Guest viewing is limited

TKR Diane's KneeQuest, NewKnee Inn Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robaxin is over the counter in Canada!
Maybe when you get a bit more regular from poop fairy, you can tolerate the oxy again! I couldn't stand food or coffee for many weeks. In rehab I'd order food and then couldn't eat it. It took weeks. Of course, despite that, I didn't lose any weight.

I didn't have 90 degrees for 5 or 6 weeks. It did come and now I have 130 and 0. Those early weeks in rehab were painful PT trying to increase my flex and I didn't know better. 90 degrees at your next OS appt sounds like an arbitrary goal. Some get it and others don't.
Quad is painful, above the knee. OS said quad gets very upset when disturbed. That has been my ongoing issue.
When you ice, the pad does cover that area so it relieves some.

I'm glad to hear that the tram/Tyl works. Ironic about the oxy!
 
Oh yeah, Diane, and I'm afraid it's just going to get worse. Now, the pharmacist and getting in on the restrictions it sounds like. The 'little, law-abiding people' don't hardly stand a chance. I bet the addicts are having an easier time getting meds than we are. It's a shame.
 
There's that prior authorization thing that sounds ridiculous of course but there is also another problem I found. With my first surgery I was beginning to get a stomach ulcer from the aspirin twice a day. My GI doc ordered some meds take care of the problem but pharmacy said no because it was more than the 'normal' amount given. I found out that I could buy it out of pocket there for $60 but at a different pharmacy it was $12 out of pocket. Everyone's out to make a buck.
 
Diane, I have been taking a muscle relaxer since day one of surgery. It's part of my OS's protocol. That may be why I have experienced very little discomfort in my quad. Hope it helps you.
 
Thats really interesting @Diane LTKR . Lets see if I find some improvement once I start the robaxin. Is that the one you are taking? Wonder why the protocols are so all over the place. Also, did you take gabapentin? I see some do. My OS doesnt.

@mamazipp Robaxin is really OTC in Canada? How wierd.
 
It seems like every OS has their own protocols. My first OS wouldn't even give me Zofran for nausea and then would not prescribe anything different for pain. Therefore I was taking NO pain meds after about the first week or so.

Second OS had me on Robaxin (methocarbamol) right away and sent me home with Zofran, tramadol, and oxycodone. I also started taking another med 3 days before surgery and finished a months worth. I guess those brain cells that knew the name of the med has gone to bed early since I can't recall the name!
 
@Suz I was noticing your rom timeline and wondered how your OS reacted to your 6 week progress/mua refusal.

By 6wks post-op I was without a doubt more educated regarding knee recoveries b/c of the awesome folks here at bonesmart Diane. I wasn't doing PT at the time and I had no idea where my ROM was. I knew my knee was still swollen and tight so I rehearsed in my mind how I would handle the MUA discussion if it came up at my 6wk appt. I was ready for it!

OS came in the room, looked down at my knee and said something like, that lack of bend isn't good, you should have allot more than that by now. Looks like we'll be going back in. I just automatically shook my head 'no' and he seemed surprised by my immediate response. I 'suggested' a couple more weeks to let the swelling subside more and he asked me to at least try a few PT sessions. I agreed to that but knew it would be on my terms. And also, I told him to refer me to a PT group he would refer his mother to. He smiled and said, 'I've got just the place'. LOL! They were wonderful and honored my passive PT protocol.

My plan was that if my swelling & ROM hadn't improved by 8wks I would imagine myself with a good ole case of springtime flu and push it on out a few more weeks with OS! But at 8wks the swelling had decreased quite a bit.

I can't tell you the pride I felt when he walked into the examining room at that appointment and saw my knee bent with my foot underneath and back under the chair! He was so surprised and gave me a hug even! He also told me that once his patients were at 90*s he felt they were on their way in their recovery.

Remember, I was at 50*s at 6wks. If you manage your swelling by behaving yourself, (*wink*), yours will probably be far above 90*s! And don't panic every time you look down and see your swollen tight knee. It took mine 7wks to start going down. Just love it- I lightly rubbed my hands down over mine and gave her loving healing thoughts.

I tell you- your mind will bug the you know what out of you in these early weeks. You'll want to overthink everything from things like, 'you are absolutely certain no one else here in bonesmart has ever felt the pain you're feeling. Your pain is definitely not normal recovery pain'. Then you'll have the fear of what happened during your hip replacement haunting you I'm sure. You must push those negatives out of your head- replace them with thoughts of Jamie- or come here and chat away. Whatever it takes to get your mind off of any anxious thoughts.

For a few weeks I struggled between the two paths. The bonesmart or OS's. I mean.. really struggled. Once I chose bonesmart's path- I relished in my rest & relaxation! Thinking, now THIS is the way to recover! So unlike what several close friends had gone through with assertive PT and didn't mind telling me I would never recover properly without it. Not true!

I can rub my hand across my new knee now and there is absolutely no tightness, no swelling. Just a brand new pain-free knee joint and loose skin. It feels so natural. And definitely different now than when I was a wk out. I honestly thought it would never be normal again. Now it's even better than I ever imagined! And I'm just a few short months ahead of you!

You've GOT this girlfriend!! Just a few short months ahead of you and this is what I've got now! Yours is coming!!
I've actually misplaced my scar and hope to find it soon.. hee-hee!

[Bonesmart.org] Diane's KneeQuest,  NewKnee Inn Recovery
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooo inspiring & comforting, thank you so much @Suz for taking the time to so accurately articulate my very thoughts & feelings. I get the same speech from friends who have had tkr's or know people who had, and that recurring bit about you have to push thru pain just makes me wanna scream. Im gonna have a migraine tomorrow when mr pt calls, and I cancel him.

What I did not anticipate with this ordeal were the stomach issues. I used to have an iron stomach. Guess I dont any more.
 
Who knows what triggered the stomach problems. It could be a number of things- even your nerves! Let's believe the discomfort is on it's way OUT! This is where my knee is tonight! Yours is coming-!!! = )

[Bonesmart.org] Diane's KneeQuest,  NewKnee Inn Recovery
 
Im gonna have a migraine tomorrow when mr pt calls, and I cancel him.

OH.. and you're going to feel SO liberated afterwards!! I remember the very minute I looked at the pt supervisor who came to my home at 2wks to re-acess me for more visits. She went to push on my knee for flexion and I told her 'no'. She did a double-take and said, 'what do you mean no'? I said, you're going to get an accurate flexion number- what I can bend.. NOT what you manipulate. She said, 'well, I'll have to document it' and I never responded. But my expression was I'm sure, 'and your point is'?

I felt like I had graduated BIG time when she called back and said I had not been cleared for future PT visits. To call my OS and see if he could set me up for outpatient PT. I never called and enjoyed the hadees out of skipping PT for the next 4wks, lol!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @uva55, Clara! Same here- my left knee is much bonier now than my new knee! Hopefully we are giving Diane something to look forward to!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I never took gabapentin and my muscle relaxer was methocarbanol ( I think that's the same as the robaxin.) I take 2 per day. I think I will be finishing that up next week. I go in to see my OS for a check up on Monday. I am hoping to be released to go back to work part time. Oh,by the way, my hubby is having both knees replaced in October - one week apart!!! He decided he wanted to get both done and out of the way. Not sure I could have done that but he has a good attitude about it and I think he will do well. Hopefully by Christmas we will both be in good shape. Hope you have a good night and a good day tomorrow.
 
Hopefully you are feeling much better now. It is a slow recovery, though. You don't think you'll get through it at first, but then you realize you just did!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning, another day, another messed up stomach. This is really driving me nuts. So I stopped the oxy thinking that was affecting it. It seemed to help some, or so I thought. So now I'm taking Tylenol/tramadol , as well as now added robaxin as of yesterday, but my darn stomach just always is not right. Im taking two docusate stool softeners twice a day, along with my multi vitamins and vitamin C. I always take meds with a few bites of crackers or something. But my stomach goes from gassy, to constipated, to diarrhea in a 24hour period. I have never had such stomach issues from surgery before. I have always had an iron stomach. These issues are just making this whole recovery more difficult. Anyone else deal with this over a week out from surgery? Any other ideas to ease it? Will it eventually ease?

Not happy tummy :cry:
 
Diane, I didn't have your stomach problems, just constipated and nauseated. I took anti-motion sickness pills, which helped a lot with the nausea. Miralax helped the constipation.
When pt called to set up home pt, I told them the truth, that I was doing it myself. I then added that I needed them, I'd call. I've seen my OS twice and he is perfectly happy with my ROM. And I've had no pt stress and pain, not the mention the expense!
 
So sorry about your stomach problems. Hope you can get it cleared up. My stomach is a little queasy now and then and food doesn't taste right to me. I am on the constipated side from the oxycodone but am managing with Dulcolax ok. I'm not really eating enough to "go" every day.

I've noticed that I am able to get around much better, in and out of bed, or chair. Pain is somewhat better but I can't get comfortable from all my other arthritic joints. I do manage to sleep for 7 or 8 hours at night though, and that's a good thing.
 
My OS prescribed Protonix EX 40 mg once a day for my tummy, I had no issues other than constipation and nausea, call your OS.

I hope you can get a break soon!!! Feel better :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Im feeling whiney today, just feels like I should be doing better than I am. The pain is annoying and my whole leg just feels like its in a vice grip. The stomach issues just exacerbate the whole picture.

I am thankful tho, as you are @FlaGranny that I am able to sleep well in my own bed. My naps and my sleep time is the only time Im not complaining.

PT dude called today, and I cancelled him. Just not in the mood. Nurse coming later, and she annoys me too, I guess I dont like 'extra' perky people. Does that make me a grinch? :)

My husband has been taking the brunt of my misery , poor him, I told him he needs a vacation from me...

ok, thats enough whining for the moment.. Gonna do something fun, like pay some bills woohooo
 
I agree with Clara. Call and get something for that tummy of yours. And Diane, you whine and complain on here as much as you want to. We understand, we've been there! And we care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom