TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet you're glad to get rid of those injections.

My dog is an American Eskimo. It has been an adventure controlling him with home nurses and PT! He's a territorial little devil. I put a gate up that keeps him in one side of the house or the other so that he doesn't have to be locked in a room and no one has to hold him. He scares everyone but he is more bluff than anything. He'll run up to someone barking and growling but if they just stand there he doesn't do anything.

Spent some time this morning cleaning up the yard - which dear hubby did not do while he was taking the dog out. I don't mind picking up the fresh stuff, but ugh! Then on top of that there were about a dozen rotten mangoes to pick up. The smell was terrible between the two. Told dear hubby - take a bag and pick it up!!
 
@FlaGranny oh ya I know that breed well, I'm sure he is a handful. My dogs are 75 pound Golden Retrievers who get so excited when home health people come. Luckily they are both crate trained, and as soon as I say "crate up" they happily trot into their crates, that are right in the family room, so they can see whats going on, and not be able to jump all over visitors


And , whew, I with @uva55 HOW do you have the wherewithal to even think about picking up yard debris.
 
So here is a question for you that have come a longer way in this journey. I know we are all different, but as a general rule of thumb, about how long would you say it was, until you could have your leg NOT elevated and not feel it feel heavy, throbby, pressure like. Hard to express what Im trying to say, but hopefully you will understand. I can sit all day, iced and elevated with tolerable pain, pretty well controlled with tylenol and tramadol, but even on my short walks, or even more so, standing still, it just feels heavy, uncomfortable. Does this make any sense?
 
I was thrilled when I stopped those injections last weekend. The injections actually were not that bad. So glad it was prefilled needles. Now just have to take a baby aspirin everyday for 3 months. @FlaGranny wow we are a few days apart in surgery and I have not even attempted to go in the yard. But you made me think....I always pick up the dogs duties before I push mowed the yard. My husband happen to acquire a free riding lawn mower the day before my surgery and has mowed a couple times now but did not pick up the dogs poop. yuck, especially with all the rain lately. Not going to complain as he has been doing so much. He s actually taking a nap and I am watching football.
 
Mine didn't really bother me much while I was walking, but anytime I Stood for a while or sat down with the leg down, like at the dinner table it would start to really bother me after 15-20 minutes for approximately 4-5 weeks, I remember thinking that I had to go back to work and I was not going to be able to sit all day at my desk.

I feel that I started to see the most noticeable improvement in my recovery at week 5!!
 
That happens to me too. I seem fine when moving but sitting at the table is the worse. I ate breakfast at the table this morning and I could feel my foot start to swell. It does not help that my bend sucks so the leg is awkward under the table. I am looking forward to week 5 & 6 as many people say that is when things started to turn around.
 
ok good to know about a five week mark. Hmmm I was not told to do aspirin after the shots for 3 months.
 
My hubby helped me clean up the poop and mangoes. With the 2 of us it did not take too long. You know what bothered me most? - my back and my old knee - not the new one.

I did find that sitting with my leg down was very uncomfortable, especially at first, but it is getting better day by day. It does depend on the chair. Some of them hit me on the thigh where there are sore muscles from the tourniquet - and that is painful.

As for the blood thinner, I took Eliquis for 2 weeks and then started aspirin 325 mg twice a day for a month. I'm going to have to stop the aspirin a week early so I can have my second knee done on the 26th.
 
I asked upon my discharge for aspirin in lieu of the lovenox, they said, nope, doc prefers it. I will ask thursday when I go, about continuing with aspirin.

@FlaGranny I feel for you picking up dog poop. I gave that up when I had my hip nighmare and hired a service.(poop911, cute name) They come once a week for 10 bucks, and I dont have to mess with it. Of course with all this rain, its been kinda a poop stew out there, blechh.

I just finished dinner, again sitting at the table. I find I have about a 15 minute window where I can sit at a regular table, with my leg down, before it starts getting uncomfortable. Hmm also want to ask doc about tourniquet, as i have no pain in the thigh that others have mentioned, glad about that.

Hubby picked up 5 guys burgers, and I was able to sit and enjoy it at the table.

Now back, up and iced for the night.
 
No more shots! And another step towards normalcy! You are doing so good. I also had the aspirin for 30 days.
 
@dianehelen That kind of service wouldn't work for me. I live in an HOA and the dog has to go out on a leash. A week's worth of poop would most likely result in stepping in it on occasion. I think my hubby did step in some the other day.
 
Congrats on the end of the lovenox injections! As long as you are your and around you really don't need about worrying about taking aspirin at all. Every OS has their own prorocol. With my original surgery I was taking 2 coated aspirin a day and started to get symptoms of an ulcer so I had to stop them altogether. I was supposed to take them for 6 weeks but I don't think I took them much longer than 2 of 3. The second time my new OS put me on warfarin which needed blood testing twice a week. I was on that for 6 weeks after my surgery. According to my new OS my revision was a more involved surgery and I was more throne to blood clots.

As far as to how long you can have swelling it can be up to a year or 18 months to some degree. It's of course everyone is different. Once your incision is healed you can try support hose (not teds) or I have some compression running tights I purchased on amazon to help keep the swelling in check. It's been too hot for me at work so far to wear them bit they do work well.
 
That tight band feeling diminished very gradually over time. One day I just noticed it wasn't there. My knee still swells a little. I can feel it most when I step out of the bathtub. Like others after I sit for awhile walking is very stiff and clumsy until joints get warmed up.
 
Ya Im noticing even now, after sitting for a while, and I get up, those first few steps are very stiff and sore feeing. After I walk a bit it eases some, not alot, but I do notice the difference. This is a looonnnggggg looonnngggg journey, isnt it?
 
It's only been a couple of weeks! Relax you will get there. Remember it can be up to one year or more for full recovery so that's 52+ weeks. So doING the math you are one twenty sixth of the way there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom