THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip, I sure do remember the dread of the surgery! It was all encompassing for a while.
It's good to read your timeline of resuming core exercises. 12 weeks sounds like a good, solid number. I did notice with my first surgery that 12 weeks seemed to be a quite a milestone as far as progress and feeling more sure of myself went.
I'll be 12 weeks out from my second surgery when I go in for my next checkup, so I'll touch base with my OS then.
I love the 100 and also the hip and rear end exercises. They're amazing. :)

I'm so glad that you're feeling great. The payoff is definitely worth the lead up, surgery, etc.
Have a terrific weekend, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DeepBreath - I got discharged from home PT by the main PT guy and he massaged my incision (finally a massage of sorts!) He showed me how to do it - circular motions, perpendicular and where it was most stiff. Said I could also use Vitamin E oil to help clear the scar up. I'm lucky there's not much of a scar. But for some reason I'm just reluctant to do it. It feels better when someone else does it and kind of yucky when I do it myself. Anyway, he did say they'll do that for me at outpatient PT, which I start next week. So we'll see how that goes.

Do you think you'll massage the incision? Sorry it hurt afterwards. Maybe that's just because the massaging is releasing the lactic acid or tension or whatever?

Hope your boy is feeling better now! :flwrysmile:Not fun when winter colds drag on too long.

Enjoy your weekend! :)
 
hi Deep! I just snagged a bit of free time and read through the last few pages of your thread. It's hard to be working and missing all of the fun on here!! :heehee:
!) you don't need a lot of pressure to help those incisions. massaging perpendicular is a good method but try going soft small circles over the incision. Deep and painful isn't productive. Truly!! My incision is just now settling down where it's not so tender, I am guessing several little nerves were damaged in the process and that's what gives that feeling of extreme sensitivity?
I can sleep on my sides but I need a king size pills not only between my knees but clear done to my ankles to keep the body more aligned. (hence the king size pillow) Then it feels great!!
I love this forum! Not only do I get to read interesting and helpful stiff but I also got a great recipe idea from @Cynthia777!! I have used cream of mushroom soup before in cooking meats but have gotten away from cooking as much (hip pain) so that story was a good reminder!!

Lets, see....oh! girl! We talked about the foam roller weeks back,, let me tell you, it is too painful to use! Don't even bother getting one,, trust me on this!:yikes: to use the roller you pretty much need to lay yourself and your body part on to the roller and that is way too much pressure for those sore IT Bands and recently operated on body's muscles and tendons.. I have a nice, smooth bamboo roller.. I offer bamboo massage as one of my treatments and my goodness, it is simply awesome. After a shower I put my foot up on something like the seat of a chair and slather on some massage cream or oil and work the bamboo stick up and down the length of my quads and IT Band and even actually over and over the incision. I was feeling a good bit of restriction and after a couple days of doing this it felt some much better. Now I only need to bamboo myself like 1 or 2 times weekly. @Nana757 I run that bamboo clear down to the side of my knee where it's been so sore from the surgery and it really helps.. I know you and I have both had that issue.

I use my legs a lot in my work,, it's where my working force comes from and my goodness, that bamboo stick has eased up the chronic soreness and has given me a new level in the healing process.

I'm guessing if you want to try it? You could probably use a rolling pin if it's wood?
You can actually buy something similar at the running and fitness stores but I bet you could save the $$ and use a rolling pin. I will post a picture of the ones for sale on Amazon just so you get the general idea of what I am saying. I hope this isn't too much posting on your thread.. I just love the results, though and it's a kinder, gentler way to help heal our body's from what was a traumatic event. I may copy and paste this and add it to my thread, too for others to read.
You are making GREAT progress! Your walking will smooth out more and more as time goes on,, I still see changes in my gait (for the better) especially in the last 10 days or so. This is definitely a journey.

sorry again for the long post XOXOXO
 
@CricketHip, rest assured that no post from you is 'too long'. I enjoy your insight and help and hearing how life is going for you.
THANK YOU so much for the bamboo roller recommendation. It's funny because I had looked at the foam roller a couple of times this week wondering if I should get it and if it would be easier on my incision than the manual massages I was doing. I watched a video on how to use them and honestly wasn't sure I could:
A) get down on the ground to use it, and
B) get back up after using it. :heehee:
The bamboo roller looks perfect and I just now ordered myself one. :yay: I so look forward to getting it and using it.
I have to take my referral slip into my PT place this next week to see what they have to say. I got to looking at it and it only runs to the 19th of this month. I don't see my OS until March 7th, so I might be without PT until I see him, and perhaps for good if he deems me 'done'. We'll see.
The exercises I feel pretty good about. I have learned to do mine regularly because missing a day (or more) just makes me very stiff. They are all ones I can do with minimal equipment (dog leash for the quad and hamstring stretches and an aerobic stair stepper - that I originally got to help me get in and out of my husband's SUV).
It's the massage that I would really miss. My little PT gal gets in there and massages the heck out of my thighs and it is heavenly. She even massages my incisions for me and it doesn't bother me when she does them (probably because she's doing them correctly, while my ham fisted self is not). :wink:
I feel like the bamboo roller could really help with that.
Also, thank you for your encouragement about the gait getting better. I absolutely believe that now. Today marks one week since I have used my cane and I can tell a difference. Between my PT exercises and walking quite a bit, I am definitely strengthening my legs and hips.
I think that my side sleeping issue has a lot to do with my posterior approach. My scars are right at that 'sweet spot' where I lay. I am hoping it will just take time and work with the roller to get them where they need to be. I also need to work on my flexibility because it's still difficult for me to roll from side to side. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, but I'm scared of flailing around too much and hurting my shiny new hips.
It will all come with time, I'm sure. :)

@Readysetgo, yes! It is so true that it is very different when my PT does my incision massage from when I do it. You have a great point about the lactic acid possibility. I was surprised at how tender both incisions still are at 19 and 10 weeks post op. I mean, DUH, we read here so much about how it takes a good year, or even more, for all the healing to take place. I'm not sure why I thought I'd be completely good to go in such a short time. LOL!
Thank you for your good wishes for my son. He is feeling better today, so we got out and went to lunch. I thought the fresh, mild air would do him good after being cooped up in his room for a couple of days.
I didn't hear back from the doctor's office about his tests, so I'm hoping that's a good thing. I'll be calling them on Monday to (hopefully) get the results.

Enjoy your weekend, friends. Hopefully it is mild where you all are after a week of pretty wild weather all over! :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath I so agree about the 12 week mark being a milestone. I noticed with each surgery that 12 weeks out is when I started feeling more confident and less worried about every little move, and more "normal". It is a great feeling.

Sorry if I missed it but curious what is the 100? Is that a particular core exercise?

I'm learning lots from you and CricketHip on the massaging and rolling. My OS didn't mention anything about it so I am grateful for what I am learning on here. I think I will try the circular massaging motion for starters and see how that goes.

I'm so happy you have been off your cane now for a week and that your legs and hips are getting stronger! I am convinced now that the PT exercises are more beneficial than I had given them credit for, and thanks to you and @Hip Hip Hooray! I started to do mine again yesterday after going weeks without. I noticed yesterday how great I felt afterwards. I wonder if just getting the blood flow to the area by doing the PT exercises is what is so helpful?
Have a great day, Friend! :flwrysmile:
 
I feel the same way after those exercises, @Hipster Girl. When I'm feeling really good, I forget to do them. I think they strengthen all the right muscles around the implants. They also don't strain the tender areas. It's a good balance.

I noticed a big shift at 12 weeks, too. Let us know how you like the roller. I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing so well. It's exciting.
 
@Hipster Girl, 'more normal' is exactly the way I would describe that 12 week mark. Over the past week or so I have really gotten back to pre-surgery living (without the pain, of course). I have put away all of my aids (except my grabber...that thing is invaluable) and am rearranging my bedroom back to what it was like before my first surgery. I actually feel like, "Wow, that didn't take too long". I know there is more healing to do and work to be done, but I am surprised how normal I feel just a little over 4 months out from my initial surgery. :)
No, you didn't miss anything. We had been talking about Pilates exercises and when and how to resume them after surgery. The 100 is just one of those exercises. I'll include a picture of what it looks like with this post. It's basically just combining your breathing with your body position and pumping your arms up and down. It seems (and actually is) very easy, but it definitely works your core.
You are so right about the great info that is available here. I don't think a single day goes by that I don't learn something interesting and valuable. I'm excited to try the roller Cricket recommended!
I think you're absolutely right about the blood flow thing where the PT exercises are concerned. I just know it's not a good thing if I skip a day. I tend to feel stiff and 'blah'. If I take that time to do my exercises though, I feel much more energized and like my gait is much smoother.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I will definitely let you know what I think of the roller.
Isn't it true that it's easy to stop doing the exercises when you're feeling good? I think that's just a very normal human thing to do. :)

Well, this evening is the Super Bowl. I'm not a huge football fan, but I am from Colorado, so am rooting for the Broncos. I doubt I'll watch though. It makes me too nervous. LOL

Have a terrific upcoming week, friends!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty
    20120317215624-do-3-sets-of-100s-pilates-exercise.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 176
Okay...you gals enjoy the Super Bowl. I may start doing the hundreds with my feet flat on the floor. I'm glad I went to the knitting group. The ladies that were there today were really nice. It was good chemistry. No grown up "mean girls".

Four months was pretty magical for me. I did overdo in the fifth month, though, and had some soreness. Now I'm almost at six months. It's fantastic. I'm laying off the weights. The easy PT exercises and yoga are better for me. I don't even feel my hips today.

Take care. I'm happy that everyone is doing so well. Healing is a wonderful thing.
 
Woo-Hoo! I'm pleased as punch that my hometown team won. Although I am not a sports follower, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Broncos. :)

Good news from my son's doctor: all the tests were negative. I figured since he was definitely on the mend this weekend, but it's nice to get confirmation.

I hope all my hippie buddies have a wonderful week. :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath - Glad to hear your son's tests were fine. I was wondering about that - hard to wait all weekend to hear for sure.

Congrats on your hometown team winning! I'm not much of a sports follower either but I do like it when the Patriots do well. By the way, did you hear that Peyton Manning was told he'll need a hip replacement surgery soon? I heard it mentioned on the radio and of course my ears pricked up. Googled it and apparently it's true. He's had a ton of surgeries. I didn't know that, but then again, as I said I'm not a big sports fan.

Congrats for getting back to pre-surgery living minus the pain! Very exciting! And good to hear now that I'm beginning to get Hip #2 pre-op jitters a bit these days.

@Hip Hip Hooray! - Had to smile at your mention of "grown up mean girls"! You'd think they'd have grown out of that by now, but sometimes they just get meaner. I've met some mean 80+ year olds.... Glad it went well for you at the knitting group.

Congrats on not feeling your hips! That is music to my ears at this point. I don't have much pain per se but stiffness - and I'm still cautious even though my restrictions are lifted. Keep up the excellent work with the PT exercises and yoga.
 
@DeepBreath, thanks for the info & picture of the 100 exercise - it helps to visualize and I can see how that would be really effective for the core.

That's really great news from your son's doctor and I'm glad he is feeling better (your son, not the doctor, :snork:)

Congrats on the Broncos win! I am not a Broncos fan but last night I was really cheering them on because I wanted the win for Peyton's sake and was very happy for him. If that truly was his last game, what a storybook ending to a great career! I thought the commercials were pretty good this year - I liked the ones with the weiner dogs dressed in hot dog buns and running towards the ketchup, it made me chuckle. :heehee:

ETA: Forgot to mention that is very interesting @Readysetgo about Peyton needing a hip replacement, I had not heard that but professional football players do put a lot of wear and tear on their bodies so I can see how it would eventually necessitate surgery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DeepBreath it's so cool that you're from Aurora! I moved to Denver about 14 and 1/2 years ago and I embraced the Broncos as my home team. As you can imagine, I'm feeling very happy, today!! It's wonderful that you're doing so well, and I share your joy about being able to walk a ways without any assistance. Isn't it a grand feeling? Here's to more of them for both of us! I hope your son gets well, soon; just is so hard when our kids are sick, even when they're not small, anymore. Oh, and if you're ever in the Denver area, we should try to meet in person!

@Hip Hip Hooray! I have enough flexibility that I can put my fingertips on the floor while standing, but still can't do palms down. Good to know the flexibility will come back, soon! As for knees and such, boy can I relate! Both knees have moderate osteoporosis and my right is worse than left. I got cortisone shots in right knee and into one of the bursal sacks in my right thigh. Funny, my OP said my legs are the same length, but I'd swear my right is just a bit longer. I might have to go see OP again and let him know about this. Still having some pain with soft tissue, back problems, but most pain is because of the Bursitis.

Blessings to all my fellow hippies!
 
@Readysetgo, thank you for the kinds words, friend. I'm glad my kiddos test results came back fine too. :)
Oh my goodness, no, I hadn't heard about Peyton Manning needing a THR. I can't imagine trying to play football with a bum hip, poor guy. I hope he has a good experience and outcome. We'll have to keep an eye out here on the forum and see if a new member pops up one day with the username 'Two Time SB Champ' or something. :heehee:
Are you getting pre op jitters? I'm sorry if you've already mentioned this, but when are you looking to get your next surgery done? You're going to do great! You've done excellent with this one and it truly is easier the second time around.

@Hipster Girl, no problem about the 100 picture. I know I've been yapping about Pilates a lot lately, but I really can't say enough good things about it. I found it about 10 years ago and it just struck the right chord with me. I've never been a runner or one for a lot of exercise machines, so the no impact, gentle workout is something I really enjoy. I find it very effective as well. Everything feels better when my core is strong. :)
I agree about it being a storybook ending if Peyton Manning decided to retire after this season. He's had a pretty terrific career and I'm glad he could win the SB again.
I couldn't watch the game until the last few minutes...it makes me nervous (which is so goofy), so I'd just switch it on every little bit and check the score. Because of that I didn't see many of the commercials. I did see the Prius one though. I'll have to check out the doggy one...it sounds adorable!
I hope your week is going good, Hipster. You're in my thoughts throughout this transition time. :)

@HipSurprise, maybe I'm biased, but Colorado is a great place to live. I had the nicest childhood there and was happy to go home to live and work for the 15 months my husband was deployed to Iraq. It felt happy and welcoming and I just feel grounded when I could see those beautiful mountains. :)
I can only imagine the excitement in the air there right now!
It truly is a grand feeling to walk unaided and pain free. Amen about more of that to come. :)
Thankfully, my kiddo seems back to his old self now. It does stink when your kids are sick. You just want to make them feel better.
I would love to meet up when we go through Colorado again. There is a possibility we could go to El Paso in the next couple of years, so it's just a quick jaunt up to CO, which makes me very happy.



I had a good PT session today and she said something that was music to my ears. She said she'd been watching my gait and in the three sessions since I stopped using my cane, my 'scissoring' has gotten less and less noticeable until she said she didn't see me doing it at all today. Yippee! I'm all for those positive steps (literally) :egypdance:
Have a super day, friends!
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. It feels good to put away the handicapped supplies. I found that they made such a difference. They really help with independence. That's wonderful that you're not scissoring anymore. Wow! I'm impressed. Congratulations.

@Readysetgo, Thanks. It's a great feeling not to feel your hips. Now that I've laid off the weights, (and moving heavy items,) I really don't notice mine. Most of us learn what we can do as we heal. That's what I've been doing. A conservative, careful approach has helped me.

@HipSurprise, Yes, it's wonderful to have the flexibility return. I'd forgotten how it feels to be mobile. It's been years. It sounds like you have other challenges with the bursitis. I always think of the tortoise and the hare. I'm the tortoise...
 
@DeepBreath - Glad you had a good PT session yesterday- with no scissoring- YAY for you! :yes!: You seem very upbeat, as well you should be with all your wonderful progress. May it continue onward and upward.

I watched some of the Super Bowl and didn't notice any limping or anything with Peyton Manning. The stuff I read online mentioned the surgery would happen "eventually", so maybe the damage is moderate at this point- and not bone on bone? Maybe he got a cortisone shot? I find it interesting how people deal (or don't deal) with the news that they may be due for a hip replacement. When x-rays revealed mild arthritis for me years ago, I thought I could "work out enough" and keep strong and flexible enough so that it wouldn't progress. Kind of a "Hip replacement? I'll show them! I was a dancer and I know how to take care of my body. " HAHAHA :rotfl: on me years later when I had to give in.

My #2 surgery is on March 8th. (I have to get around to updating my recovery thread.) I had pre_op the other day. I am going to try just using tylenol for pain from Day 1 to avoid the nausea and vomiting I had last time. I meet with OS one more time pre-surgery. Feel more confident about the surgery 2nd time around but still nervous about getting so sick again.
 
Great, great news on the scissoring issue! :dancy: Every day just keeps on getting better for you! Happy day, my friend!:curtsey:
 
Thank you for the kind words about the scissoring being gone. :) I was very happy to hear her say that.

I too thought I could 'work out enough' to stave off the encroaching deterioration of my hips. Yeah....that didn't turn out quite like I planned it. :wink:

My favorite little PTA finishes her rotation for school at my PT facility tomorrow, so today was our last time working together. She is a sweetie and I will sure miss her. She has a great job lined up though and I know she'll do just great. Luckily, my main PT person is fabulous as well. :)

Happy Day, Hippie Friends! :flwrysmile:
 
HI! I'm tired now, catch you later! :rofsign:

Kidding! Just got caught up on your thread and I'm so happy at how well you're doing! I'm finding some very useful info too. I can't believe how tired my mind is! I read for 5 or 10 minutes and it's time for a nap. I sure hope this passes!

Just wanted to send hugs and well wishes to one of my favorite gals! :loveshwr:
 
@Cynthia777 oooh, the tiredness lasts for a while! Just go with it, sister, and sleep sleep sleep! I still get so very tired and still get surprised at it! Plus, from what I've heard having pneumonia causes tiredness for quite some time.. but I think you are like the Wonder Woman!!

@DeepBreath -- hon, I am so pleased to read about your gait improving! Our bodies are so amazing, yes?? What a difference you have had just by switching to a different PT... remember that first guy? I still get all riled up when I think of how he was bullying you!:tantrum2:
We hosted a small Super Bowl party and my goodness, I was tired for the next 3 days! I though I was past some of that!

I feel the pressure now.. haha,, hoping you like your bamboo roller.. would be glad to help you with how to use it. :ok:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom