Didn't see this coming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get a good wax job, you need to let your leg hair grow to 1/8 to 1/4 inch long. I'll be honest, the first time is painful when they do it, but then they put a soothing creme/gel on and it is fine. The more often you have it done the less uncomfortable it gets.

Good to know Annie! Thanks a million.

I read an article in the BMJ stating:

'Accelerated Avascular Necrosis after single intra articular corticosteroid injection into the hip joint'

Rare I would imagine though.

cited... BMJ Case Reports 2010; doi:10.1136/bcr.10.2009.2405

Firstly, I am so sorry you are going through all this. Secondly, I too am OCD about my legs being shaved but I have the answer for you. I have been doing this long before my THR and I am still doing it. Get a ruler and duct tape or any strong tape and tape a razor to the end of the ruler and bam you have yourself a shaver that allows you to shave your own legs and no broken rules. You can use a shaver that has the heads that pop off to be changed and I also prefer the shavers that has the head that curves a bit. My husband invented this for me a few years back when I could no longer reach but at that time he used a wooden paint stir stick that the hardware store gives you when you buy a gallon of paint and trust me, it works like a charm. All the best and I hope this helps

I missed this thread somehow so just catching up. So sorry you are suffering D. I too suffer from what was diagnosed as back problems for years. My hip finally collapsed so the docs started taking things a bit more seriously. Take heart - THR is a much easier recovery from any spinal surgery you have had.

Regarding the shaving thing - I am certainly not obssessed with shaving but after awhile I figured out the razor taped to a plastic ruler. Works great! Don't buy anything advertized on the net. They cost a fortune and from all the reviews they fall apart. A good bit of duct tape and a plastic ruler - part of a girl's recovery kit!

What a great tip! So innovative and inexpensive. I am so thankful that one of the good things about menopause for me is that I no longer have hair on my legs or under my arms and very little on my arms. I am more than thankful that I still have hair on my head!:heehee:

I will be heading out to my local WalMart today to pick up a plastic ruler and some duct tape. I have started making multiple lists (To do before, To bring to the hospital, etc.). The one essential thing I always bring to the hospital is an extention cord. This way I can charge my cell phone and my Kindle in a location I can actually reach. Already have lots of pillows and reusable ice packs. I picked those up the last time I was in physical therapy. The PT ordered the ice packs they used and charged me their rates. Might be something for you all to consider. I was able to purchase a very large pack (used for pretty much your entire back) for $25. It is awesome! It will last for hours and is very pliant so it will conform to any body part.

I also had an extension lead and a power board for my essential multiple toys, phone charger, iPad, even my hair dryer, so that I could sit up in bed and blow dry it... We girls must have our essentials.

Heard from the OS today. He plans on a lateral approach, cemented, ceramic/metal implant. Wow, just wow! It is starting to become more real now. November 5th wil be here before I know it.

I just received the authorization from my insurance company in the mail yesterday. My OS emailed the company the digital x-ray of my right hip and bam! Surgery was approved with no issue. The butterflies are really swirling around my stomach now.

My husband was just notified that he is on stand-by for a deployment to Afghanistan. He will be leaving the week before my surgery. He will be gone for about a year :( Talk about raining when it pours. Now making arrangements with one of my adult children to be around when I come home from the hospital. Separations are never easy, but with this one we have some notice. The last several times we only had a few days notice. This time we have about 3 weeks.

Taking the advice of all you experienced folks. Took up a couple of the throw rugs in the house. Recaulked my shower and put down anti-skid stickers. Starting to cook extra portions with our meals and freezing them. Cleaned the guest room (upstairs) in the event of an unplanned guest. Hubby and I have rearranged some of the furniture so things are easier on me when I get home. Reorganized my dresser, now have the clothing items I will need in the top couple of drawers of the tall bureau. Ordered and received a crutch bag and pads for my crutches. Put all the DVD's I have been meaning to watch on the top shelf of the bookcase. Preregistered for sugery and paid my co-pay all on-line.

I still feel like I am forgetting something...

Tammy

If any of you hippies have had the lateral approach, can you tell me what restrictions (other than the 90 degree rule) are there specific to this approach?

Thank you.

Restrictions are the same whether anterior, posterior or lateral or any other combination thereof!

Thanks Josephine. I was beginning to wonder if anyone had seen my question.

Really rough day today with regard to pain. November 5th can not get here soon enough. 19 days and a wake up to go!

Me, too. For no apparent reason a new dimension of pain (for me) has begun. Just general degeneration I guess. Hope you feel a little better soon (or a lot better!)
-nerdgrrl

Hi Damn,
I never had steroid injections but my first X ray showed the Right hip needed replacing, 2 weeks later I was sitting in the consultants office and my x rays just 4 weeks appart showed the left hip had caught up and the right was even worse. Once it's bone on bone it goes fairly quickly. I was only sent for the first X-ray to rule out OA and therefore most likely torn ligament or muscle. Nobody even suspected OA so it came as a hell of a shock. All the best with your surgery in hindsight I'm glad mine was like this rather than knowing it was on the cards and trying to eek out the time before the replacement was done.

Hi again,
Duck tape your razor to a stick and use lots of girl shaving foam this has worked for me, I found waxing too painful.
I also had to give up work 6 weeks before the op as the pain was getting worse to the point of vomiting it was just madness to carry on.

Thanks Puddlefish. The pain seems to get much worse with each new day. Yesterday was the first day I could not pull myself up the stairs at work. Severly limping now....I am an assistant principal at a high school. I have gotten so bad my students are all getting after me to "go sit down." My personal favorite is "Miss, when are you going to get your hip fixed??" I love these kids :)

I understand about wanting (or actually) to throw up from pain. I am also nauseated from the pain level. I called my surgeon to see if there was anyway to work me into his schedule a week or two earlier. No luck. Have to hang on until November 5th. How are you doing post-op? I hope it has been an easy recovery period for you.

Nerdgrl-I'm sorry to see that you too are having a rough time of it. I hope you get some quick relief. I can not believe how fast this condition deteriorates. Best of luck to you in your surgery.

Tammy

Hi Tammy! So sorry you are hurting! Try to stay off that hip if you can. Unfortunately there is little that toughes that bone on bone pain. Are you able to take any pain meds now? Hang in there!

Thanks Jacey, I wish I could stay off this hip...I plan on working right up until the Friday before my Monday morning surgery. I work on a 56 acre high school campus. Unfortunately it involves a lot of time on my feet as well as a lot of walking. The doctor wrote a script for a set of crutches, so I guess I will go pick them up and use them until well after the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties