THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hip Hip Hooray! Boy, you put it perfectly; I feel battered. When I woke up fully after the surgery the thumb, pointer, and middle fingers on my right hand hurt like the dickens. My neck also hurts a bit. I had this brief mental picture of the Ortho docs using me for a pinata. :heehee: I know it will resolve and I just have to be patient.
I was on Oxycodone in the hospital but asked my OS if I could be given Tramadol and Tylenol when I returned home. I like the pain relief Oxy gives, but, like last time, it makes my tongue feel fuzzy and irritated. So far, so good with the Tramadol and Tylenol. :)

@Kim22, I'm so glad you tried the scalloped potatoes and that you all liked them. That's the dish my husband heated up for our dinner this evening. I wish I had a better appetite, but I know it will come back soon.
Thank you for the kind words. :)

Regarding the rash: so far it hasn't spread to my torso or limbs. It's just on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. We'll see how it progresses. I'll be having the home health nurse come in for a while and that's a comfort.
No PT right now though. I explained my feelings to my OS and he said, "No problem". He told me to do the ankle pumps, glute squeezes, and the thigh exercises you can do while lying down and said we'd discuss going forward with outpatient PT at my 2 week follow up.
With the added pain, everything I do feels like a mega workout. It's interesting getting adjusted to favoring that right hip now. For so long it carried the lion's share of movement, balance, etc. I'm so thankful my left hip is doing so well and can help out the little right hip as it heals.
I got the giggles today when I tried using the bathroom for the first time since getting home. There was much maneuvering and making sounds like a 100+ years old person. I finally got the job done though.
I keep telling myself that it will get better. Of course, I want it to be better right now. Didn't we all though? :wink:

Take care, friends. :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @DeepBreath!! Welcome home. Maybe you feel this one more when you are walking because last time you weren't putting pressure on the other leg right after surgery, right? that is what I remember the most, the stiffness and discomfort when first getting up and trying to move the leg.. the dreaded log leg!
But very disconcerting about your fingers and thumb and neck. hah! about the piƱata! You might be on to something, though. yikes!

Now, you get some rest and don't be worrying about us-- we will be here when you are ready to visit more.. hearing form you has made my Thanksgiving Day that much better and I mean that!
 
@CricketHip, I think you're absolutely correct about this go around being more painful than the last one because I am fully weight bearing on it. My left hip got 4 weeks of babying that this new guy is not.
And yes...Log Leg stinks!! Surprisingly though, I can get out of bed on my own. I wasn't able to do that for several days after the last one. I do still need help getting in bed though.
Have I mentioned that ice is my best friend? :ice:

Aww, thank you. Hearing from all of you has made today, and the days immediately following this surgery, wonderful. It's such a blessing to be able to communicate with people who truly 'get it'. :)
 
I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving @DeepBreath! I'm so glad you got to go home and be with your family. I had to chuckle about your comment about making sounds like a 100+ year old person when maneuvering and trying to use the restroom for the first time at home because I did the same thing the first week or so, and also every time I would get out of bed because I would scoot down to the bottom and get off that way, and it felt like it took a lot of effort so I would involuntarily grunt & groan from the effort. My son's girlfriend asked him "is that your mom making those sounds??" :heehee:

I am so happy you are fully weight bearing on the new hip - that will make the world of difference these first few weeks. Isn't it interesting having to switch gears on which is the "good" hip or "bad" hip? The first couple days after my second surgery, I had to consciously think about which was which because the habit was so ingrained already to favor the first operated hip.

I hope your rash is getting better. You are smart to get a list of everything you have been given in the hospital so you can consult an allergist.

I had a rash on my face and chest flare up with both surgeries but I knew mine was seborrheic dermatitis which only surfaces when under extreme stress, and obviously our bodies go through much stress with these surgeries. Interestingly, the doctor in rehab suggested I use Selsun Blue or similar shampoo to wash my face and chest, and wouldn't you know it, it cleared the rash right up! All those years and dollars spent at the dermatologist on prescription creams, and here a doctor who isn't even a dermatologist recommends to wash with a shampoo and it worked like a charm!

So glad you are resting comfortably at home with plenty of ice. Your new memory foam mattress with adjustable base will have you snug as a bug in a rug and so much more comfy than those hospital beds!
 
Have I mentioned that ice is my best friend?
DeepBreath gets a gold star for following the mantras! Rest, rest and more rest. You have been through 2 major surgeries in a fair short space of time. Be good to yourself and don't stress about needing things to happen. You'll get there!
 
@Hipster Girl, first off, I LOVE your new avatar! Charlie Brown and his spindly little Christmas tree always touches my heart. :)
I LOL'd at what you said about the grunts and groans after surgery and what your son's girlfriend said. My husband keeps asking, "Uh, are you okay in there?" and not just about the bathroom issue. I find I'm making those sounds a LOT...bahahaha! :heehee: I assured him that I'm fine, but that the vocalization seems to help when trying to accomplish things. I'll have to make sure it doesn't become a habit though. :wink:
You are SO right about having to be super aware of which side is now the op side. It is amazing how quickly and deeply ingrained that becomes. I have to sit and consider which way to turn and exactly how to do it. I have actually wondered if maybe the added bit of pain I'm experiencing this time around is truly a God send because it does help me be protective of my new op side.
It's interesting that you mentioned having seborrheic dermatitis. I really think that I started developing that a couple of months prior to my first surgery. I had never experienced that before, but noticed that the skin between my eyebrows and down alongside my nose had become flaky and greasy. It intensified after my first surgery. The tip about Selsun Blue is awesome. I started using Oil of Olay Regenerist mini peel and microdermabrasion to combat it and it seems to be working well. Also, I've noticed that my face has become so much more oily all over lately. I did some research and it seems that can be pretty common during perimenopause...kind of reverting back to adolescent issues. The body is a wondrous and sometimes confusing organism. :)
I am SO loving my bed. It is like sleeping in a big old hug. I hardly slept at all the night before surgery and while in the hospital, but last night I got 7 solid hours of really deep, restorative rest and woke up feeling tons better this morning. I also made sure to nap this afternoon. :wink:
I am still experiencing dry mouth and have been drinking as much water as I possibly can and sucking on hard candy. Oxy seems to do that to me. I've switched to Tramadol and Tylenol, like last time, and hope the fuzzy, dry mouth clears up soon.
The rash issue is interesting. By this day post op, the last time, the rash had spread over my torso, hands, and legs. The arms broke out a bit later. I have no rash anywhere really except for the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. It itches just slightly, is a bit red, and feels irritated. I'm hoping that if peeling occurs, it is no worse than last time. My OS used the same antibiotic as last time because I guess it gives the best coverage against infection. The anesthesiologist said he might use an IV steroid to help combat any allergy issues though. I'm honestly not sure what was used (I'll ask at my 2 week follow up) but it is definitely presenting differently this time.

@Jaycey, I accept my gold star with pride! :) I'm so very thankful that I found Bonesmart and knew the mantra well going into my first surgery. It served me well last time and there is no way I would deviate from it this time. I purchased two more gel ice packs prior to this surgery so that I can have a steady supply for both hips, as my first op hip needs its share of icing too now that it is helping to support its buddy.
Rest is definitely key. Even though my first surgery was only 9 weeks ago; it is amazing how I had already forgotten the exhaustion that goes along with these first few days/weeks post op.
This morning I got up feeling great. I used the restroom, had breakfast, took my meds, did my morning hygiene, and then the visiting nurse came in and took vitals, looked at the incision, etc. By the time she left I was wiped out and gratefully took a fantastic nap. :)

So far, so good. Thank you for the good wishes! I hope you all had a terrific day. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You sound great, @DeepBreath! Wow...you had a visiting nurse come to your house? That's great. It's interesting to hear about your symptoms. I found that my hair got oily after this surgery. I think it was the meds and the stress. I don't get hot flashes, but I did have one in the hospital. The nurse came in and changed the sheets. She was really nice. I think the yoga keeps my hormones in balance.

That's great that you got extra gel packs. I started to run low on ice after my surgery. Fortunately, my neighbor came to my rescue. It's so important to have plenty. I know you've got a stockpile of meals prepared. I think it's great that you did that.

Are you using a walker? That really made things easier for me. I also had a commode the first few nights after I got home from the hospital. I only had to walk a few steps. It was really convenient.

Have you been able to shower? That's always such an incredible feeling. It seems like it washes away the negativity. Take care, friend. I'm proud of you!
 
So glad you are home!! I haven't been on here for a couple of days so just catching up. A roommate free hospital stay. ?? So happy for you. You are so right in remembering which is the good and bad leg once both are done. It's strange to reverse things at first. Funny how quickly the first recovering leg becomes your good one. I think in one way it helps because you kind of forget the first one is not your own once you focus on healing the second. So glad they are both done and you are on your way to full recovery.
 
haha....I'm glad you like my avatar @DeepBreath. I have always loved the Peanuts cartoon and their Christmas special. I actually did a search for it on my TV yesterday since it is a classic and it looks like it is available on DirecTV but they are charging for it, like a pay-per-view - I couldn't believe it; that is just so wrong...aargh :no-fin:

Oil of Olay Regenerist is what I use as well but I just use the mirco-sculpting cream. I will have to look for the mini peel and microdermabrasion as well since it sounds like it is also very good.

Regarding the rash, they put so many different things in the IV that it could be hard to pinpoint what causes the skin irritation. I still have some flakiness on my calves and feet that I have no idea what caused it but I had it last time too. It just seems like all these things take some time to work their way out of our systems.

I am so glad you got some really deep restorative sleep - that is wonderful this early on! There is nothing like a warm, cozy, comfy bed to help with this recovery!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Yes, I am so fortunate that our insurance covers in home nurse visits the first 3 weeks or so. This time, it will be once a week rather than twice a week, but it gives me peace of mind to have a professional take my vitals and especially look at my incision to check that all is as it should be.
I have the oily hair issue as well. I have cut way back on using any sort of conditioner because of that.
I give an absolutel thumbs up to having plenty of ice packs on hand. If I had to choose just one tool for getting through the first post op days, I think ice would be my choice. :)
Yes, I am using a walker. They are a God send when it comes to stability! I also have my 3 in 1 commode handy just in case. It seems that the first few days after having a catheter the urgency to go to the bathroom isn't as strong as usual, but when that swelling or whatever goes down...watch out! LOL
I took a sponge bath today, but hope to shower tomorrow. It is amazing how fantastic a shower can make you feel post op.
Thank you for the kind words, Friend. Your posts always make me smile and feel calm. :)

@Doodles51, you are spot on about how quickly the first hip/leg becomes the strong one. Although I did my simple exercises right along during my first recovery, I was a bit worried about that hip's ability to bear most of the work. It's a champ though and I truly do forget at times that it's been operated on as well.
I hope you are doing well and enjoyed Thanksgiving. Thanks for giving me a holler, Friend. :)
 
@Hipster Girl, no way! They were charging for 'A Charlie Brown Christmas'? That's just awful. That show, along with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and the Kris Kringle claymation special should always be free. I associate all of those with my favorite childhood Christmas memories. The Abominable Snowman from the Rudolph show used to scare the mess out of me. :)
I'll have to try the micro-sculpting cream. I love Oil of Olay. I think they work wonderfully and at a very reasonable price. I use the microdermabrasion and mini peel system once a week and it freshens and softens my skin so nicely.
You are so right about all the different things they put into IVs. I am also still dealing with the flakiness on my lower legs and feet. What on earth is up with that??? Every time I shower I use my long handled loofa on those areas, but there still seems to be some dryness. It definitely is a process getting through this journey, isn't it.
And finally, AMEN to the statement about a soft, cozy bed. I can do without a lot of things, but not a comforable bed. :)

Have a great evening, friend.
 
So good to hear how well you are doing, @DeepBreath! You are so brave to tackle your second hip so soon and I applaud your courage! You are a hippie star! I also second the favorites, ice and a comfy bed! Don't know what I'd do without my adjustable sleep number and ice. Like you, I never had any trouble with swelling and credit that to being able to adjust the bed with so little effort and sleeping with the legs elevated. I hope your increased confidence this time around brings healing even more quickly. I'm sure praying that's the case for you.
 
@DeepBreath I know right! All those Christmas shows you mentioned are classics and should always be free. I would even throw the Grinch Who Stole Christmas in there. They are all part of the Christmas tradition for so many families and I would hope that would continue with the next generation. I think the Charlie Brown Christmas is from the 1960's, and it never gets old. I have seen these shows on DVD so it might be cheaper just to pick up the DVDs rather than pay per view. DirecTV charging for these will be one more thing I mention when I call them to bargain my rate down.:)

I hear ya on the flakiness on the legs & feet....it is a mystery for sure. I am just glad we are in the colder months as there is no way I would put on a pair of shorts right now. People would think I have some kind of disease:heehee:

And I totally agree that the grunting & groaning and whatever other noises makes tasks easier, haha......I don't know what is up with that but I noticed the same thing, like it helps with the exertion. I have finally stopped making the noises. I think I stopped around week 3 or 4, so now we can have people over again without them looking at me all puzzled like :snork:
 
Hi Deep Breath, I learn so much from your posts. There are so many things covered by insurance that I wasn't aware of...this was my first time having a claim. (Well, except for a bike accident I had a year ago.) With this surgery I was kind of in the dark and on my own. Fortunately, my dad had saved my mom's walkers and commode from when she was fading, so I just asked him if I could borrow them. I went to the Salvation Army and bought a pair of crutches, but ended up not needing them. I didn't even get a cane. I thought I'd have to pay a percentage of all those things if I went through the insurance company, so I just tried to get things second hand. Same with PT. I'm on a really tight budget, so I decided to to do it myself.

Glad to hear you are doing well. I remember my system felt pretty saturated with chemicals after the surgery. They do pump us full of a lot of stuff to mask the pain. It sure beats the alternative, though! Thanks your updates. I always enjoy reading them.
 
@Southernbelle, you are such a sweetie. I'm not sure I would describe myself as brave; more just 'let's get this process over with!'. :wink:
How are you doing? You're coming up on your one month anniversary! I hope you're feeling great and are seeing the progress you want.
I am in full agreement with you about the wonderful adjustable beds. I give a lot of credit for my comfort during recovery to my bed. Sleeping with my legs elevated just feels so good. :)

@Hipster Girl, oh my gosh, how could I forget The Grinch?! That is a must-see for me every year. I watch all of those show at least once every year during the Holidays. I loved them as a child and enjoyed watching them with my kids as they grew. A favorite memory of mine is that my dear momma always called our Christmas turkey or ham (whichever she chose to make) the 'roast beast' like in the Grinch tale. It's silly little things like that, that are so special. :loveshwr:
You are absolutely right...A Charlie Brown Christmas is 50 years old this year! Can you believe it? We really did grow up with that show.

You and I look at things similarly, I think. I wear capri pants almost all year around unless it is super cold. I have had to dig out my long pants though to go out in public because I look like a hot mess with my flaky legs. I'm afraid someone would report me to the CDC if I tried to go into a restaurant with those nasty looking things. Lotion only seems to do so much to help them and then they're right back to flaky. So odd.
I am so glad that you have noticed you're not grunting and groaning any more. That means there is a light at the end of the tunnel! :)

Hi, @Hip Hip Hooray! :) I honestly knew next to nothing about what my insurance would cover re: my after care, health aids, etc. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I was eligible for home health visits and PT. I went out and bought quite a few things that I could have gotten free of charge through my insurance. Who knew?
I'm wondering if I'm not going to get a slap on the wrist this go around though. I have opted to not do home PT, but really wanted to have the home health nurse come out and evaluate me the first couple or three weeks.
Both that service and the PT are done through the same company. They seem very confused that I want the nurse service but not the PT. I got a sound scolding over the phone yesterday from the company director who told me she thought I was..."putting myself at risk by not getting at home physical therapy..."
I explained that I will be getting PT, but that it will be a few weeks down the road when that initial healing period is over and I am feeling ready for it. I told her my OS and I had discussed this at length. She still seemed peeved.
Maybe they really aren't supposed to offer just one service? I dunno. It'll all come out in the wash, I suppose. :)

Yes, regarding the 'saturated' feeling post surgeries! I feel chuck full of unnatural chemicals. While I know some of it is absolutely necessary, a tiny part of me worries about possible long term effects. I am striving to take the necessary meds for as short a time as possible. I do know that I couldn't be without my pain relievers though.
I keep telling myself that in a couple of months it will all be different. :)


Today has been a good day so far. I got up for longer than usual and made myself lunch since my husband and son went out to do some shopping. Now, by 'made lunch' I mean I grabbed one of those foil packs of tuna, an apple, and a bottle of water. :wink: Afterwards, I did the few dishes that were in the sink, boiled some eggs that are nearing their 'sell by' date so we can snack on them, AND was able to get myself back into bed all by my lonesome for the first time since surgery! They're small victories, but they give me hope. :)

I hope you all are doing great and are enjoying your weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh my dear @DeepBreath. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear you are doing so well and that your rash is minor, compared to what you had with your first surgery. It's a shame they couldn't figure out what caused it, in the first place, but it sounds like some of the preventative meds they gave you warded off the severity of the rash, thank goodness.
And isn't it wonderful to have a bed that just encompasses you in comfort. My sleep is extremely important to me and as you know, I perfected my nest where I was able to sleep through the night as soon as I got home. Sleep and a comfortable bed is #1 in my book, too! It is so important when you are healing and recovering.
I know what you mean about having a home health nurse come to your house to do your vitals and check on your incision. It was such a comfort to me when I had one, too. And, she was able to answer some questions I had, as well. She saved me a bunch of phone calls to my OS.
I hope you have a wonderful recovery day and are enjoying this beautiful weather. I know it's about to come to an end, unfortunately. Take care.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi, @Nana757! It's always such a treat to see your lovely avatar and a wonderful message from you. :)
I'm also really glad that the rash seems different this time. I am being cautiously optimistic that it will prove to be more easily dealt with this go around. I was truly concerned that it would be worse this time. I am anxious to see how the peeling goes. I am praying that it is less than or just the same as it was before. One day at a time though. :)
Your account of your bed nest in your recovery thread was one of the most comforting things to me post surgery last time. Like you, I need my rest. I knew that it was possible to navigate those post op weeks comfortably, thanks to you. That meant a lot to me.
I also rely on the advice and information given to me by my home nurse. They have been a God send, definitely.

I am enjoying this lovely day so much. Once again, all the windows are thrown open wide and we are loving the breeze. I can hear the chirping of bugs as I lie here typing and it is so restful.
Yep, it looks like we're in for some cooling down and wet weather, doesn't it? No complaints here though. These gifts of 70+ degree days can't be beat.
I hope you are enjoying them as well and that you're getting out doing some of your favorite things.
Take care, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
@DeepBreath I think sometimes these home health places do a one-size-fits-all approach and they fail to see us as individuals. Truthfully, I could have done without the home PT since I still had all my exercises from the first time. To me, it was a waste of time to have a home PT come to my home basically to watch me do my exercises that I was already doing by myself anyway. The only reason I stuck with it is because it was my surgeon's protocol and I was afraid if I didn't follow it, then he might not release me to go back to work, claiming I wasn't ready or something. Now that I am off the walker and on the cane is the time I could really stand to use some PT to teach me how to retrain my walking pattern. I did decline OT this time because I didn't think I needed it. Nothing had changed in my home from my OT visit the first go-around. They had me sign a waiver saying I was declining it.

I think if the home nurse is what you need right now, and you don't want to do PT at this point in time, they should respect your wishes. I know this sounds cynical but I really believe it's all about the money for some of these companies.

About the flakiness, I went to my hairdresser today for highlights and told her about it. She recently had surgery for carpal tunnel and told me she had that same weird flakiness and she attributed it to the anesthesia. She said hers took about 6 months to totally go away! Like I said, good thing winter is upon us, yowza! :flabber:
 
@Hipster Girl, I agree with you about the one-size-fits-all attitude of some of the home health places. I also don't see the problem with just using one portion of their services. Like you, I really don't need somebody coming to my home three times a week, watching me do my exercises, and then charging my insurance for that.
The last go around I didn't feel anywhere near 'normal' for 3+ weeks and I explained that to my OS. He seemed to understand perfectly and told me it was up to me what I wanted to do regarding PT.
I absolutely agree about it being about the money for a lot of companies. That's a shame.

That is interesting that your hairdresser had the same issue with skin flakiness. Yikes about it taking six months to resolve. No kidding that it's good we have the whole winter to cover up! :)

This evening, my husband and I worked together on dinner. We still had quite a bit of turkey, roasted vegetables, and gravy left over. I had him pick up some Grands biscuits from the store and we did a 'cheat' pot pie by mixing the leftovers together in a baking dish and then covering them with the biscuits and heating them up until it was golden and bubbly. It really hit the spot. :)
I'm feeling that exertion now though and am happily resting with my ice. :ice:
 
@DeepBreath, your reports sound so positive!! You are well on your way to a good, no, GREAT recovery.. :loveshwr:
the cheat pot pie sounds wonderful... can almost taste it and it's good!

I hope you have a great night's sleep.. as you well know.. things begin feeling good after those first few days. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom