THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DeepBreath , Thank you for your post with the beautiful picture. You look young. I obviously don't have to post one because it's my avatar :).

Bavaria is a beautiful area of Germany, indeed. Actually, I was brought up in Munich. I miss the Alps were I went mountain and hill walking as a child. The Rhein-Main area, on the other hand has its rivers. You can go cycling and jogging along the rivers which we do. Frankfurt is also the location for the European Ironman which qualifies athletes for the major Ironman - Hawaii.

I'm relieved to hear that my artificial hip will probably last longer than me - in the pre-op talks surgeons said 25-30 years, but the most recent ones probably last a lot longer. I was scared at the idea of a revision in my 80s because a general anaesthetic is risky at an advanced age, but even if I did need one, it's always possible to have the spinal with sedation - this is another relief (actually opted for that form of anaesthetic).

My hip is definitely the proverbial "forgotten hip" and my real (right) hip will hopefully hold out at least until I retire. It's healthy and fit for the time being.

By the way, it occurred to me that I might have asked you about the whereabouts of your daughter in Germany in another post. My short-term memory is lacking - I must work on that one.

Have a nice weekend - Constanze
 
Hi @DeepBreath thanks for posting the photo - I love seeing what my online friends look like. I am going to have to learn how to post a pic. You have such pretty skin - it positively glows! I'm sure most of that is because you are such a good person and it literally shines through on the outside. :yes:

Do you also have a specific skin care regimen?
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you for the kind words. :) I took about 10 pictures trying to get one where I looked semi-normal. I don't know how the young gals who post tons of selfies do it. I think it would be exhausting. :)
Ooh, I like your suggestion of using up some of the ham in mac and cheese. I have a M&C recipe that uses gruyere and it is the bomb! I'll have to make that and add some of the ham.
The ab work is what I'm really missing from not doing Pilates. I feel like I get a fair amount of leg work with my walking and basic exercises, but my mid section really needs toning. You mentioned doing a bent leg 100, I think? How did that work for you?

@Miss Muffet, oh man, carbonara....YUM! So many good ideas for using up the leftovers. Thank you!
Thanks also for the sweet compliment. :) I also wonder what my BS buddies look like. I have mental pictures of those who don't have their photo as the avatar and often wonder how accurate I am.
I hope you're doing well. :)

@Constanze, the Rein-Main area is fantastic. We took a Rein River cruise at one point and really enjoyed it. It was one of those times I kept having to pinch myself because I couldn't believe I was actually there and getting to do such wonderful things. :)
I too hope that my hips last me for the rest of my life. I can't imagine having to go through a revision at an advanced age. Fingers crossed!
I'm so glad that your hip is 'forgotten' as you near one year. That is fabulous and really the goal, isn't it? :)
No worries about asking about my daughter. My short term memory is horrible. I like to blame it on the surgeries. :wink:
I hope your weekend is lovely!

@Hipster Girl, thank you so much for the sweet words. That was so nice. :) I think my skin looks okay in this photo because the lighting was just right (low...LOL) and I had makeup on because we'd just gone out for Valentines Day.
I actually did not have a specific skin care regimen at that point. I'd just wash it with my body soap when I showered and then put on some co q 10 moisturizer. About once a week I'd use Olay Regenerist microdermabrasion and mini peel system.
Since then...starting about the second week in March...my skin has gone insane. I am in perimenopause and have skipped several 'cycles' now. All of a sudden, my skin is unbelievably oily and pimple prone. I had been using a toner that dried up the oil for a few hours, but then realized it was kicking my sebum production into overdrive, basically exacerbating the problem. I got really concerned about the pimples because I wasn't sure if the bacteria (P. Acnes) could affect my implants, so I ordered an adult acne salicylic acid cleanser online and have been using it for about a week now. It seems to be working, but I now need to find a good, light moisturizer as the cleanser is a bit drying. You know me, I can always find something to worry about. :wink:
Sorry for the novel about my skin when you just asked a very simple question! :heehee:

I hope you all have a terrific weekend, hippie buddies! :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath I can totally relate to the skin going wild during perimenipause. I found these little packets of rice paper to be the most amazing product. It looks like a little tissue packet and you take one out and dab it over the oily areas - for me that is mostly the forehead. It's an amazing little product. I never thought about the acne bacteria affecting the implants. Gosh, I sure hope that does not happen...
 
@DeepBreath Hi there, just catching up on your thread.Congratulations on your 6 month and 4 month updates.Fantastic news on your first one being a forgotten hip and I am sure your second one will enjoy the same status very soon.It seems like it takes about 6 months to really feel the benefit of the implant so you haven't long to wait.Of course full recovery takes up to a year so you will carry on seeing improvement with your ROM as time goes on.I was also impressed by the man with the 68 year old hip replacement let's hope ours last just as long ! It seems like yesterday since September when we had the surgery.
 
@DeepBreath - So fun to see your very pretty selfie pic in Margaritaville!! I actually imagined you were blue eyed with blonde wavy hair! But you are as lovely as I imagined....

So glad your hips are feeling 'peaceful' again. Nice to let go of the PT and know it's what's right for you at this time. I'm sticking with the PT because it feels good for now. After next week I'll start outpatient PT again. But I am going to be very careful about monitoring how it affects me after reading about your experience.

We had ham also this Easter. Husband brought home an 8 pounder! So we are hamming it up a lot as well these days with the leftovers. I did freeze a lot of it. Definitely going to put in mac'n'cheese recipe. That m&c recipe of yours with gruyere sounds delish. I love gruyere. I use it to make cheesy biscuits but have never tried it in m&c. Will do some googling on that... May also try a ham salad. Never made that before.

Have a fun weekend! :flwrysmile::martini:

We might get SNOW on Sunday! :snow dig:
 
@Miss Muffet oh my gosh !! Ham with broad beans and parsley sauce!! That takes me back to the UK! My husband loves that! My MIL used to cook the beans in the water she had boiled the ham in. Here most people don't even know what broad beans are, let alone put parsley sauce on them You can't buy them in the stores in my area, but we can buy the seeds, so we grow them in the garden.

@DeepBreath what a lovely photo! Yes I've always wondered what people look like too!
 
Hi @DeepBreath, That recipe for mac and cheese sounds delicious. Yes, I did the hundred with bent knees, and the feet flat on the floor. I think you could do a lot of the ab work in Pilates. I just tried adding an exercise each day to my yoga. I'm so glad to hear that what you're doing now is working for you. I think our bodies really relax and heal when they know that we will listen to them and not get reinjured.
 
@Hipster Girl, please don't worry. It concerned me enough that I contacted my OS's nurse (that poor woman is a saint). She relayed my concerns to him and came back with the following answer from him:
'Unlikely. Usually P Acnes infects total shoulder, not hips or knees. It is also typically a direct inoculation at the time of surgery that usually presents late (couple years) because it is a difficult organism to culture and is slow growing'
I am something of a germaphobe, so I know I worry needlessly about things, especially since the surgery. I'm sorry if I caused anxiety. :console2:
 
@Kim22, thank you! :) The time since September has seemed to fly by. It's amazing. You are so right about that six month mark. I look forward to seeing how things progress to one year and beyond.
Do you still see differences/improvements with your first hip?
Thank you for popping by my thread. :)

@Readysetgo, LOL, I love the 'hamming it up' comment. Whew...those big old hunks of ham generate a lot of meat. As I was slicing ours on Sunday I kept thinking, "Holy cow, when is this thing going to end?" :)
I really did love my out patient PT. It wasn't until they started a lot of the resistance exercises and adding them in very quickly that I had a problem. I allowed it to go on too long as well. There is usually some sensation as you start unfamiliar exercises and I just thought it would fade with time. It wasn't until it was well on its way to becoming a real problem that I realized I needed to stop. Like so many have said before, it's just important to listen to your body.
Isn't it funny how we picture people? You are actually correct about my eyes. They look quite dark in the picture, but they are grey/blue.
Oh my goodness about the snow! This weather has been crazy. We had some chilly but sunny days lately, then 80's the past two days and it's supposed to dip into the 60's, maybe 50's this weekend and early next week.
I went out to my car today and it was absolutely covered in pollen. Strange spring weather! :)

@Simplieme, the ham with broad beans and parsley sauce does sound incredible. YUM! I wish my family liked beans more. I'm crazy about them.
I love your avatar. Anything to do with beaches, water, etc is always so beautiful to me. And there you are looking like the perfect beach bunny. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! I think I might try the 100 as you described it. I think you are absolutely correct about our bodies healing if they're relaxed and allowed to do their own thing.
Have a terrific weekend! :)
 
Thanks for the answer from your OS @DeepBreath. Oh no, you didn't cause anxiety, please don't worry about that. I've had a few inquiries for my OS about things too. I remember when I had my adjustable bed delivered before my surgeries, there was a sticker on the side that had a metal warning for people with implants - something about magnetic fields. It totally freaked me out because the bed sale was final and not returnable and I hadn't even made my first payment on it yet. I thought the magnets in the bed would interfere with the hip implants. I asked my OS about that and was told the warning was for people with pacemakers. The salesperson hadn't said a thing about it. I was relieved I got the all clear from the OS.
 
It's easy to become a worrywart after this surgery. I was freaking out about going to the dentist. I think it's understandable; we don't want to go through a revision. I don't think any of us anticipated that we'd be replacing both hips at this age.

Good luck with the Pilates, @DeepBreath. I'll be eager to hear how your body responds. It seems like after a certain point in healing, the familiar stuff feels good. It's like an old friend. And, the muscle memory is there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought you were MIA! For some reason I'm not getting many of my watched thread alerts. I'm so happy you are feeling better since stopping PT. I really think there is a real fine line as to when and how much PT is appropriate at any given time during recovery. Hugs!!!! :loveshwr:
 
@Hipster Girl, GAH! I hadn't heard anything about magnets on adjustable beds and the warnings about them (ours didn't have a sticker like that). I'm glad you shared that great info, or I would likely have freaked out if I heard about it. Interesting about that and the pacemakers...
How are you doing today? I hope you're feeling much better with your cold and after this tough week. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! I agree. I need to go get my teeth cleaned and I'm a little anxious about it. My OS prescribed antibiotics for me so I'll have them whenever I need them. Guess I just need to bite the bullet and get on with it! :)
I'm looking forward to trying some Pilates. I really enjoy those exercises.

@Cynthia777, nope...not MIA. :) Just hangin' around. How are you feeling? How is the op hip doing? You've had so much on your mind lately. I hope the shiny new hip is treating you well. You deserve it! :)
 
@Kim22, thank you! :) The time since September has seemed to fly by. It's amazing. You are so right about that six month mark. I look forward to seeing how things progress to one year and beyond.
Do you still see differences/improvements with your first hip?
Thank you for popping by my thread. :)

Hi @DeepBreath yes I am still seeing improvements with my first hip in both strength and flexibility.The improvements have happened very slowly but bear in mind that this was the hip I injured at about 6 weeks and ended up with iliopsoas tendinosis which has a lengthy recovery period.I am sure that without the tendon injury I would have reached the point of complete recovery much earlier.Have a lovely Sunday and I hope you have seen the last of the snow over there.We are going off on holiday to Spain a week on Thursday and I am so looking forward to enjoying some warm sunshine.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, That's good that you already have the antibiotics. I think it will be a snap for you. My dentist did the work and the cleaning in one appointment, that way I only had to take the antibiotics once. It's good that you waited a while to see the dentist. I think the nerves need to settle down after such trauma.

Enjoy your Sunday...
 
Hi @DeepBreath I am doing much better today, thanks. I got caught up on much needed sleep this weekend, and am almost back to 100% physically. I'll be going to the gym shortly to burn off some nervous energy. The sun is shining and it is a beautiful day today. Sunny days always fill me with hope.:SUNsmile:

This is what it said on the magnetic warning label:

This product contains Neodymium magnets which may interfere with devices such as pacemakers, ICDs, or any other device sensitive to magnetic fields. It is strongly recommended that owners of such medical devices consult their physician. It is possible that some pacemakers may falsely interpret the optional massage feature vibrations as movement/exercise. This is a common occurrence with any product that creates a vibrating movement and may not affect the pacemaker. Please consult your physician before using the massage feature.

When I saw this message, I visualized the magnetic fields pulling my hip implants out of my body :heehee:....please rest easy, I sleep on my adjustable bed every night and even occasionally use the massage feature and it is perfectly fine. I received a very reassuring message from my OS that this warning was not meant for hip patients.

@Kim22 , wow, Spain - I am so happy for you! I bet Thursday can't get here quickly enough!
 
@Cynthia777, Yaay that the op hip feels good! You're going to be the bionic speed racer before long. :yay:

@Kim22, it is wonderful to hear that you are seeing steady improvement. Doggone that iliopsoas tendinitis! It does seem to be easy to get things flared. I'm so happy you've healed from that.
Honestly, I don't think there is a 'normal' time frame for recovery. From reading on here, there seems to be a huge spectrum of healing times and experiences. Things just happen in their own good time. :)
I was just going to type that I think our chances for snow are gone for this winter, but then realized that the second I did, it would probably blizzard. :heehee:
Oh goodness...Spain. How wonderful! Enjoy yourself and soak up that sunshine, friend! :SUNsmile:

@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm definitely ready to go get my teeth cleaned. Usually, I get that done three times a year since I seem to build up plaque on my bottom front teeth at an incredible rate, even with all the flossing, brushing, and rinsing I do. I hope I don't need a deep scaling, but I guess we'll see.
My OS actually strongly recommened at least three months after my last surgery before having anything done at the dentist. He said, "Let things settle." I was more than happy to abide by that. :)
I agree about the nerves settling. Not gonna lie, I am thoroughly sick and tired of being poked and prodded! Dental is a must though...:bored:

@Hipster Girl, I absolutely understand your concern about the adjustable bed and I would wonder the same thing about the magnets pulling out my implant. I can just imagine being on the 11:00 news:
"Area woman rushed to the hospital after hip implants were sucked out of her body by her adjustable bed...film to follow" :sick:
Yay for the sleep and the gym! It sounds like you're taking excellent care of yourself! :upright:

Today has been productived. I got up early and did my big beginning of the month grocery shopping trip. I utilized my coupons and the store's rewards program and got some great bargains. I love a full pantry and fridge!
Laundry is in progress and while I had clothes in the washer and dryer, I watched a DVR'd episode of Valerie's Home Cooking on the Food Network. I so enjoy Valerie Bertinelli and love to watch her cooking show.
While watching it I thought, "What the heck...try lying on your side". I did, and finally it feels comfortable!
This has been a long time coming and I am SO pleased about it. It's my first op hip...the newer one's incision area is still just a bit sensitive when I lay on it, enough so that I don't think it would be comfortable to sleep on yet.
I'll take that one side feeling comfortable though! Yippeee! :yes!:
@Nana757, you were spot on. Thank you for the encouragement about this milestone. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom