THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Sounds like a no brainer with free anything! I don't know what that monetary amount signifies though.
I'm not sure how to convert to American dollars, I'm going to go google it.
When I figure it out, I'll either come back with this > :thumb: OR this > :yikes:
@HertsHippy
 
:thumb::thumb: Two thumbs up.
Looks like around $25 if I'm converting right.
For steak, wine and free things, for two, you're right...great deal!
 
Day 68. Cloudy but still mild, 12C (54F) and no wind. We visited the same seaside spot that was the destination for my very first outing on Day 16. On that occasion I barely made it out of the car park, so it was a great reminder of how far I have come, to stroll along comfortably for quite a distance. I notice that parents and dog owners in notional control of boisterous creatures are far less considerate now I only use one crutch. That’s fair enough I suppose, I don’t need so much consideration. But I did have a couple of anxious moments when I would have liked a bit more space. I would love to go out without any aids because my hand and shoulder are getting sore, but we will have to find a less popular spot to attempt that.

Back home I did several 10 to 15 minute sessions of practice with our bellringing simulator, working on a method I am finding a challenge (Bristol Surprise Major, in case you are wondering).

I’ve been sleeping slightly better the last couple of nights. I can sort of get to sleep lying on my non operated side. It varies, sometimes it feels beautifully comfortable and sometimes I just can’t get in the right position. However after a couple of hours at most my body tries to rearrange itself, and then I half wake in a tangle because I am so wedged in with pillows to keep me in the side position. I tend to wake up on my back with knees bent. This morning my knees and lower back were so stiff as a result that I could barely get out of bed. Everything loosens up with movement, then locks up again when I stop. I’m beginning to feel like a Great White shark. Not the teeth, dorsal fin, scary theme music etc, but in the way they have to stay in constant motion to stay alive.
 
PS sorry to hear about your MIL traumatic weeks @HertsHippy, and I hope you have found a good place for her.
 
However after a couple of hours at most my body tries to rearrange itself, and then I half wake in a tangle because I am so wedged in with pillows to keep me in the side position. I tend to wake up on my back with knees bent. This morning my knees and lower back were so stiff as a result that I could barely get out of bed. Everything loosens up with movement, then locks up again when I stop. I’m beginning to feel like a Great White shark. Not the teeth, dorsal fin, scary theme music etc, but in the way they have to stay in constant motion to stay alive.

Perfect description of my sleeping pattern.:sigh:
I can certainly sympathize as uninterrupted sleep was top of my To-Do list after the years of horrid sleep prior to surgery.
Hope you are getting a nap in during the day.
All temporary....so keep the faith @Klassy!:loveshwr:
 
Happy Sunday to you :hi:
Those crutches certainly do keep people away. Go down to only one and they move in closer, lol.
Your walks sound lovely, 54F sounds wonderful....if only!
Well, Spring will come again, Klassy and I hope yours is one of the best ever! :SUNsmile:
@Klassy
 
Day 69. H is away so I had a quiet day, a bit of gardening, tidying, reading. I practised ringing, and managed 536 blows (pulls of the rope), about 20 minutes, of Bristol before I lost my way in the method. My hip was getting a bit achy by then. Standard performance length is 1280 so there is a way to go before I’m back to normal, but it was a decent effort.

Something new: I had downloaded some 80s dance tracks for indoor walking, and went upstairs to walk where there is nice soft carpet for a bit of a change. I decided instead of walking I would have a dance. Not anything @SurreyGirl would recognise as dancing! Somewhere between Dad dancing and low impact aerobics class circa 1982. I was impressed how well Lavender took to it. We had fun.
 
That sounds like fun!! A bit of a slow dance would be great exercise and as you say, a change of pace! Just don't do the limbo!! LOL

I guess because both my leg & hip breaks were due to falls I was very scared of people moving too fast around me. At one point I was concerned I was going towards PTSD. I still get jumpy around people moving fast or crowding me but still have hope with the next surgery I will move past that.
 
Day 70, 10 weeks!

I try not to be frustrated, but recovery takes a long time. Stiffness continues. Weird feelings in my leg. I wish I knew what was going on in there! Sometimes, when walking, particularly at the start, it feels like things are sliding over each other and getting slightly snagged. Sometimes, when I’m sitting or standing, it feels like a cramp is coming on almost like a bubble swelling inside the muscle, which goes away once I move. The good leg joins in now and then.

On the plus side, I had a better than average night’s sleep, able to lie on my side for longer. I did the walk round the block in a new record time, 18 minutes. 2155 steps so a longer stride too.

And exciting news, we are invited to a friend’s wedding at the end of June. This friend loves Scottish dancing, the kind that is a bit like square dancing, not the highland fling type, and that’s how she met her fiancé, so the wedding is sure to feature it . She had a 50th birthday party two and a half years ago with a band and dancing. I remember how little I could dance, the side stepping involved was so painful. I really hope my left hip will be recovered enough and the right hip not too far gone so I can enjoy it more this time.
 
Something new: I had downloaded some 80s dance tracks for indoor walking, and went upstairs to walk where there is nice soft carpet for a bit of a change. I decided instead of walking I would have a dance. Not anything @SurreyGirl would recognise as dancing! Somewhere between Dad dancing and low impact aerobics class circa 1982. I was impressed how well Lavender took to it. We had fun.

Circa 1982, Hmm :chinstroke:
You were dancing to - Its Raining Men...I just know you were, you wild woman! :wink: :heehee:

Hope your week is a good one :)
@Klassy
 
Hi @Layla , no, but I do love that song! Will add it to my playlist.
 
I am sure you will be up to dancing by June! 6months our was good for me re dancing.

Not such a good day for me today. Very achy but going swimming with a friend tonight and, if tired we will retire to the jacuzzi for a bubble and a gossip. She has got me a guest pass for tonight.
 
Day 71. Sleeping more of the night on my right side meant I woke with a heavy ache on outside of left shin, which obviously had some objection to its position. But without the stiff sore lower back that I’ve had every previous morning from back sleeping. All a work in progress.

I managed to clock up 630 of Bristol in my ringing practice, more progress.

Another sunny day, we are so lucky. I know there is still plenty of time for ice and snow yet, but it is hard to believe spring isn’t here. There was a bumblebee visiting the crocuses and the birds are building their nests.

We walked about 2 miles by the sea with a couple of short rests. I carried my crutch for short spells when the path was clear. My hip began to twinge after maybe 30 yards so I would revert to the crutch until it settled. So not ready yet to leave the crutch behind, but getting there.
 
The birds building their nests is a sure sign of Spring being just around the corner!!! We have yet more snow in the forecast for tonight and ice rain for the day tomorrow :bawl:
 
Wow, you are doing great, @Klassy--getting back to doing what you love, even if perhaps more slowly than you'd like. But being able to walk 2 miles by the sea sounds pretty impressive to me, and keeping that crutch close at hand seems sensible to me. Can't relate to all that talk about "spring" as I am still a bit shocked at the miserable snow we had the last two weeks. All gone now except for a few errant clumps, and I am so glad. I don't consider it spring until April, no matter how many suspiciously pleasant days we might have. It is rainy and dreary here in the PNW, overcast and raining. But, it's been enough to get rid of all that horrid snow from last week, so I am trying not to complain too much. Keep on keeping on!
 
Day 71. ……...

We walked about 2 miles by the sea with a couple of short rests. I carried my crutch for short spells when the path was clear. My hip began to twinge after maybe 30 yards so I would revert to the crutch until it settled. So not ready yet to leave the crutch behind, but getting there.

That is a very sensible way to do it… I carry my Leki with me when walking and then use it if I start to ache but gradually increasing distances… You are doing brilliantly!

We have a pair of blackbirds scurrying about, one with a very bright yellow beak so I predict babies shortly.. Love this time of year - even though it is still February..
 
Last edited:
I hope I haven’t been insensitive reporting on our good fortune with the weather, when others are still suffering the grimness of winter. I know our weather may turn dreary any time, so I always want to celebrate every moment of sunshine. Here’s hoping the sun shines on all Bonesmarties this next weekend.

Day 72 brought a significant milestone: first long car journey ( as passenger). We had to do a 200 mile trip. We broke up the journey with 3 stops, roughly every hour, so I could get out and stretch. Very stiff on getting out of the car but it wore off fine. Fortunately the motorways behaved, so the whole trip including stops was done in five and a half hours.

An amusing aspect: when we reached our destination their car park was closed for repairs. H went in to ask where the nearest alternative parking was, and expressed his concern about how far I might have to walk. As I’ve mentioned before, he has a tendency towards the overprotective. He came out looking sheepish and whispered “Take both crutches and limp, the lady is moving her car out of the staff car park to make room for us, then she’s opening the door with disabled access”. So I had to remember to limp all evening!
 
i can only speak for myself but I don't take any offense in you mentioning beautiful weather. I'm happy you're experiencing and enjoying it. Hailing from the frozen tundra, I know Spring is just around the corner.

Yay for one more milestone - The Long Car Ride :yay:
Maybe you need to do some preventative icing tonight so you're not hurting
tomorrow from all the faux limping :wink:

Enjoy the evening! @Klassy
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom