THR DesertDiva's Recovery Thread

I hope things have settled down at home and things are progressing smoothly. Either way, we are here for you.
 
Hello @DesertDiva
Wow...just noticed you're eight days in so far.
Hopefully all is going well with your recovery and with any luck this one is feeling a little better than your first.

@Layla - Thank you so much for the cheery note. :thankyou:

The visiting nurse came and changed my bandage today and said everything looked "fine."
I'm having slightly more stiffness it seems with this hip, but I actually try to get up and walk around every hour or so. I also stood up and made dinner tonight since my friend is here. However, she's leaving Friday morning as she has an upcoming cruise. I'm grateful for the Dial-a-Ride program here, as with a 24 hour notice they will pick me up in a little "short" school bus (it also has a wheel chair lift) and take me anywhere I'd like to go for $1.00 each way - even to the movies.

I'm not very good at "icing" and now have two Chattanooga ColPacs. They don't seem to feel very "cold." I alternate them in the freezer and try to position the pack over the incision, but it almost seems it would feel better just over the top of my thigh (as opposed to the side).

Sometimes I have a little twinge in the first operated hip, but I know it's working hard but still has some healing time to go. The PT I have this time is somewhat "gung-ho" on already doing standing exercises and I did feel some aching and a couple of stabs later after he left.

I'm trying to elevate my leg when I sit as I'm noticing swelling at the ankle and just above the knee. I'm hoping I don't need to wear the thigh-high compression stocking again, but I'm now adept at putting it on with a stocking donner.

My two week visit with the OS is next Tuesday, so hopefully everything is going as scheduled.
 
@DesertDiva, congrats on the surgery.

I can't imagine how you are handling all these on your own. In my books, you and everyone else who has had to deal with this surgery or anything that limits ones independence while living alone is a hero in my books.

Keep keeping on! :hugzz::prayer:
 
Hello and a Happy Wednesday to you :wave:
It sounds like you're doing well. Preparing a meal at one week post op feels like an ambitious undertaking and congrats on accomplishing that. :yes!:

The Dial-a-Ride program sounds like an inexpensive and convenient option if you need to make an appointment or simply need a ride somewhere before you're able to drive again.

The forum Nurse often describes stiffness as a form of pain, and swelling causes stiffness, so if you're able to tolerate icing, please consider giving it a dedicated effort several times per day, at 45-60 mins, no less. It will help with pain and stiffness allowing for more comfortable mobility. I wish you luck with it if you're not a fan. I think you'll quickly notice the benefits.

I can't believe you can get a compression sock on with an assistive device...amazing!

Wishing you a pleasant rest of the week and good luck with your appointment next Tuesday. Let us know how it goes if you care to share. :)
@DesertDiva
 
So glad you are doing quite well especially with cooking and have an easy way to get to places if needed. I have to say that I love the quote at the bottom of your signature.

Have a great day and a peaceful night :sleeep: . Remember to ice :ice: - bags of peas with a cloth over them can work so you can ice both the incision and your thigh.
 
@leejaa makes a good point about using frozen peas if you need to ice multiple areas. If the ice feels better over the top of your thigh instead of the incision, go for it, see if it helps! Ice anywhere you're feeling pain, aches, swelling and/or discomfort. I was never a fan of icing before surgery and now I'm a convert! :ice: :ice: :ice: I'm 6 months today and I still use ice when needed.
 
Hi DesertDiva, You had a tough homecoming and I was very sorry to read about it. However, it sounds like you are getting everything in order and are doing well. The first two weeks are so trying, aren't they?

Try to get more icing in, it makes such a big difference. Sometimes you may not think so, but it is cumulative- in controlling the inflammation in your soft tissues and keeping the swelling to a minimum.

Keep your chin up, you have both hips done and dusted! Congratulations!
 
:hi:
These first weeks are certainly no fun, as you well know.
Would like add my wishes for speedy healing!
All temporary...was my mantra.
Hope today is a good day.:console2:
 
Thinking of you, hoping your pain and swelling have subsided a bit. I went back to ice in a simple ice bag. For some reason none of my freezer pads stayed cold long enough, About the time I would get settled, the cold was gone. Glad you have an affordable mode of transportation. The two week mark seems to be a corner for some of the worst pain. Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
@DesertDiva, congrats on the surgery.
I can't imagine how you are handling all these on your own. In my books, you and everyone else who has had to deal with this surgery or anything that limits ones independence while living alone is a hero in my books.

@bonaventur - Aw, thanks for the encouragement and kind words. It's a little ray of sunshine in my day...:) :-) (:
 
Hello and a Happy Wednesday to you :wave:
It sounds like you're doing well. Preparing a meal at one week post op feels like an ambitious undertaking and congrats on at accomplishing that.

It was a relatively simple meal with pork chops in a cast iron pan, cut up roasted potatoes in the air fryer, and a salad.

The forum Nurse often describes stiffness as a form of pain, and swelling causes stiffness, so if you're able to tolerate icing, please consider giving it a dedicated effort several times per day, at 45-60 mins, no less. It will help with pain and stiffness allowing for more comfortable mobility. I wish you luck with it if you're not a fan. I think you'll quickly notice the benefits.

Icing now as I write this response!

I can't believe you can get a compression sock on with an assistive device...amazing!

Sometimes it takes a couple of tries and a few :censored: words.

Wishing you a pleasant rest of the week and good luck with your appointment next Tuesday. Let us know how it goes if you care to share. :)

Thanks, I will!

@DesertDiva
 
So glad you are doing quite well especially with cooking and have an easy way to get to places if needed. I have to say that I love the quote at the bottom of your signature.

Remember to ice :ice: - bags of peas with a cloth over them can work so you can ice both the incision and your thigh.

Hi @leejaa - Thanks for your cheery words and I think I'll become and "icing convert!"
 
@leejaa makes a good point about using frozen peas if you need to ice multiple areas. If the ice feels better over the top of your thigh instead of the incision, go for it, see if it helps!
I'm 6 months today and I still use ice when needed.

Hi @Elf1 - I think I'll give the frozen peas a try as my friend is taking me for a "grocery run" before she leaves tomorrow. Congratulations on your six month "recovery anniversary!" :dancy:
 
Hi DesertDiva, You had a tough homecoming and I was very sorry to read about it. However, it sounds like you are getting everything in order and are doing well.

Hi @CricketHip - Yes, I'm doing fine and am very thankful. Thank you for your kindness.
.
Keep your chin up, you have both hips done and dusted! Congratulations!

Yes, "onward and upward!" :thankyou:
 
Thinking of you, hoping your pain and swelling have subsided a bit. I went back to ice in a simple ice bag. For some reason none of my freezer pads stayed cold long enough, About the time I would get settled, the cold was gone.

Hi @Fit4Family - Thanks for your kind words. Yes, actually I have a round ice bag with a screw top that I put ice in and a little water that feels the coldest.
 
Second Time Around Pain and PT Questions

I'm not a good patient. I push the envelope because I've been on my own for so long. I have some questions, but I suspect everything is progressing normally. A few minutes ago my friend Cecelia left after being here a week.

Yesterday, we did a "marathon" of going to Wal*Mart (Time and True sweatpants for $7.88 work well as they're easy on and off and it's WINTER), out for lunch, Sprouts Farmer's Market, and Albertson's. We were gone about five hours and even though I rode in the motorized carts in the store I was wiped out when I got home. Cecelia wanted to take her car (Kia Soul), but I felt I would have been more comfortable in my Honda CR-V. I feel like I have enough groceries now if there's ever a disaster (like Netflix's Bird Box). :loll:

Walking While Waiting for Surgery Number Two
Like @RinTinTin my OS insisted own waiting three months in-between surgeries. The pain was pretty severe in my un-operated hip and knee. The leg length discrepancy was significant - even with a lift in my shoe. As a result, my gait became quite unstable with groin, leg, and knee pain. As a result, my knee is somewhat "twisted" and my foot is somewhat turned in.

My current home PT wants me to stretch by doing a modified "lunge" using my walker. The first week he had my up standing doing the PT exercises the previous PT did with my first hip replacement but only after four weeks. I had some "shooting pains" and he decided it was too much and I stopped.

What really freaked me out is that he said I had a lot of tightness and stretched my leg in my bed. He said don't worry I'm not breaking the 90 degree rule, but I found myself nervous and actually holding my breath.

He's a big believer in taping and used KT to tape the knee on the just operated side to attempt to stabilize (and correct) my gait. He also taped my heel. Last night when I went to bed the main area of pain was my knee (throbbing).

I suppose I'm a little nervous if this is too much too soon...

Achilles Tendonitis
Almost immediately after my first surgery I had pain while lying in bed in the area just above my heel. After Googling I found out that the pain is probably from the Achilles tendon. The other PT had me put a small pillow roll so my foot would "drop" on the bed. There's no pain when I'm up and around - just lying in bed. Also, while lying in bed the bottoms of my feet have a slightly numb feeling that immediately goes away after standing.

I started to watch a Mako HIp Replacement video (had to stop) and the woman in surgery was contorted in car crash like position. I'm sure that might have something to do with the pain/numbness. I stopped watching the video when the surgeon was hammering the implant in place. Maybe someday, but not now...

Has anyone had any of these issues/symptoms? Words of wisdom? :shrug::umm::chinstroke:
 
Last edited:
Hi @DesertDiva The PT sounds aggressive; when you say he stretched your leg do you mean he "mobilized" your hip joint (i.e. grabbed your foot and pulled)? That seems a bit much at this point and would make me very nervous but I'm no expert; my OS doesn't allow PT until after week 6. I read with interest about your toe turning in. I'm also toeing in on my bad side. OS says I do it to take the pressure off the most painful part of my hip joint (some people toe OUT for the same reason). Is it your just-operated side that is toeing in even after surgery? I'm impressed with all you are able to do so soon after surgery!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom