Guest viewing is limited

TKR Di's Recovery Thread

Since I live alone I had to make (actually microwave) my own dinners. I used a high stool to sit on to accomplish whatever I needed to do. It definitely helped a lot.

Can you please send some sun out my way to northeast PA? It's been yucky all day.
 
We had a few hours sun early afternoon, but it's gone now. Yes, a stool is great for cutting etc. I use a stool at school also.
 
@newlybionic
We don't have any stools, but I get your point.
No sun to speak of here in Johnstown today ( I think maybe 3 minutes). This doesn't help my attitude or grattitude!
Poor sister and her hubby are going to Phili tomorrow until Wednesday, (we're about 3 hours west of Phili). She's so disappointed at the weather forecast there too. Let's do a sun dance!
 
Looks like more rain for tomorrow too! At least everything will be green.
 
Feeling really mmiserable today...so OVER this recovery. So TIRED of being in bed so much that my hips hurt from not moving around enough. REALLY disgusted with having to constantly take my meds (just Tramadol and Tylenol now) and facing yet ANOTHER day of doing...nothing! Not that the gloomy weather here is helping-

And I don't want to hear about "being patient" or "hang in there" or "you're still early in recovery"...it's not gonna help me today.

However, if you don't have anything nice to say today, please post me, lol
:eeeuw:
 
Sooo...my brother-in-law just told me that he works with two doctors; one that had single TKR and was back to work in a week, the other had BTKR and was back to work in three weeks!
Am I living in some sort of alternate universe here??
:thud:
 
Feel the same way MANY days. My husband has heard the same rant multiple times!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charmed-life
Thanks. And see...? You responded to my post within all the proper guidelines I asked for on my earlier post @ 8:45 am today. Much appreciated.
:tada:
 
I figured those docs are at work and spend the rest of their time with the leg elevated. I know no one who was comfortable going to work after 3 weeks.
 
All I got to say about those doctors is: lair, lair pants on firer!
 
Oh you guys!! Thanks so much so making me laugh!!! You made my day.
:wave:

@newlybionic
I actually thought you were serious....took me a minute to find the laughing avitar!
 
Sooo...my brother-in-law just told me that he works with two doctors; one that had single TKR and was back to work in a week, the other had BTKR and was back to work in three weeks!
Am I living in some sort of alternate universe here??
No. They are. And they'll probably suffer for it later.

I have a friend who boasted to all and sundry that he went back to work one week after a TKR. True, he did, but he doesn't tell the full story:
  • He went to work in a wheelchair,
  • His wife drove him to and from work,
  • He spent 100% of the time he wasn't at work resting in bed,
  • He was miserable and grumpy while at work and his colleagues wished he had stayed at home,
  • By the time he had recovered, his wife was a worn-out wreck, as he had her waiting on him all the time.
So, when you hear these stories of miracle recoveries, take them with a handful of salt, because they don't tell the whole truth.

You are doing fine. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't. :friends:
 
@KarriB that video really helped me this morning, I've not had a great weekend as I have MS as well and that was causing me some issues too.

When I see and hear things like this I wonder how the hell I got through the first few weeks on paracetamol and ice only! People keep telling me "your a tough cookie" but I'd rather not be!

@Newbie tkr sorry I've not been around this weekend, I've not been well and my eyesight was pretty lousy as it always is with the MS. Your not alone in this though, those who say they've done all those things just have very short memories. Your brother in laws doctor friends were probably at work on their laptop catching up on paperwork. Well that way they don't have to claim they were off sick.

Am I cynical? Damn right, when I was working a colleague of mine made sure she had her TKR, then worked from home, then did 6 months sick leave and then retired! Whilst we picked up the pieces. I now have an ex colleague who is scheduling her bunion op before she applies for retirement so she can work from home, take 6 months sick leave, etc, etc. It happens everywhere!
Hugs to ya
Xx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB
Great video! Thanks. I love Gary Stevens and have always been a huge fan of horse racing too.
Plus, he played a nice role in the movie, 'Seabiscut'
 
Uh-oh...

My precious kitty (who wakes me up every morning to feed him) accidently pounced right on top of my tkr knee around 7am.

I was still sleeping, startled when I felt him on my knee and then executed some involuntary knee-jerk (pun intended) reactions in order to "shake" him off the knee. Those involuntary movements of my knee included bending WAY too far back and up in the air...I didn't know what I was doing, but whatever it was it really kinda messed my knee up.

By 10:30am knee is really starting to hurt, stabbing pain right above knee cap, knee throbbing and more swollen than usual.

I had a script for tramadol to get refill today but my insurance company says NO, no cover on the refill (fought with them for 45 minutes on the phone) b/c I've reached my 4 narcotic prescriptions for a "rolling" 30 day period (what the heck does "rolling" mean?).

I try explaining that this is BECAUSE I'm tapering DOWN on the narcotic strength of the scripts after tkr (from Delaudid to Oxycodone to Hydrocodone and now to Tramadol( - which is why there were four scripts.,.and that they already filled the Tramadol once about 5 days ago, and No...I wasn't early on the script either. Insurance company rep says I need to make my doctors write bigger scripts for more than 30 days. I reminded her that this insurance ONLY COVERS 30 day scripts on narcotics, nothing more. The problem was that I was tirating down on the meds before I finished the 30 day scripts.

So...I said fine, no big deal, I'll pay for Tramadol out of pocket ($13) but pharmacy won't fill the script b/c they say if insurance won't cover the script it's a BIG red flag...we're talking TRAMADOL here which has no opoids or narcotic in it. It just fools the brain into thinking it's not in pain-heck! It wasn't even a Scheduled drug here in PA until 2014! It's the weakest of pain killers.

Pharmacy says have doctor call in and say it's okay for me to pay out of pocket. Doctor that wrote the script, his office closed for 3 days due to death in the family (one doctor operation-no answering service).

So far, have spent about 2 hours between insurance and pharmacy. So I (in dire need of pain relief), reluctantly head towards my last option. The ER. Was seen
immediarely (after seeing numerous signs stating that "We no longer provide narcotic prescriptions to ER patients"..
Whaaaaa???:chinstroke:
Very nice doctor there in ER, _same hospital I had my surgery done) says sorry, can't help you-go see your family doctor. I explain that my PCP has the same signs in their office (no narcotics) that the ER does and that they will not treat me for pain b/c I screwed up on a contract with a pain management clinic I was going to (another long story but won't go into now).
ER doc says she'll call my PCP for me and I was very grateful. She called them, had to leave message for my doctor so I waited 2 more hours in ER for my PCP to call back.
Bottom line, I DID get to see my PCP who wrote me another script (had the first one shredded( and also called the pharmacy to allow me to pay out of pocket.

All of this today took a total of five hours!
Not upset with the doctor's but quite frusterated with healthcare and insurance companies...
They're really cracking down here in PA on dispensing opoids because of the astronomical upswing in the abuse of these narcotics. I get that.

But really, it's made it difficult for those people who genuinely need the meds. I DON'T get that. Am home now and am never stepping foot outside my house again. Cat miraculously still alive...
:kitty:
 
I'm glad you and the cat survive such an ordeal. My local pharmacy didn't even say anything about paying out of pocket for Oxycodone when I had a script from my OS. We both live in PA. I would have probably just gone to a different pharmacy group with the script and told them I had no insurance. When I told another nurse I was taking tramadol before my surgery she had no idea that it became a controlled substance.
 
What a nightmare. What's a surgical patient supposed to do?! We need it, but suffer because of the wrongs that drug addicts do. It's just not right. And great that your cat lived through this. I'm not sure mine would have!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom