THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you, @DeepBreath! I love how you are always taking positive action. You dinner sounds perfect. It's nice not to be stressed out and overworked with Holiday meals. I just bought some Mrs. Cubbinson's stuffing yesterday. I love it. My mom always made that with chopped celery, onion, butter,sage, and turkey broth. It was just delicious!

I know what you mean about avoiding germs before surgery. I did the same thing. There's such a build up...no point in taking any chances. I remember avoiding sick people at the jacuzzi the day before mine. Our self protective instincts kick in, I think.

You're on deck! It's very exciting. I love hearing about all of your preparation.
 
@Hipster Girl, I love that you bought yourself new furniture. What a wise move! We don't really think about it but good, sturdy furniture that is the correct height and has arms is a must. I had to jerry-rig my chair in the living room by putting some blankets under the seat cushion and adding a pillow on top of it to sit on. It's not pretty, but it works. :wink:
We also splurged on an adjustable bed. We'd been talking about it for quite some time as our old bed had been through at least 6 moves, to include back and forth overseas. We also wanted to upgrade to a king size.
We really lucked out and found a great deal during a Labor Day sale and were able to get it delivered in time for this last surgery. It really made all the difference in adjusting to life post op. I love to sleep and really need my full 8 hours to feel my best. Being able to control the elevation of my lower legs and torso was a huge comfort. I honestly don't really miss sleeping on my side any more...which is something I never thought I'd say.
Congrats on your son's job. :) It is a bummer you won't be able to celebrate Thanksgiving on the actual day, but I'm glad you'll be able to share a meal together in spite of that. Yum about the turkey breast from Honeybaked Ham. They have the BEST stuff! :)
Yeah, I really don't feel like I missed out on anything regarding the movie. My husband texted me to let me know the theater was packed and, as he put it, 'sounds like a TB ward in here with all the coughing...you'd be going NUTS!'
LOL! He really knows me. :heehee: It felt good to get all that stuff done.

@Hip Hip Hooray! Yum...I LOVE Mrs. Cubbinson's! That was my mom's 'go-to' as well. :)
I love how you said that I'm 'on deck'. That's just what it feels like. Here's hoping I knock it out of the park! :)
Any word on the audition? I'm sending good thoughts out for you!


Dinner turned out so good! My fellas pitched in and helped out so much today, so the work was really light. All the laundry is done, my hospital bag is packed, all paperwork is filled out. I just polished off a small piece of both kinds of pies we had this year; pumpkin and cherry crumble. YUM!
I'm going to take my shower this evening so I'll be ready to head out for my pre op appt tomorrow morning after my son goes off to school. I look forward to a cozy night's sleep in my nice, warm bed.
I hope all of you are doing well. Sending out good thoughts for everybody! :flwrysmile:
 
Good luck with pre opp thingamabob. You are the organised one aren't you. Brilliant posts lass

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@DeepBreath isn't the adjustable bed da bomb?! I LOVE the zero gravity position and cannot believe how comfy it is, and like you, I find I don't even miss sleeping on my side (or stomach) since I got this bed. I got mine around the same time as you - a little before Labor Day and got a great deal on it. Which frame did you get? There's lots of good ones out there but I ended up with the Serta Motion Perfect. I love everything about it except the remote doesn't light up until I press a button so sometimes I end up pressing the wrong one in the dark but other than that, I love it! It was a splurge item but I figure we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed, and I once heard some wise person say the two things in life we should not scrimp on are 1) beds and 2) shoes. :yes:

Boy, aren't you glad you decided not to go to the movies and be around all that coughing? Yowza, I sure would not want to be around any of that right before surgery! :sick: You did good to stay home.

Glad to hear your meal turned out yummy & that you had nice early Thanksgiving celebration with your family! Pumpkin and cherry crumble sounds so good! I've always thought pies are the best part of the Thanksgiving meal. :)

I'm sure everything will go great at your pre-op today and wow, Surgery Day is tomorrow already! You are a pro at this now and you are going to do awesome!! Tons of prayers and good thoughts being sent your way from your fellow hippies! What time is your surgery?
 
I should have listened to more of the prep ideas.. I did get a Reacher and a 3 in 1 bedside commode / shower chair / commode extension with arm rest. It's definitely much easier to sit down and get up. But here's what I didn't do that I will do next time for the other leg, I will shave the operating side of my leg and both hands at the wrist because having them take off the IV tape wasn't fun lol. I should look into some type of adjustable bed. an old flat bed with box spring is definitely not comfortable for rehab .. Overall things are going pretty smoothly other than this being my 4th day and my leg swelling up like a balloon but it's not painful it's just stiffer.. they put on that anti wet bandage for showers and I woke up this morning and it was like a balloon filled with blood doc told me to come in and they change the dressing and said well it happens

2 THR19th August 2015 2ND un scheduled
pin left leg 2012
spinal fusion L4-L5 L5-S1 2010
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sending you good wishes for a problem free surgery (and roommate :heehee:). You'll wiz right on through this next one!

I managed to move up my follow up appointment to tomorrow so will see what my other hip looks like and if it will be replaced next month.

Kristi
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Yes, I'm sure you're going to knock this one out of the park. It's such a relief when the surgeries are completely done. You have such a great attitude. I'm sure you'll heal quickly.

I love Mrs. Cubbinson's, too. It's very popular in Southern California. My grandma used to bring it up to my mom in San Mateo, because they didn't sell it in Northern California. It's funny how we get so attached to our special brands and traditions.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow and saying prayers. You are ready! Oh...and I haven't heard anything back on the show, but that's typical. I did email them yesterday with a thank you. I also told them that I speak Spanish and have done a couple of shows in German. (Just in case they have an opening in one of those countries. The show is everywhere!)
 
@DeepBreath
Stopping by to wish you the very best for tomorrow.
This is your final step to shiny hip heaven!
Please update us when you can.. ?
Aiyee! I'm so excited for you....

You've got this girlfriend!
 
@Legin, thank you. :) Being called 'lass' makes me feel like a youngin'.

@Hipster Girl, yes, I love our adjustable bed. I feel it has made all the difference my recovery, really. We got a pretty basic base. It's a split king so we can each control our own sides and we have the memory foam mattress, middle/high firmness. It's like going to sleep in a great big hug every night. :)
I do the same thing as you and often hit the wrong button, LOL. I'll think, "Oops, that's not where I want to go!"
That's a good saying about not scrimping on beds or shoes. We've been debating this purchase for a few years and I'm sure glad we did it.
I am definitely glad I didn't go to the movies. I wouldn't have enjoyed it with the crowds and coughing.
I agree with you about the pies being the best part of Thanksgiving dinner...a close second to mashed potatoes. :wink:
Thank you for the good thoughts! I'm on deck for my surgeon's first procedure of the day. Check in is at 6:30 and surgery should start around 7:30. Time to get this DONE! :)

@mrbionic, I think we all learn as we go along. I got things prior to my first surgery that I haven't even touched and there are some things I wish I had gotten as well. Good point about the shaving. I guess that would hurt like the dickens if it was pulling hair out!
I'm glad you're doing well. The swelling will go down in time, even if it doesn't feel like it now. Hang in there. :)

@kktoland, yaaay for you moving up your appointment! I can't wait to hear what they have to say about your next surgery. Fingers crossed for you! :) Thank you for the good wishes.

@Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you for the good thoughts and kind words. I do feel ready for this surgery and am hoping all goes smoothly.
I'm sending out good vibes that you hear something soon about the show. How fun would it be for you to tour internationally again?! If you happen to have any shows close to me, I'd love to come see you. Please keep me posted as you find out info! If you do happen to tour in Germany I know my daughter would love to go see the show.

Thank you all for the good thoughts, Friends. I'll do my best to update ASAP. I'll carry your well wishes with me into surgery tomorrow. :flwrysmile:
 
@CricketHip, thank you so much, Friend! I appreciate all your help and support. I will definitely keep you updated! :)
 
@DeepBreath, don't know if you will be up late and online, but I want you to know you have been on my heart all day today, and I'm already praying for your surgery, your care, and your recovery. I've spent the past 2 days fighting a tummy bug, so not upright much, but just didn't want you to head into surgery without my well wishes. I think you were wise to skip the movie, as I believe I picked up this bug at the Southern Christmas Show, something we did just to get me out of the house. Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted and it's almost a memory. Sounds like you have some shiny, clean floors waiting for you when you get home : ). Look forward to hearing that you are on the mend and without any tippy-toe restriction this time! Sending you gentle hugs and happy thoughts! Debra
 
Good luck lass, good spirit you have

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
@Southernbelle, thank you so much. I'm sending out healing vibes for you. Tummy bugs are no fun!

@Akshia, thank you for the good thoughts. I hope you're feeling good today. :)

@Legin, thank you so much, friend. I appreciate your support.

@Jaycey, thank you! I can feel the supportive spirit. Thank you for all your help. :)

@Rubadub, thank you so much! :)

It is a little after 7:00 and I am all checked in and am just waiting to go back to the pre op holding area.
Thank you all so much for your caring support. It's a huge comfort and confidence builder.
I'll update as I can. :)
 
Wishing you lots of luck @DeepBreath.Sorry I got mixed up and thought that you were having surgery yesterday but I see today is your big day.Very soon you will have two new hips and on the road to getting your life back.Thinking of you
 
Wishing you the best for a successful and uneventful surgery. By now, I'm thinking you should be on your way to recovery. I'm thinking about you sweetie, with prayers coming your way.
 
Hope you are in your room by now, @DeepBreath, with lots of pain relief on board and a VERY quiet roommate! Thinking of you and praying for restful days and nights. You are so kind to so many here and I hope everyone you encounter there is that way to you and meeting any need you have without delay. Look forward to a good report, once you are able to post.
 
Can't stop thinking about you! Hopefully you are in recovery and smiling at some good news about that hip.
Prayers continue...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom