TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning! Hope all are well, and progressing nicely with those new knees! I'm doing ok, but the roller coaster took another "dip" this week! Actually......two new "dips"!!

For some reason, my lower back is really, really bothering me. I'm prone to some sciatica troubles, but it's been at least 3 or 4 years since it's been awful. It's so bad now when I first get up in the morning that I'm not sure I'll be able to walk. I'm so afraid my back will go "out" on me, and then I'll really be in trouble! I don't know if it's my bed, my new gait, or the fact that I am not wearing shoes too often in the house. Will try to put my shoes on more and see if that helps. I will also visit my friendly chiropractor more often now that I can drive. The pain pills for my knee also help my back, so that's good!

And, dip #2.....I have a heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation that rears it's ugly head once in a while. I had thought that it was the stress of my job that has brought it on once or twice a year for the last 3 years. Well, when I returned home from PT on Wednesday, my heart went wacky! Just about pushed me over the edge.....this is so NOT what I need right now! Called the cardiologist, took some extra BP medicine, and thankfully, it regulated on it's own in the night. Now I have something else to worry about!!!

Otherwise, things are ok. Wish I could see some progress once in a while.....I'm sure it's there, just not as noticeable as before. I am hoping my bend will be better at PT this morning, but I'm doubtful. It just gets to a certain place and STOPS! I see the OS a week from today, and I'm worried! Do NOT want a MUA!

I could postpone my next knee, but I have to be really good in order to go back to the classroom in mid-August. I really want to have plenty of time to recover. I teach 4th graders, and my job is really demanding. I also want to fit in a beach vacation at the end of July, and I MUST be able to walk painlessly on the beach with my husband! It's been so long since I've been able to do that! That's what will get me through all of this!

So, wish me luck at PT today, and I'll hope you are all having a great, productive, and painfree Friday!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
Sure wish I had a magic wand to wave away the troubles. You've surely had more than your share for one week. Told a hippie earlier that you'd think after undergoing major surgery and trying to recover that we'd get some breaks---but life just seems to keep right on happening no matter what.

Just try and take it easy---rest and de-stress. You're just 1 month post op which is still very early. Are you following the mantra to the letter? Do you have swelling that is keeping you from flexing? Are you doing more than you should? Gotta' remember that this is a loooooooong recovery---everything about it takes TIME & PATIENCE. You just gotta' take deep breaths, relax and roll with the flow---no stressing allowed!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
 
WARNING........here comes a pity party!! Tomorrow is 5 weeks since my RTKR. I'm already tired of this recovery, and I want it over!

I've really felt down today, my knee has been aching, and I'm just so tired of everything being so hard to do!

I think what's really weighing on me, though, is the fact that this knee just wont bend. I've worked on it all weekend, and it seems to be no better. I know I'm behind in my bend, although it seems to go pretty straight now. I know the OS won't be happy when I see him on Friday. I'm worried. I've really tried to follow the BS mantra the last few weeks, and I've only pushed it to discomfort and not pain. Have I not done enough? Am I a whimp?? Is it my fault?

I could use some encouragement tonight. Thanks to all who read this and offer me their thoughts!
 
Good Morning, all! Where are all my Bonesmartie friends? I am sad to see I have no responses to my plea for encouraging words last night.:sad: I'm heading off to PT now, and so afraid I will get bad news about my lack of improvement. Someone needs to tell me again that........slow and steady is GOOD! Thank you all so much!
 
Goodness! It is only a few weeks since your op. I think it sounds like you're doing fine.
At 5 weeks, I thought I'd never be 'normal' again. Sure, do someexercises but you need to rest and heal as well. Be kind to yourself
 
I do remember saying to my mother, that I just wished I could have a day off from the pain and exercising, just to have a break from it!
It will pass, hope you got on ok at pt
 
Thank you, Nancy. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

Just got home from PT, and of course, they think I'm way behind and should have a much higher ROM by now. I'm not surprised, I knew they'd say that, but I'm sure disappointed. I am really getting the feeling that everyone (including my husband!) thinks I've just not been working hard enough at bending my knee. Is it my fault?
Feeling a bit defeated today.......:cry:
 
It is not your fault! I wish I could give you a hug.
Resting and icing is just as important as exercising .
Here in the UK there is not so much emphasis on pt, just gentle stretching and short walks.
Is your pain properly under control? No one knows how hard this op is unless they have done it
I thought I'd be back at work in 12 weeks and there was no way.
It's hard to chill when you can't sleep and are in pain and have so much to worry about but it's what you have to do if you can.
My GP gave me a mild antidepressant to help me cope
 
Dewey, I'm so sorry you're struggling. I don't have any advice to give as I'm new to this myself, but keep the faith and keep telling yourself that it will get better, it's just going to take time.
 
WARNING........here comes a pity party!! Tomorrow is 5 weeks since my RTKR. I'm already tired of this recovery, and I want it over!

darn Dewey, I truly wish I would of seen your post last night. I would of been more than happy to have a conversation with you and help you in anyway. Don't feel bad about yourself, I am having the exact same feelings. Yea, I know it is easy for me to say but I also am tired of restarting the day feeling like what happen to all that I did yesterday.
I have read other posts and I am like good for you, and I sincerely mean it, because I would like to be that far.
All I can say is that I hope the next day is better for you, and yes, it is a hard journey, with a roller coaster involved but maybe with a daily word of encouragement, does not have to be a long post, just encouragement for the day, we can get thru this.
A big warm hug to you and I wish each day is a better day for you :friends:
 
Dewey I am sorry to hear that you are so down. :console2: I am sure you must be frustrated at the pace of things, and I can only imagine it is upsetting to have any part of your medical team say things like you're behind in your ROM. You certainly don't seem alone in this. I have almost worried myself sick trying to find a PT that will NOT put this much pressure on me post-op, but how can I be sure?

I am sure that you are making progress, but maybe it feels so slow that you aren't even able to recognize it for what it is? Maybe you can take a look back through your pre-op and early recovery posts to see just how far you now are.

I hope you have a restful night and that you can face tomorrow with a renewed sense of recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
Thinking of you today Dewey and was hoping your days are getting better.
I had the same feeling of being behind, mostly due to muscle spasms that started about 12 days ago. But I am doing the best I can and if that is all I can do at the moment, that is it. Don't be too hard on yourself, it will come. One day we will look forward and say "what knee"?
Sending warm thoughts your way,
 
Hello! What a difference a week makes! I remember reading that at the six week mark, you begin to feel a bit better and brighter. Well..........I'll be six weeks on Monday, and I can finally say that I think I'm heading in the right direction now!
PT went well this week. I was able to rotate on the :bicycle1: both forwards and backwards!!! What a feeling! I was so happy and proud of myself! I do cheat a bit by leaning, but that's getting better each time. I rode for ten minutes yesterday! My ROM measured 85 yesterday, which is a ten degree increase since last week. I know it's still low, but I am so happy that I appear to NOT be stuck now!

I saw my OS yesterday. I was so dreading this appointment because I knew he'd want to schedule a MUA because of my low ROM. He seems to think that since my range was so low before the surgery, it will just take time to get it better now. He is not ruling out a MUA completely, but says if I improve in the next two weeks, I won't need one. Believe me, I'm going to do all I can to improve these numbers!! He recommends that I wait a couple of extra weeks to do knee #2, and we tentatively have it scheduled for April 8th. Knee#1 will be at the ten week mark. I will see him in two weeks to confirm. He also ok'd the pool now, so I will begin some water exercises on monday. I've read from lots of people that those exercises really help with ROM. I'm so hoping that's true for me!

I've gotten out of the house a couple of times this week, and WOW, does that help with the funky mood! Lunch with a friend did wonders for me!

I'm still having some slight sleep issues, I'm still taking my Tylenol #3 on a pretty regular basis, and I'm still feeling exhausted after the least little bit of activity. But, I am so pleased to say that I'm finally seeing some real improvement, and that helps a lot to make those negative things not seem so BIG anymore!

So........I'm here to tell you that it DOES get better!
 
Thank you, Carolyn! You are just a day past my date......have you noticed the "6 Week Improvement" yet??
 
Hello Dewey, I have just caught up with your thread after my surgery last week. :goodpost:
I was sad reading your low posts :console2: but delighted to read your more recent and positive post. Way to go Dewey.
I am so pleased that you have turned a corner. I am sure that you will find reading back on this incredibly helpful when you have knee two done. The joy of knee two will be knowing that they are both done.
I don't know how long I will have to wait for knee two but am hoping it won't be too long.
Take care my dear and know we are here for you.
Keep riding that bike but remember gently does it, :bicycle1:
Dewey rides again, hooray,
Love and hugs Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
WOW Dewey, what a fantastic post :goodpost: you sound so good, I am so happy for you and everything that you have accomplished these last couple of weeks.
Driving, free as a bird :-) yea, for you
10 degrees in a week, you can do it, I know you will make it for your next OS appt.
Plus :bicycle1: , go Dewey.
I am so happy for you Dewey, keep up the excellent work. Take care of yourself and congratulations!
Love your post :goodpost:
 
Well, now I' m here to tell you that THIS KNEE REALLY IS IN CHARGE!

After feeling like things were looking so, so much better, I'm back to the couch now! Yes, I think I've been one of those people who pushed a bit too hard when I shouldn't have! I tried Walmart on my own this morning, and wow....I needed a long nap when I returned home! The swellling is back, and the throbbing has started again. I feel like I've gone a bit BACKWARDS!:boohoo:

So, I'm going to slow it down now. PT and walking in the warm water pool will be it for me this week!

The knee is talking, and I'm going to listen! I've learned so much from this site, and I know that this recovery will take a long, long time! I'll have good days, and not so good days. I'm going to try hard to pay attention to all that I've learned!
 
Well, now I' m here to tell you that THIS KNEE REALLY IS IN CHARGE!
It also took many of us quite some time to learn this---and to learn that we were really no different!

I feel like I've gone a bit BACKWARDS!
Sometimes these do happen--I am not sure if you actually go backwards in ROM or that you just take a few days with no progression at all---but it is a roller coaster ride, isn't it!

So, I'm going to slow it down now.
An excellent idea---recovery can take a lot longer than we would like it to, so what is the hurry? The more you push it, the slower it goes.
 
Rest and ice tomorrow, take the pills and then start again the day after
Don't worry it happens, we've all done it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom