@myglasshalffull , Sandy dear, thanks for your story! These details are new, and give me food for thought. I remember your torrid start to the hip recovery, and I have just been back through your thread to get up to date. I see you had some downs with your ups, but what an inspirational update in August! I trust all continues well. I wish you were on this side of the ocean and could walk my dog for me!!
So, after mulling over your story, I was ready bright and early at 8 am to send a message to my GP. My GP practice is better than many in the crumbling NHS, that you can submit a problem using their online form and get a response by phone or text usually the same day. But the form opens at 8 am and closes when it reaches capacity, could be by 9am. Only Monday to Friday. Today is Monday, so my first opportunity since I got my appointment letter for X-rays in 2 weeks time.
My message was that I was still in pain unless resting, I was worried about aggravating things if I did have a fracture, and to ask if my X-ray could be done sooner.
The GP called back about midday and said she couldn’t do anything about the appointment. But I could turn up to A&E and ask for an X-ray. I thought about doing that, but it would be a lottery as to how many more urgent cases came through, very good chance I might be there over 12 hours, in a very uncomfortable environment. I asked, could I go private? Doctor said sure, if I had the resources, that would be a good idea. The results could be sent back to NHS.
So I phoned the private hospital where I had been before and got through to radiology. Yes they could do it but would need referral letter from GP. I wish the GP had mentioned that! I guess it makes sense, X-rays have side effects and you can’t have Jo public buying one on a whim. The private hospital person said they would phone me to arrange once they had the referral and after a private doctor had reviewed it, they should be able to do it within a couple of days. The main delay would probably be in getting the referral through from the GP.
So back to contacting GP practice, I took a punt that I would be able to phone my request rather than do the online form thing, and I did indeed get through after just a few minutes on hold, and someone will convey my request to the GP.
So I have done all I can and will just have to wait for the call from the private hospital.
H, who flies out tomorrow, is very bothered by all this but I have insisted that either a friend if available, or a taxi if not, will be able to get me there and back just as well as he could. And if I find myself heading to surgery and likely to be discharged before his return, I will book myself into a rehab care home and Tula into kennels and all will be well.
I forgot to inquire about the price. But H and I agree that whatever it is is worth it. If I can get the X-ray 10 days earlier and it costs £1000 (just guessing, hopefully less), that’s only £100 a day for either peace of mind (if X-ray comes back clear or shows something self-healing), or worst case, if it shows I need surgery I can get that started and start on my recovery journey that much sooner. People spend more than that for a holiday.
I know I am lucky to be able to afford it. We aren’t rich, but I have always been someone who puts money away for a rainy day. Lately it has been raining on me quite a bit! But we are still above water.