Didn't see this coming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OA hurts and gets worse surgery hurts but gets better. The pain is a lot less there is no comparison I'm now day 11 post op. But be prepared mentally for the temporary disability it is a shock. I thought oh 90 degree rule would be easy I couldn't bend by right hip that much anyway. What I didn't appreciate was that I was accomplishing most daily tasks by violating some restriction or other. I have a grab stick and a sock aid for dressing a raised toilet seat and some stools to aid sitting in the bath to shower. Much of my day is resting my hips, my brain and the rest of my body. I do go out for little walks they are not easy in fact hard work a whole body work out, but I can at least say I enjoy walking now.
Good luck Tammy the time to your op will pass quickly.

Yup - get those crutches! You'll be surprised how much pressure they take off that hip. I know it's hard to admit you need crutches - but keep thinking it's only temporary.

Thank you girls! I am picking up the crutches in the morning. Can't take this level of pain too much longer. Just sitting here it feels like my hip is on fire. But this pales in comparison to that bone-on-bone pain whenever I stand up much less move around. Tonight I am reduced to "furniture/countertop walking."

Puddle, I am not looking forward to that feeling of disability (temporary or not). However, I am experiencing a small taste of it now. It tastes yucky! I am, however, happy to see you well on the road to recovery. Did you have the right or left worked on?

I had both done maybe why my restrictions are greater. It also got to a point that I could no longer work 1 mile walk to station, hours commute and research science so on my feet all day. So fingers crossed you can work till the op.

"furniture/countertop walking" - gosh I just remembered this part. Hanging onto everything trying to make it around the house. Poor you! :console2:

Wow countetop walking. Im so surprised at how many things we all have in common here. I have a cane and crutches but i have done this alot the past few months until i admitted to myself i needed to start using the cane. Ive even used the top edges of the door frames around the house and just about anything else that would support my weight.

Thank you all for the support. It is really nice to know that I (we) are not alone in this journey. Completed all my pre-op health related activities this morning. EKG, chest x-ray, blood and urine tests all normal. The hospital has on-line pre-registration, so I was able to take care of that. Spent the afternoon today shopping and stocking up on frozen dinners, non-perishable snacks, toilet paper (lol), etc. so I one less thing to worry about.

Had to attend my high school (where I work) Homecoming football game last night. Ended up on my feet about 5 hours straight. Had tears in my eyes for most of the night as the pain was excruciating. The Homecoming dance is tomorrow night. There is a chair somewhere with my name on it. 15 days left until surgery! Hurry up November 5th.

Roll on November 5th... not long now hon!

Homecoming weekend is finally over! Was in so much pain from all the extended standing at both the football game and the dance. Noticing now that driving is getting much more difficult as well (right hip scheduled). This bone-on-bone pain is TERRIBLE! The radiating groin pain with every step isn't a walk in the park either.

Vilebyrd, I too am surprised at how many things we have in common. Tee hee... I have found countertop walking much faster than using the crutches.

Happy Monday all.

Tammy

Hi Tammy, just checking back here to see how you are doing. Gosh, I don't think I would have been able to do all that standing! Hoping the days fly by for you!

Thank you Jaycey. It is weird how the days seem to drag on forever, but when I look at the calendar, it seems the time is flying by. Trying to spend the rest of this week and some of next week preparing for my absence at work. I worry about what will take place in my absence. But I know in my heart that I have some great people working with and for me who will take care of everything.

8 days until my pre-op appointment and 13 until surgery! Roll on November 5th.

Love that you are keeping the timer going!!! I hit three weeks yesterday and she's done! Things at work will "work themselves out" (pardon the pun).

dede62

p.s. my mom and sister live in Clearwater. My sister's friend (also in your neighborhood) had both of her hips done (about 6 months apart) and she's doing great...

Thanks dede!

We will be recovery buddies :wink: Clearwater is about a 30-45 minute drive from me. I am across the bay from them. However, both sides of the bay are absolutely gorgeous. The weather now is perfect. In the mid 80's with low humidity.

I have been putting in 10-12 hour days at work trying to get a couple of weeks ahead of schedule so I am not totally swamped when I get back. Plan on setting my work phone to not accept messages, so no pesky calls to return :yay:.

I think I have almost everything ready that can be done at this point. Few minor shopping needs the weekend before and I am good to go.

How are you coming along?

Tammy

Tammy,

Things are going as well as they can. Not dealing with the counter walking that you are but I'm lucky if I can stand up and walk a straight line when I get out of a chair or off the couch.

The rest of the family will be heading to FL for Thanksgiving. I'll probably head down next fall for my sister's bday in Oct. I swore I'd never go down again in July since the air is so hot it gets sucked right out of your lungs! Plus I'm not too fond of getting eaten alive from the skeets!! I've lived in WA too long to deal with that anymore. I'm holding off on any major air travel to prevent any clotting issues to be on the safe side...

I have a brother in Richmond that still throws shot put and I'm going to miss a big meet in March. I hope to catch something during the outside season though...It's hard to believe he's still throwing after al these years and he has a knee he can't even straighten out.

Ah if we only knew what we did in our youth would have such an impact later on...

Anyway, less than two weeks for you! I'll be cheering you on!!

dede62

Dede,

I will be cheering for you as well. You are scheduled exactly one week after me. I will hopefully be resting at home when you go in.

I love the weather here in Florida. Summer is actually my favorite time of year. I love the heat and sun. I do not like cold weather.

I agree with you regarding the activities of our youth. I was so active, playing with injuries and the like. In hindsight, I might have done a few things differently...but not many..it was way too much fun.

I have noticed that my hip pain varies in its intensity depending on the shoes I wear. It is at its worst when I am walking around barefoot in my house. Wore some Crocs today and could tell the difference immediately.

Have a great weekend....if I don't "talk" to you before then.

Tammy

Tick toc Tammy, you are getting close :)

I was thinking the same thing Poppet. Although I have to admit I felt my heart drop when I read your comment. I am beginning to become very nervous. I guess as my date approaches, things become more real. Have lots of butterflies in my stomach.

Starting to wrap up some projects at work. High stress levels there.... my boss just received a promotion and tomorrow is his last day. I am second-in-command, so I am really starting to feel the pressure to "recover quick."

My husband is still on stand-by for a deployment to the Middle East, so our family is trying to deal with him shipping out with just a few days notice. With my luck, he will ship out on November 5th :headbang:

On a positive note, our weather here is beautiful, so I anticipate some lovely walks in the next few weeks.

Tammy

Oh Tammy, that is no good about your hubby and his pending deployment. My husband is ex SAS and he would to to work in the morning and return anything up to 3 - 6 months... wives were never in the loop of knowing where he was or when he would return..

Do you have a support network around you honey? - but we will be here for you 24/7 :)

Thank you Poppett. So you know what we are going through. He is currently set to deploy for one year :beg: We are in the dark as to exactly what day he will leave. You know how that goes. He is packed and his trunks are sitting in the garage just waiting for the call. While I may be used to his leaving, I certainly don't like it much. But as a career military man, what are we to do.

I have a strong support system....AT WORK. But I won't be going there for awhile. However, two of our adult daughters have moved back home recently, so I have some extra help at home :happydance:Now it is their turn to take care of me. They can shop, cook, clean, do laundry, etc. Sweet!

5 more work days, 4 weekend days, and 1 wake up to go. The time seems to be flying by so fast now. I am getting very nervous now. Big butterflies in my stomach.

Tammy

Well Tammy, the only good thing I can think of about your husband's deployment is that when he returns in a year, you will quite healed and he will get his healthy active pain-free wife back. You get to have a whole new honeymoon. :)

And we'll all be here, cheering you on. 24/7, as Poppet says.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads