TKR Di's Recovery Thread

The only reason I gave that advice is because I tried fighting insurance companies several times before and I would always lose and be even more frustrated.:headbang:
 
I just found out she had a PTKR yesterday and said this one isn't as painful as the first. She works on the other side of the building so I don't see her very often.
 
Questions:
I'm hitting my 3 month post-op anniversary tomorrow and not feeling great about it...
The swelling in my leg hasn't gone down one but
I'm still taking Tramadol (1-2 tabs. 50 mg. every 6 hours)
Am doing more activity than a month ago- a typical day I might either:

a) gym work. out: 5 minutes on bike, 12 minutes on treadmill plus a chore or two at home and my daily trek up and down 2 sets of stairs an average of 10 times a day, very slowly, sometimes using both legs but most of the time using one leg only
OR
b) same as above but replace gym workout with a one mile walk
OR
c) replace gym/one mile walk and
mow the lawn instead (which isn't large and I get paid for doing)

Am feeling like I should be further ahead than I am physically...pain level remains tolerable, not so much even pain but that constant throbbing, swelling, soreness that keeps me icing the knee so I can sleep at night.
Going to my OS for final appt. this week and getting a little anxious about it, I guess. So tired of being able to do so little...often just at home all day because I'm too tired to "pick my knee up and take it anywhere". It's exhausting...sorry to sound so morose.

Hope all are having a great holiday weekend!
 
Just think. What were you able to do three months ago right after surgery? Re read your activities. 2 sets of stairs 10 times a day. How many total steps is that? Plus walking to and from everywhere and treadmill, bike, chores at home, getting ready to go out, getting ready for bed, etc. you are doing a lot. You're only coming up on 1/4th of your recovery being completed. How much do you ice and elevate? You are doing well. In a year you will be doing 3 times as much. You are on your way!
 
Pumkln's dr said to elevate 2 hours for every hour you're on your feet to keep the swelling down. I'd at least try for even numbers.
 
Karri and Bionic:
You both have really "stayed close" to me (like mama angels) every step of the way down my recovery path...there is NO PRICE you can put on this type of loving encouragement and support. You both are...priceless!
:roseshwr:

Since neither of you suggested that I cut back on my activity or do less (and really, I promise I'm doing only about 1/4 of my
pre-op "life activity") I will likely continue to push forward. It's not entirely comfortable BUT... I kind of look at this time as the period I'm truly rehabbing and must continually push a little, as opposed to that first month post-op when my OS wrote that horrific script for "aggressive PT" and I couldn't deal with getting out of bed, let alone allow some ignorant PT to try and push my knee back to my thigh bone, lol
Having stated this I'll wait to see if either Cells or Josephine wants to jump here and comment...I don't really feel I can give much credence to what my OS says at my final f/u appt. on Thursday...after all, he NEVER mentioned anything about anything relative to the advice I've gotten from this website over these past months...he could have at least given me some very broad parameters, like telling me that everyone's recovery is different and that ANYONE could take up to a full year to complete their recovery...SOMETHING??? ANYTHING??
But no, not a word.
At least I'm past those "dark days"
Di
 
Try to elevate between activities. I would clean or cook, then elevate/ice for the same amount if time. That swelling is going to diminish your ROM, so do what doesn't hurt, but elevate/ice between and during down times. This is point when I used gel parks because I could grab one from the freezer when I planned on elevating. The only thing I'd say is try to keep the stairs at a minimum, they're hard on knees.
 
@Newbie tkr, I can't believe you're doing so much at just 3 months out. Give yourself some credit, you're doing so much more than others at 3 months. Just those steps 10x a day is amazing. I think you're still swelling because your knee is still inflamed because of all the work you're putting it through. Try to ice and elevate more. I bet it'll help.
 
@Newbie tkr if your knee is swelling it's telling you to slow down. Try cutting out or down specific activities. You don't want constant swelling because it causes pain.
 
Since neither of you suggested that I cut back on my activity or do less (and really, I promise I'm doing only about 1/4 of my
pre-op "life activity") I will likely continue to push forward. It's not entirely comfortable BUT... I kind of look at this time as the period I'm truly rehabbing and must continually push a little,
Having stated this I'll wait to see if either Celle or Josephine wants to jump here and comment.
I don't have anything to say, except just watch that you don't push too much. Discomfort = OK: Pain = Bad.
You know enough by now to listen to your knee and keep it happy.
 
No, not painful Celle, but a lot of nagging, uninterpreted discomfort...yeah, I catch your drift.

I truly thank you all so much for your feedback and support. I hope and I think you know what a genuine comfort you all are (Karri, Sistersinhim, Bionic, Celle) for those of us who need such reassurance; when I reach out it's because I'm alone and scared about this recovery. :sos:

Actually realized today that a muscle relaxant (Soma) that had been given to me by my neurosurgeon has been having a really nasty effect on me these past few days...at least I'm fairly certain it's been this drug...started taking last Friday, as prescribed, but have felt sooo rotten, angry, irritable (as I alluded to you, Karri, in our PM) and having some nausea too since I started taking it Friday.

Didn't really connect the dots until today, but once it dawned on me that it was probably the Soma making me feel so miserable I threw the rest of it down the toilet...


Going to sleep early tonight in expectation that I'll be feeling more myself tomorrow and thanking my angels on BS for your guidance and the angels above us for putting you here in the first place.
:angel:
Love, Newbie(nomore) tkr
 
We are here for you. In time you will be the one comforting others that are starting their TKR journey. This site is wonderful and has been a blessing to so many of us! When we receive, we want to give back to others.
 
Thanks for the recognition, Diana. I hope getting rid of the medication helps you to feel more like yourself and not so :blackcloud:. I'm trying to get revved up for a week of teaching. :spin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Since I live alone I had to make (actually microwave) my own dinners. I used a high stool to sit on to accomplish whatever I needed to do. It definitely helped a lot.

Can you please send some sun out my way to northeast PA? It's been yucky all day.
Hi Newlybionic, I to live alone, any tips will be helpful. My surgery is set for June 21, I'm already dreading how I'm gonna do with the heat, pain and swelling[emoji27]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for the wonderful report. It helps for many of us still early in recovery to hear how life will once again be full of activity that we have slowly been robbed of by arthritis. Congratulations.
 
^thanks @newlybionic I realized I posted in di's thread --not sure how I managed that--darn laptop--so my anniversary report is now in my Lefty for Kneeper thread.
 
Y'all ARE SO MUCH FUN!
Kisses, Newbie(no more) tkr
 
OK-HURRAH! Had final OS 3 month post-op f/u yesterday. Very ambivalent about going as you all know from my postings about the pain mgmt. issues, insurance company issues, OS prescription for aggressive PT issues, etc.

He had my knee x-rayed again yesterday and showed me the x-rays. He feels the replacement is a perfect fit and that my knee is healing beautifully.
He never approved of my "alternative" to his "aggressive PT" (my alternative being the BoneSmart PT).

But oh my, was he pleasantly surprised to find that my flexion was excellent and my ROM now at 100 degrees.

Don't have to see him again. Ever. Unless of course something happens to the knee. But that's not going to happen!

THANKS BONESMART!!!
:wowspring::wowspring:
 
:yay::yes!:That's great! Kick that OS out of your way. I'm glad you are doing so well. You truly are no longer a newbie!
 
I'm really glad your appointment went well. :yes!::happydance::yay:
You're over the worst of recovery and now you can let your knee take its time to finish healing.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom