Guest viewing is limited

TKR Di's Recovery Thread

The isolation was hard for me too. I think that's why I begged my OS to let me go back to work part time, he wasn't thrilled, but gave in by making it for 6 weeks. I felt by getting back to my routine I'd feel better, less isolated, and depressed. It did help, but I was exhausted. It's ok to not do anything for a day or so, but try to get together with friends even if just for coffee (just keep the leg elevated) the next day. It'll help to feel a bit normal.
 
@newlybionic
Great words of wisdom Ms. Bionic...in fact have been going out for a morning walk each day...
Actually colored my hair today for the first time since March 1st. Surgery was March 7th.
Yeah, that other thing going on- the weather here in Johnstown, PA. Sorry, it's just the worst! Yet ANOTHER cloudy, gray day in May with temp's in the low 60s...
I need to get back to SC where I can swim outside nine months out of the year.
:swim:
 
@KarriB
How long have you been back at work Ms. Supremo? I remembered you were going back but didn't realize you had already started.
Yes, checked with my old employer just to see if I could do some volunteer hours, but no go...they just don't need anyone right now.
Took it real easy today and tomorrow heading out to actually (taking your advice) see a couple of friends-i just don't want to start crying when I see them, lol...had another go-round with idiot insurance company and doctors today over my last refill on Tramadol. Will be off everything but Tylenol by the weekend. Wish me luck.
Heard today, from a friend whose 73 year old mother-in-law (here in Johnstown) had tkr done three weeks ago and is in so much pain (says doctor here under prescribing pain medication for her) that she's been buying Percocet off the street, I kid you not. Very dangerous and risky behavior. The woman is 73 years old, for crying out loud!!! And has been a schoolteacher her entire life. My friend has credibility. I believe this is what her mother-in-law is doing...say a prayer for her.
Btw, I did give my friend the BoneSmart website address:yawn:
 
We had a couple of hours of sun today but I took the day off from doing anything. Hopefully weather in all of PA will really finally become spring. Have fun with your friends tomorrow.

If your insurance won't pay for the tramadol it isn't that expensive if you have to pay for it yourself. I just hate insurance companies.

I feel sorry for your friend's mother in law. That is just awful. PA and a lot of other states have been fighting to control how much pain meds doctors can prescribe. I don't understand that they can't see that the drug addicts will always be able to get what they want and it's only the people with a real need that are being affected.
 
@newlybionic
Yes, I agree bionic. Not only that, but people like this 73 year old mother-in-law will end up getting it off the streets as well.
I remember that my OS (in fact, the entire practice he works within- Western Pennsylvania Orthopedics) refuses to give pain meds to any of their patients that are pre-op...and my OS referred me to chronic pain clinic after only 3 weeks post-op because he said I shouldn't need them anymore. Oh well, I'm done crying over spilt milk. I'm off the narcotics, no more brain fog, no more constipation pills, no more always wanting to sleep.
I do know the worst is behind me :bow:
 
I feel so fortunate that I didn't have issues getting pain medication, in fact I still I have some oxycodone in my house.
@Newbie tkr when I had my surgery 2 1/2 years ago I went back to teaching 2 months after my infection surgery and 3 months after the original TKR. I did have to beg my OS to allow me to go back part time and he insisted on 6 weeks. I knew without a doubt I couldn't go back full time, but I was worried about my students who had a brand new teacher for a sub. Teaching first graders to read is not easy and my sub was clueless. Now I'm looking at 20 more days until retirement. :yes!:
 
The isolation was hard for me too.
When I came home from the rehab after my BTKR, my wife was working at the hospital, so I was alone for most of the day. Early on, it was not bad, as I slept for much of the time, but as I progressed through recovery, I really felt alone for much of the time (which I was) and the isolation made me depressed---I would stand by the front window and watch the world go by.

I was not until I took my first several trips outside into the world that I began to get a small slice of the normalcy that we all crave so much.
 
Teaching first graders to read is not easy and my sub was clueless. Now I'm looking at 20 more days until retirement. :yes!:
I taught for 37 years, and I retired two years ago. I was a bit worried that, on the first day of the new school year, I would feel left out and would be on the outside looking in.

Anyway, on the first in-service day, I cycled 45 miles and did not miss it at all. Retirement is great!
 
Well Di as you know I had my TKR 3 days after you and I can definitely relate to everything that everyone here has said.
I'm very lucky that I've made it through on just paracetamol, it's been hell on earth but I actually forgot to take a dose today so to me that's a good sign. But I have an amazing OH who has made sure I'm not alone, that tears have been dried and hugged away, that I've ate good food and sat in the sunshine with my leg elevated, on the rare occasions we've had any here in the UK! Two hours before it hurts, OMG I can't manage more than 30 minutes! So please don't berate yourself for it!

My daughter was a hairdresser before she had the children and has cut and coloured my hair for me. I retired 3 years ago because of my MS and so already have a wheelchair and scooter at home. Today it rained hard all day so OH drove me to Physio who said she doesn't need to see me again unless I need her as she has no more challenges for me. She agreed we should book our first trip in the caravan for first week in June!

Then we drove to IKEA of all places, I walked to the restaurant and we had a lovely lunch. Then I walked back to the car we got the wheelchair out and he pushed me around whilst we bought a few frivolities and marvelled at how they pack so much in and had a good laugh together. Then we took the wheelchair back to the car and I walked back to the restaurant for coffee before coming home.

I'm not saying all this to make you jealous but just to demonstrate that even with him spoiling me and taking care of me like this I'm still fed up, frustrated and depressed! Sunshine is probably a good move we had 2 days of it and we're back to torrential rain as always lol.

I just keep looking on every tiny achievement as a major milestone in the TKR recovery. I'm never going to walk far because of my MS but at least my right knee will be pain free eventually, every cloud / silver lining eh? I don't suppose I'll ever manage to walk around IKEA!

:rofsign::loll::rotfl::heehee:

Take care
xx
 
I just keep looking on every tiny achievement as a major milestone in the TKR recovery.
That is the very best way to view it!!
I retired 3 years ago because of my MS and so already have a wheelchair and scooter at home.
I will also cycle for you this year---I cycle 150 miles for an MS ride here in the Buckeye state.
 
:flwrysmile:
Thank you @referee54, what a lovely thing to say. Yes please think of me and I'll think of you and the wind in your face enjoying the freedom of that bike ride
 
@Eyesnlegs This year, I am riding for a former colleague---a teacher who had my children in her classes. I normally take something small with me-- last year it was a medallion of a lighthouse; the year before, it was a small jewelry-sized dragonfly---these are given to me by the people that I am riding for---that way, while they cannot ride with me, they are there with my symbolically the entire ride.

If you wish, you can PM me and I will get you my address---I will take you along with me, too.

The ride is tremendously selfless and uplifting. All along the ride, there are those affected by MS who are cheering us on. It is hard to cycle with tears in your eyes...

(I won't hijack the thread anymore....)
 
@KarriB
That is so awesome Karri--20 days until retirement! Are your colleagues giving you a party, ore can you just take the cash and run...:running:
 
@referee54
...hi referee! You can hijack my thread anytime you want. Just promise you'll take it to a nice, sunny, warm place, lol
 
Well, another rainey, cool day here in western PA and I was awakened at 5am (again) by my knee. It's not so much painful as it is disruptive, very uncomfortable and sooo "noisy". So what can I take, not for pain, but just to quiet the leg down? This is what the pain meds used to so; they quieted all the turbulence in the knee.
Any, went outside and did a 1/2 mile walk...came back in, did some heel slides, elevated the knee, mediated, read some emails looked at the news and before I knew it it was 9am. Took a Tylenol PM and promptly feel back into the sweetest 3 hour sleep I've had in a long long time.
Wanted to go see friends today but still holding back...probably because of the weather (Charleston spoiled me- gonna have to get over that, I know) plus I never know how much activity is too much on any given day for my knee until the end of the day when my knee let's me know.

Besides, I have appt. tomorrow with my shrink, whom I and will stop into see one of these friends in route.
 
@Eyesnlegs
Gosh, I'm so happy for you dear-sounds like you had a wonderful day and I LOVE the way you present your stories...I meant to tell you that. You have a great knack for writing. Every time I read about your experiences I literally feel like I'm there with you.
Sorry about UK weather- it sounds quite comparable to our weather here. We have more cloudy days than not. Over it. Period. :groan:
Hugs, got your PM and will respond.
Di
 
So what can I take, not for pain, but just to quiet the leg down? This is what the pain meds used to so; they quieted all the turbulence in the knee.
Took a Tylenol PM and promptly feel back into the sweetest 3 hour sleep I've had in a long long time.
There's nothing wrong with taking Tylenol when your knee is bothering you. I'm glad the Tylenol PM worked for you.
During the daytime, you could take 1,000 mg of Tylenol (you'll need the 500 mg tablets). The safe dose of Tylenol is 4,000 mg in 24 hours, divided into four doses of 1,000 mg, taken four to six-hourly. If any Tylenol is contained in your other medications, you will need to factor that amount into your calculations as well.
 
I'm glad you got a quick walk and some sleep today. Eastern PA is just as rainy and cold as the western part. It's been cloudy and raining on and off and I can't remember the last nice day. It's got to get nice out sometime.
 
There will be one party and one luncheon that I know of. I was nominated for a teaching award and that dinner is Thursday night. Things are going to get very busy in the next few weeks, but I keep telling myself 19 days until I can relax for a loooong time!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom