TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, sorta normal! It appears that most of the bonesmarties have mentioned them. Little nerves finding their counterparts to reconnect with. You know, I actually miss them! They were interesting...just as Paula described. Lightning bolts.
 
Keeping my leg down for extended periods was an issue for me even at 2 months. Anytime I sat my knee was up. When I went back to teaching part time I spent many (not all) afternoons with my leg up and elevated. I think it's different for everyone, but certainly typical this early in TKR recovery.
 
Your description of where you are is quite normal for three weeks post op. The sounds are normal as the pains that seem to be in different places day to day. The swelling can last up to 12 months to some degree or another, Don't worry the OS won't have any problem taking the staples out. They've done it before. I had mine out between 2 and 3 weeks with my second surgery and other than some quick stings I survived it OK without having taken any pain meds, (I did let out an occasional OW though). If I got through my first surgery staple removal (where the OS also guess OVER the staples you will do fine).

I went to outpatient PT to just go somewhere and be around other people since I live alone. You have to make sure that you are able to let them know your limits. No one touches your leg ever, don't do squats or steps or weights for the first 3 months.
 
So now that I gave a sorta ok progress report, today flippin' LOG is bothering me. Just more pain today, darn staples pulling, pain like around the back of my thigh. Some pain on certain steps, pain bending. Ughh , ok reminding myself of the zigzag vs linear, etc etc. I just took an oxy, see it that helps. Im up & iced. Gonna just stay put till I have to pee. Holding mini pity party for the next hour.

@thecoll , how are you doing today. Hope your P/P from the other day has improved. We can take turns huh?
 
Think of it more as a roller coaster ride where there are sudden ups and downs and quick turns in all directions. Sometimes you're slowly climbing to the top and then there is the quick downs to the bottom of the ride and then you start going up the next hill. O and then you have the loop in the coaster where you don't know if you are going up or down and everything is upside down. Eventually we will all get back to the station and get off but right now we are stuck going round and round.
 
Yes, I got the zingers too. The zing pain was definitely different than the other pains. Quick and electric feeling. They seem to have gone away now but it wouldn't surprise me to still get a zing once in awhile. I'm also thinking that my lower leg isn't feeling so numb. Maybe the zingers are responsible for some feeling returning. Let's hope.
 
@dianehelen great idea to give an up to date of your journey. I should do the same so when my right knee is replaced I can reflect back on my left knee progress. Yes my pity party cleared up. It will come back as I have outpatient PT the next two days. Today I did some exercises and then iced and elevated for 2 hours. The knee was so tight even after icing. Just throwing my hands up. But my husband cheered me up by being silly and he is making pulled pork nachos for dinner. @uva55 i missed the fine print before surgery as well, lol
 
Hi Diane! First off, Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

Also in this same area, feels almost like the arthritis pain I used to feel? Also I feel like a pulling pain on the inside, just to the right of like where my kneecap is?

I had that, too, and at times thought to myself, "I thought I wasn't supposed to feel this now?!?!?!"

Good news is that pain/feeling went away. I can walk without any pain. Some stiffness, yes, but not pain.
 
Ughh @thecoll im right with you on that annoying tightness. Yum pulled pork nachos sound delicious. My husband went thru taco bell drive thru last night and got me tacos, that for some reason I was craving. I cancelled home pt guy yesterday, but will see him tomorrow for the last time. Then OS Thursday, staples out, then deal with out patient pt. Quite the journey this is huh *sigh*.
 
I had the stiffness then all of a sudden it was gone! Of course, if I have overdone, then I get stiff, but I just have to ice and elevate and it's gone! You have that to look forward to.
 
@dianehelen just wanted to chime in on "the zingers." I have them too...probably a few times every day. Always very brief but they do surprise me. I just picture those little nerves in my leg wandering aimlessly around looking for their connection....and then they suddenly find their home...and the zinger is just their excitement about reconnecting. Silly, yes, but I try to put a positive spin on this.
 
Huh guess im missing something. So if I'm not getting these would it indicate something is wrong, or not healing right?
 
Diane, are you going to start that again??? My friend, if you don't get zingers then hug and kiss your new knee every day and thank your lucky stars, we are all different...look you were able to sleep in your bed all night from day one, and most of were not able, my recliner have a very close relationship :loll: I had nausea for almost 5 weeks off and on!!!

Relax don't look for trouble, trust me it find us on its oown :shocked:you are healing just fine!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom