BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Diary of my journey to happy times

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Klassy, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Of course! As I said, that is what I love about the forum and you certainly whine less than I did.
    We love to have you chronicle your recovery. You can check out my ungraceful recovery thread. It was certainly an up and down journey.
    I'm very happy for your truth.
    I did the same.
    I do hope you have a good week @Klassy !

• Like Like x 3
  2. Klassy

Klassy senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please retract that gulp @Bone-obo . First, because I appreciate your advice, I hope I didn’t come across as negative or like I knew any better, I was just advancing a different, and at least equally uninformed, opinion.

Second, my physio thought the same as you! She actually suggested half a day on, half a day off. And more of the foot exercises that my previous physio had recommended, ie:

Heel raises (ie stand on tiptoes, hold, lower)
    Toe raise and spread: while seated, raise toes and keep heels on floor, spread toes, hold, lower to floor maintaining spread.
    Scrunch toes while seated, eg like picking up a piece of cloth. Actually I think my right foot has been getting a bit of this work out already, because I currently have to use my right toes to pull off my left sock.

I think the truth on orthotics, like much of our treatment, is that no one really knows. Maybe my orthotics helped my toe but hurt my hip, or maybe the hip would have needed replacement sooner without them, or there was no connection at all, I’ll never know.

Anyway I can’t see any harm in doing these exercises, not to excess. I’m already doing a lot of barefoot walking indoors, which of course means without orthotics. So I could try using the orthotics every second outdoor walking session. See how that goes, if ok start phasing out orthotics altogether, then if toe pain recurs, get an updated set of orthotics.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hmmm, @Klassy, I hope the orthotics help as well as moderate exercises. I totally agree with you that, bottom line, nobody knows exactly what will work for patients. I think people need to keep assessing their own situations and keep trying various things to see if they work, and help relieve whatever painful symptoms they are having. Initially, I think we all want to be very virtuous and do what we've been told, but it doesn't always work out that way. I remember my first instance of rebellion was with elevating my leg right after surgery. I was told to do that, and several folks on the forum affirmed that it worked for them, but it never seemed to help me and it was uncomfortable. I stopped trying to do it and, no surprise, I still continued to heal regardless! So, give orthotics and exercise a try but don't be afraid to stop if it doesn't help or makes things worse. You know your body best, remember that!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Gotta love Bone-obo.
    Kind heart, wise advice and funnier than funny :heehee:

Yep, we all need to figure out what works best for us.
    Trial and error. It can be a big ol messshoot, this recovery biz.
    Hope you're having a good day, Klassy
    @Klassy

• Like Like x 2
  5. Layla

I didn't say "messshoot" but, oh well. I know better than to bypass the profanity filter
    even though I didn't deem what I typed a naughty word, lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Klassy

Klassy senior

Here were my x-rays! Blushes

• Funny Funny x 3
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  7. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

I think these should be x-rated...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Klassy

Klassy senior

Ooh @HertsHippy , is that a pun or have I posted something naughty by mistake?! I know Andy Murray was supposed to have revealed too much in his xrays...

I have just posted my scar photos in the scar thread. Now they do deserve a censorship warning, not for the fainthearted!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

@Klassy - yes you have done an Andy Murray!?!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Klassy

Klassy senior

Oh dear. Hmmm. Have deleted. Will put my glasses on and study carefully....

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Klassy

Klassy senior

ummm, dare I risk a more cropped version? Is this one decent?

upload_2019-2-6_22-25-18.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

That’s better

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Klassy

Klassy senior

Swiftly changing the subject....

Day 58 had three firsts: I put my left sock on without the sock aid! I walked outside with only one crutch. And I pushed a supermarket trolley. I’m filled with admiration for my fellow Bonesmarties who do that at an early stage, I found it was very hard work! I had to pass the steering back to H as it got full of groceries.

The main event of the day was my physio appointment. I approached this with one crutch (to demonstrate progress) and some trepidation. Number of sets of exercises expected in 3 weeks since last appointment: 63. Number done: zero. I adopted the @Bone-obo tactic: distract ‘em with questions. As below:

Q. Please look at the lumpiness around the incision area and tell me it’s ok.
    A. All normal. Can expect swelling to come and go around the area for up to a year. It’s haematoma, basically bruising. I am very grateful for this reassurance! Continue with ice. She suggested gentle massage with E45. She admired the scar, which is indeed beautiful craftsmanship.

Q. Orthotics, yes or no?
    A. Both, as mentioned above.

Q. I can tie shoelaces by leaning forward. Is this ok, or am I going to strain something, eg back or hamstrings?
    A. Perfectly fine. Keep doing, it’s a good stretch.

Q. I’d rather tie shoelaces by putting foot on opposite knee, also I need that position for cutting toenails. I am nowhere near doing this, how to get there?
    A. Work towards it gradually, both the stretch and the muscles. Start by lifting leg with bent knee while seated, hold, repeat. Add a small amount of rotation. Same technique for any movement- practice a small part of the desired movement and gradually build up to the full movement. I think I read a post from @Bone-obo on another thread saying exactly this! You aren’t a physiotherapist in disguise are you?

She watched me walking, with crutch. She said gait is fine. Asked if I could walk without crutch. I said yes but after a very short distance my hip would start hurting. She said, that’s ok, you’re just not ready yet, keep using the crutch until you are ready and don’t worry about it. That was very nice to hear, because I thought I might get a lecture that by not doing the exercises I was holding myself back.

She checked ROM in the directions I had supposedly been exercising. All good, in fact I surprised myself. She was impressed with how long I could stand on operated leg (that one I have been practising). In fact the operated leg was better than the right leg, I guess I had better practise with that leg too.

She finally asked how I was finding the exercises. I didn’t confess I hadn’t done them. I said I found the one of stepping up with my operated leg impossible. She suggested starting small with very shallow squat with more than half weight on that leg. That sounds good to me. Then she produced the next grade of resistance band! I’d quite forgotten I even had the easy level. I was relieved to find I could do side and back straight leg raises with the band without trouble. No repetitions were required though, an advantage of having used up the time with questions.

Overall I was very encouraged. I feel the Bonesmart approach of just walking and activities of daily life has delivered. But I will perform the exercises to train towards the activities I can’t do yet. But slowly and cautiously!

I have another appointment in 3 weeks. I’m glad to have at least one more session, I was a bit frightened by being discharged by the surgeon and feeling I was on my own.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Great report! The orthotics are certainly a dilemma. If it were me, I suspect my thinking might be 'one thing at a time'.
    I love the account how you fooled PT - that approach is my plan. They seem to want you to go 2-3 times a week here though! I might just have to get busy with other things! :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Layla

Nice update, Klassy. You're doing well.
    I'm happy your questions were answered and you were comforted by the reassurance that all is normal.
    Just keep doing what you're doing, it's all good.
    I hope you have a lovely Thursday.
    @Klassy

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Bone-obo

Bone-obo graduate

What a wonderful update - great news all around! You go, K-girl! (Sorry for the nickname - I've been watching too many 80's movies lately.)

AKA the Halley's Comet Stratagem, as in "look! it's Halley's comet!"

I'm no kind of therapist - just a concerned citizen. And while I don't remember saying this, I sure as heck wish I had, cuz it's great advice! Keep us posted on improvements to your ROM!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Klassy

Klassy senior

Hi @Bone-obo . Re range of motion, latest news is that I can now put left shoe on by putting left foot on right knee. Only because I forgot I couldn’t! Lavender gave a little ouch to remind me that this was new territory, but she settled down ok.

I think you were the one who said recovery is a series of forgetting, until eventually we forget we have new hips? Or is it that you are my Einstein/Winston Churchill/ Dorothy Parker figure to whom all wise sayings are attributed?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Bone-obo

Bone-obo graduate

This one I'l cop to. And I'd be honored to be anybody's Dorothy Parker!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Klassy

Klassy senior

Day 60. H was out all day. I went out for a brief neighbourhood walk between spells of rain. Yesterday I walked round the block with only one crutch, a pleasing first. Today it was so blustery I needed 2 crutches just to stay on my feet. Indoors however it was a different story. I realised as I made my breakfast that I was moving round the kitchen very easily. So I set myself the challenge to go the whole day without using aids.

And..........success! By the end of the day I was tired and tottering more than walking, but the crutches stayed in the umbrella stand. I am very satisfied with this achievement.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Yay!!! Fabulous news! Sounds you are gaining strength and confidence rapidly now! Be proud Klassy ~ you deserve to be! :loveshwr:

Curiosity question: do you think you push yourself more when hubby is not around? I think I do a bit instead of taking the easy route and asking for help. I think you're at the stage now where you can push yourself just a little bit but don't push yourself too hard!
    :bignono:

Congratulations on your great day!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1