THR Diary of my journey to happy times

So glad to hear that things seem to be calming down! Hopefully you'll continue to improve and that would seem to be a positive sign. I know that for example the Nuffield provide ongoing follow up support without a time limit under their price guarantee. This would generally be for complications relating to initial surgery and so a subsequent fall may not be covered. Also other providers have different policies. May be worth exploring though. I imagine they may however charge you for a consultation.

Another idea would be your surgeon's secretary. It may be that your surgeon provides service to both a private hospital and the NHS. When my surgeon heard I had experienced a communication problem with the NHS, he told me that if I experienced a problem again to contact his secretary directly. He seems quite happy to cross over between private and NHS. It's all quite complex but the surgeons have a bit of flexibility it seems.
 
Last edited:
Oh gosh Klassy, so sorry to read this. We “ recovered” close together over 3 years ago!
My biggest fear is a fall.
Sure hope rest, ice and meds help you out until your next X ray.
But what I can offer is my initial X Ray at Urgent Care here revealed no fracture. So I continued on my normal routine even though I was in pain. As it turned out my hip was fractured. And the rest is history!
 
Thankfully you're feeling better and have the confidence to be alone for a week while your husband is away. I trust that you'll do well with daily visits from friends. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction, Klassy.
Good news!
@Klassy
 
Oh wow @myglasshalffull ! I remember how we went through recovery together 3 years ago. Yes I do remember that you needed a replacement because of a fall - I always felt that you had it tougher than those of us with arthritis, because you went suddenly from being fit and well, while someone who has had arthritis feels better post-op than before. But I had forgotten that your first X-rays found no fracture.

I am a bit worried now. I was assuming that the worse case was a pelvic fracture, which gets better by itself. But what happens if a hip fracture goes untreated for a month?
 
Well Klassy that’s close to what happened to me. I fell in late January probably around the 20th & never had surgery until 2/16 when my hip just totally gave out & I could no longer walk.
I’m guessing ( and this is a total guess), that my original injury from the fall might not have been that bad but left untreated and me continuing with working, walking & going on vacation did me in. Hindsight is 20/20. The amount of pain I was in should have been a clue that it was more than just “bad bruise.” I probably should have followed up with my primary long before I ended up the way I did.
 
@myglasshalffull , Sandy dear, thanks for your story! These details are new, and give me food for thought. I remember your torrid start to the hip recovery, and I have just been back through your thread to get up to date. I see you had some downs with your ups, but what an inspirational update in August! I trust all continues well. I wish you were on this side of the ocean and could walk my dog for me!!

So, after mulling over your story, I was ready bright and early at 8 am to send a message to my GP. My GP practice is better than many in the crumbling NHS, that you can submit a problem using their online form and get a response by phone or text usually the same day. But the form opens at 8 am and closes when it reaches capacity, could be by 9am. Only Monday to Friday. Today is Monday, so my first opportunity since I got my appointment letter for X-rays in 2 weeks time.

My message was that I was still in pain unless resting, I was worried about aggravating things if I did have a fracture, and to ask if my X-ray could be done sooner.

The GP called back about midday and said she couldn’t do anything about the appointment. But I could turn up to A&E and ask for an X-ray. I thought about doing that, but it would be a lottery as to how many more urgent cases came through, very good chance I might be there over 12 hours, in a very uncomfortable environment. I asked, could I go private? Doctor said sure, if I had the resources, that would be a good idea. The results could be sent back to NHS.

So I phoned the private hospital where I had been before and got through to radiology. Yes they could do it but would need referral letter from GP. I wish the GP had mentioned that! I guess it makes sense, X-rays have side effects and you can’t have Jo public buying one on a whim. The private hospital person said they would phone me to arrange once they had the referral and after a private doctor had reviewed it, they should be able to do it within a couple of days. The main delay would probably be in getting the referral through from the GP.

So back to contacting GP practice, I took a punt that I would be able to phone my request rather than do the online form thing, and I did indeed get through after just a few minutes on hold, and someone will convey my request to the GP.

So I have done all I can and will just have to wait for the call from the private hospital.

H, who flies out tomorrow, is very bothered by all this but I have insisted that either a friend if available, or a taxi if not, will be able to get me there and back just as well as he could. And if I find myself heading to surgery and likely to be discharged before his return, I will book myself into a rehab care home and Tula into kennels and all will be well.

I forgot to inquire about the price. But H and I agree that whatever it is is worth it. If I can get the X-ray 10 days earlier and it costs £1000 (just guessing, hopefully less), that’s only £100 a day for either peace of mind (if X-ray comes back clear or shows something self-healing), or worst case, if it shows I need surgery I can get that started and start on my recovery journey that much sooner. People spend more than that for a holiday.

I know I am lucky to be able to afford it. We aren’t rich, but I have always been someone who puts money away for a rainy day. Lately it has been raining on me quite a bit! But we are still above water.
 
Personally, I think reassurance is important and I've dug into savings I was fortunate enough to have set aside for medical help to navigate NHS waiting times. I really hope that the outcome will reveal a temporary trauma rather than a fracture but I'm sure both you and your husband will appreciate having certainty. Hope it all goes well!
 
@Klassy …. I think you handled this just the right way to get the reassurance you need going forward. The chances are very good that you don’t have a fracture, but just angered up a lot of soft tissue.

One thing about fractures and x-rays, though….there are times if a fracture is small enough, that it doesn’t show on an x-ray and a scan is needed instead. In these cases the treatment is usually non-surgical and involves lots of rest for several weeks so that bone healing can take place on its own. For this reason, even if this new x-ray is clear, please take things very easy in the coming weeks. The thing to watch for is increasing pain or no lessening of the pain after a couple of weeks. Either of these would mean you need to try to get imaging done beyond just an x-ray.

How is your leg when you try and put weight on it? I hope you’re seeing some improvements there.
 
Thank you @Jamie , I will take your advice, take it all very slowly and monitor my sensations.

I can stand reasonably comfortably with weight equally on both feet and no crutches (though crutches are close at hand). The pain level of that is about 2 out of 10, mostly in the front where left thigh joins body.

I can walk, putting a lot of pressure on my crutches, with one foot passing the other by a few inches each step. That is, the net distance forward at each step is about 6 inches, maybe 10 inches at my best. I am better at that in the afternoons. While walking, the pain is around 3 or 4 with stabs to 6 or 7, and strikes in varying places in and around the left leg, and in the left lower back.

The really difficult and painful thing is getting in and out of lying in bed. There is always a point where I am wrestling my bad leg into position with my hands and good leg.

I have seen improvements.

The first couple of days, I could only walk by putting the great majority of weight on my crutches and not lifting my good leg at all. Just sort of inching it forward.

But walking hasn’t really improved since Day 3.

Rising from a sitting position to standing is I think still improving very gradually.

Of course, when I say I can’t walk or whatever, I mean I stop as soon as the pain gets to 7 or more. If I wasn’t such a coward I might be striding round without crutches.
 
No, no….you should not be “striding around with no crutches”!! You are not a coward. You are being smart and handling your recovery from this fall correctly. Use those crutches as much as you need them. Trying to soldier through obvious pain is never good and can actually do additional damage by causing your body to try and compensate for the pain by not moving properly. The crutches will help you eventually regain a good gait. This is the ONLY way to recover properly, so do not feel guilty at all.

What you’re reporting sounds consistent with expected recovery progress after a major fall. This is very good news. Unfortunately it may be weeks before you begin to see a lot of progress, so it’s important to be patient and take care of yourself. It’s okay to use paracetamol for any pain you’re experiencing. That keeps inflammation down. Just be sure to take it on a regular schedule for maximum benefit and not just when the pain appears.
 
Sounds like you are doing all you can for right now. If you read my thread you will see I went back to work shortly after my one year anniversary. Felt great. Until I didn’t. I didn’t fall but the running around in a busy restaurant did me in after 3 weeks so much so that I could barely walk & sure I had done something to jeopardize my hip. I even was back on cane & spent most of my time laying on heating pad alternating with ice. Went for X-ray once again & hip was ok but pain continued. Doctor prescribed some prednisone & muscle relaxers which did help. I got a referral to go into Boston to Mass General Brigham where that OS ordered MRI and also said hip looked fine on X ray. Well turned out I have spinal stenosis and that what was making me so sore but the pain felt like it was in my hip. Saw spine surgeon who said no surgery would be necessary but I could get shots for the pain. Bottom line in about 3 weeks time I was fine once again. And you might be as well! Never took the shots cause I just got better.
And even though I’m doing great there’s a day here or there that I need 1/2 hour with an ice pack and just literally chill out! My back rears its ugly head now & then.
Keep us posted!
 
Whoah, spinal stenosis! I had to Google that one. You have had some tough times @myglasshalffull , but you have come through and are an absolute marvel for what you pack into your life. How lovely to read about your happy returns to VI. That took real courage after the hip experience there. I’m glad to hear that you got better by yourself. I feel like I am doing rather better today, so optimistic that I too may be self-healing.

Progress with getting my X-ray has a touch of Kafka about it, like so many of my interactions with the medical professionals. I won’t give the tedious details, just sum up that I have chased and found incompetence at both ends of the communications from NHS to private, I have possibly got things to move, but basically still where it was 27 hours ago. I am not too bothered if it doesn’t happen to be honest. It is not just the matter of spending the money to go private, it is the faff and discomfort of having to arrange transport there and back. The NHS appointment, though in what seemed like the distant future, has the huge advantage of being scheduled for after husband H gets back from his trip. And the private hospital is 30 minutes drive away, whereas the NHS X-ray centre is literally round the corner of my road.

I am just going to lie back comfortably and wait for the private hospital to get back to me with a convenient appointment time, and see how I am feeling at that point.

H is on his plane now, and that is a load off my mind. I really didn’t want to wreck his well deserved holiday again. And although life on crutches is trickier without his help, it is also a lot more peaceful! Bless him, he does worry about me and sometimes that gets stressful. But he is the best thing that ever happened to me.
 
You seem pretty in control of the situation! I'm glad H got off on his trip without a hitch. Hope you're able to get plenty of rest and relaxation and things continue to calm down a little!
 
Hi @Klassy Just catching up with your latest adventures.
Navigating the NHS is increasingly frustrating - good you seem to be in control, keeping calm and taking things one day at a time.
Best wishes
 
Hi Klassy,
Sounds like hubby is a loving partner and caregiver...such a blessing! I hope you do well while he's gone and he's able to relax while he's away celebrating his sisters birthday. Between daily visits with friends and cuddling with Tula, hopefully the week goes by quickly and hubby notices real improvement in you upon his return. :fingersx:
Take good care!
@Klassy
 
I had my hip replaced in August of 2018 and recall seeing your name pop up during the time I was leaning on the support and information from Bone Smart. :) You sound like you have been both patient and proactive at the same time. Your plan of action to get more info seems well thought out and wise. I hope you are able to get the tests and appointments that you need as soon as possible so you are able to eliminate or confirm possible causes of your pain. It's's so hard when you have been doing well, and then some slip, fall, accident, or even mystery results in a change in status and you are having to reset, or deal with the new pain/issue. Good luck!
 
Thanks @Debru4 , I do remember you from earlier in my journey. I have looked in on your thread and it’s great to see you are doing well, out hiking and enjoying life. I had forgotten till I re-read your thread that you had also had a fall post-op. Which, like my recent one, caused much pain without actually breaking anything. And got well by itself eventually. (Though eventually can be a long time).

An update on my progress. To recap, Day 1 X-ray showed no break. Day 7 I contacted GP because of no improvement. She said she would refer me for a weight-bearing X-ray. Day 10, I received a letter with appointment for X-ray at a local clinic, but not till Day 26. Day 12 (the next working day) I contacted GP again and asked if X-ray could be sooner. No, only option was go to Emergency or go private. I contacted a private hospital, contacted GP office to request the necessary referral. Day 13, I contacted private hospital to inquire about progress, they had received the referral but doctor hadn’t signed it. Contacted the GP office again and they promised to get signature…. To be continued
 
Oh boy…so frustrating! Here we can get X-ray pretty much right away. We have walk in ER type spots as well as just calling our primary if we have an injury & they send you for X ray.
Have you noticed any improvements as far as overall discomfort?
 
Continuing the saga…Day 14, hadn’t heard from the private hospital. A neighbour came to check in on me, and I told him my story. He said he had been to local clinic as a walk-in when he accidentally hammered his hand, they seemed never busy. He offered to drive me there to try my luck as a walk-in. We went there, I was seen quite quickly and they were willing to do an X-ray there and then. Brilliant! Until I got to the radiologist and she said, sorry, we can’t do hip X-rays here, don’t have the equipment. I said, but I have an appointment here for 6 October! She said, that is the GP’s mistake, they are forever sending us patients we can’t help. She told the admin person to cancel my 6 October appointment.

On the plus side, she did look at my Day 1 X-ray and said she could see no fracture and in her opinion I don’t need another X-ray.

Even more on the plus side, now Day 16, I am definitely improving! I am naturally taking bigger steps with my crutches, and getting out of bed is less painful, though still hard to get back in. And last night I literally turned a corner, in that I was able to roll onto my good side and sleep there for a few hours, instead of on my back which was previously the only comfy position.

Just to tidy up the X-ray saga: I contacted the private hospital and said I didn’t require the X-ray now. The person who answered said they didn’t have a referral for me anyway! So I contacted the GP practice to say if the referral was still on their to-do list, please take it off the list because I was getting better. I also mentioned the fact that the local clinic doesn’t do hip X-rays and they might want to look at their systems so as not to send unsuitable patients there. An admin person was kind enough to phone back and say she would pass on the message that I didn’t need referral, and that she was pleased I was getting better. She sounded nice, so I didn’t mention their systematic problem of sending people to the local clinic who couldn’t be dealt with there. The NHS has lovely people working there, like the ambulance crew who collected me and the hospital doctor and many others, but their admin systems are so creaky. Mind you, my experiences with the private hospital system have not been great.

Maybe my expectations are too high.
But having just seen comment from @myglasshalffull , I think my expectations are reasonable and the system is ridiculous.

But hey-Ho, getting better all the time, Tula snuggled at my side, dog walker due in 30 minutes, husband enjoying his visit to his family. Some great stuff on the TV. Life is good.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom