THR dkhip1's THR recovery

dkhip1

Country
United States United States
I am brand new to this forum. I had my left hip replaced on 4/16/2024 so I'm on day 12 now. I'm feeling like I'm behind on my recovery as compared to others I know that have had a hip replaced. Most people I've talked to have been pain free and fairly mobile at 2 weeks. I'm still relying on my walker and cane at all times. I can get anywhere in my home I need to including up and down stairs but I don't feel like I've got much control over my left leg at this point. I have weaned off of the narcotic pain meds for the most part and am relying on Tylenol and ice as my pain management means. The only pain I experience is when I am up and moving. There is still some swelling and tightness. I am just searching for others going through what I am to see if I'm as far behind on my recovery as I feel.

Welcome to BoneSmart, @dkhip1! Glad you found us so early in your recovery.

You are NOT behind at all. You are still very early days in this year long recovery. While people seem to recover quicker, most of us do not. For example, I used my walker until I was a full month post-op -- and you will find many others here who did as well. But please don't compare yourself with any one else.

I will share our Recovery Guidelines with you. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Good nutrition is very important during recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi, we had our surgeries on the same day so I know what you are going through! I still have swelling in my hip/thigh area that makes it feel super tight and pain in my leg that feels like a Charley horse in multiple areas. As the days have progressed when I feel like I’m making progress, a new pain will develop that makes me feel like I’m not progressing as quickly as others either. Keep icing as often as you can and try to be patient, that’s what I’m trying to embrace as well, even though I want my recovery to progress so much faster. Mine is my R leg, the driving leg, which is another reason why I want things to go quicker!

I am brand new to this forum. I had my left hip replaced on 4/16/2024 so I'm on day 12 now. I'm feeling like I'm behind on my recovery as compared to others I know that have had a hip replaced. Most people I've talked to have been pain free and fairly mobile at 2 weeks. I'm still relying on my walker and cane at all times. I can get anywhere in my home I need to including up and down stairs but I don't feel like I've got much control over my left leg at this point. I have weaned off of the narcotic pain meds for the most part and am relying on Tylenol and ice as my pain management means. The only pain I experience is when I am up and moving. There is still some swelling and tightness. I am just searching for others going through what I am to see if I'm as far behind on my recovery as I feel.
Don't believe them.
I watched with particular attention more than one friend & relative go thru hip replacement recovery just because I knew there was going to be one not to far in the future for me.
It was very positive and encouraging watching and talking to them at the time they were recovering , but it is amazing to me how their stories change two or three years later .
One relative I enjoy getting together for breakfast with on semi weekend basis.
Well I showed up for breakfast after my second week into recovery with my cane & he questioned my still needing a cane I told him that I was still having some swelling & a little pain, and he told me he did not need a cane & was feeling no pain at all after his second week .
Don't know if he noticed the smile on my face when he said that because I distinctly remembered him not only using a cane when we met for breakfast a couple of years ago when he was just past the 2 week point but I also distinctly remember him calling me the night before suggesting that we have breakfast at a restaurant that was not our customary place to go .
When I asked why he wanted to go to different establishment he told that this other one did not have any steps at the entrance to climb and he was still feeling some discomfort climbing steps.
I can tell you I have heard similar revised testimonials of history from each and every person I observed going thru the hip replacement recovery process.
I did say to my breakfast buddy after he told me he had no pain at all and no need for a cane at two weeks just to see if I could tweek his memory back to reality:

" Wasn't that about the time you called me the night before and asked if we have breakfast at a place we had never gone before , and we only ate there that one time ? "

It still did not register with him what i was driving at so I just smiled again and let it go.
I really do not believe people revise their recovery process intentionally , I think it is more just a by product of how well they have recovered over time & mentally they just cannot picture themselves being in the state they were once in.
I have told myself that I will never be one of those people who claims to have been doing cartwheels after a couple weeks.
You are only going to get the down & dirty facts from me.
In fact as I sit hear today I am mentally kicking myself due to having overdone it ,going on 5 weeks out , by thinking I was ready to do a fair amount weed whacking around my yard yesterday.
Wrong!
It's not a sprint it's a marathon .

Kind Regards , Dorsey

If you spend any time reading our recovery posts on this board, you'll see you are not alone or behind in recovery. There's a selective memory thing about the surgery and since the end result is so good most think they recovered in a few days. All of our recoveries are documented here for all to see, the good bad and ugly of it. You won't find many 2 week wonders.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else. This is your recovery & as individual as you are.
It's not quick or painless as some will tell you. There are some folks that have amazing recoveries, that is true, but just read here & you will see most of us took the long road home.
I wish you well.

I'm 8 months out now, and all is well. I used my walker throughout the first month, and still used my cane from time to time for a couple more weeks. I'm glad I took my time and kept myself safe. It was well worth it. By the way, I am still noticeably gaining strength, even now. It's subtle, but healing and recovering full strength really does continue for a long time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hessian
Recent bookmarks
Back