Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My zingers came later, I was already back to work and I'd get them while teaching. I didn't think they hurt, just a bit of a shock because mine caused my knee to actually move all on its own.
 
It looked like a dr thumped my knee with a hammer. I'd be sitting in my chair teaching reading and pop! Up my leg would go! It was so weird I'd gasp!
 
Yup, @newlybionic mine would elicit a loud ow too. They didn't start in the beginning Diane, I think it was weeks later, and a few weeks ago I got a run of sensations like a hammer pounding me on the kneecap really quickly and hard. I'd yell ow, and my leg would raise up, too. Then they disappeared.

It's an adventure for sure!
 
(I would just let out 'OW' at all times of the day or night at random.)
Yep - that's me! Thankfully they don't last long.
 
I had my first zinger last night. If I hadn't read about them in here, I would have sworn my pillow shocked me! It only lasted a split second, but ouch and weird!

I hope your day is good. I think about you as I head for bed every night -- it's my own little version of heaven at the end of the day. Love my bed. :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
I have felt those zingers that feels like a tens unit with a quick zap then goes away. Also about 4 times now my entire leg will just jerk and move on it's own. It did not hurt but was crazy. Everyday we seem to experience something new. Such a great adventure we are on. Now I off to my 3rd outpt PT appt to what I am sure I will experience something new. So glad we are all in this together!
 
I had some "zingers" in the first week or so, and some weird leg jerking, but nothing since. Wonder if they'll come back?
 
You are not a 'wierdo' at all. Just because you haven't felt those electric 'zaps' yet. I'm still getting them now and again, and they are not bad at all, you know the healing is happening, don't worry about them.
 
I haven't heard of these either...lol I have muscle spasms or jerks but not with pain or an electric zap type of thing. I thought it may be from the pain meds. I sometimes get them in my whole body, like a quick jerk. Weird, mostly only in first few weeks.
 
Reading all these descriptions of zingers makes me feel like we're on an episode of car talk. Now describe the sound....
I doubt reading the fine print would've changed anything for any of us. For one thing, we're all in this for the end result. But the other thing is, the word "pain" doesn't really mean much; the experience of pain is where the meaning clobbers you over the head. To read about what we're going to experience it's nothing like going through it. I don't think it would've helped. I read threads talking about constipation, but that didn't mean much until I went through it myself. I am now a kinder, more sympathetic ear.
 
So today is a bit better than yesterday in this zigzag healing pattern, thats a good thing. But something really irritating the crud outta me today..

4 count em FOUR well meaning friends called to check on me today, which is nice and I appreciate it. But every single one, had the broken record discussion with me, starting with the "Are you making sure to do all your PT exercises? You KNOW you wont have a good outcome unless you do" Makes me wanna scream, but I dont, I just try to tell them, with as little detail or consternation as possible, that Im doing what works for me. Its just such a broken record already. Of the 4, two of them have had 1 or 2 knees replaced, and told me even tho PT was terribly painful especially when the pt person bent their knee back to a painful position, but they swear its what made their outcome so good and I just have to tough it out or I will get adhesions and have to have a MUA. The other 2 have not, but just buy into that way of thinking. I know , just ignore them, but its hard,

ok rant over for today. Im just glad Im feeling a bit better today.. If people would just mind their own beeswax, yanno?
 
Those friends can be such a bother! I'm being polite! First it was the other surgeon, (the one who charged for the consult) and the wonderful results he got.....now the friends. Just have to stand your ground, tell them you're going a different route recommended by your very progressive and excellent surgeon! Or, lie! Tell them how hard you're working in PT and what excellent progress you're making because of that.
People just seem to love to give out advice to others. Now I'm glad I didn't know anyone who had a TKR. Except for my ex, who was off pain meds and just taking Tylenol after two weeks...but then, men like to be stoic. He kept telling me about the need for pushing thru the pain in PT, but now, lately, it's more that he is still in pain after a year because he has spinal stenosis and can't tell if it's spine or knee but he is stiff and walks bizarrely. But, hey, I got to borrow his ice machine, so whatever.

@greatlakes I agree about the word "pain" and the concept "major surgery". If you haven't experienced it before, it has no real, experiential meaning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom