THR DesertDiva's Recovery Thread

You sound wonderful as does your plan for a trip to Mexico:driver:. You have such an awesome attitude, I am sure you will be dancing again once you finish healing.
 
My orthopedic wrist surgeon encouraged me to dance again - I hope I still can as it is one of my loves. However, hip replacement(s) have changed all that - I hope I'm still "good."
Glad to hear you're doing so well and are out of that dark place between hip ops. You're a strong independent woman and I'm happy to see you spreading your wings again. I believe another member, @Going4fun, is also an avid dancer. Maybe they can chime in and tell you about their post hip dancing experience. Good luck! :egypdance:
 
What you don't know about me is that I'm somewhat of an accomplished ballroom dancer and a want-to-be Argentine Tango dancer. My orthopedic wrist surgeon encouraged me to dance again - I hope I still can as it is one of my loves.

Wonderful report @DesertDiva while I can't claim "accomplished" my wife and I were genuinely enjoying learning ballroom dance before I just could't do it anymore. It's something I hope we can resume soon. I hope it works for you as well and that all of your future dance partners at least keep you safe.
 
@DesertDiva dancing is certainly a reasonable goal. In the time before my surgery, I read untold numbers of stories from people who returned to the dance floor. What I got from several surgeons is that dancing isn't even considered a stretch. Running is the forbidden zone for a lot of surgeons, but increasingly that's not the case either.

I was at a tap dance class last weekend ... having a blast ... did not think about my hip at all ... I'm hoping to go out swing dancing tomorrow night.

I think returning to Tango is quite doable ... just pay attention to your body ... try it out at some point ... check in with your surgeon ... see how you feel afterwards ... adjust ...

Good luck!
 
Hi @DesertDiva
I hope you're having a good week and progressing well in your recovery.
In an effort to insure your thoughtful messages to other members are read in their entirety, it would be best if you used the quote feature as explained below.
This should guarantee your full response is not overlooked.
Your cooperation is appreciated. We thank you in advance.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're getting closer to joining your RV group for some fun R&R.
Can't believe it's been a month already. Hoping your week has been good so far.
Happy Thursday!
@DesertDiva
 
One month already!! Would love to hear about your continued progress..
The last you posted sounded very positive.
 
Birthday Update...
​
I've been MIA lately because I was a little embarrassed about replying to comments and using the quote feature (which apparently I was doing wrong). I've also been in a bit of a funk lately as I've read about the sad loss of more than one person. My oldest brother in Indianapolis isn't doing well, and his illness has been reclassified as stage four. There will be no happy ending to his struggle in this case, and time is not on his side.

This had made it difficult to focus on my recovery from my two hip replacements, which still at times still seem somewhat surreal to me.

I saw my OS for my six week check last Tuesday which included x-rays of both hip replacements. When you get x-rays, they position you in such a way that makes you wonder if you're going to blow a hip due to the manipulations. He said everything looked fine, and that I could fly to Indianapolis if I needed to do so. I see him again on March 27th.

One issue of angst for me is that after my first hip surgery I seem to have developed heel (retrocalcaneal) bursitis on the left side. I never had this before, and it appeared immediately after I went home from the hospital. My heel doesn't hurt when I'm standing, only when putting pressure on it lying in bed. The first PT told me to use a small pillow to "drop" my heel, but after awhile it feels numb. The biggest help is icing, but sometimes the pain wakes me up in the middle of the night (I'm still sleeping on my back). The new PT (with hip [HASH=151]#2)[/HASH] has used KT to tape it a couple of time, but I don't see a big improvement. Strangely, I think this may have happened in the hospital when after surgery they put the mechanical booties on my feet to move them around to prevent blood clots. I had to tell the nurse more than once that they were too tight and uncomfortable.

I'm not a PT so I don't know what's appropriate, but I'm not liking the one assigned after my second hip replacement. He suffered a hip fracture within the last year, and he's having me do "exercises" that are beyond my comfort level. The other day he had a band and was having me move each leg (hip) outward. He's also commenting on when I do certain exercises (that I've never seen from my last PT) that it's working because he can see me "trembling."

As a result I've having more groin area pain, as well as some lower back pain. Also, I have some incision area discomfort and a feeling of pulling. I find I do push the envelope on excursions and will go out for 4-5 hours at a time while standing and walking around. It's been six weeks now, and I've asked my OS if it's OK to discontinue and he said yes. He said if I'm having issues up the road he'll give me a referral. I called the Home Health Care and said I wanted to stop. I think this particular is having me do things that cause more pain. He's sort of "gung ho" on building up the surrounding muscles, but I feel that will come in time.

I'm feeling overwhelmed, and feel like I need to stop. When I questioned my OS, he said: "Hips aren't knees" (meaning the level of PT that is needed) and you seem to be doing extremely well. He does cheer me on and makes me feel like I'm the poster child of hip replacements.

Sometimes, I worry if I'll ever be the same again - happy and pain free...
 
Happy birthday!

I am so sorry to hear about your oldest brother. I am sure he will be grateful to see you. Glad you are cleared to fly.

I had read on Bonesmart about PT and if it hurts do not do it. It sounds like you are progressing well enough on your own.

You are only 6 weeks out, so plenty time for improvements.
 
Happy belated birthday @DesertDiva :flwrysmile:
I'm very sorry about your brother's illness.:sad:
Prayers for him ...and you.

I had heel pain while lying in bed also for the first months though it wasn't diagnosed as heel bursitis, it sounds very similar to yours as it was only when lying down and the back sleeping was not helpful. I had a swath of sheepskin that I folded higher on one side to fit under my ankle and it really relieves friction too. I know that the R.I.C.E protocol is usually recommended for heel bursitis (my mother suffers with this) and she tries to wear athletic shoes when possible since they have the notch cut out on the back for her achilles which keeps from aggravating it.
Mine was better when I rested in my recliner or in bed with my 'sheepy' and did subside once i was comfortable getting back to my side.
I'm so happy you stopped the PT as those exercises with the bands are most certainly causing you the unneccessary groin pain. Your OS sounds great, and it's nice he is not pushing you to continue.
Lots of healing still happening so try to rest more as you do seem to have jumped back into alot of activity quickly. I was also guilty of this, mostly as I was back to work too early...so try to chill when possible.:ice:
You are going to get there.:ok:
 
Hello @DesertDiva
I'm sorry to read the news in regard to your brother. Recovery can be a struggle on it's own and I'm sure all feels magnified given the news you've shared. It's good you've been cleared to fly to Indianapolis to spend time visiting with him. Hopefully your schedule allows for you to make the trip soon.

With any luck, time and the suggestions you received from your PT bring you speedy relief from the bursitis in your heel. I'm dealing with a similar situation so I understand firsthand the discomfort it can cause.

It seems the exercises your current PT prescribed are doing more harm than good. Thankfully you received a nod from your surgeon that it's okay to step away. I hope your pain eases and you're once again able to engage in and enjoy all that you love.

Happy Sunday...Wishing you a peaceful week!
 
I am sorry about your brother but now at least you can fly up as needed. Sounds like you are doing pretty well if you are up and about 5-6 hours at a time when you wish. Also glad you got rid of the PT - who ever wants to be told post op that they are doing good because the leg is trembling. Surgery is enough trauma, no more needed from PT>

Take care of yourself and have a peaceful day
 
Happy Belated Birthday! So sorry to hear about your brother, hope you get to spend time with him. I have to agree that it's a good thing you kicked that PT to the curb. I'd show him tremble! :heehee: Sounds like you're doing pretty good overall.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope both hips are doing well and you’re feeling stronger week by week. Spring / Summer 2020
should be good. :)
Happy March to you!
@DesertDiva
 
March 1st Update
​
First of all, thanks to @Layla for wishing me a Happy Two Month Anniversary.

Stopping Physical Therapy
A couple of weeks ago I completely stopped Home Physical Therapy. The P.T. was nice enough, but he had me doing exercises/stretches that put me in more pain afterwards. I "do" want to improve as completely and quickly as I can, but I would have pain afterwards. Now, I'm just doing normal walking, etc... and it's so much better. I "did" ask my OS beforehand at my last check and he said it was "fine." He added that if I have any need in the future that he would refer me.

Big Toe Nail Removal
After my first hip replacement (left) at the end of September, I noticed somehow my right big toe was damaged. (former post) I asked my primary care doctor about it, but he dismissed it and said it would resolve on it's own. I have no idea how the toe was injured. I finally went to a podiatrist who said since it was damaged it should be removed due to infection risk and having the new nail grow in properly. It's a challenge doing the aftercare as I'm still at the 90 degree hip precaution, but hey what do you do?

Left Heel Retrocalcaneal Bursitis
My left heel pain while sleeping has slowly improved as I experience less rigidity (i.e. sleeping with a wedge between my legs on my back). I still sleep on my back, but removing the wedge has allowed me to find a comfortable position as I sleep.

Little Aches and Pains
I find that after sitting in a chair for awhile I feel "stiff" and moving/walking helps. Sometimes I feel slight pain at the top of the incision on both hips. I had my hair colored and cut the other day, and sitting for almost three hours almost did me in. I try not to worry about little discomforts as I'm sure that it's all somewhat normal.

Someday
I'm hoping that someday I'll get up to walk and it will all feel completely "normal" again. What I'm trying to say is that I immediately won't think I've had two hip replacements. Will that ever happen again?
 
Good update, nice call on quitting the PT and listening to your body. If it hurts, don't do it! :thumb:

Overall you seem to be moving right along, slow and steady. I think most of us have the stiff feeling when getting up after sitting but thinking part of that is just having lived life. We just keep doing what we can to stay as limber and active as possible.

I do believe the day will come where you won't immediately think of your hip replacements. While I only have the one, knock wood, mine pretty much feels like a part of me. It does get better, just takes time and patience.
 
You’re welcome for the anniversary wishes. I hope it was a good one.
It‘s encouraging to read you stopped the PT exercising for now, with a nod from your surgeon, and you’re feeling less pain because of it. :yes!: May it only get better.

Hopefully the toenail removal isn’t excruciatingly painful. It sounds as though it would be.
I imagine the necessary care is a challenge while your range of motion and flexibility slowly increase as you continue healing.

I believe the minor aches and pains you experience along with stiffness after sitting for a length of time is normal. I recall both and even attribute some of the stiffness upon initially rising as a result of an aging body. But hey...it’s better than the alternative so I’ll take it!

I had a hard time grasping that a time would ever come that I wasn’t thinking about my hip 24/7. Trust me, it happens. I never go an entire day without any thought of it, but there are an ever increasing number of hours where THR doesn’t cross my mind. So much that at times, after the fact, I’ll catch myself thinking (maybe I shouldn’t have just done that)
It will happen for you also.

Have a great week!
@DesertDiva
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom