Guest viewing is limited

THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Hipster Girl !! I hope you will love your roller,, yours is a little different than the bamboo one that Deep bought. It will be a little Knobby in texture so you will want to begin with light pressure until you see what feels good, but most importantly, feels good a few hours after! I, myself, have graduated to a much firmer pressure and love working all around and over my scar/incision line. It also works great on the inner thigh muscles the smaller, hard to access ones up close to your groin area.
You can roll it starting at the very top of your thigh and roll clear down until you bump onto the bony areas of the knee.. down the front and then working over as far laterally as you can. I am guessing that your roller will have a pamphlet showing ways to use it.
Feel free to ask for more details after you get it!!
Good info here - thanks @CricketHip, I can't wait for it to get here!
 
Hi @DeepBreath, That's interesting what your OS told you about lengthening the quads and the hamstrings. I have noticed that I can get both heels on the floor now, in downward dog. I never was able to do that before the surgery. I always thought that it was strange. I did yoga for 30 years, and it didn't change. Now it's easy...

You sound like you are really on a roll with the PT and your new roller. (Pardon the pun.) It's exciting to heal and to be out of pain. I'm very happy for you.
 
@Cynthia777, sorry friend, I saw your question just now. I have two screws in one hip and it looks like one in the other. I was startled as well! I mean, logically I know there is a lot of hardware in there, but to actually see screws in your body is....weird. When I mentioned that to my OS, he said, "Oh yeah, I use screws in the majority of my patients". I just hope I never need a revision because I have a 'screw loose'. :wink:

@Hipster Girl, I actually did get that very one that is pictured in the Amazon listing. I was a little surprised and wondered if I had inadvertently ordered the wrong one, but I really like that roller. @CricketHip had given good tips on how to clean the bamboo one and I got to thinking I hope I didn't end up damaging the bamboo since I'm a bit of a germaphobe and tend to clean things that come into contact with my body rather rigorously. :)
The one pictured though is made of plastic, so super easy peasy where cleaning is concerned. I especially like that the rolling bands all move independently so it really 'molds' into each area you're massaging.
I took my roller with me to show my PT today and she said, "Hey! That's the same one I have. I loved it!"
She said the tips Cricket gave are perfect and that it will really help with the tightness in my quads and hamstrings as well as working on softening my incisions.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. :)

LOL, @Hip Hip Hooray! :heehee: The roller is an awesome tool, for sure.
How exciting that you can do that move with your heels on the floor! Isn't that something how much these surgeries change things? I'm sorry, I have forgotten, were you lengthened during surgery as well?
I see so much improvement and am excited to see what else becomes possible as my recovery continues. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I don't know if I was lengthened during the surgery. He didn't say anything about it. He's a very quiet man. The only thing I remember him saying in the hospital was to make that physical therapy my job. I think that's why I still do that same set of exercises. They really seem to firm and tone the area around the implants. I'll have to ask him when I go for my one year check up.
 
Now when we say we have a screw loose, it takes on a whole different meaning! :heehee: Getting information out of my OS is like pulling eye teeth. When I visit him in 30 days, I'm going to make sure I bring a list of questions. It seems as though my mind goes completely blank upon his entrance into the examining room and I exit thinking, "Now, what did he say?" DUH!
 
@Cynthia777, I hear you about the list of questions. I started putting them in the Notes section of my cell phone as I thought of them because I'd do the same thing...completely blank when it was time to discuss things with my OS. :)
 
@Cynthia777, anything I can do to help me stay at least somewhat organized and remember things, I utilize! :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! I always feel better when I've done my daily exercises (even if I procrastinate in doing them) :wink:
They truly do loosen those muscles nicely and help me just feel overall better.


I canceled my PT appointment for today as I think I overdid it last time. I have been doing a couple of new exercises during my sessions, including a straight leg raise. Between that and the vigorous stretching out my therapist gave me on Tuesday, I feel something must have been 'tweaked'.
My right hip and upper thigh area has been rather stiff and a bit numb feeling since my last session. Also, this morning I woke up with an unfamiliar pain in the lower part of my incision area...kind of a burning sensation.
It quickly let up after I got up and moved around, but I want to be cautious so I've taken it easy today and have been icing. I am wondering if I'm trying to roll over on that side while I sleep. Pre surgery I slept mainly on my right side and I've noticed I have a tendency to lean in that direction now that I'm not having to be conscious of restrictions.
My husband woke me up this morning before going to work and I was having a disturbing dream. He mentioned it looked like I was 'trying to run away', so maybe the incision discomfort is because of some movement I was doing during my dream. Dunno...but I'll rest a bit and then get back to my at home exercises tomorrow and see how I'm feeling. :)

I'm not sure if it was @CricketHip or @Hipster Girl or perhaps somebody else who had mentioned that their incision seemed to be 'waking up' from slight numbness and was now itching. I have been experiencing that with my first op hip this past week. It's fascinating the stages healing goes through. :)

I hope all my hippie buddies have a terrific day. :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath - It is fascinating how the healing process keeps changing after this surgery! New exercises can trigger new little pains. It's hard to discern sometimes if the pain is just part of the natural strengthening and healing or if it's an "oh that's too much too soon" pain. Sounds like you are listening carefully to your body and slowing down when you intuitively feel it's best. Good for you for taking the day off from PT session.

I had my first outpatient PT session yesterday. Felt good while doing it - except new exercise of raising op leg straight up to side while lying on side - I walked around a lot afterwards with daughter - shopping, errands, lunch. Therapist said I'd be sore and by the evening I was! It wasn't stabbing pain, more like an achey stiffness.

I hope your incision discomforts of pain and itchiness go away soon and are just more signs of your body doing its healing thing.

The therapist massaged my incision - ah! felt great. I am also using my kitchen rolling pin, too which is good. Am tempted to buy the Amazon roller though. It's already on my Amazon wish list...

I scheduled a massage for next week and am doing acupuncture every week until #2 surgery. Am in and out of denial about how soon it is coming up - March 8th. But I've started all the lists (things to get, things to pack, things to get done before, etc.) so I am getting prepared in spite of the denial.

Hope you have a great day Deep and that those little pains ease up for you! :flwrysmile:
 
I'm glad you are listening to your body, @DeepBreath. I've been having the itching, too. To me, that means healing. Any time I have burning it's usually when I've lifted something heavy, or done too much, as far as exercise. I did some more pilates last night. I am adding it gradually into my nightly yoga. Six months post op is a big shift, as least for me. I am just now feeling comfortable doing straight leg raises. Bit by bit...
 
Hi @DeepBreath I think it was smart to take the day off from PT and listen to your body. I hope you are feeling better today. It's good that you felt better as you started to move around and that the discomfort didn't linger. I think the itching is a good thing and is a sign of healing.

I forgot all about my roller until I checked your thread so I looked outside to see mine came today. :egypdance:I have already tried a couple minutes with it tonight but I will do more this weekend. I do think I am really going to like it, especially on the IT bands. :yes:
 
@Cynthia777, everything is good, sweet friend. Thanks for the shout out. :)
I am just chilling out because I've been working on the muscle stiffness from last week (it's getting better :) ) and have now skipped two 'cycles', if you know what I mean. My mood is not good during the time I'd usually be having my period, so instead of dragging the crankies here I keep them to myself. I'll be back when I have something positive to contribute. I hope you are well.

Sending good thoughts out for @Nana757 as well as
@Hip Hip Hooray! and
@Hipster Girl, and last but not least,
@Readysetgo

Everyone is in my prayers daily even when I'm not here. Have a wonderful, healing day, friends! :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath I can totally relate! I'm going through that fun time of life myself and gosh, if my moodiness and irritability isn't worse and lasts much longer than it used to.:groan:My friends and co-workers are saying the same thing. We are a fun group to be around, ha! Especially because, like they say, when you are around the same women on a regular basis like in a work setting, you all get to be on the same cycle. The men I think want to run for the hills every month :bolt:

Take care friend :)
 
It's a great club ..... I'm well past that, but still get the hormonal irritability. NO, actually for that read Divorceable Behaviour ..... add to that the preOp nerves and I'm a complete nightmare. :tantrum2:
Why isn't the dishwasher stacked the way I do it? Why are you putting salad cream on my salad - I take mayonnaise - oh it is YOURS you are adding it to. It's too hot - I'm melting. I'm freezing - turn up the heating. WHY don't you understand the pain I'm in? STOP patronising me .... :bricks: arrrgh now I hate myself on top of looking and feeling a wreck. :badspidy:
Long to be a nice, healthy, gorgeous wifey again - oh my poor hubster :angel:
 
Hi @DeepBreath I can relate about your cycle mine has been a bit off since surgery. It was late then when it did turn up, it outstayed it's welcome 4 extra days, hoping it back to normal next time.
I have a foam roller too although I can't use mind yet. Will see what next Wednesday brings.
It's great to work on quads and ITBs even though that's a killer to massage. Don't neglect your good leg as that has done a lot of work compensating. I also have a massage ball awesome to sit on and roll pressure on the center of you butt, glute medius. You can use a lacrosse ball too, but small but harder.
 
@DeepBreath - Hope you are feeling better and that the muscle stiffness is easing up, too.

I've been busy preparing for hip #2 on March 8th. Trying to get things rolling for the spring and summer so everything to do is not hanging over my head during recovery. I've been off BS lately. But like you, I still find myself thinking about everyone and hoping they're doing well. Hoping to catch up on everybody soon.

Take good care! :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo - hello. You and I have the same surgery date. I see that you are having your second surgery. This is my first. Kinda scared but looking forward to it just the same. I learned I need to have a hysterectomy sometime after hip surgery. Ergg. I just want to get in the other side already.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom