TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another small milestone today. I took down the high rise commode. I was getting tired of sitting on what seemed like a potty high chair. It was not comfortable, and sorry if tmi, it was at a high angle, interfering with my natural body needs to sit to properly eliminate, if that makes sense. Our toilets are all "right height" toilets anyway, so they are not the really low ones. I tried it, and between the tub wall and the other wall, I am able to sit and get up reasonably well. Felt good to sit on a real toilet seat. Ahhh the silly things we find normalcy in. Also now my poor husband can use the toilet in our bedroom without having to lift off the commode, or running to the other side of the house to use the guest bathroom.

Then I did a bit of work type things , actually sitting in my office at the computer. I was able to get thru about 25 minutes, but accomplished what I needed. Now I am a bit achey, and back in the chair, up, and iced.

last few nights have been good sleep nights too.. if not for my whiney dog, making sure she wakes me up , I could have slept past 8am, but Noooooo , not gonna happen in her highnesses world.. poor thing is starving and MUST be fed and tended to... or the world will come to and end. ;)
 
This is so awesome, you are doing great, like you said, the little things we take for granted until we are not able to do them!!!
 
Hi Diane,
Glad you have had better nights of sleep, except for the your Highness waking you up :heehee:
I have high rise toilets at home, but I put hand rails on my master bath toilet...it's still there & I'm embarrassed to say I got so use to them , I don't want to give it up:doh:
 
I found my potty high chair to be uncomfortable so I only used it once. I took the potty part out so it is basically a tall seat and put it in my walk in shower in case I need to sit while showering. It does feel good to be able to do things we did prior to surgery. Kind of crazy to think I was thrilled to assist with making dinner tonight. The first thing my husband wanted me to be able to do was have sex again. My corgi is a highness too. She is so bossy at 7am and just does everything she can to get me out of bed. But I would not change her for the world, love my dogs.
 
I'm so glad your surgery is behind you. Now just sleep as much as you can and feel better. Those drugs make us feel so groggy. I felt like my brain was mush!!! Tomorrow is a new day!!!
 
I remember the huge thrill of accomplishment when I took my potty seat down! I'm still using my walker, but only to carry my ice machine :heehee:! And your sitting in your office chair for 25 minutes! Wow! You'd think you were 2 months out!
 
office chair for 25 minutes
ya it was a matter of mind over matter. some things I just have to get done, as much as hubby helps, he cant help with the bit of work stuff I actually do. But I medicated first, then pushed thru, and then it was done
 
@sistersinhim are you still sleeping with the ice machine every night? I was wondering how long that continues. Its not a really big deal, just one more thing to deal with. But for now I think I still need it
 
I still use ice most nights. Since my other knee has been bothering me it's hard for MD to carry my loaded ice machine around so I usually use my gel packs with velcro straps that I got from the two surgeries. Both hospitals gave me the same ones.
 
Diane, I used ice thru the night for around 4 week I think, I stopped when the swelling went down and I was not in much pain.
 
I load it up and use it when I first go to bed. It has a 30 minute timer and I leave it off unless I wake up in pain. The past two nights I haven't had to use it anymore than just at first. I'm tempted to not set it up anymore, but of course, that would be time I'd really need it in the middle of the night. Your knee will let you know when you can stop.
 
Diane I looked back in my thread and it was just short of 4 weeks when I stopped, I iced until bedtime and then started again as soon as I woke up, I was freezing all the time and it did not help with sleep!
 
Thanks. for now I guess I will keep doing it, if for no other reason, the darn staples and stitches pull on anything if I dont have it wrapped in the ice thingy. Speaking of the staples and stitches Im a bit concerned that they are in too long and are starting to embed into my skin making it harder to get them out. My appt is Thursday and I still dont understand why everyone here had them out at 2 weeks and my OS says 3. Trying not to stress too much over it, but yanno, its IS me... and stressing over stuff is what I do ;)

Im tired of sitting in this lift recliner all day, its not as soft and comfy as my regular lazy boy. I think when my son comes by later this week, I will get him and hubby to switch the chairs back and see if I can use my regular recliner. Im not even lifting it all the way up to stand, so Im thinking I should be ready for the switch.
 
You are making wonderful progress! I stopped using the ice machine early because it was too much of hassle for me to handle alone and I hated being so cold. I think I moved to my old bedroom at three weeks and left the handicap equipment behind.
 
being cold has never been a problem for me :) Im naturally hot blooded I guess.
 
I don't have a lift recliner but I do have one that has a motor in it to lift my feet and to put them down. The only thing you might have problems with is putting the foot rest down if you have to use your legs to do it. My 'good' leg wasn't strong enough to close it. Other than that I've lived and slept in this thing for over a year now. I'm hoping some day I'll finally be able to get some restful sleep in my bed.
 
Diane, I'm always hot, my poor husband goes to sleep with sweats on, but the ice really did a number on me, I could not stay warm.
 
@newlybionic , I could never sleep in any recliner, I see here how many do, so I'm pretty thankful that sleeping in my bed has not been a problem for me from day one. In fact, I wake up saying ok only 15 more hours and I can come back to my bed. And my recliner has a handle that raises the foot part. Once that is up, it's just a matter of pushing back with mostly my back, with a small assist from my right foot, I could probably do it with just my back & leverage. To be seen I guess in a few dats.

@uva55 yep, always hot too. There was actually one night, where I did feel cold in bed, had to get up and throw a tshirt over my nightgown. But that never happened again. I keep my house @ 70° , some people who come to my house say they need a sweater hehe :ice:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom