TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOG is ok, kinda stalled. Still think about it with every step. Using the cane less, but still limp when I dont have it.
It's only just over two months since your TKR, Diane. Your knee is doing fine.
When my knees took a little break from forward progress, I told myself that they were consolidating progress, not stalled.
 
So just a bit of update from me and LOG at just 2 days shy of 10 weeks. More or less its ok. Still tight, still aches at times around the muscles. The joint itself feels fine but walking is still "tender" and I still tire easily when walking. I started using my cane more even around the house as its seems to let me walk more normally, so know knows. The actual scar looks ok, seen below, but does feel tight and the skin still feels sore, for lack of a better word. But, on I go...
Here is my frankenstein scar that had 39 staples and 19 stitches that were the most painful thing I have ever endured having them removed. The little dots along both sides are from the stitches.

[Bonesmart.org] Diane's KneeQuest,  NewKnee Inn Recovery
 
Diane, my 10-week knee is similar, still sore on walking, still stiff, especially at the back of my knee, so I'm guessing this is pretty normal. In fact, it is my 10-week old knee that is giving me trouble sleeping at night and not so much my 4-week old knee. It wakes me up with pain on the inside of the knee that goes away when I get up and/or move it around a bit. Probably a cramp from being in one position too long. My OS says 3 months before full activity on a new knee. I think we are doing fine with our 10-week knees.
 
It looks good Diane, it is going to be a while until we are 100%, my knee is kind of tight today, I didn't get much rest all weekend and I guess I over worked it...Icing at work today which is fine, tomorrow will be better!!
 
That knee looks GREAT! Look how smooth. Have you got it propped on a desk? You got your foot up on the desk!??! Wow.

I think you're doing excellent - goodness, you're already working. My PT said using the cane longer is much better on creating a long term stable gait without a limp. Personally, I find it handy as a multipurpose tool, in addition to walking aid. I think if we invented a cane with a retractable "grabber" on the bottom we could get rich and retire :).


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
hehe yes that was my LOG up in my desk in my office. I was getting some work done(my office is in my house & my total work week is less than 10 hours, so no real hero awards for me), and procrastinating reading BS and decided to take that pic. I really have never had a problem raising LOG. I guess it's the "we are all different" deal huh?

Nice to know we are all mostly in the normal range. I have to keep beating into my head, its a marathon, not a sprint
 
Hmmph. I just tried to get my log up on the desk (Nope, not a competitive bone in my body). No way. (I'm talking August log). I couldn't even get it up there with the log lifter (scarf). I did manage to get out of the darn rolling chair without breaking my neck. I guess that's something.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
We all have different super powers...Mine today is staying awake at work...not an easy one, I am super tired, LOL
 
just 2 days shy of 10 weeks. More or less its ok. Still tight, still aches at times around the muscles. The joint itself feels fine but walking is still "tender" and I still tire easily when walking. I started using my cane more even around the house as its seems to let me walk more normally, so know knows. The actual scar looks ok, seen below, but does feel tight and the skin still feels sore, for lack of a better word.
All normal for 10 weeks. :yes!::yay:
When you think about it, since complete recovery takes a full year, you are still early in this recovery - just 10/52 of the way.
 
When you think about it, since complete recovery takes a full year, you are still early in this recovery - just 10/52 of the way.
At ten weeks, you are doing fine. As others have stated, recovery from this can take much longer than we would like it to, and much longer than we are prepared for, so you are moving forward, albeit slowly.

After my BTKR, it took me six months to approach 80%-85%, and eight months to get around 90%-95%---ever-so-close to 100%----and gained ROM in tiny increments well after a a year post-op.
 
The joint itself feels fine but walking is still "tender" and I still tire easily when walking
Many of us will tell you that stamina is one of the last aspects to return after a TKR.

I went back to the classroom at eight weeks, which was much, much too early---and I felt pretty much the same as you. By 11:00 AM, my legs had stiffened up, and I was sore and tired (more like exhausted) at the end of the school day.

Don't be afraid to use ice to help with the aches and pains---never think that you need to stop icing---at ten weeks, ice is still a very, very good friend of your knee.
 
Show off [emoji1]. And your toenails look fantastic.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@dianehelen your scar looks good. I am a week ahead of you and my scar is still not flatten out like yours. Still not able to shave close to it but can not wait till I can. The therapists at PT keep hounding me about bending my knee when walking which I feel I would be able to do if the tightness was not there. Today the therapist realized my surgical leg is slightly longer than the other leg ( I knew this already) and she said it could be effecting my walk. I too have been able to lift up my leg like you basically since leaving the hospital. You could just be stalled as you have done way more than I have at this stage. Hang in there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom