THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...300! I think it's great that you are bowling with you son. What a difference compared to last year. It's so great that you are pain free, and getting things done. I bet you have more energy, too. Your husband and son must be very pleased.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, soul satisfying is the perfect way to describe the homemaking. It can indeed be an art form.

I would say you definitely traded up with your husband. :yes: Those boyfriends in your early years didn't deserve you.

I agree with you that a smaller house is plenty. Hopefully your husband will come around to your way of thinking before he retires. I think he will....the wife is almost always right. :snork:
 
@Readysetgo, thank you. :) Yeah, The Boy and I had fun. I think he's a handsome kiddo myself. He's at that point where he's growing and changing so much that I often find myself brought up short at the differences in him. We attended his league bowling banquet yesterday evening and they announced an adult/kid team summer league. He asked if I'd bowl with him. I am considering it. :) We probably wouldn't win any trophies, but it would be fun and I'm honored that he asked me.
I hope you and your daughter have a fabulous time next week!
Thanks for the congrats on my small step forward (loved the pun!) :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! I do have more energy. It is amazing to realize just how draining that constant pain is. I mean, we logically know it is, but to really see and feel the difference is incredible.
I think my family is very happy. I think it must have been wearing for them having a wife and mother who just couldn't live her best life.

@Hipster Girl, my happiest times have been related to making whatever house we were in, in whatever state or country we found ourselves, into a home. That honestly contributed a lot to me deciding to go into interior design. I'd had a lot of practical experience at it. :)
Thank you for the kind words re: my past boyfriends. I blame myself completely. I was selling myself short, plain and simple. I told myself I was being 'loving and supportive'. Nope...I was just settling.
I'm sure my husband and I can come up with a compromise when we search for our 'forever home'. Our financial situation will dictate to that, of course. I don't think my husband quite grasps how different our lives will be on the civilian side. He will get a percentage of his base pay, which is nothing to sneeze at, but the military provides its members a lot of built in extras that will, unfortunately, go away when he retires and we will be responsible for providing that for ourselves. We'll be just fine, but it will be an adjustment. That is why I've already told him I want to wait a good year before we commit to buying a home. That way, we can see what our changed financial status, civilian jobs, etc, will allow us. That's a bit in the future though, so I try not to stress unduly. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Wow! I didn't know you were an interior designer. How cool! I would love to see some photos of your work. You look like such an artistic person...no wonder. I think it's very touching that your son asked you to be his bowling partner. It just shows how much he enjoys bowling with you. What a compliment! I'm so glad that you are doing so well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! yes, I got my degree in interior design just before my 40th birthday. It had taken me up until I was about 35 to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. :)
I was happy to have my son ask me to bowl with him. It seems these years between 15 and 18 fly by in the blink of an eye. I want to build as many memories as possible and am glad my shiny new hips can help me with that. :)
 
@DeepBreath your plan to wait a year before committing to buying a home after your husband retires is a very sensible approach. Like you said, it will be an adjustment and taking a year to adjust to the transition is wise planning.

That is so sweet of your son to ask you to bowl with him! I would take advantage of every second. They grow up so fast...
 
@DeepBreath
How wise that you plan to wait a year before buying a house after retirement. From experience, I can tell you it is a little difficult to decide where you will be financially after retirement; that's one reason I accepted a .25 (quarter time) job immediately after retirement when it was offered. Not sure what I'll do after this contract expires but not really concerned because I know we'll make it without any job & im not sure I liked being tied down that much. We were fortunate to be able to pay off our modest small home before retirement. It makes a big difference.
Enjoy your creative side!
 
@Hipster Girl, yes, I've heard enough horror stories from retirees to heed the warning. The last thing we need is to get in over our heads!
Oh, it's so true that they grow up way too fast. It seemed like my daughter was grown and gone in the blink of an eye. I know it will feel the same with my son.

@SweetPea69, the .25 job sounds like a great idea. Both my husband and I plan to work, but neither of us has any real idea about what the civilian job market is like. I like to tread carefully, especially when it comes to finances.
How wonderful that you paid off your home prior to retirment! I envy that. We will be coming into home ownership late in the game...mid 50's. That's another reason I want to buy just a modest home. I have no desire to stare a 30 year mortgage in the face the rest of my life.
I am looking forward to getting to pursue my creative side more. I'm hoping to work with either a furniture company as an in house design consultant or a realty company as a stager. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! you are so right. The difference between last year and now is incredible. :)
I added a few Pilates exercises to my regular ones today, including the bent leg 100. I modified as needed. I feel great right now, but we know how that goes. :wink: We'll see how I feel over the next few days.
 
@DeepBreath ! I forgot to tell you that I love your photo! You look exactly how I had pictured you. It's like I've known you forever.
:roseshwr:
 
@DeepBreath that is so cool about having gone back to school and getting your degree in interior design. I think your ideas of working as an in house design consultant or stager sound so fun and interesting. I can tell from your posts you have a very creative side and this sounds like the perfect type of job for you.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I love home staging. It's fantastic. I'm glad that you have been able to add the Pilates. I did some cardio at the gym yesterday. It was only 15 mins. but I'm still sore. It's mild, though.

I think you are really wise to just want a modest home. I've been so happy with mine. People always used to ask me if I was going to add on...nope.
 
@CricketHip, aww thank you, friend! You are such a sweetie. I hope things are going good for you. :)

@Hipster Girl, I am excited to be able to really use my education again. I have done some home staging for friends and really enjoyed it. I love how design can help completely transform a room. It truly affects one's mood. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! So far, so good re: the Pilates. I have felt really energized and 'loose' since doing my exercises yesterday. I think I'll just keep doing these few exercises for several days and expand from there, seeing how it goes.
Wonderful about the cardio! That can be intense, so the soreness is expected. I'm glad it's mild. You are so good about listening to your body.
That's interesting that people ask you about adding on. I personally don't understand the thought process behind that, but I guess it's pretty indicative of the 'American way' - bigger = better. I absolutely disagree.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I'm so glad to hear that you feel loose since doing the Pilates exercises. That's what I was talking about....the body starts to "fall" open when it's ready. It can feel like a real jump in improvement. I'm going to keep adding Pilates gradually, too. It's so good for muscle tone.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! You were definitely right about the 'falling open'. I was lying in bed the other evening reading and had my knees bent and I was very relaxed. All of a sudden I noticed that my legs were just kind of falling open of their own volition. It was a pleasant surprise.
I am very happy that I am tolerating the Pilates exercises. I decided to do an every other day thing for now. I do my regular exercises every day and then add the Pilates on alternating days. You are right that it is such a great workout for toning. :)
I made an Asian tuna salad for lunch today and had lettuce wraps. My, was that good! The landscaping people had just mowed and since our temps are down today I had the windows open. The breeze blowing in that fabulous fresh cut grass scent was just delightful. :)
I hope my hippie buddies are having a terrific day! :SUNsmile:
 
Yum @DeepBreath that Asian tuna salad sounds wonderful!

That is so exciting about the Pilates exercises helping so much. Where did you find the exercises that you are doing? I'd be interested in giving them a try, especially since they are helping so much with flexibility.

There is nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass. I bet that was so pleasant with the windows open. :)

Hope you are having a great day!
 
@Hipster Girl, the tuna salad was yummy! I went to my PCM for a blood pressure check at the beginning of the month and discovered I had gained a few pounds. :sad: So, I have upped my water intake and adjusted my eating. Luckily, I love salads. :)
The Pilates I do is Winsor Pilates, taught by Mari Winsor. You can find her videos on YouTube. In the past I have simply done her 20 Minute Workout and then some sort of cardio and a bit of free weight work to round out my fitness routine. Right now, I am doing five of the exercises from the video:
The Hundred - I do this with my knees bent and feet on the floor. I lift my head and upper body and do the pumping motion. It's good to watch the video from start to finish so you familiarize yourself with the exercises and techniques, such as breathing/body placement/modifications, etc.
The Single Leg Circle - I modify this slightly by being careful to do it slowly and to not cross over midline too much. I only do 3 in each direction on each leg.
I do three of the Leg Kick Series (Side Kicks, Bicycles, and Big Scissors) I do these slowly and carefully. The Bicycle on my newest op leg is a little challenging as I feel a definite pull when I do them. I just take it very slowly and only do 3 in each direction with each leg. I figure as my body becomes more adapted to doing these exercises again I can slowly up the number and adjust the modifications I'm using.
I've actually only done these a couple of times now. The greater flexibility seems to have come about with time and patience. :)
It is a gorgeous spring day here. 75 degrees with a slight breeze. Perfect!
I hope your day is wonderful as well. :SUNsmile:
 
@DeepBreath So glad you had such beautiful weather today! We had a mild day here too but rain off and on. I need to get the air conditioning fixed but have been trying to wait until it dries out some so the repairman doesn't have to traipse through the mud to get to our outside unit.

Thank you so much for the info on the Pilates! The name Mari Winsor sounds very familiar - I'm pretty sure you mentioned her before but that was back when I was working and had a million things going on, and I had completely forgotten about looking up her videos. You are too sweet to type those exercises out. I am going to give them a try and will report back. They sound like exactly what I need!
:flwrysmile:
 
@Hipster Girl, you're correct. I mentioned Mari Winsor a couple of months ago. I think you'd enjoy her videos. She has a very calm demeanor that is also very encouraging. I've done Pilates for over 10 years and it's honestly done more for my fitness than any other workout I've tried. I tend to gain weight in my hips, rear, and thighs. I found I could really reshape those areas with Pilates when nothing else helped much. I swear by it. :)
Ugh about the mud! I know our yard was waterlogged a week or so ago. I had to keep a towel by the door to wipe Gracie's paws because it was such a mess out there!
I hope you can get your A/C fixed soon. I do not do well without A/C. :wink:
 
@DeepBreath
Hopefully you can find a creative outlet for your part-time post retirement job! Surely in the areas you mention there will be something lucrative for you! I was fortunate to go back to work as a .25 within 3 weeks of when I retired. I'm sure it helped me make the transition to retirement because I was unsure about adjusting to it big still want to work some, but would rather work sporadically so I'm not tied down every week. I'm not sure What may happen so will try to remain flexible. I know I want to spend more time creating scarves & shawls, as well as other wearable art as soon as I can stand more. So I appreciate your creative side too!
Also, I hope you can manage a 15 year mortgage & again support your buying a smaller home if you can talk your husband into it. It makes it difficult I'm sure when you become a homeowner later in life.
Hope you are feeling better today!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom