TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of followup, the hospital where I went does almost 700 a year, and their protocol is after your 6-week visit, you're outta there for a year -- unless you're having a specific problem, of course. But by six weeks, your infection and clot risks are basically gone, if you're ROM's progressing you're on your way, etc. Nothing more for a surgeon to do if he/she has cleared you to get on with your life. No reason to make another payment on the surgeon's Porsche, in other words. Celebrate!
 
Hi Dewey. Just wondering how you are feeling today, (and showing off the new Avatar bottomshollow found for me). I agree with pdx about lining the OS pockets unnecessarily. All of us here on BoneSmart have certainly done our part to keep the economy going$$.

Take care
 
Dewey, just dropping by to say hello and to let you know we are thinking of you and wishing you well. You do not have to reply if you are not up to it. Just want you to know that we are here and care about you.
 
In terms of followup, the hospital where I went does almost 700 a year, and their protocol is after your 6-week visit, you're outta there for a year -- unless you're having a specific problem, of course. But by six weeks, your infection and clot risks are basically gone, if you're ROM's progressing you're on your way, etc. Nothing more for a surgeon to do if he/she has cleared you to get on with your life. No reason to make another payment on the surgeon's Porsche, in other words. Celebrate!


Boy I wish my surgeon did that!! My surgeon wants his patients in at 4 weeks, then again at 6 months for an x-ray and a few questions about how you are getting along with the knee.

That's not excessive, but my surgeon is a two hour drive one way from my home and thwt drive gets tedious.
 
Hello, and Happy Memorial Day! Hope everyone is having a great day with friends and family. It's cool and rainy in the Midwest, so there's not going to be too many picnics in this area.

Today is SEVEN weeks for knee #2 and 17 weeks for #1! I'm afraid I really need a good "pep talk" from my Bonesmart buddies....

The last time I wrote, I told you all how tired I was with sitting on the couch, icing, and taking it easy. Well, I really felt so much better, and I started increasing my activity last week. We had a graduation to attend, went out to dinner a couple of times, traveled about 2 hours for an overnight at a local casino, and even walked around a shopping mall! I felt like I did really well, and maybe, just maybe I was beginning to get my life back! I felt so good to be out and about again!

Well, I have to say WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE that was! I hadn't really experienced the "overdid it club" yet, and boy, oh boy, I'm really paying for it now! I'm ok (still really stiff and a bit swollen) in the daytime, but the nights are HORRIBLE! I cannot believe the deep ache I'm feeling when I lay down to sleep! My pain meds don't even touch it, and, needless to say, my sleep is really suffering! Once I'm up, I'm better and the pain is gone for the most part, but that nighttime pain is just awful!

Why is that? What happens when I lay down that doesn't happen when I'm up or resting on the couch? How long will this last?? Believe me, I've decided the fun stuff will just need to wait for a while (I hope not too long, though!), and I've put myself back on the couch with ice again.

I will welcome any "insights" you all may have for this. (You think this night time pain is due to overdoing, right? Hope there's not something else going on!) I'm waiting for those "pep talks" now that say don't push it, patience, patience, patience.......

Thanks!
 
Two totals in just seventeen weeks - you are amazing. It sounds to me like you are doing great.
Sorry you've over done it though. I'm sure I will as well at some stage - I guess you just don't know you've overdone it until you've done it!
I'm still at the slightly unsure of what I can do stage. It's so hard to know which way to go - too much or too little. Too much is more attractive!
Do hope the aches pass fast.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
TOO MUCH ALL AT ONCE!!!!! You don't have to be stuck at home 24/7, but maybe one activity a week would have been much wiser. And now you've got angry soft tissue acting up. Usually the reason for the dull ache at night is that you're just more aware of what's happening with your knees when you're in bed with no distractions---like TV, the stereo, or the computer or ipad.This too shall pass---but it's going to take a little TIME.

The secret to a good recovery is TIME & PATIENCE. We all have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give the knee(s) the TIME needed to heal. And since they tell us that full recovery will take at least 12 months---that's 52 weeks---you still have further to go than you're come. So slow down, spread your activities out and rest a few days in between and keep following the mantra.

Just remember you're in good company----almost everyone does this to themselves----and more than once.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2
 
Hi Dewey. Sorry you are experiencing sleepless/painful nights. Overdoing it is most likely the culprit. I often have the most pain at night. Sometimes I am aching and must sit up with my legs over the bed to get rid of the pain. You may feel like you aren't getting anywhere in recovery, but look at all the activity you did! You earned that soreness and stiffness. Seven weeks--still early in the game, girl. Your knee will calm down and you will feel so good that you will probably go out and over do it again sometime real soon. Good luck with that pain. Are you icing?
 
Hello, again...

8 weeks ago today, I had my second knee done! I have to say it sure seems a lot longer than that....a lot! That's probably because, though, #1 knee was only 10 weeks old at the time! I feel like I've gotten a little bit of a taste of what a BTKR would have been like......I am sure the first few weeks would have been harder, but I guess the entire process wouldn't have taken such a L-O-N-G T-I-M-E!

The roller coaster continues, and frankly, I want off! My weekend was horrible with that horrible stiffness and bone achiness most of the time. Yesterday, thank God, was so much better, and I really don't know why. I guess this is just the way it's going to be for a while.

My good news for the week......therapy yesterday went great. Finally reached over 100 on knee #2! It was 105 with some gentle (I refuse to let her hurt me!) pushing. I'd been waiting for that day, so I was pretty excited! Knee #1 had increased some, too, but is still only about 97. I'm ok with it, though, because I still continue to believe it's going to get better slowly but surely! (Wow, that's a long way from the gal who worried and worried about her ROM just a few weeks ago!)

My bad news for the week is I'm still feeling like this is going to last FOREVER. I'm wishing to see daily improvement, and instead, I see a real backward turn many days. There are a couple good days in there, but I still get discouraged so easily. I guess it's because I really thought I'd be so much better by 8 weeks. The stiffness and aches really do take their toll on me, I'm afraid. I have only SIX WEEKS until our beach vacation......I have to get better by then!!

This is just an update.....I'd love to hear some encouraging words again. You know, just hearing someone tell me this is normal and it WILL get better really helps me! I ran into an acquaintance yesterday who had had a knee replaced ten years ago. When I explained the stiffness and achiness, her response was "Oh my, I wonder what's wrong? I didn't have that at 8 weeks." I did take it with a grain of salt, but...

Thanks, again, for telling me ONE MORE TIME that this is normal and it will get better!!! You guys are GREAT!
 
It is normal and it will get better. It already has but you are tired. You are doing great considering how long you have been in recovery with the two knees and getting tired-- which is so normal. As far as your acquaintance - don't just use a grain of salt but a pound of salt. We all forget especially 10 yrs ago what we went through and what it felt like especially emotionally and she probably does not have a log like we do on this site to be reminded of our feelings during the worst and best times.

You are in my thoughts and I know you will get to the other side completely. Take care.
 
Dewey, good to hear from you, even though you are still frustrated by your (seemingly) slow progress. I'll bet you make progress by leaps and bounds over the next few weeks and will be ready to dance on the sand when you get to the beach! Well, maybe not dance, exactly! I found just walking on the sand a little hard after my TKR, but as long as I took things slow I did fine. Keep us posted!
 
Hi Dewey. Sorry you're feeling the blues. 8 weeks really isn't that long ago, you know. I am sure you will continue to improve and be ready for your vacation. Are you still on some pain meds? It has been a long haul, but stick with it. Soon you will be in awe of what you can do. And just remember that this is YOUR recovery and YOUR timing. We always feel the need to compare ourselves with others--even here on the forum where we know better. Your acquaintance probably had lots of stiffness at 8 weeks, too. Hey--I have almost forgotten the first few weeks and how much it hurt. I would certainly not remember after 10 years. Hope each day is better.
 
This is actually a tricky time for you and your knees. On the one hand, you are bored and want to get on with it. ON the other hand, it has been only 8 weeks since your last MAJOR surgery!!!

When I felt the same way as you did---my doc suggested that I stay up for two hours and then rest with leg elevated for one hour. I chaffed at it, but it really did help my knee. When you are tired, all the aches and pains of your soft tissues keep you up at night. The answer is to take it easier for two more weeks. Rest more, elevate the leg---you are almost there, you don't want to give up now.
 
I'm at 9 weeks now.....and I know I'm better. In fact, my PT wants to discharge me tomorrow. I have made good progress, I know, and I'm so much better than I was just a few weeks ago, but I feel like I have so much more to go! My ROM is still not good, only 105 and 100, (she says it will get better with normal life), my walk is just not good at all (she says with practice I'll be able to teach myself to walk correctly), and I still have tons of night pains that are interrupting my sleep (she says that, too, will get better with time). I know I should listen to her, but I'm such a worry-wart that I'm so afraid if I'm left alone this will be as good as it gets!

I am planning on continuing my exercises at home, go to the local health club to ride the bike, and swim a couple times a week. Do you all think that will be all I need to do, or should I request a few more weeks of therapy?? I just don't know what to do.....
 
You might work on exercises at home but request a "checkup" appointment with the PT in a couple of weeks.
 
You are on your way to that vacation in the sun and sand. You will get there.
 
Dewey, I think you'll do fine without PT. I found that what helped me the most was just getting out and living! Normal activities such as cooking, light cleaning, laundry, shopping (even if you have to hold on to the shopping cart!) will get you and your knees moving. But take it slow and don't try to do too much at any one time.

Concentrate on getting a correct stride when you walk, even if it isn't correct all the time. Keep up with your gentle exercises too, and as kneeper suggested, request a PT follow up in a few weeks to make sure you're on the right track.
 
Thanks for your posts! I talked with the OS today about the night-time achiness. He said it was completely normal and may last for more than SIX MONTHS!!! Oh my, the thought of this kind of sleep for another 4 months makes me want to cry! When did you all start sleeping better???

He suggested that I try the exercises on my own for 4 weeks. If I don't feel like my bend and my gait have improved, he will order some more therapy. I'm happy with that, and I will try hard to get a good routine going.

Take care, everyone!
 
Here I am again after another almost sleepless night! I really thought I was going to by-pass this as I had no trouble sleeping for weeks directly after the surgery!! I can go to sleep just fine....I just can't stay asleep! I lost count the amount of times I awoke last night! Arrrrggggghhhhh!

So..........please tell me this won't last too long!
 
It appears the sleeplessness is inevitable to some degree. Before my 2nd surgery, I was just getting back into a tolerable pattern. It will come. I am sure you have tried all the tricks. Good luck. I will send my UFOs your way (see my post).

My ROM in lefty has improved quite a bit since I stopped therapy and moved on to straight life. No numbers to back it up, bit the way I bend my knee it is obvious. Now after laying around for 4 days, it's really good in lefty with virtually no pain. My husband just looks at me with the WELL DA look. I will have my PT measure the left today and see where that one is. He will be tickled as the numbers seem to be as much for our therapists as for us. Sometimes more. Your numbers will also continue to improve when you are least expecting it and not even trying. Honestly, I care more about if I have enough ROM to get into a car, walk, ride a bike, and garden than where it is on the chart.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom