Swiftly changing the subject....
Day 58 had three firsts: I put my left sock on without the sock aid! I walked outside with only one crutch. And I pushed a supermarket trolley. I’m filled with admiration for my fellow Bonesmarties who do that at an early stage, I found it was very hard work! I had to pass the steering back to H as it got full of groceries.
The main event of the day was my physio appointment. I approached this with one crutch (to demonstrate progress) and some trepidation. Number of sets of exercises expected in 3 weeks since last appointment: 63. Number done: zero. I adopted the
@Bone-obo tactic: distract ‘em with questions. As below:
Q. Please look at the lumpiness around the incision area and tell me it’s ok.
A. All normal. Can expect swelling to come and go around the area for up to a year. It’s haematoma, basically bruising. I am very grateful for this reassurance! Continue with ice. She suggested gentle massage with E45. She admired the scar, which is indeed beautiful craftsmanship.
Q. Orthotics, yes or no?
A. Both, as mentioned above.
Q. I can tie shoelaces by leaning forward. Is this ok, or am I going to strain something, eg back or hamstrings?
A. Perfectly fine. Keep doing, it’s a good stretch.
Q. I’d rather tie shoelaces by putting foot on opposite knee, also I need that position for cutting toenails. I am nowhere near doing this, how to get there?
A. Work towards it gradually, both the stretch and the muscles. Start by lifting leg with bent knee while seated, hold, repeat. Add a small amount of rotation. Same technique for any movement- practice a small part of the desired movement and gradually build up to the full movement. I think I read a post from
@Bone-obo on another thread saying exactly this! You aren’t a physiotherapist in disguise are you?
She watched me walking, with crutch. She said gait is fine. Asked if I could walk without crutch. I said yes but after a very short distance my hip would start hurting. She said, that’s ok, you’re just not ready yet, keep using the crutch until you are ready and don’t worry about it. That was very nice to hear, because I thought I might get a lecture that by not doing the exercises I was holding myself back.
She checked ROM in the directions I had supposedly been exercising. All good, in fact I surprised myself. She was impressed with how long I could stand on operated leg (that one I have been practising). In fact the operated leg was better than the right leg, I guess I had better practise with that leg too.
She finally asked how I was finding the exercises. I didn’t confess I hadn’t done them. I said I found the one of stepping up with my operated leg impossible. She suggested starting small with very shallow squat with more than half weight on that leg. That sounds good to me. Then she produced the next grade of resistance band! I’d quite forgotten I even had the easy level. I was relieved to find I could do side and back straight leg raises with the band without trouble. No repetitions were required though, an advantage of having used up the time with questions.
Overall I was very encouraged. I feel the Bonesmart approach of just walking and activities of daily life has delivered. But I will perform the exercises to train towards the activities I can’t do yet. But slowly and cautiously!
I have another appointment in 3 weeks. I’m glad to have at least one more session, I was a bit frightened by being discharged by the surgeon and feeling I was on my own.