THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip
You're way too cute!!! I find the mental fatigue to be more burdensome than the physical fatigue. It's funny how I'll feel like I want to catch a nap, but at the same time I feel too antsy to actually take it. I would imagine you are right, I have a double whammy hitting me at one time.
As Wonder Woman...I shall persevere! :-)
 
@Cynthia777, the fatigue is really something, isn't it? I remember during my early days just being so foggy at times. I was talking to somebody (I honestly can't even remember who it was now) and the subject of our dog came up. The person asked how old she is and I just popped out with, "She's eleven". My husband looked at me like :what: and said, "No, hon...she's nine". I wanted to argue with him and then realized that he was absolutely right. It was bizarre. Reading...one of my favorite things was almost impossible for me those first couple of weeks because I just couldn't focus.
You're doing so beautifully though. I agree with Cricket that you are Wonder Woman. :)

@CricketHip, boy you said a mouthful about the difference a good PT person makes. I'm so pleased with this current PT place. :)
LOL, no worries about the roller. I promise I'm not building it up in my mind as a miracle cure all. I just expect it to reduce the size of my hips by several inches. That's not an unreasonable thing, right? :heehee:
I'm relieved to hear you say that you get tuckered out still too. I'll think the energy drain is behind me and then it will overtake me out of the blue. This recovery process is an interesting one for sure!

Have a great Friday, Friends! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, that is awesome about the no scissoring - you are making amazing progress, woot!!! :happydance:

@Cynthia777 I know what you mean about the mental tiredness being harder than the physical but you having a great recovery - keep up the good work, and just roll with it when you get tired. The sleep is very healing.

Off to work, will have a lot of catching up to do on BS this weekend to see what I've missed - it's been a crazy busy week! Happy Friday everyone! :)
 
@DeepBreath and @Hipster Girl

The mental drain is really something, BUT I feel so blessed that the physical part of my recovery has gone so well (so I have absolutely nothing to complain about)!

I noticed both of you had your THR's very close together. I would like to get the second hip done ASAP, but am not sure at what point I should move forward. Were you pretty much fully recovered with no or little pain in the op leg when you had the second surgery or did you still have some post-op discomfort going on? Wow, my sentences aren't coming out very clearly! Please bear with me. :heehee:
 
@Hipster Girl, thank you, friend! I am so pleased with the improvement in my gait. The scissoring, the limp, the general smoothness of how I walk is really getting better. Woot! :)
I was telling Hip Hip on her thread that I realized the other day how much I'd improved when I was able to carry a cup of hot tea into the living room without thinking about it. Suddenly it dawned on me that prior to surgery I couldn't have done that because I lurched so badly I would have dumped hot tea all over the place. Color me pleased! :)
I look forward to hearing from you. You've been on my mind so much and I hope things are going okay at work and with PITA. I hope your hips are feeling good too. :flwrysmile:

@Cynthia777, the drains thankfully work themselves out in pretty short order. You're so peppy that I have a feeling you'll overcome them in record time. :)
By the way, your sentences are coming out fine. You're very clear and concise with your statements and questions. No worries! :)

As far as your question about the time between surgeries: my second was at 8 weeks and 4 days after the first. My surgeon originally wanted to do them 6 weeks apart, but I was on toe touch weight bearing restriction for 4 weeks due to my femur fracture. He wanted me to have a couple extra weeks of navigating on my first op leg before going ahead with the next surgery. He would have done it at 7 weeks, but my husband was attending a school that he really needed for his next professional transition, so I requested a later surgery date.
I did feel ready for the other surgery by the time it rolled around. I did have some concerns about whether my first op hip was healed enough to be the 'main hip', but it turned out it was more than up for the task.
I found my second recovery to be much quicker than the first...probably because I didn't have a femure fracture to deal with and also because I felt more sure of what I was capable of post surgery.
I was very cautious after the first operation because I was worried about damaging my new hip. With the second I definitely took a :chillpill:.
Wishing you another fantastic recovery day, friend!

@CricketHip, I am in love with the massage roller! It was delivered today and I promptly took it out for a spin. :heehee:
I worked on my incisions gently for about 2 minutes each side and then spent 4 minutes each on both my legs.
Afterwards it felt just like I do when I come out of my PT session and a good massage.
I started out with just light to moderate pressure on my legs. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about using the roller and got some good tips. :)
Thank You SO much for recommending that to me! :loveshwr:
 
Deep! That is such good news!! And as you adjust to it you can use more pressure.. I hold the stick and spin it as I press down, especially around the incisions.. feels so good. If you sit fully on your bed you should be able to roll your hamstring muscles, too. It's been a big help for my soreness and tightness on the lateral knee.
Oh! If you have a heating pad? Turn it on high and warm your bamboo for 15 minutes beforehand, feels great that way!
 
Thanks! I'm thinking the emotional recovery will probably be easier after the second hips done? Can't seem to get too excited knowing I'm facing surgery all over again. I guess one day at a time is the order of the day. :-)
 
Hi @DeepBreath that had to be such a great feeling when you realized you had carried the hot tea without even thinking about it! I still have "aha" moments when I suddenly recognize I did something I couldn't do before and it is so exciting every time that happens.:yes:

I think you and @CricketHip have me convinced me I need to get one of those bamboo rollers. I'm going to order one off Amazon this weekend. :)

@Cynthia777 I had my surgeries 7 weeks apart and was definitely ready for the 2nd surgery. I was concerned how well my first operated hip would hold up but it did way better than I could have imagined. I think between 6-8 weeks is the perfect time frame for doing the 2nd one. For me, I was still in that recovery mindset so it was easier emotionally with the 2nd hip to go ahead and get it done. Any longer than that and I think it would have been harder for me to get back in that mindset and I think the mental part plays such a huge role in this process.
 
@CricketHip, awesome tips, friend! Thank you. :) I will definitely try warming the roller with a heating pad. That sounds heavenly. I was able to roll my hamstrings yesterday as well as the quads and, oh my goodness, that felt terrific.
It's really cool because now I can feel what my PT gals have been talking about regarding certain muscles being tight. I'm lucky because I'm really not in any pain. Sometimes I'll feel stiff in certain areas, but just had to take their word for it when they'd work my IT band or the muscle in my inner thigh by the knee. Yesterday when I was rolling though I could feel certain muscles giving me a bit of 'push back'. It made me feel more connected to the process. I figure I can give those areas a bit more attention and hopefully work and soothe them at the same time.
I'm really over the moon with my roller! I'm going to take it with me to my next PT session and see if my therapist has any additional tips. :)

@Cynthia777, I found the second go around to be easier in almost every way. The dread of surgery was cut by about 95%, my work with the PT while still in the hospital was easier, and I was just all around more comfortable with the whole process (if 'comfortable' can ever be applied to major surgery...LOL).
I had a couple of aches that were different from the first surgery, but they were very short lived. Conversely, I wasn't bothered with some things I'd experienced the first time.
You are 100% correct that taking things one day at a time is best. I promise you that before you know it both surgeries will be behind you and you'll be surprised at how time flies afterwards. I had to put a note in my cell phone to help remind me what week I am on with both hips because I've really just forgotten. Enjoying the progress and marveling at just how different life is now with pain free hips is upper most in my mind now. :)

@Hipster Girl, those 'aha' moments are the best, aren't they? :yay: At least once every week I realize that things are improving and I'm experiencing little victories that I really wasn't sure I'd ever see. It's like unwrapping surprise gifts. :)
I tell ya, I love that roller. I do PT twice a week and notice that, even with doing my daily at home exercises, I can experience some stiffness between appointments. I think this roller will really help with that feeling and will be invaluable when I eventually no longer have out patient sessions.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm thrilled to pieces with the roller. My OS told me that my quads and hamstrings would be tight since he lengthened me and that I would have to work at stretching and conditioning them. I really think the roller is going to be helpful in accomplishing that. :)


Well, today is beautifully bright and sunny and cold! I'm going to whip up a batch of chocolate chips cookies this afternoon just so I can hang around the oven. :wink:
I hope all my buddies have a terrific day and feel great. :)
 
@DeepBreath
Thank you so much for your encouragement! I guess I find myself worrying that I won't be so fortunate with my second THR recovery (but, then again, I'm not through the first one yet). Did you schedule your second THR at the same time you scheduled your first replacement or did you wait to see how things went with the first one before scheduling your second one?
 
Any time, @Cynthia777. :) I was concerned too. It's still a major surgery. While every procedure is different and things can sometimes arise, I'd say that the odds are in your favor for having a great second operation and recovery. You have a terrific attitude and, honestly, I think that is one of the biggest contributing factors in this process. Let's face it, this is not a snap. The worry, the actual surgery, the recovery...it's easier than most folks think and worry about pre op, but it does require commitment and time. Even with the infection issue after surgery though, I've seen nothing but upbeat, humorous posts from you. That says a lot. Attitude is important.
I had a two week post op check up and then a four week one. The four week one was to get x-rays on my femur fracture. I scheduled my second surgery that day.
It's about how you feel too, Cindy. It's your body and your recovery. If you feel ready for your next op at around 6-8 weeks, great. If not, share that with your OS. You're going to be fine and get where you need to go either way. You get to decide what's best for you. :) *Hugs*
 
@DeepBreath
Darn, you are so level headed! I always find wisdom and comfort in your posts. I'll see what my OS says Monday, but I'll probably get the same answer he's given me twice before...."Whenever you're ready."...(Mr. Helpful)! :heehee:
 
Hi @DeepBreath , that's a great idea about taking the roller in to your PT.. so happy it's helping you and that you are already in love with it. I am stiff today, I think it is in direct correlation to the bitter cold temps and gusty winds. I hope to get a nice hot tub bath later and then use the roller, too. I did my exercises earlier and that has helped. The extreme cold temps definitely bother me.
Your cookies sounds wonderful! I think I can almost smell them baking!
We love chipped beef gravy on toast with eggs and sweet potatoes. It may sound like a weird combination but oh my, it's good and I am making that for dinner.. comfort food, for sure!
 
@Cynthia777, I hear you. :) Sometimes it would be nice to have someone make the tough decisions for us. It would take a lot of worry off the table.
There really is no wrong answer as to whether you have the next surgery at 6-8 weeks or want to wait a bit, unless your quality of life is being affected by the non op hip.
It's still early days for you. I know it may not seem like it now, but 6-8 weeks out from your surgery is going to feel like a lot more time has elapsed compared to how you're feeling now.
Hopefully on Monday you can talk things over with your OS. You don't have to decide anything definitely right then though. Let him know how you're feeling and get his input. I didn't have to think about a surgery date until 4 weeks after my first THR and I was glad. I simply chugged through one day at a time and let my mind get wrapped around what was happening post op.
Sending *Hugs* because I know this isn't easy. You have tons of support here though, friend. :)

@CricketHip, I'm sorry you were feeling achy yesterday. The weather definitely does affect all sorts of things. You got a big blast of that bitterly cold front. Brrrrr!!
I hope today is better pain wise. :)
The chipped beef on toast with eggs and sweet potatoes sound really good! I smiled when I read that because we had pulled pork sandwiches and steak fries last night. I would have rather had the sweet potatoes though. They're yummy! I'm all for comfort food.
Hubby, son, and I are going out to a movie today and then to our favorite Mexican restaurant...Oh Yeah! As you can tell, I love me some food. :wink:



Have a great day, hippie buddies, and :loveshwr:HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DeepBreath and @CricketHip, I ordered myself the roller Cricket posted from Amazon. Reading both your posts, I am so excited for it to get here but I don't know exactly how to use it. Do you just roll it up and down your quads and hamstrings, or do you go one direction only? How many minutes/times per day, etc? I know I could probably Google it but it's quicker and more fun to ask my buddies here. :snork:

@Cynthia777, I scheduled my 2nd surgery at the same time as the first because I knew I wanted to get both of mine done by year-end and I know doctor's offices get crazy busy at the end of the year because everyone is thinking the same thing (one deductible, one out-of-pocket max). You have the benefit of it being so early in the year that those are not concerns. You will probably get more clarity when you go to see your OS tomorrow and see the x-rays. It's still very early days for you but I know you will make the right decision for you. As others have said, the right frame of mind is a huge part of this process and your positive attitude will take you a long way. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl !! I hope you will love your roller,, yours is a little different than the bamboo one that Deep bought. It will be a little Knobby in texture so you will want to begin with light pressure until you see what feels good, but most importantly, feels good a few hours after! I, myself, have graduated to a much firmer pressure and love working all around and over my scar/incision line. It also works great on the inner thigh muscles the smaller, hard to access ones up close to your groin area.
You can roll it starting at the very top of your thigh and roll clear down until you bump onto the bony areas of the knee.. down the front and then working over as far laterally as you can. I am guessing that your roller will have a pamphlet showing ways to use it.
Feel free to ask for more details after you get it!!
 
Gosh darn! I haven't been getting many of my alerts, so I just now saw your post!
Asking my surgeon will be fruitless, as I've asked him more than once and he has his pat answer, "Whenever you're ready." Shame on him, I want him to make the decision so I can't blame myself if something goes wrong! :heehee:

I'm pretty certain (God willing) that I'll have the second one done no later than the end of April. I'm sure you remember my Del Mar family vacation every year in August and I want to make sure I'm in good form and not wearing TEDS when I saunter out onto the beach in my new pink polka dot bikini! :rofsign:
 
@DeepBreath
You mentioned in an earlier post about seeing the screws in your xray and wanted to know how many screws did they use? I took a pic of my xray and I was shocked when I saw the two screws there! :yikes: I guess I never thought about how the unit was held in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom