TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all are in the dark days of TKR recovery. Progress through the 2nd month of recovery seems very slow and not as noticeable as month 1. After seeing the progress made in the first few weeks you feel stalled and possibly even sliding backward. Get through month 2 and you'll begin to see a bit more progress. Continue to take things slow, get out, but you'll still need to prop that leg up, ride motorized carts for longer shopping trips and I found visiting friends to get out of the house helpful at this point. Remember, this is a long and winding road. Just as a reminder, here's the activity progression chart, I felt it was right on target. Check out weeks 4-6.


https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 
Diane, shortly before my RTKR I developed aching pain in my left groin. I had an X-ray to make sure I didn't need a hip replacement as well as knee. A friend recommended her PT, and the pt did some hands on stretches and manual traction that felt sooo good and helped a lot. She thought it was from overcompensating on left side to accommodate to pain on the right side.

Fast forward to 4 months after surgery and same aching groin pain returned. New PT also did manual manipulations and stretching which, again, felt great, and that pain is gone. He, too, felt it was related to adjusting to my new gait.

Now I get a twisting pain in my back feeling when walking, trying to learn to walk with a straightened knee, from valgus knee. But no pain in the hip.

This is quite the all body journey. No OS ever mentioned this aspect.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
ya amazing what they do NOT mention...

My original groin pain, was a crippling pain, than on seeing an xray it was clear that I needed the hip replacement
 
You asked if I have hip pain after TKR. The answer is yes but it was not terrible. It seemed more at night and I had to stay off that side when sleeping. It didn't bother me much during the day. I, too, was knock-kneed before surgery. My bigger problem is my back but now I can do stretches on the floor and I am hoping that that will help straighten things out.
 
Karri is right, I remember at weeks 5 and 6 wondering how I was going to be able to go back to work at 7 weeks, and the first week was rough, but things got much better after week 8. I still have my moments of discomfort and my energy level in not there all the time, but I really don't think much about my knee during the day, by the evening is when it feels tired, not really painful anymore but uncomfortable, I still ice at times.

Hang in there guys, it will start to get better soon!!!
 
@mamazipp I know it's frustrating, but we can't give up, I know that it's not easy and some take a little longer than others, but maybe some had more damage to the knee and the surgery was a little more intensive, I don't know why some heal faster than others, all I know is that we can't throw in the towel. We will all reach the finish line, maybe not at the same time but at the right time each one of us.

My knee is not really bothering me much anymore, but I struggle with my back pain on a daily basis, we all have our personal challenges:flwrysmile:
 
Hey. I am so glad to know its "normal" to have a big zag right now. I read someplace here (can't find it, could have imagined it) that week 5 -6 are ones of the hardest. Glad Clara and Karri, et al are validating our experiences. I wish we had a mood progression chart like the activity progression one!

OK. Don't roll your eyes but try this for the hip/groin pain. I was in bedroom and could feel the pain getting like it was yesterday. I just flopped (as well as I can flop) on the bed, put a pillow over my head and cried. After a good cry, I realized I was ON MY STOMACH (I can't even lie on my side yet). I had my sneakers on so my feet were kind of off the bed. It had stopped hurting! I was afraid to move so I lay there (and fell asleep). I woke up two hours later, still on my stomach and still hip/groin pain free. Shoes were still on (husband is now afraid to touch me due to loud chewing incident). Anyway --- it hurt a bit to get up, but the hip/groin pain is much better . I don't know if it was sleeping on stomach or with the shoes or what -- but give the tummy lying a try if you haven't already. Something helped and that's all I've done differently.

We WILL come out on the other side of this and be happy women for it. Until then, lie on your stomach, cover your head with a pillow and have your husband chew quietly . [emoji51]


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Jeez @sheliac what a story. I can't lay on my stomach unless submerged in water. But my groin/whatever pain is only when walking. Sitting upright is my rear thigh pain. But laying down I'm pain free.

I wake up waiting for it to be bedtime how pitiful is that
 
@uva55 You are right. We're all different in our healing journey. We will get to a pain free place eventually.

These pains we have are just such a surprising part of our journeys!

What did our parents' generations do, before joint replacement?
 
I'll be honest, I had all kinds of pain in my hip, butt, thigh, back, heel. But not all at the same time. I wasn't on BoneSmart so no one to ask, I figured it was from sitting so much in the same position, new walking patterns, sleeping on my back etc. All the pain, except the back pain (@uva55 ) and heel went away as I became more mobile and spent less time sitting, elevating in the same position.
 
I also have degenerative disc disease and it really began causing problems when I went back to work at the three month mark. A chiropractor has helped me feel much better.
 
Mine is due to arthritis in my back. There's so much one anesthesiologist couldn't do a spinal because he couldn't get the needle through.
 
So here's my crazy hip story: my left hip has been sore and making popping sounds for years. Since LTKR, it's stopped. Also, since my right knee's become unbearable, my right hip's sore and making popping sounds. I'm hopeful RTKR will help right hip; if not, maybe I should hope for early deafness? :snork:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom