TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dewey. I am glad thing have taken a turn for the better and you are content with your ROM progress and smart choices. I think you're doing great! You are not being lazy!! It only seems like that because you just came off of #1, so it feels like it's been forever. Think back to how knee #1 felt at 4 weeks. Stay on the couch and keep looking at your vacation brochures, which btw sounds heavenly.

Do it! I'm still on Knee One, but we've done several trips -- nothing huge, but all with walking. My first trip was 8 weeks out to snowy Montreal. The only reason I went was for my aunt's 90th birthday; her health isn't that great and she's a special lady. It wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but it was do-able.
If you start walking a bit more each day, by the time you go you'll be more than ready.
Hint: Support hose or socks (doesn't have to be super-strong Teds) for the plane ride. Try to get aisle seats so you can get up to stretch/walk.
And just think -- you'll be off pain meds, so you can have one of those silly tropical drinks.

Hahahahah......nope, not silly for me! I'm excited to have one......or a few! There's nothing better than a warm, tropical breeze on the sand with a cute oceanside waiter to bring it to me! Ahhhhhhhhh.....I can't wait. Actually, it's what has me working to get these knees bending!

I am a bit worried, though, that I'm sure not able to walk on that beach yet! Will I improve a lot in the next NINE weeks? That's all the time I have until we go!

Oh, you will improve with motivation like that! Just keep dreaming of sand and surf and umbrella drinks (and maybe Enrico, the cute waiter:wink:).

Hi Dewey, of course you will improve a lot in the next 9 weeks. Your holiday sounds idyllic. You really deserve it .
Have a great weekend and keep enjoying your excellent progress.
Hugs Toothfairy x :happydance: :SUNsmile:

9 weeks is a long time- many changes in how you feel and what your knee will do. I do not know about walking on sand from personal experience but if you take it easy it should not be that difficult--you can always use a walking stick as extra balance if you are concerned or better yet - your husband's arm. Think of the warmth and sunshine and how wonderful that will be for you and your knees.

And there's always window-shopping instead of walking on the beach.

5 Weeks today.....sometimes that feels like such a LONG time, and sometimes I have to remind myself that's it's ONLY been 5 weeks! I'm sure you understand what I mean!

I'm doing ok, but wish I was better! This is the time with knee #1 that I began to get really depressed about not being able to do much. I'm afraid that it's starting again......the last few days have been rough. The stiffness is just terrible, and it's very hard to get up and around after sitting for a while. I can't say it's real pain, but it sure is uncomfortable. I have a few questions about that......

-This terrible stiffness....is it possible that I am undermedicated for 5 weeks? I have stopped the Percocet and am taking one or two Tylenol #3 every 5 or 6 hours. I really am not hurting except when I get up from sitting or laying down. The first 20 steps or so are really uncomfortable. My gait is terrible, and I walk like a 90 year old woman! I do still ice and elevate, but I will admit it's not as much as I have been. My activity level has increased slightly, but I still spend tons of time on the couch. (I am getting really tired of that now, too!)

-How long will this stiffness last? It's just discouraging, and I find myself not wanting to get up!

-My ROM is still not great, but it's at least over 95 now. I feel like knee #1 bends very well on it's own when I walk, very natural and I don't have to think about it anymore. Knee #2, though, is very stiff and hard to get to bend while walking. Is this normal?

I see the OS on Friday for my 6 week checkup. I am hoping he will let me start water walking at the local warm pool as I think that will be good for both knees. I think it will help my state of mind, too. I want to see improvement everyday, or at least every week, but it seems to have slowed way down now. Please give me some encouragement.....I really need it!

Thanks....I know there are so many wonderful people here who will try to make me feel better! I sure appreciate your help!

Even while you're on the couch, do you do heel slides or whatever? I still find some days when I sit/laze around too long that my knee gets stiff, so I do try to remember to move it every 15 minutes or so. Nothing huge, just a few raises if I'm sitting down or slides if lying down.
Re. water walking, the best thing ever. Ever! And "bicycling," using a float of some sort. Just start slowly & don't overdo it. Enjoy!

You have been recovering for a while now with one knee and now the other so of course you feel like it is taking forever- our emotions get to us and are very real. You are progressing slow and steady but I am sure it is hard to think that when you have been doing it for a while. Maybe pain meds closer together so you have no discomfort at this early stage might be an option. You state your gait is terrible- are you using cane,crutches, walker? My home PT kept me on the walker for quite a while -- and had me practice walking properly but slowly so that the gait would improve instead of just getting from point A to point B. It was annoying but it helped in the long run and then my OP PT kept watching me as I walked and reminding me to concentrate on the gait.

I know you will get there so have faith in yourself and how much you have already accomplished. We are here for you as you have been for others.

:console2: Good words of wisdom from leejaa and pdx. With warmer weather comes the desire to do more, but it's only 5 weeks!! No doubt you have felt like you have been on the couch since the end of January. Sending you a hug.

Pain Meds: Remembering my 6 week check up, my OS was disappointed in me that I decided NOT to continue with the oxycontin and really insisted that I refill the Tramadol and oxycodone. He really wanted me as pain free as possible so I would stretch and exercise, etc.

Stiffness: I am now a full 10 weeks with "lefty" and she still gets stiff. Some evenings, especially after I ODI, I feel like it hardly bends. At my check up today, my OS said there are some compartments in there that can hold fluid and cause that stiff feeling. He assured me that this will pass, but not for at least 6 months. PATIENCE seems to be the theme. I remember sometimes walking stiff legged up until just a few weeks ago. I made my family scold me when they saw me do that. I cannot take more than a few doses of an NSAID to help reduce inflammation (for me it causes edema everywhere), but maybe that is an option for you. I still feel the need to ice and elevate to help with the pain and stiffness.

ROM: At my checkup today we discussed ROM--mine is between 115 and 118--he thought that was excellent because it will continue to improve over the next year. Again PATIENCE. When we are younger, we want it NOW, but life, when we finally participate again, will be good therapy for that ROM.

You are doing so well--keep reminding yourself that it has been 5 weeks. Have you gone back and read how you felt with #1 at 5 weeks?? It will happen. By the time your trip rolls around you will be feeling so much better. When school starts in the fall, you'll be ready for it.

BTW, I am doing 1/2 days at school starting tomorrow :yahoo: and scheduled surgery for "Mr. Right" for June 10 :umm: .

:) 6 Weeks tomorrow......somedays it feels like this recovery time is going fast, and somedays it feels SOOOO SLOW! I'm sure it seems longer for me considering I've been at this since the end of January. For some reason, I think I should be further along with this knee than I was with the first one at six weeks! I guess it's because I've just about SAT all I can sit and ICED about all I can ice! (Hmmm....does that sound like some discouragement there??) I really thought it would be better with #2 due to the fact that the weather would be better, and I'd be able to get out more. But..........I think that's made it a bit worse because there's so much I want to do, and I JUST CAN'T DO IT YET! I do try to get out and about a little more each day, but I usually pay for it the next day. I know that sounds familiar to many of you, and I know it's normal, but it's so hard for me to just sit inside while it's so beautiful outside!

I'm not happy with my gait yet, and I'm not happy with my ROM yet. I saw the OS surgeon on Friday, and his answer to all of my concerns and questions was "just give it time". He didn't seem concerned at all that my ROM is still only about 97 on both knees. He didn't seem concerned about my continued swelling, or the fact that my stamina still stinks. He didn't ask to see me walk or inquire what my activity level has been. He doesn't want to see me again FOR A YEAR!! I have no restrictions and can finally begin to use the warm water pool for exercise. Does anyone find it strange that I don't need any follow-up appointments for an entire year?

I'm only taking a few Tylenol #3 tablets a day now and sometimes supplement with Extra Strength Tylenol. Somedays I take more, but if I'm just sitting here I don't feel like I need much. I do continue to take two T3's at nighttime regardless if I need it or not. My sleep is a bit better now (yippy!), and I only wake to change positions and usually go right back to sleep. I very seldom take any pain med in the night now. I have found that regular Extra Strength Tylenol, by itself, is still not quite enough when there is pain. It doesn't touch it much, but I take one ES Tylenol and 1 Tylenol 3 together sometimes, and that helps. I can't wait to be able to stop the narcotic pain meds altogether.....I hate the side effects! I don't think I've ever eaten so much FIBER in my life!!! Ha!

This stiffness is my biggest complaint right now. I work and work to increase the bend on both knees, but they both will only go so far and just feel so stiff. It's especially bad when I've been sitting or laying down for any length of time. It's very difficult to get up and moving! I know this is common, but is there anything I can do specifically for the stiffness? I cannot take anti-inflamatories, and I think that would help with the swelling which is probably causing the stiffness. UUUGGGHHH...

All in all, though, I have to say my recovery is going ok. I know that it could be so much worse, and I thank my lucky stars that I'm doing as well as I am. Do I wish I was better? You bet, but I continue to tell myself that my day will come, and I really will be able to walk, etc., better than I have in a long, long time. I continue to pray that I'm right! I'd love any advice, opinions, or just some "don't worry, Dewey, it will get better" comments from you! Thanks so much, once again, for being there when I need you!

Does anyone find it strange that I don't need any follow-up appointments for an entire year?

Doctorwithhammerandsaw.gif Dewey, you have to remember that your OS DOES surgery. He DOES NOT DO recovery!!

• Agree
Reactions: pdx
Hmmmm....that doesn't make sense to me! Recovery is part of the surgery, isn't it?

So, should I make an appointment with my GP for this part of it? Thanks for your opinions!

My OS protocol is to see his pts at 1m,3m,8m,1yr and if all OK yearly after that. It seems one visit at 6 wks is a little too few for follow up for such a surgery. You could follow up with your GP but he/she is not usually an expert on surgery recovery or if you have questions or issues you can still make an appt. with your OS whether it is his protocol or not. He is still your surgeon and if you have questions - he needs to answer them. I find it works best even for follow ups to make a list of my questions.

My last appointment was at 7 weeks. My next appointment is next March. Of course they told me if I had any problems, call.
My knees get very stiff if I stand for a long time in one place. The loosen right up after I walk a bit. I have learned from this site that it takes a good year for the knees to heal. When I get stiff I walk.

As far as your recovery, I went thru ( and am still going thru) EVERYTHING you have described. Not to worry. However, I don't think the surgeon should have released you so early. I would have a discussion about that with him/her, or talk to your GP and see if you could possibly be referred to another OS for follow up. Not sure how that works, but my feeling is you should have regular checkups for the first year, then yearly etc. Best of luck, and you are doing just fine. Stay strong.

:friends: Sending a hug your way, Dewey. It is difficult to watch spring burst around you and feel like you can't participate. Maybe everyone should have this surgery in late fall so we can hibernate like bears and be ready when the weather turns. I, too, feel the stiffness and pay for my over exertion. I know you've been working on recovery for 3 and a half months, but that's still only 1/3 of the way there! It sounds like your OS is reassuring you--gotta listen to him. As far as OS visits, mine does a 2 week, 5 week, and 10 week appointment. Since I am doing #2 soon, I don't really know what would be next. Remember, you can always make another appointment if necessary. In the mean time, your PT is probably your link to regular feedback. I can't remember if you have a good one?

Question: Are you watching how many mg of Tylenol you are taking? Limit of 4,000/day! I can take only limited doses of anti inflammatories as well. Google anti-inflammatory foods and see if any of those help. They are all good for you anyway, and loaded with FIBER! Careful when you stop the narcotics as many of us have had creepy withdrawl symptoms .

I hope you can get into a warm pool and that helps. In the mean time, keep looking up. You will get there!

Hello, and thanks so much for your feedback! I guess I should feel like the surgeon must think I'm doing well, but I think I'm just the type that needs that reassurance that everything is ok. I'm sure he would see me if I needed an appointment, and I will call if anything unusual comes up. I have many, many questions for my PT, and I believe she is very knowledgeable. It does help to have her positive comments on how I'm doing.

Actually, Ready, I always try to keep it to 3,000 mg of Tylenol in 24 hours. I'm a long-term Tylenol taker, and I have always adhered to their guidelines. They changed the limit from 4,000 to 3,000 a while back. Thanks for the reminder, though.

I read lots of withdrawl problems from drugs like Percocet and Hydrocodone, but I've never read any accounts of trouble with Tylenol with Codiene. Anyone have any info on that? I know I will taper the dose naturally as I don't need it anymore.

Thanks, again, all! I so appreciate your posts....lots and lots! Hope you all had a great, painfree weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Loki54
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom