many more days until the warden...uh, I mean school is over for you? Sounds like you are very well liked and have many social activities surrounding your retirement.
Heck, I had to BEG my younger sister to give ME a birthday party one year and we fought the entire time. We're both a little too sassy...
 
Seventeen days, but I have at least 7 days to take off or I lose them. Not sure how I'll take all 7, my students HATE having substitute teachers. Today was Tractor Parade Day, known as Prom to most other schools. My school is in a very rural area, years ago kids didn't have cars to leave school at noon to prepare for prom, so boys started driving their tractors to school on Prom day so they could get home to get ready. Today, of course kids have means to get back and forth, but it's become a tradition. So now the tractors drive around the school roundabout and the entire student body (we are all on one campus) and faculty comes out to watch, cheer and wave as they leave school property after a few go rounds to head home. Another tradition is for the retiring teachers to ride in the first vehicle, today it was a Kaboota, decorated and driven by our superintendent. My colleagues made a crown and wand for me! It was sweet and sad all at once.
 
Alright Newbie! Glad to hear you've had a good week. Take the weekend off and start another good week on Monday. I had a major visit to the ODIC yesterday so I'm down for the count right now. :mcoffee: I just wanted to stop by there today but I couldn't even get up and ready to go. O well.

@KarriB That sounds like a lot of fun. I hope the weather was good.
 
Happy to hear it was a good,week! Did you do anything different this week?
 
@KarriB
Rested more...but this response to your question is in the past now; meaning I didn't respond for several days. I was sick in bed and then, when I tried to log back into BS I somehow forgot my password and that took a couple days to figure out.

I started back to my local gym, three times now and knew is responding very well. I walk the treadmill, 10 minutes but at an ascending level of 6 (my regular workouts consist of twice that level, twice as long and a speed of 3.5 which is pretty quick). I then do some easy leg roll-ups from behind, where your ankles are underneath a foam bar and your lying on your tummy and lifting the bar with the back of your legs...then i do about 10 minutes upper body and finish up with 5 minutes of a bicycle type machine that doesn't require a full rotation, which I cannot yet do anyway. I have to move- it's always been a part of who I am.
Must admit I am severely depressed as I have been unable to find work- this has been ongoing since I came to Johnstown two years ago. The whole idea of me moving in with my sister was to give me a place where I wasn't having to pay any bills and could focus on just getting back on my feet financially. It hasn't happened.
Very frustrating to say the least.
 
I'm sorry to hear you were sick. I have a pretty amazing immune system after 38 years of teaching. When my body stopped making white cells my big question (after when would it start making white cells again) was whether my immune system was still there or did I I have to start all over again. Answer, it was still there. I still get sick, just not as often and it seems as though I can actually feel my body fighting it

I found biking was the very best thing I could do to loosen up my knee and gain ROM. I rode or rather rocked the pedals of a recumbent bike until I could get the pedals to go around. I did have to lift my hip a bit at first to get a full rotation, but when I finally got it I let out a whoop at PT! I still ride my bike about 4 miles most days and as soon as the pools open and the weather gets warm I'll start working up to 20 laps.

What type of work do you do? I got my present job 37 years ago and haven't had to look for another job since. I did have a job offer last week from a text book publishing company, but I've decided I'm not doing anything for the first year.
 
Hang in there Newbie. You'll find a job soon. Can your sister let her friends that you're looking for a job? Another idea is to try a temp agency. You might get an assignment that could lead to a permanent job. Sometimes volunteering in the type of job you're looking for might lead you to a job. You might even look into a lower level job in a new area. I lost my job in Feb 2015 and I know how hard it is to find another one. I also have resorts in the area that contain water parks, ski slopes and hotels. Is there anything like that around you?
 
:goodpost: A temp agency is a great idea! I used to use a temp agency for summer work.
 
@newlybionic
@KarriB

Thanks for words of encouragement...Karri, much as I'm reluctant to do so, I think your suggestion about riding a bike at the gym is something I need to start doing...gently.

To both of you re: job. I am registered with the only two employment agencies in town. I have really put myself "out there", making cold calls (resume in hand), have done a good bit of volunteering, constantly mailing, emailing, snail mailing my resume out but to no avail. Not having a car is a huge detriment to the process as many people that live here actually drive to nearby towns to work. If I had an auto, I'd probably have work- I am a paralegal.

It's gotten to the point where i don't even want to apply to anything anymore-i have a stellar resume, education and experience. But no job.

You know what? Thank God I have a lot of faith. This is what keeps me going...I do believe the work will come. I HAVE to believe that...thanks for listening.
 
I'll be praying the Lord gives you His best. If you start riding keep the tension as low as possible for now. You don't want to make that knee angry.
 
Had a busy couple of days at the gym with the new knee...thought I was doing a nice easy workout (Monday/Tuesday) then yesterday walked 1 mile...other than going up and down the stairs several times each day, I did nothing else.
By last night my knee was killing me.
:dead:
Wasn't able to sleep because knee was so aggravated.
Got up this morning feeling much better, but honestly, after 10 weeks post-op didn't think I was overdoing it with the exercise...what gives?
Another issue that's coming up is that psychologically I have all sorts of energy. But physically my leg can only take about an hour of consistent movement before it gets really tired...if I sit or lie down to rest it I start going stir crazy...does this sound about right?
Much as I'd love to be working right now there is a silver lining to not working- ha
Thoughts anyone?
:sigh:
 
I don't know the answer to this Di as I'm in the same position as you. I couldn't make the gym if I wanted to as I have MS too. The heat and fatigue takes over long before the leg gives out. I don't even expect mine to do that yet as it couldn't do that before the op! If muscles couldn't do it before they sure as hell won't now unless I build them up. Lol.

I've not tried to walk a mile and have been over the moon at managing to walk one third of a mile pain free. So I walk that far then rest, then try again.

Maybe someone as energetic as you can pop on and help.
xxx
 
You are on the roller coaster ride of this wonderful recovery. It is still very normal. In the initial list of articles there is on about returning to work and it talks about a phased return to work starting at twelve weeks. You're not even there yet. It seems for me on day my mind once to get on with life and the next it's my body but I can't seem to find a day when all of me is in will get there. I'm also struggling with how much is too much. I couldn't figure it out last time and I'm still searching this time. Remember March Musketeers we are all in this together!
 
At ten weeks you still have a bit to go. I think an hour on a new TKR is great! It really is a marathon, not a sprint and just when you think you've figured it :no-fin: you haven't. Look at it as if your TKR was born 10 weeks ago. It's still a newborn and wants to be treated like one. I was on my feet most of the day, shopping for flowers, washing the car and my non TKR is unhappy.
 
@Eyesnlegs: will send you PM as I got your's this morning- AND, you are amazing, woman...

@newlybionic @KarriB
Ok...after hearing what you both had to say I guess I'm feeling pretty normal. So WHY WHY am I starting to meet people (3 in the last four days) that have ALL had great recoveries from their own tkr. And these are people our age, not youngsters?

Haven't had any issues with my non-tkr which is good. I've got arthritis in that knee too but not as bad as the tkr knee...another thing; I've noticed that when I "work out" the tkr knee It doesn't react until four to six hours later. But at the four to six hour mark after the physical activity the knee swells up, is angry, scar is darker, etc. All this occurs about the time I'm trying to go to bed so of course it takes me about two hours to fall asleep. Does anyone else experience this?
Me. Bionic, I totally "get" your attempts to synchronize your body's energy level with your mind's energy level...we finally are getting some much needed sun and warmth here in Johnstown and this is improving my attitude.
And Ms. Supremo, how is it you managed to wash your car AND go shopping today, lol...on top of that it was your GOOD LEG that was complaining. Kudos to you kiddo.:whistle:
 
Remember I ran 6 marathons post op my revision? :rotfl: There are always people that want to either tell you how horrible it was to have a TKR or how they recovered in a week. We've all met them. Or actually it's usually the cousin my fathers coworker who no one can even remember their name. I've figured that old people ( not like us youngsters) have probably slowed down their physical activity so they can just sit in their recliners most of the day and continue to use a cane for the rest of their lives. I've got to go back to work and get to the gym to lose a bunch of weight and I want to at least take my dogs for a walk. No rocking chair for any of us. My psychiatrist gave me some sleeping op pills to try and it's starting to work so hang in there and eventually we will be back to normal (whatever that is!) :loll:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom