Guest viewing is limited

THR Designer girl has a shiny new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, this is my 15 week update! Hard to believe it's been that long already. I've been doing pretty well, back to work at my full 32 hours per week, attacked my garden (which had been neglected for two years) with gusto and started going back to the gym a bit. I've modified the way I garden so I don't stress the recovering hip. No extreme squatting and such, but I got it back in shape over a period of a few weeks. When I over do it, I do get a bit of mild discomfort, so I pull back and cool it for a few days and things tend to settle down. It's a delicate balance this recovery thing and I'm getting better at it every day.

Had a bit of a dental dilema a few weeks back. I broke a corner piece off a crown on my back molar. The dentist was able to smooth it out and the crown will be replaced by the end of the year. My OS had me take 4- 500mg Keflex tabs and hour before the appointment. Everything went well and the antibiotic didn't cause any unpleasant side effects. I do need to schedule a colonoscopy in a few weeks and I have my Keflex tabs ready for that also.

I'm still taking one 220 Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) in the morning, but sometimes I forget to take it. I haven't gotten back on my bike yet, we've had such rainy weather here this spring, but I will venture to do that soon. The garden took top priority and I didn't want to risk doing too much and screw things up. I am a bit paranoid and cautious about things now. I don't want to have anything bad happen to my recovery. That being said, I still do plenty of walking and lots of stairs, but there will be no super woman activities going on here for some time. It's just such a relief to be able to tackle everyday activities without pain. BTW my new avatar is a photo of my daughter and I on Mother's Day. She took me to brunch and shopping, plenty of walking—no pain!
 
I did read that the breast stroke should be avoided because of the leg motions. That is always how I used to swim and I found out yesterday - through a reminder my hip gave me - that it is something I should not do.
 
designergirl... What a great update! So glad you are doing so well! I love the new photo of you and your daughter!!

Take care,
Valarie
 
[Bonesmart.org] Designer girl has a shiny new hip!
designergirl, great update!!!! Happy you're doing so well. Love your new avatar--two fine looking ladies. Don't be a stranger---we miss you and enjoy hearing from you. New members need all the inspiration they can get.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
designergirl,
So glad to hear and See you are doing so well! Your new avatar and your mood say it all! And what a beautiful sweet daughter you have! I have been cleaning my house for weeks like a mad woman. This surgery has been such a blessing. I haven't felt this good in 10 years! I also need to update my thread but I wanted to pop in real quick to give you kudos.

Hugs,
Weezi
 
designergirl Thank you for letting us know how you are getting on and what a great report too! I love your picture you both look so happy.Keep us up to date with your future recovery please.
 
Hello designergirl... Like Mother, like daughter.. Two peas in the pod, both beautiful ladies.. Great report, progressing cautiously.. That's the girl :)
 
designergirl great update, even greater photo :) I'll bet you feel very smug about your garden...LOL. I would too. It sounds like you are moving towards "the new normal" very smoothly. Keep it up :) !
Weezi we want an update from you too please :)
 
Sounds like you really had a great recovery!!I just wanted to tell you what my PT told me. She's had 2 patients with hip replacement that got infections while working with mulch in the garden! Who would think of that!?! She said to make sure you wear gloves and wash immediately if you get any small cuts. I just thought I'd pass that on!!!
 
designergirl it is great to hear from you and see you're doing so well. It sounds like you had a very special Mother's Day and you're enjoying your new life. You were my first hip buddy, we had surgery on the same day. My first hip is doing so well I hardly notice it at all. My second hip is coming along but being it's 6 weeks behind the first one, it does feel it too. I do get muscles pain in both if I over do like on my feet too long or walk to much. Keep posting.
 
acbelmar, great advice about gardening, infections and wearing gloves.. a gentle reminder for all of us really :)
 
designergirl, I've been reading your recovery story and want to tell you how much I've appreciated it! Your day by day report and the detail that you provided we're very helpful! I'm having my RTHR in November and reading your recovery story and that of others is a great help in making me feel prepared. :thankyou:

Do you mind a couple questions? zauberflöte, Peaches, bottomshollow - you girls may have some advice here too. How long does the leg feel like a ton of bricks? And how long do you have difficulty getting in and out of bed with it? What do you recommend as aids to help with that?

I'm also wondering about how long to have someone with me full time? Is one week enough? Two weeks better? My dear 81 year old dad (who, by the way, is in remarkable shape) :bicycle1: , will be coming to stay with and care for me, along with my step mom. And after the first two weeks, I have several friends who have volunteered to take shifts staying with me. Do you think I'll need that? Or will it be enough if they just check in on me daily? I'm thinking that having them make dinner for a few weeks will be a big help. I have two teenage boys at home -one will be in school all day, and the other at work all day, so they won't be around to offer help until the evening.

Would love your thoughts on this.

Congratulations to you, designergirl and other who recently had their surgeries! Keep posting! You are such an encouragement!!
 
BlueSkylark If you have someone to be with you the first week for sure the second week is a probably and by the third week you should be able to do several things on your own and have someone check in on you to do the things you can't. Ask your doctor what he recommends, different techniques require different limitations too.
 
BlueSkylark. My leg felt heavy for almost three weeks but I didn't need an aid to lift it. If you slide onto bed butt first and use you arms and other leg to pull yourself on perpendicular to the head of the bed, you can then swing your body around to get your head on the pillow. Sounds more complicated than it is. If you have precautions be sure to put the clothing you need in a place you can reach. I was dragging my underwear drawer open with my foot, and taking things out with a grabber. It would have been a lot easier to move things around. Same goes for pots and pans you will use when you feel up to making your meals.

I agree with sandy beach that having someone around for the first week or two makes it much better. You will be tired, and cooking for two teenage boys will be too much for you, if they eat as much as my son did at that age.
 
@BluSkylark my leg felt heavy for the first 2 weeks, but it progressed pretty well and I moved it around on my own within a week. When I came home from the hospital after 3 days, I had around the clock help for three days, then I was on my own during the day from then on. At night my hubby cooked for me and did all the household duties. For 6 weeks, my daughter came and cleaned the house on the weekend. I was prepared with easy access to the stuff I would need most. I only used a walker for 7 days total, then onto a cane. I only moved to the cane when I felt strong and steady enough. Everyone is different, so don't base your expectations on other peoples experiences. I've seen this by reading everyone's recovery threads and no two hips heal the same. Just take it at a slow pace, you can do more harm than good trying to do too much too soon.
 
I'm 2 weeks shy of the 6 month anniversary of my RTHR. I hardly notice my hip anymore. Totally pain free, just occasional stiffness if I sit in one position for too long. I bicycle, walk, garden and run up and down stairs with no problems. My ROM is great. I'm so happy I had this done. It is marvelous to be pain free and I really feel my energy is totally back. I just had a check-up with the OS last week and everything looks good. He did such a great job, I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom