THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Glad to hear you are enjoying the weather and the trip!
Hope the rest of your week is sweet!

Day 73: and then we had to do the whole 200 miles again to return home. In between was another first for the new hip, a night in a hotel. I was a little concerned when we booked the trip that I might find the travelling and sleeping away from the familiar safety of home a bit gruelling, but in fact I really enjoyed sleeping somewhere different after too long in my makeshift downstairs nest. (I have said to H that it’s time for me to move back upstairs, but there are a couple of logistical issues to sort out before I can do that. Not least that H’s stuff has expanded to occupy all my space upstairs!)

The drive home was fine. We did get a traffic jam on the infamous M25 so I had a somewhat uncomfortably long gap, about 90 minutes, between breaks, but no lasting discomfort.

Another example of how recovery consists of forgetting: for 2 days in a row I’ve forgotten that I can’t yet balance to put my trousers on standing up. I found myself balancing on the operated leg halfway into my trousers and then bailing out when a twinge from my hip reminded me I wasn’t quite ready for this yet. I take this as a good sign. I started with some weeks of awkwardly putting my foot in a scrunched up pants leg and pulling up with the reacher, to cautiously stretching to put on my trousers while seated without using an aid, to putting them on while seated without thinking about how to do it, and now I’m beginning not to think about the process at all. It all reassures me that some day I will indeed be back to normal.

It's-a-coming...:loveshwr::happydance::loveshwr:
Hope your weekend is sweet, @Klassy!

Yes, you will be back to normal, even forgetting about your prosthetic at times.
I'll bet you're going to have a wonderful Spring and Summer.
Great times yet to come!
@Klassy

Oh, @Klassy, I think that is what I am striving for (still...), that blissful forgetfulness about one's operated hip. I long for the days past when I never even thought about any particular body motion, I just did what I needed naturally and without thinking about it. Even if you catch yourself in the middle of something, like trying to balance in order to pull on pants, I think that's great--just means that at some point you WILL reach the point where you won't have to think about something before doing it. I know I have a way to go, but that will be a real high for me, when I'm able to do body motions (standing, getting out of cars, etc.) easily and without any forethought. And while I agree that many of us are jealous about your spring-like weather (me included) it's always nice to read that somebody isn't caught up in the throes of miserable, snowy, and cold weather somewhere.

Oh, @Klassy, I think that is what I am striving for (still...), that blissful forgetfulness about one's operated hip....that will be a real high for me, when I'm able to do body motions (standing, getting out of cars, etc.) easily and without any forethought.

I feel the same way Barbara. Having said that, I have to add that today’s post from @annie57 is a reminder to be patient about reaching that blissful destination. That twinge in my hip, could be it’s not just any old twinge, but HADAR, Hippie’s Anti Dislocation Automated Reminder. It will be getting my respectful attention.

Day 74. I was full of energy today. Walked to the post office, cleaned the bathroom, did some laundry, walk by the coast, a spot of gardening, some cooking, clearing up... I was careful, honestly! I kept repeating to myself, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should, and I did a lot less than I wanted to. But I suspect I may have overdone it a teensy bit.

Sounds like you had a great day! See what tomorrow brings. There is always ice and rest to fall back on if you overdid it a bit. I don't think it hurts to stretch yourself a smidge...just to see if you're able with no ill effect. I hope you feel good for the weekend and have a great one!
@Klassy

Oh, @Klassy, I love the "HADAR" reference! I'd love to think it's that, and not aging, that prompts the twinges but I really don't know yet--almost 5 months out so until it's at least 6 month, the jury is out on aging vs recovery. Regardless, we all just need to keep plugging along. Sounds like you had a great day 74, with lots of "normal" activities to fill your time even if you did overdo it a bit. As @Layla notes, a bit of rest and ice will nip any problems in the bud. Keep on doing what you're doing because it's working! Hurray for you!

@Barbaraj, it’s a twinge is what it is. Not aging! I’ve seen on your thread how much exercise you are doing, it’s not surprising you feel it the next day or so, but it will only be temporary. And then 5 months isn’t long for things to knit together. I broke my wrist some years ago, and I think it took 2 years for the last little twingeiness to go and to get full rotation. So the healing continues for a long time in the background, well after we are mostly back to normal.

Day 75. Feeling pretty good, last night it felt like a herd of horses had galloped over me, but by this morning it was apparently only a Shetland pony. Still, I took things a bit easier. And, drum roll, I achieved 1250 of Bristol Surprise Major on our Saxilby ringing simulator. That’s 45 minutes of concentration while standing balanced. It should have been 1280 but I had made a blunder in the computer setting so it stopped just short of the quarter peal, but that’s just a technicality. When I think that it was only 13 days ago that I returned to using the Saxilby, I’m amazed by the rate of progress. I have now committed myself to ringing on real bells next week. Normality beckons!

Another great report, @Klassy! It must be so satisfying to get back to an activity you love so much. Being able to fully engage, physically and emotionally, in something like that must really be uplifting for you. When I read your posts, I wish I had some sort of passion like this to encourage and inspire me. My goal is to get back my strength and flexibility, but only in service of day to day living, and being able to exercise without pain or stiffness (definitely not there yet). Anyway, it's lovely to read about you steadily being able to resume a much loved activity. Very inspirational!

Thank you @Barbaraj , you are very kind. I hadn’t thought of it that way, but you’re right, I am very lucky that I have two passions, ringing and gardening, that I look forward to resuming. In fact I spent much of today in the garden, doing light work and enjoying the fresh air and more glorious sunshine.

As my hip feels more secure I’ve been working on strengthening exercises. I managed 1 minute 23 seconds balancing on my operated leg. I also tried it with my eyes shut, something the physio suggested. I could only manage a few seconds, but it’s a start. I also tried stepping onto the first stair with my operated leg leading. This has felt impossible. I have been relying on my right leg for all stair work for probably a year so the muscles in the left leg have become lazy. I told them sternly it was time to step up. To get started I had to take a lot of the weight by heaving on the banister, to the point where I was wondering if this was a sensible thing to do to our 110 year old banister. But gradually my muscles began to remember what they were there for.

It’s time for my 10 day progress report.

To recap, Day 66 was “Walking confidently without aids at home most of the time, still using crutch on first getting up in the morning. Walk outside with one crutch, at 2 mph. Confidently using stairs at home, though not with alternate feet. Can put on socks without using aids. Have made first cautious return to bellringing and gardening. The lump is now about the size of a cherry. Sleep is still not great but can manage about an hour on non operated side. Not much pain but a lot of stiffness, still take pain meds occasionally.”

Day 76: All walking at home and in the garden is without aids. Walking outside I take one crutch but only use it intermittently. Stairs are still non-alternating but working on it. Can almost but not quite reach my toes - in the race between toenails and flexibility I have conceded that the nails are winning and have made an appointment with a chiropodist (podiatrist) to get them cut. Hobbies getting close to normal. I’ve taken two long car journeys on successive days. I can still find the lump, but I have to search for it - a small divot is actually more noticeable than the lump now. I am hoping this won’t impact on my prospects of a career as a Victoria’s Secret model. I sleep about half the time on my operated side, which means better nights. I took a few pills in the last week. I still get a lot of stiffness but I think it is lessening.

I’m very pleased with how things are going. I hope all fellow Bonesmarties are also enjoying life, or will be soon.

I feel like you are doing so well in a very realistic way. Although I will not try to match my recovery to yours I feel it's a good guideline. I will use the word again (sorry), your notes are realistic give or take for our differences along the way. Like @Barbaraj , I don't have bells to ring (sadly - that would be SO cool) but I do have grandchildren to play with, walks to enjoy, camping weekends to treasure and ingredients begging to turn into 5 star dishes :whistle:
As you move beyond your more significant stage of recovery, I do hope you take the time to continue to post & share. There are a few of you on the board currently that I see as good mentors and I am sure others do too!

Ring those bells, Klassy!!! Next we visit the UK, I will make a point of finding out where to hear the ringers! :flwrysmile:

@Carriemay60 , thank you for your support. You are one of the people I was particularly thinking of when I hoped my fellow hippies will be enjoying life soon. I know it has been tough for you lately and there’s still a way to go before your surgery date, though not so long now. All the pleasures awaiting you sound so great. Even the camping, though I hope you have a top notch air bed in your tent. I haven’t been camping for years, but I remember how lovely it was to wake up with nature all around- but also how darn hard the ground was!

glamping.jpg LOL!! Our son helped us enjoy a four day weekend of camping last year. We have some very good 6" airbeds but alas I got the one with the leak the 1st night. Hubby had drank a bit too much wine and only paid minimal attention to me so I did my best to sleep in the back of the car whilst spitting feathers! Somehow that stupid mattress kept getting mixed up and everyone had their turn but it was promptly put in the bin when we got home! I just love camping! We went "glamping" a few years ago. Not a budget friendly few days but the resort owners got a kick out of us doing steak with bearnaise, fine red wine, etc. This had a gorgeous log bed, beautiful linens, bbq, china dishes, stove top but $275 a night Canadian! Worth every penny at the time!

Last edited:
I managed 1 minute 23 seconds balancing on my operated leg.
- is impressive and shows that the muscles are getting so much better. Balancing with eyes shut is hard! It is an exercise for training the brain rather and is great for balance generally.

I also tried stepping onto the first stair with my operated leg leading. This has felt impossible.
- I was the same - for a long time before my op I led with my good leg.
I have been relying on my right leg for all stair work for probably a year so the muscles in the left leg have become lazy.
- in my case it was the muscles being weak rather than lazy - my right leg had become much smaller than the left. It is getting much better now but I cannot lead with the operated leg on very high steps.

Yesterday was beautiful and I caught the sun walking in Kent (you might call it SE London) - Eltham Palace and the art deco Courtauld house, Beckenham Place Park (where they are restoring the lake with beach) and past one of Kent Cricket Cub's grounds. Doing it as part of the 75 mile Capital Ring walk round London. I daren't say how many steps I did - ended up in our local Ivy for a well-earned dinner.

Looks like yet another great sunny day to enjoy outdoors. Autumn was a great time to have the op - after the garden was tidied up for winter, out of action when the days were short and the weather dull and getting back to normal when the good days return and work can begin in the garden again.

Keep up the good work @Klassy

Good morning, @Klassy--it is a beautiful day in my part of the world, with sunshine and blue skies. It's quite a mood booster as I'm dragging this morning. I completely overdid it yesterday with my party prep, and I'm clearly paying the price this morning. On any other day, I'd pull out my Kindle to read but having lost it and the new one not arriving until tomorrow, I will have to find other things to do that don't involve a ton of work. I think some gentle housework today, and a walk with a neighbor this afternoon if I'm feeling up to it, is good plan. If I was a gardener like you, it would be a good day to get out there and grub in the dirt, but it's cold out there and while I enjoy the sunshine, I hate the cold and I have no idea what I'd actually do in the garden. I could clean up the endless amount of debris deposited everywhere by a huge redwood tree, but that doesn't seem like much fun to me. I will do this when warmer weather arrives (if ever...heavy sigh) but for now I'll stay away from gardening tasks. Good job on resuming your twin passions, and realizing that although slow your trajectory on the recovery path is steady. And I'm sure Victoria's Secret won't mind your scar should you decide that modeling with add to your life, a trifecta of hobbies with that addition!

Definitely always a mistake to compare- but I thought it might be useful for others for a tiny little example of how different even little things can be @Klassy - hope that's ok? I still can't regularly manage 30 seconds standing on either of my legs- nearly on my newest replaced hip leg- but I can step up and lead with either leg most of the time- unless I'm carrying a lot or I'm tired! Perhaps your ringing history has given you a good core demonstrated in excellent single leg standing?

@HertsHippy isn't Eltham Palace- and particularly the gardens- lovely.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JennyG42
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom