Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dewey, it will pass but for me it still depends on the night, some are better than others. Have you tried any of the ideas suggested here, Benadryl, Tylenol PM, or the new Nyquill for sleep. I know it gets tiring after a while day after day but it will pass. Keep us posted, you are in our thoughts. Take care.
 
No one told me ahead of time (except in Josephine's library) that sleep would be so difficult. And there really isn't an answer to "how long will this last." Yes, I know we are all different, but throw me a bone! I hope you find relief soon. Fresh air, physical work, routine? I thought all of these would help, too, but I had #2 done before I could try out my theory. Is there some aromatherapy to try? I wish you well in your quest--hang in there. My sleepless nights will be returning shortly.
 
Hello! Well, thought I'd update again. I'm now at TEN WEEKS on knee #2. Out-patient physical therapy is finished, although I'm still working on the bend at home and at a local health club. I guess I'm doing ok....just really thought I'd be further along by now!

Sleep continues to be an issue, although the horrible achiness at night has let up some. It's still present if I do too much during the day, but at least now pain med is helping. So I'm not waking because I'm hurting....I'm just waking! Like every two hours. I don't stay awake, but it's so maddening that I can't sleep for long periods of time. Hopefully, as time goes on, this will get better. I'm so fortunate that I don't have to go to work as I don't think I could do it! Dr. Oz spoke about how important good sleep is to our body and organs today, and it concerns me that I'm not getting it.

I continue to be concerned about my gait. I am really trying to remember to do heel/toe when I walk and practicing some balance exercises but I still walk on the toes of my feet and feel like my center of gravity is "off". Just wondering if anyone else felt this way? When I look in the mirror when I walk, I am leaning forward from my waist up. Could it be that my knees aren't straight enough to be able to stand nice and straight yet?

I'll sure be glad when I can say I'm so happy I did this. Although the horrible bone on bone pain is gone, I'm still living my life thinking of my knees ALL THE TIME. Hope that part goes away one day!

Thanks, again, for your opinion/advice on my gait. I need some input...
 
Hi Dewey. Has it really been 10 weeks? Sorry you are still dealing with sleep issues. Seems to be a reoccurring problem with folks here. It's good you can at least go back to sleep. I would toss and turn, Hot flashes every 20 minutes, and my legs so restless I would pound on them. I am not looking forward to that returning. I still think it's drug withdrawl that caused it. Sorry, I can't offer any advice, just well wishes.

How is knee #1 doing? Although your therapy is ending, regular activities will start providing you with lots of opportunities. Are you still icing and elevating both knees? There must still be some swelling if the bend is still an issue. I am one week out now from #2, and can't believe how the forced inactivity and elevating has made #1 so bendable. It doesn't straighten all the way without pain, but I can live with that, after all, I did for years.

Don't you have a vacation coming up?
 
Hi Dewey,
It sounds as though you are doing really well. Not sleeping through is annoying but it will come in time. I know it is easier said than done but I found it was better if I accepted it and didn't fret about it. I kept my kindle to hand and would have a little read then went back to sleep. Sometimes I just lay and had a little ponder.
You have come such a long way with both knees. It must be such a good feeling to know that you have them both done and the early days of recovery are over.
I think this part of the recovery has its own challenges as the progress is not so obvious. It is easy to feel that you are not actually making any progress because it is not so dramatic but when you think back to immediately post op you realise how far you have come.
I can't help on your gait. Is there any chance you could see a physiotherapist to ask about this as I imagine they would be the best person to advise or maybe one of the trainers at the gym could advise you on this. I hope you can get some reassurance.
I am still waiting for a date for knee two and I am inspired and reassured by how well you are doing, thank you.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Hello to anyone who is still following my posts!! Thought I'd come and give my 11 week update...

Things are moving along at a snails pace, but I do think I'm continuing to get better. There are some really good days when I think I've finally made it, and then there are those bad days when I get so frustrated that I'm not better by now. This recovery continues to be quite a roller coaster. I just wish I wouldn't get so discouraged on the bad days.....

Sleep continues to be a problem. I go right to sleep, but I just can't stay asleep longer than 2 hours or so. How I long for a nice 5 or 6 hours of continued sleep! I know many Bonesmarters have dealt with this, and I would so love to hear when you finally got your good sleep patterns back! I've tried just about everything now, and I'm just glad I don't have to work as yet. I'm certainly hoping this is better by the time school starts in August, that's for sure!

No real pain most days, just some awful stiffness/aches especially after I've been sitting for a little while. Those first few steps are sometimes tough. I can go upstairs the regular way most of the time, but still need the bannister for help. Coming down is still step by step, but I'm working on it. I think that's pretty normal. The night time pain/ache has really let up now even when I've over done it. Thank goodness for that!

I am only taking OTC meds now, Tylenol extra strength and an occasional Aleve. Most days, that seems to be enough. I am a LONG term Tylenol user, and I know that's not good. My dream is to not have to take anything at all someday!

We leave for our beach vacation in just a bit over two weeks now! Most days, I'm sure excited to go but on the days when I'm aching, I worry that it's too soon. I just want my husband to have a great vacation, and not worry about me. It will be pretty low-key and relaxing, so I'm hoping it'll be ok. I know a lot can change in two weeks, so I'm hoping I'm even better by then!

Thanks, again, to all of you that have helped me along this knee journey. I'll always remember how having a place where people really knew how I was feeling helped me cope. I wish you all the very best! :cheers: Here's to HAPPY KNEES!!
 
Thanks for the update. I think you are doing great, though I know you want to be farther along. 5 months ago today you had your first knee done. That really isn't such a long time ago for even one knee, not to mention both. I wish I could sent you some sheep to count to help you sleep. What does your GP say about your sleep? I am still on 2 narcotics, so I have been sleeping fairly well, but I am assuming I will have the same issues I did before.

You will do great on your trip. Just pace yourself and relax. You are right, a lot can change in 2 weeks, and at this stage it will be for the better. Our hubbies have been very patient with us and our back to back surgeries, haven't they. He deserves a break as well. Have one of those wonderfully hokey umbrella drinks for me!
 
I agree with Ready, you had two major surgeries in this year--it will take your body some time to recover. But, it will recover. You have a great attitude and will have a great time at the beach!!
 
Hi Dewey,
It's great to see that you are making such great progress after having both knees replaced in the last five months.
I think it's great that you have your beach holiday to look forward to. It sounds wonderful and I am sure it will do you both the world of good. Enjoy the good days and hang on tight on the not so good days until the roller coaster comes out of that dip and you reach another good day.
You can have a toast to your shiny new knees when you are on the beach.
Happy knees to you too, :martini:
Hugs Toothfairy x :yes!:
 
Dewey, I hope you are progressing well and are ready for your beach vacation. Enjoy the beach and relax.
 
Hello! Thanks for the well wishes, Leejaa!

Today marks 3 MONTHS since my second knee was done. It's so hard to believe it's been that long......and sometimes it seems like it's been so much longer than that! I guess I'm doing pretty well now, just not as well as I had hoped to be.

Pain is much, much better now. Even on the days that I overdo, the ache is nothing like it used to be. I'm really glad for that! I am still taking Tylenol on a pretty regular basis, though. I only take it in the morning and at bedtime, and that seems like it's enough. I've had a slight toothache (yuck!) the last few days, so I'm taking it for that, too. I just cannot wait until I can say I have NO PAIN anywhere!

We leave for the beach in a week. I have accepted the fact that it will be another year before I'll be able to walk the beach with my husband. It's ok. I do think I'll be able to walk enough to do some sightseeing, etc, but uneven surfaces are still tough for me. My stamina is still not very good, but it is getting better everyday. As long as I can sit for a few minutes, I can keep going. I can stand to cook an entire meal now....and I've been to Target and Walmart! It's definitely better than it was a few weeks ago.

My main complaint, as far as my knees go, is still the horrible stiffness when I first get up. It takes me about 10-12 steps to be able to walk somewhat normally. I guess it's getting better, and my gait seems better once I get going. I've been able to straighten up and I'm mostly walking heel/toe, sometimes without even thinking about it. Not normal, by any means, but better. That's all I can hope for.

I'm really beginning to believe the "it takes a whole year" to be normal. I didn't want to believe it, and I really thought I'd be able to do it much, much quicker. I'm still struggling on coming down stairs, but I've read that some don't cross that milestone until 7 or 8 months post op. So......it's ok. I'll get there.

Have had some concerns about infection......I'm worried about a sore throat I've had for a couple of days and a nagging toothache. I know I need to take antibiotics before a dental cleaning or work, but I wonder if a toothache that comes and goes warrants a dose? What do you think? I'm hoping to not have to have it taken care of until I get back from vacation. Some days it's good, some days it is bothersome so I know there's something going on. I know that's taking a big chance, but I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get into the dentist before we leave. Wish me luck, please! (Why, oh why, must I always have something to worry about???)

So......I'm still here, and I'm still improving. Hope you all can say the same!! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the update. I have followed you as you have blazed a trail for me through this long recovery. You've been a great leader, and I see you are still posting in the forum and encouraging others. It is frustrating to think that it takes a whole year to recover: just remember, it took you way longer than that to get to the point where you needed those new knees, and you were probably in greater pain before surgery than you are now.

Your vacation might not be what you dreamed of, but you will have plenty to keep you busy and probably won't even miss long walks on the beach. It will be great to get away and in a different atmosphere. You have been pretty cooped up for 5 months, a change of scenery will do wonders.

I hope you can get to the bottom of that nagging toothache before you go. Timing is everything, so it might be to your advantage to have it checked now rather than the day before your plane leaves.

Any improvement in the sleep department? I firmly believe that the insomnia that so many of us experience is one of the withdrawl symptoms from the drugs. Today, for the first time, someone from the medical community actually admitted to me that we can become addicted in just a few weeks. Everyone has been telling me it is not possible is such a short time. Hopefully you are now over that and sleeping well. Remember that mixing Tylenol and alcohol is not good for the liver, so easy on the frilly umbrella drinks.:martini:

Are you flying? My sister in law was just telling me she wears TED stockings when she flies, and she has never had TKR. They just make her legs feel good and not swell. They would look lovely with sandals and a cute sundress.:heehee:

Have fun preparing, packing, and anticipating your trip--I always think that's part of the fun. It's the unpacking I dread.
 
Dewey, good to hear from you. Try to take care of that tooth before going- you do not want an abscess forming and ruining your vacation. Enjoy the sun and change of scenery.
 
I am anxiously awaiting to hear how your vacation was. Hope both your knees tooth allowed you to enjoy yourself.
 
That must have been some trip:cheers2:! Seriously, getting a bit worried. Hope it's just a really long vacation. Let us know how you are doing.
 
OK, now I am really worried. I hope everything is OK.
 
Hello! Guess I have been "missing in ACTION" lately! So sorry, Ready, I didn't mean to worry you! We returned home from vacation last week, and I've been immersed in doing all the things I need to do around here before school starts. I can't believe I've been home since the end of January, and I haven't accomplished much around here at all! (I guess I did, though, have two pretty major surgeries!!) I know I won't get everything done, but I have to feel like I've done at least a little! Once school starts, all those jobs get pushed aside until next summer!

First for a "knee update"....
I'm trying hard to "pretend" that I have my life back. I'm certainly not where I want to be, and not even where I thought I'd be by now, but I continue to improve. I'm off all pain meds except for Tylenol, and that's not on an everyday basis now. I do usually take two in the mornings and sometimes I take two at bedtime. I really can't complain about pain.....with the exception of getting up from low chairs, that's still really hard for me. Stiffness, however, is my main problem. It takes 10-12 steps before I'm really up and going. I'm still working on my stamina, I tire easily. My gait isn't great yet.....I visited a new PT today who thinks my extension still needs some work, and that's why I'm walking funny and tire so easily. My bend today was 105 on Knee #1 (we knew this one would never be great), and 120 on Knee #2. Both are functional, although this new PT thinks he can get some more out of #1. I'm not sure I should have initiated this additional PT....I think he's going to be quite rough. The thought of going back to those painful days after therapy has me a bit worried. I do, though, want a better quality of life than I have right now. I'm only 4 months out of #2, but I think I should be a bit better. Ever heard of E-Stim? He was talking about using that to help with the flexion. He said it could involve some pain and discomfort. Hmmmmm.....not looking forward to those words again!

Our beach vacation was nice, except the "Sunshine State" had NO SUN!! It rained or was overcast every single day. We had a nice time, but if I had it to do over again, I would wait another month or two. I wasn't able to do much walking on the beach, and the rainy weather added quite a bit of achiness. After being in the house, though, for all those months, it was so good to see different surroundings. We always have a great time together, but we are really looking forward to next year's vacation now. I know I'll be much better by then!

I have had trouble with my feet.....mainly stiffness and achiness. They have bothered me for a couple of years, but my knees were so bad that I didn't really deal with them. Now that my knees are almost painfree, those ole feet were really bothering me. I visited my foot doctor and was told that I have horrible arthritis in my left foot and will need some extensive surgery. Not my greatest day, believe me! She hopes that surgery will be able to be put off for a few years, though. Boy.....me, too! I now have special orthotics that are really helping.

I can't decide if I'm really anxious to go back to school and normalcy, or if I'm really nervous to go back! I know that standing on those hard floors all day is going to be really, really hard. I'm just hoping that it's better, or at least no worse, than the last couple of years have been with really bad knees! I only have 3 more years until retirement, so I think I can do it!

Again, sorry I've been away so long. I haven't taken the time yet to catch up with you all....with the exception of Ready's posts. I'm so sorry about the recent death in your community. Please know my heart goes out to you all, and you are in my prayers. I hope to spend some time on this great site again soon!!

Take care, everyone. Hope those knees are healing nicely!
 
Welcome back! Good to hear you are home safe and sound. And thanks for the kind thoughts. Even though the weather didn't live up to your hopes, I am sure it was great to get away. It's pretty neat that you are already looking forward to next year. I hope you can get a few things done before going back (when is that?). I know what you mean about how work at home grinds to a halt once school starts.

Sorry your knee is not 100% yet. Perhaps the additional PT will help. I have had E Stim quite a bit. My chiropractor uses it, and my PT used it for the pain I had in the back of my knee. I personally love it. It's waves of electricity that fire the muscles in a sequence. It's the best part of my chiro appts. My husband had it once and thought it was torture. To each their own.

What a bummer to have foot problems along with the knees. So many on this site have suggested new shoes after getting new knees. Have you invested? Maybe you should get a Gel Pro mat for your classroom where you spend the most time. I am a little anxious to start school again, too. I did go back for a few weeks in the spring, but was really not too engaged. I have really gained strength and probably have more stamina now at 7 weeks than I did at the end of the year at 14 weeks with my first knee.

Thanks for checking in. Hope you have a good weekend and you continue to make progress.
PJ
 
Hi, Ready! Thanks so much for commenting on my post. I think you're the only one reading it now! I'm just wondering if you could please tell me a bit about E-Stim? When I asked the therapist about it, he said it wasn't electrodes but rather think clear plastic (he showed me the tools) that he rubs on the incision to loosen scar tissue. Yuck....that doesn't sound good, does it??? When I google it, it doesn't sound like what he's talking about. I wonder if it has a different name? Any idea?? Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom