Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen! I don't know what I'd do without BS. Wait --- I can guess I'd be pulling on my knee with a strap, letting a PT push on my knee, lifting weights with my ankle, and crying every day from a swollen and painful knee; and cancelling the upcoming surgery due to agony.

Hope today is a zig day!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
So today the pain has sorta moved but still painful & annoying. It's more really on the side of my thigh and can run down to my shin.
@Josephine does this maybe sound like IT Band issues. Does this eventually go away or do I have a new chronic pain to deal with?
 
@birdwatchr and @sheliac, I learned after my first knee surgery in the early 1980s that I didn't need PT, so even if I hadn't found BS, I wouldn't be doing PT. But, without BS, I wouldn't have known what to expect with this tkr. I had no idea of the activity progression level I should be doing or how long the pain was expected to last. The kneecap removals were rough, but I don't remember them taking this long to recover from. And most of all, I wouldn't have had anyone who understood or cared what I'm going through. The emotional support is tremendous! And I know I need that really bad.
 
Diane, I can relate to that shin pain. I've had it all along and some days it's worse than others. I don't remember having the outside thigh hurt, just the inside thigh going all the way past my knee. That knee area still hurts as does the back of the knee. It seems we all have our own unique places of pain, and if I didn't know it's normal, I'd really be worried. It sounds like you're feeling better today. I'm so glad to hear that. It hurt to know you were hurting so badly after something that wasn't your fault caused it.
 
Eh not really feeling better. Just pain in different places. Maybe the extreme pt massage induced swelling/pain eased some, but not totally. Just seems I've exchanged one pain for another *big sigh*
 
I'm sure it's just temporary. Your body is adjusting to your new knee.
 
I'm sorry annoying pain won't go away, I hope that gets better soon :flwrysmile:
 
So today the pain has sorta moved but still painful & annoying. It's more really on the side of my thigh and can run down to my shin.
Sounds to me like it's progressed into Shin splints issues. I had this once but I have a very good, hands on chiropractor and he sorted it out for me over a few sessions.
 
I had a similar pain that my PT said was the IT band. He said everything feeds into it and encouraged me to do my hamstring and glute stretches more frequently and my glute strengthening. The pain did subside in time.

This surgery seems to impact every little thing and turn it into a big pain in the (you know what)! I hope you feel better soon.
:flwrysmile:
 
Might be IT band. There is an article here in the library with a good visual about doing a massage. I tried it and it helped.
But it might be just another of these miserable pains that show up to torture us.
 
*sigh* yeah. That's probably what it is. It kinda comes & goes with no real pattern to it. Bothers me more in the earlier part of the day. Ibu + tramadol seems to maybe ease it. Who really knows, just giving it time and hope it goes away.

@TML how long would you say it was until it was gone or lessened
 
Several weeks. PT also did massages on the lateral side of my knee up through my thigh. I googled images of IT band - impressive how connected our tissues are. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the library article that @mamazipp suggests.
 
I find it weird that suddenly a pain will pop up where there was none before. I remember that at the third week I felt pretty good and was sure I was going to be feeling better and better. Then a pain would pop up here and there and then that back of the thigh thing reared it's ugly head and a new pain on top of my knee and they are preventing me from improving my ROM now for 2-3 weeks. Swelling on the outside is mild, but knee still feels tight. Time will take care of things.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
boy I can relate to that new pain popping up. Today, as Im starting to walk more around the house without the cane, Im noticing, or sensing a pain or weakness , or whatever almost in my groin which really concerns me that it is some malfunctioning or issue with my hip, ya my left hip that was my nightmare 2 years ago. Its always on my mind and with a pain in that area it really concerns me. I am going to call my OS next week, and see if they can add an xray of my hip when I see him on Oct 3. He was not the OS who did the hip but I wont go back to him at this point. Its always something huh?

@FlaGranny do you feel you are ready for your second knee coming up already Monday, with the amount of progress you have made on knee 1?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom