I wrote to the NHS website to ask them about their rather upbeat view of recovery- see end of post for my query. I’ve just received the response below. I’m interested in your thoughts.
I’ve looked at the link to the site they used as one of their sources, I may contact them too and ask for the evidence. I didn’t see anything in that site about being back to normal in 3 months, so presumably that was the expert opinion of one clinician. I bet he/she never had a hip replacement!
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 15:28, <nhswebsite.servicedesk@nhs.net> wrote:
We have reviewed the sources used during the 2016 review of our hip replacement content in response to this query.
It seems the figure of 4 to 6 weeks was written based on:
- the expert clinician’s feedback at the time of writing – a consultant orthopaedic surgeon
- the Royal College of Surgeons advice on recovering from a total hip replacement:
https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/patient-ca...gery/total-hip-replacement/returning-to-work/
The next full review of this content is not due until October 2019. However we have looked at the most recent version of the sources used and I feel some changes could be made to our content to better reflect the advice. Mainly that recovery times can vary depending on several factors and it could be misleading to give recovery times on our pages (even a modest estimate).
We are going to look into making some changes and publishing these to our site over the next week.
Best regards,
Editorial team, NHS Choices
If this resolution doesn't answer your query or provide you with guidance
please click here to inform the service desk . If we receive no correspondence within 5 working days your ticket will be automatically closed.
Message:
I am interested in your Hip Replacement Recovery web page. Please provide the reference for the studies from which you drew the conclusion “Generally, you should be able to stop using your crutches within four to six weeks and feel more or less normal after three months, by which time you should be able to perform all your normal activities.”