THR DesertDiva's Recovery Thread

Way too much PT and activities this early - no wonder you are hurting. 5hrs of stores even with a riding cart though I understand that you were trying to stock up. I would tell the PT no for now except for gentle moves and not too long or too many reps. If he is making you nervous, then you know you are not happy doing these. They might have degrees but it is not their bodies and their pain.
 
Hi @DesertDiva
I'm sorry you're struggling today. I think you may be doing too much, too soon, but rather than be a little nervous about it, consider dialing it back for now. I'm sure with some rest and dedicated icing you'll quickly be back on track. The PT can wait until you're 6-8 weeks post op and by that time you may feel the need to work on something in particular, or even decide you're doing well enough without it.

It sounds like you're dealing with some internal rotation (toeing inward) I went into surgery just the opposite, external rotation, and was told surgery would correct it. Much to my dismay I noticed the same thereafter, but was reassured by my surgeon that it would disappear with time, which it did.

I think the groin, leg, knee pain....all of it will settle as your two new hips adjust to one another while your gait is once again changing. It's certainly early days into your latest recovery and not far into your initial recovery. Two major surgeries within three months is a lot of controlled trauma to the body. For now, I'd concentrate on taking the meds on schedule, getting adequate rest, good nutrition and frequent icing and elevation. I believe much of the rest will slowly settle with time.
Wishing you lots of comfort and a night of restorative rest.
 
I had both the toeing in and an extremely sore achilles tendon. Oh and a very sore and unstable knee! I was advised to make sure I gripped my thigh muscles (quadriceps) when walking and that would stabilize the lower leg and it did seem to help. I am now at 6 months and 2 weeks and I don't toe in any longer. I believe that went away around the 3 month mark, give or take. the ankle and achilles tendon are still a little tender but I rarely notice it unless I wear a pair of my boots or dressier and less supportive shoes.

I agree with Layla, try to keep a good schedule that ensures you are getting adequate rest, follow your Dr's instructions with your meds, eat right and :ice:. It's still early days for you, hippie friend. :flwrysmile:
 
The PT sounds aggressive; when you say he stretched your leg do you mean he "mobilized" your hip joint (i.e. grabbed your foot and pulled)?

@Stripey - Yes, that's exactly what he did.

That seems a bit much at this point and would make me very nervous but I'm no expert; my OS doesn't allow PT until after week 6.

Wow, that's interesting because I'm having home PT for the first six weeks and then I'm "done." I asked my OS if he wanted me to go to PT afterwards (when I could drive) and he said no.

I read with interest about your toe turning in. I'm also toeing in on my bad side. OS says I do it to take the pressure off the most painful part of my hip joint (some people toe OUT for the same reason). Is it your just-operated side that is toeing in even after surgery?

Yes, it's my newly operated hip side that is toeing out. However, I'm sure that pre-surgery I compensated quite a bit because I had groin, knee, and sometimes ankle pain - probably due to the leg length discrepancy.

I'm impressed with all you are able to do so soon after surgery!

Thank you for saying that, but in reading other "hip journeys" I feel somewhat fortunate in terms of the level of pain I've experienced. Perhaps I have a higher tolerance. However, I've always been not a super active, but somewhat active person and like to bike, kayak, and hike. Travel has always been my love and I'm in no way a "homebody." I'm happiest when I'm "in motion" exploring new things and meeting up with my RV friends...
 
Way too much PT and activities this early - no wonder you are hurting. 5hrs of stores even with a riding cart though I understand that you were trying to stock up. I would tell the PT no for now except for gentle moves and not too long or too many reps. If he is making you nervous, then you know you are not happy doing these. They might have degrees but it is not their bodies and their pain.

@leejaa - I'm sure you're absolutely right. My "activity day" also included a trip out to my RV in storage to get my hiking poles per the PT's suggestion.

The PT is somewhat interesting, as he works for a home health care facility here in Southern New Mexico and is from Brooklyn, New York. Several months ago he had a roller-blade accident and has some sort of pin in HIS hip. To be fair, when I've told him I've had pain after he does back off, but he does like to "push the envelope."

My main exercise now is while sitting in my recliner with my legs up, I bend my knee and push my heel (on the first operated side) and lift my other leg horizontally as far as I can (which is only about an inch).

Thanks for your advice...:thankyou:
 
Hi @DesertDiva
I think you may be doing too much, too soon, but rather than be a little nervous about it, consider dialing it back for now. I'm sure with some rest and dedicated icing you'll quickly be back on track. The PT can wait until you're 6-8 weeks post op and by that time you may feel the need to work on something in particular, or even decide you're doing well enough without it.

@Layla - I'm sure I am doing too much, but having lived alone for so long I'm used to relying on myself. I am resting more (I took a three hour nap in bed yesterday), and sitting in my recliner instead of upright in my computer chair as I did with my first hip replacement. I appreciate you (and others) reminding/telling me to ice more often as sometimes I just ignore doing it.

It sounds like you're dealing with some internal rotation (toeing inward) I went into surgery just the opposite, external rotation, and was told surgery would correct it. Much to my dismay I noticed the same thereafter, but was reassured by my surgeon that it would disappear with time, which it did.

I think probably everyone who has a hip replacement (or major surgery for that matter) wonder if they will ever be the same again. Being in some level of pain (and going through PT until I found out I had avascular necrosis which created more pain) eventually (as everyone knows) takes not only a physical but also an emotional toll.

I think the groin, leg, knee pain....all of it will settle as your two new hips adjust to one another while your gait is once again changing.

I sure that everything will eventually "level out," it's just that I'm obviously not the most patient person in the world.

It's certainly early days into your latest recovery and not far into your initial recovery. Two major surgeries within three months is a lot of controlled trauma to the body. For now, I'd concentrate on taking the meds on schedule, getting adequate rest, good nutrition and frequent icing and elevation.

I know - I'm trying to behave! However, we're talking about the person who tried to stand on her bed and remove and wash her bedroom curtains the day before her first hip surgery. :bignono:

Wishing you lots of comfort and a night of restorative rest.

If I haven't said it before, your kind and informative comments (as well as those of otheres) help keep me focused and on track. Thank you as I don't know how you make the time to respond to so many in need...
 
Thanks for the kind words. I received so much here, myself, making it very easy to give back.

Good to hear you had a long nap in bed yesterday. While icing can get monotonous, I truly believe it helps so please try to stay on it. Forty to sixty minutes, no less, several times per day. :ice:

Hip pain along with the loss of mobility and flexibility is depressing. As is the shrinking world we exist in as we anxiously wonder how many steps we'll have to climb, or what distance we'll have to walk if we accept an invitation or want to engage in a particular activity. It definitely takes an emotional toll. Thanfully there was a solution and in our pain we clung to glimpses of a brighter future. You're on your way. The worst is over in my opinion. The pain of a deteriorating joint, the pre-op anxiety, those initial first few days after surgery. May it only get better and better from here on out. :)
Have a lovely weekend!
@DesertDiva
 
Words of Wisdom...Stop! First 2 weeks you shouldn't be doing any PT especially anything that causes any pain. Ankle pumps and a few muscle squeezes to keep the blood flowing. Attempting to do 1 horizontal leg lift just to see if you can do it might be about it, not trying to do it to build strength with damaged muscles.
 
Two Week Post Surgery Visit with OS
​
Today was my two-week post surgery visit with my OS. The office called me a few minutes before my appointment saying the x-ray tech was out sick (and they couldn't get a sub) so I would just get a wound check, etc... today.

Wow, it was so good to shower and get out of the house - even if it meant riding on the little "Dial-a-Ride bus. The weather here is sunny with a high of 68 degrees.

The OS took off the bandages (yes, I have a little one for the Mako robotic arm where I guess some temporary pins were). The incision looked fine (OK, as "fine" as an incision can look) and I see him again in four weeks.

I'm totally off all pain meds now and had a glass of wine with my "gourmet" Marie Callendar frozen turkey dinner last night. :loll:I'm able to navigate around the house without aid, but I'm super careful and try to walk intentionally and slowly. I don't have as much swelling with this hip as I don't sit for very long with both feet on the floor, but elevate in the recliner while icing.

The biggest gift of my OS is that he "does" listen. I told him about my gung ho P.T. and he said "hips are not like knees" and if I wanted to I could opt out as he feels I'm doing extremely well. We also discussed the Achilles Tendonitis and he showed me some simple exercises. He also said that the slight numb feeling in my feet while lying down is probably due to ankle swelling (which isn't as significant this time.)

He said I could probably drive at four weeks, but he'd rather I wait until six. I'm feeling the tide has turned and now I'm traveling uphill (as opposed to downhill). I think for living in a relatively small area I lucked out with my OS and treatment plan.

Thank you all for being here for me...
 
So nice to hear things are going well.
Also love your jewelry designs. How lovely!!!!! :loveshwr:
 
He said I could probably drive at four weeks, but he'd rather I wait until six. I'm feeling the tide has turned and now I'm traveling uphill (as opposed to downhill). I think for living in a relatively small area I lucked out with my OS and treatment plan.
It sounds like you did! A good surgeon and a good listener! So glad things are “looking uphill“ for you!
 
Hello @DesertDiva
Thanks for the update!
It does feel encouraging to get out of the house after those first couple of weeks. You feel like your part of the world again, even if it's only to meet with the surgeon. It sounds like you received reassurance that you're doing well at two weeks post op. Great news! I'm betting the Summer of 2020 will be a good one and you'll enjoy many getaways with your RV community.
A peaceful rest of the week to you!
 
Oh my @DesertDiva ! You are doing so well! Soon that Dial a Ride Service wll be history and you will be on the road to some great adventures.
So happy for you, hippie friend.. :loveshwr:
 
Glad it's working out. Isn't it interesting how many OS tell their patients to stop the PT they prescribed when it's brought to their attention that it's doing more harm than good. I wonder how many of them actually know what these PT's are doing to their patients?
 
Wonderful news all the way around. Wine makes any dinner better and special and what a great way to celebrate. So nice that things are looking up and you are on your way back to normal life without pain and many RV adventures.
 
It's My Three Week "Hip-a-Versary"
​
Today marks three weeks since I underwent my second (right) total hip replacement. When I read about individual struggles, sometimes I feel ashamed and embarrassed. My second hip replacement recovery (so far) has progressed much the same as my first in September. The only difference is I had slightly more pain the first time I put weight on my new right hip.

My log leg has resolved and I can get into bed without a leg lifter. I'm actually walking around the house without assistance and every day gets better. The accompanying knee pain (probably due to leg length discrepancy) is less every day.

My only discomfort is at the incision site(s) and it's relatively minor. I do have some stiffness right above both knees, but slides in bed help. My new PT this time around is a little too "esoteric" for me, and I find that I keep putting him off. I'd rather do PT for strengthening after a few weeks if I have any issues.

When I was taken off the I.V. in the hospital the day following surgery, I never had a need for anything except acetaminophen for two weeks after surgery and ibuprofen with hip replacement number two for two weeks. (I had two different residents who prescribed medications.) I got a RX for opioids, but never felt I had sufficient pain to resort to taking them. I don't know if I just have a high tolerance for pain (the tech at the MRI in August said I must after the imaging), or I'm just "lucky" that my OS included pre-surgery options (as well as surgical options) for minimal discomfort.

Whatever the reason, I feel that God/Spirit/Universe gave me a "break." I've been single for most of my life and I don't have any children. However, part of me is still "angry" at the reality of having both hips replaced and the surprise diagnosis of avascular necrosis (AVN). I'm not super athletic, but I do try to keep active and eat a somewhat healthy diet.

At my two week follow-up, my OS said I could drive at four weeks, but he'd rather I'd wait six. Personally knowing that my mental health (cabin fever and isolation) is just as important to my recovery, I'll be careful and venture out at week four. Yes, I'll be careful...

I've started using CicaTape on my first hip emplacement scar. I don't think I'm ashamed of my scar, but I don't want people looking at me and thinking, "she's had a hip replacement."

Through the process of physical therapy, doctor shifting, etc... I feel like I've lost almost a year of my life. I'm thinking at eight weeks (end of February) I'll venture out in my RV to Puerto Penasco (or Rocky Point), Mexico on the Sea of Cortez. As for taking my tow car, I'll do so if someone here can help "hook it up" for me. Someone in Puerto Penasco can help me "un-hook" it and after a month there I'll be good for my three-month 90 degree restriction.

I'm not much of a homebody, and love to live the "nomadic" life about six months out of the year. It's what I've planned and worked for and I'm not going to let hip replacements steal my joy...

What you don't know about me is that I'm somewhat of an accomplished ballroom dancer and a want-to-be Argentine Tango dancer. Several years ago I shattered my right wrist due to a man I first danced with that didn't keep me in his "frame" and spun and subsequently flung me. I hit a table, lost my balance and shattered my right wrist. My orthopedic wrist surgeon encouraged me to dance again - I hope I still can as it is one of my loves. However, hip replacement(s) have changed all that - I hope I'm still "good." If not, I'll be selling my Comme il Faut tango shoes...
 
Last edited:
Amazing!

When I was taken off the I.V. in the hospital the day following surgery, I never had a need for anything except acetaminophen for two weeks after surgery and ibuprofen with hip replacement number two for two weeks.

I can tell from your posts after surgery, your spirit is so much brighter :SUNsmile: than it was pre-surgery.

Sounds like you have great plans. Enjoy the shrimp bay. Do they still call it that? It’s been years since I was there camping.
 
A great update @DesertDiva, with that positive attitude it sounds like you can accomplish anything and you'll be tangoing before you know it.

all the very best
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom