Guest viewing is limited

THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL @DeepBreath yes, that would be quite the news story! :snork:

Yay for finally being able to lay on your side! That is very encouraging - I guess your hips finally decided it was time. It's amazing to me when these "suddenlies" happen. I find it very exciting!

I'm glad you have a full pantry and fridge. I do a bulk shop about once a month and I love that feeling too. I will have to look for that cooking show. I like Valerie Bertinelli too but had no idea she even had a cooking show.:)
 
@DeepBreath - Sure sounds like you had a wonderful and productive day! I also like that feeling of a full and happy pantry and fridge. And having all the laundry DONE!

So exciting that you can sleep on your side now! (A big thank you to Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show. :yay: )

May you hit more milestone improvements soon!
 
@DeepBreath wonderful news that you can now lie on your side.Your nights are going to be so much more comfortable from now on.I still sleep with a pillow between my legs when I sleep on my side as I find it softer on the knees.
 
@Hipster Girl, I like the 'suddenlies' as well. They give such a great boost to my mood. :)
I didn't know Valerie Bertinelli had a cooking show either until a few weeks ago. From what I gather, she's done 2 seasons. The first had 10 episodes and the second one had 13. They show them on Sunday mornings here and then randomly throughout the week. She's adorable and seems so down to earth.

@Cynthia777, it's really something regarding the side sleeping. I am not a back sleeper at all, but i have gotten so used to it that I'm finding it hard to switch to my side. I'll get the hang of it again, but I think it's funny that this is challenging for me. LOL!

@Readysetgo, thank you! :) I love having the laundry and shopping done as well. Of course, about 10 minutes after the last laundry item is put away something is dirty again, but for those 10 minutes....Bliss! :heehee:

@Kim22, I think that's what I need to get used to doing, is using a pillow between my legs when side sleeping. Although my restrictions have long been lifted, I feel uneasy just flopping over on my side and going to sleep.
It does feel good to be able to enjoy another position when lying in bed though. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, That's great that you're all stocked up on food. That's such a good feeling. It sounds like you have been really productive. I love Valerie Bertinelli, too. I've never seen her show. It's great to hear that she's still on television.
 
@DeepBreath
I've always been a stomach sleeper, but I haven't slept that way since before surgery. I'm not even sure why I don't, but I guess I've gotten used to sleeping on my side. Strange how our minds can become reacclimated to just about anything.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I think Valerie Bertinelli started doing her cooking show around the time Hot in Cleveland ended. She is a cutie. I like her recipes and have tried a couple. They're full of flavor and yet she tries to cut back on unnecessary fats. She's big on citrus (lemons in particular) and Italian herbs for flavoring...which is right up my alley. :)

@Cynthia777, you're right about the body's ability to acclimate to changes. Thank goodness. :)


This past week was The Boy's spring break. We had some nice chill time with a lunch and bowling outing, as well as dinner at a nearby bistro we'd been wanting to try out. I was expecting a hometown diner atmosphere, but it was actually quite chic with an impressive menu and really good food.
I bowled for the first time in years. I still stink at it, but it sure was fun. My son and I had a lot of laughs over our less than stellar bowling 'prowess'. :snork:
I had a bit of a breakthough this week. I was actually able to clip the toenails on my first op side. I'm still not able to just bend straight down from a sitting position and do it. I leaned over to the left and was able to reach down and clip them. I was also able to clip the big toenail and the one next to it on my right side, but felt uncomfortable bending any farther since I had to hook my right foot behind my left calf, bend over, and clip that way.
The good news is that my hips felt fine while doing that. I went oh-so-slowly so as to be cautious, but they felt solid. Interestingly enough, my knees felt tight as I was maneuvering to clip the nails. I sure hope I don't end up having to have knees replaced at some point.
I think my remaining challenge is to still work on flexibility, which is no surprise. That's always been an issue for me. Also, continuing to work on my weight is a must because honestly, my gut gets in the way.
I'm pleased though. At least I can clip 7 of my toenails. It's better than it was a month ago. :)
I hope my hippie buddies had a good week. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I'm so glad that you are doing well. Congratulations on going bowling and clipping seven of your toenails. You are really healing and improving. Inch by inch...

I always struggled with flexibility, too. I think once more time passes, and you find a comfortable exercise routine, that will just happen. Now that I'm able to do the Bikram yoga, I am amazed at the breakthroughs that come in quick spurts. I'm sure the same will happen for you. Look at all that you are doing already! I bet your son is really happy that you can do things together, and that you are out of pain. It's really wonderful. Carry on...
 
@DeepBreath that is great news on clipping your toenails! That is a milestone for sure. I have only been able to clip the two little nails so far. The flexibility is an issue for me too. I might have to try the method you mentioned of hooking the foot behind my calf and see if I have better luck that way. I can imagine how excited you were when you were able to clip your nails - you are so right how it is the little things... I'm excited you had this breakthrough!

I'm glad you had such a fun time with your son for Spring Break! The bowling sounds like a blast and really, that is an amazing accomplishment too because you have to bend to release the ball. It sounds like you two had a great time and lots of laughs and mother-son bonding time. Those are the moments to cherish. :yes:
 
@Cynthia777, the thing is, friend...the 66 was my high score. My low score was 47. I was actually just thrilled that I didn't release the ball and have it go flying behind me, or fling it into another person's lane. :rotfl:

@Hipster Girl, yes, I'm happy that I was able to do the clipping I accomplished. It took me a while because I was moving very slowly and cautiously. They're not perfectly clipped either, but good enough. Just reaching those milestones is a boost. :) And hey, two toenails is better than what you were previously doing, right? One day we'll be pedicuring wild women. :wink:
I did have a great time with my son. I'm holding these moments close because, as you know, they go so quickly...
My bowling approach felt SO much better that it ever has. By the middle of the second game I felt pretty loose and relaxed. That was nice! :)
 
That is too funny @DeepBreath! Yes, it's good that the ball went straight in front of you and not into someone else's lane - I can picture that now! :rofsign:

Seriously though, I'm so impressed with how well your hips held up because there can be some deep bending involved with bowling when you release the ball. I love to bowl - I only do it very rarely but I do enjoy it and was wondering if I would be able to do it again. Your post is very encouraging. And while I did have to chuckle that 66 was your high score, it's because my bowling is on par with that and I can soooo relate:heehee:

You are so right how these moments go by very quickly and I'm so happy you are able to enjoy these special times with your son. They are the stuff that warm memories are made of and I'm sure your son treasures these times as much as you do. It sounds like you two have a very close, wonderful relationship. :yes:
 
@Hipster Girl, the funny thing is that my husband is an excellent bowler with quite a few league sanctioned 300's under his belt. He long ago gave up coaching me when I told him I was just in it for the fun and he'd give himself a headache trying to make a bowling champ out of me. :heehee:
@Cynthia777, LOL!
 
@DeepBreath - I'm glad you had fun bowling, no matter what your score! I haven't bowled in years and shudder to think what my bowling score would be. (Although I can play a mean game of skee ball in the arcade...)

So wonderful that you had a fun stay-cation with The Boy. Ahem - after seeing that handsome photo you posted, I believe it's time to refer to him as "The Young Man"! He reminds me of one of those hunky football players in the TV show "Friday Night Lights". I'm not a huge football fan but I did like that show. So did my husband.

Congrats on clipping your toe nails! What a wonderful feat! (pun intended.)

I'm looking forward to my daughter's spring break next week. Planning little fun stay-cationy things to do, including, of course, going out to lunch. :)

Hope you're having a great day and that more milestones come tumbling your way soon! :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom