THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with all the others .. rest, rest and more rest! Pamper yourself and everything will get better with time.
 
Hi Deep Breath

I haven't been on here lately, so sorry to hear you are having a tough time of it. If you can, :sleeep: through it. Sleep is all I want.

Sending love
Bettejo
 
Hi Everybody :) Wow, how overwhelming to read all these wonderfully compassionate messages. 'Thank You' doesn't seem to be enough to express my gratitude. It is lovely to know there are people who truly get the ups and downs and are there to support other members. You all rock!

@Hipster Girl, you're right about just having to go with the flow and feel the feelings. It's not always going to be sunshine and roses, but in the end we have a more active life with less pain to be thankful for and that is a fantastic thing. I hope your first days back at work are going well and that you're not feeling too tuckered out at the end of the day. I am keeping you in my thoughts.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I loved your quote from Yogi Bhajan. It is true and it is life. I do think menopause can play a big role in this process for some of us. I've noticed over the last year or so I am getting more into the super emotional part of that. Hopefully I will be like my mom and sister and be done with all of that in my early 50's.
***So sorry about the italics. I hit some key on my keyboard and it started doing that. I cannot figure out why.

@Jaycey, you are so right about it being early days. Patience is key. Thank you for all your hard work on this site. You are greatly appreciated!

@Doodles51, it is exciting that we are coming up on the season of wonderful Christmas shows. They never fail to make me smile.
Although I kind of dread the start of PT because I anticipate it being drawn out and painful, I know I have to go through it to make this a fully worthwhile endeavor. I keep telling myself 'One step at a time'.

@Constanze, thank you for enouragement. :) I'm surprised there are not more Germans on here as well. We lived in Germany twice. The first time we lived in Gelnhausen. This most recent time we lived in Ansbach. I so loved living in Germany and find that I am still having kind of a rough time adjusting to American life. My friends on Facebook are posting pictures of their trips to the Weihnachtsmarkt and it makes me miss it all over again. Christmas is magical in Germany. One of the benefits I hope to get from undergoing these surgeries is to be able to visit my daughter and the dear friends who are still there. I really look forward to that. :)

@CricketHip, as always, you are such a kind friend. Thank you for being so awesome. I appreciate your willingness to be a sounding board regarding PT.

@Kim22, I hear you about needing a break. It's not the forum at all, but rather just the whole process becomes overwhelming at times. Taking a step back and taking a few breaths is imperative. I hope you are doing well.

@Akshia, thank you for your helpful post. I hope you are doing well and that your recovery is going smoothly.

@Nana757, you are such a sweetie. Thank you for your support. I have been reluctant to think about PTSD in regards to my situation...I think because of my connection to the military and always being aware of the Wounded Warrior projects that are so much a part of that life. I have to remind myself that PTSD comes in many forms though. These are life changing procedures we go through and it does take getting used to.
Thank you for reminding me of that. :)

@kktoland, you are so right that rest is paramount. I think I was pushing a bit too hard. My physical self was responding more quickly this time, but my emotional self was struggling to keep up. I forgot that just 'being' is the best prescription sometimes.

@zachs mema, I hope you are doing well! I have been thinking of you and sending out good thoughts that your recovery is going smoothly. Thank you for your support. :)

@Rubadub, thank you so much. I hope you are doing well. I appreciate your encouragement.


The past couple of days have been better. I've been taking it a little bit easier. I'm not sure what the difference is in what my OS and anesthesiologist did this go around, but my physical reaction to whatever I have an allergy to has been a bit different. I don't know if that somehow plays into the emotional reaction as well or what.
My really bad day found me with a horribly irritated mouth and palms of my hands, as well as diarrhea (sorry...TMI). It felt like whatever was in my system was trying to force its way out using whatever means necessary. The very next day my mouth started feeling much better and the palms of my hands started to peel. My overall outlook was so much better.
The peeling skin process has been a bit more intense this time around, possibly because the first go around was such a short time ago. It is following the same timeline as last time, but my hands are more tender. I'm being very conscious of keeping my hands super clean and applying Neosporin regularly throughout the day.
All of this has made me determined to get detailed information about what I've been given throughout both surgeries and working with an allergist to figure out exactly what I'm allergic to and hopefully prevent it from happening again.

So, things are looking up and I'm taking all of your great advice to heart and allowing myself to rest and go with the flow.
I hope you all are well and that December is treating you well. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you, @Hip Hip Hooray! that is kind of you to say. I'm not sure how wise I am, but I'm just trying to get through it as best I can. :)
Yes, the skin peeling thing is just...ick. Thankfully it seems to go quickly and my skin soon toughens up so it's not so sensitive.
This is not my hand, but it is roughly what my hands look like right now.
In the next couple of weeks, my feet will slough their skin as well.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty
    image10.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 243
Please get a list of what you got in the hospital and when you are well enough see a good allergist preferably university based. The second reaction was more intense than the first and the next one can be even worse. Oral membranes being affected is never good and ur gi system was also affected hence the diarrhea. It's going to be a matter of avoidance of whatever is causing this but it needs to be figured out. As you are having some skin break down, keep an eye on your temperature and any sign of open sores etc. go see your PMD. You don't want to develop any infections from this after your hip surgeries. I'm not saying to scare you dear just wanting you to be vigilant.
 
so glad to read your update. it's definitely a systemic reaction and you are being very wise to take some time to rest and recover. Your poor hands and feet! Do you have any sort of rash around your incision? Do you have mush swelling in that leg? It's still only been, what? Just 8 days? Hopefully you will sleep well tonight.
Speaking of sleep, I've been extremely tired today. So glad I can set my schedule to allow for a nice break in between sessions.. it sure was needed today.

sleep well!! :alarm:
 
I had exactly the same on my foot shedding of skin it did pass tho

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Deep Breath

You have been in my prayers. You are so uplifting, but please remember we're here for the good, the bad, and the ugly. We are all experiencing this. Not an easy road to climb with a walker. My daughter came over today, I tend to get a bit more excited, and more active when I see my little grand daughter. Trust me, I am paying for it dearly. :swoon:I find myself even with a stabilizer on me, I try to kick it off during sleep, I have crossed legs and at one time thought I was riding a bicycle with my legs. :bawl:I feel like I'm setting myself up. The pain has been awful, I refuse to take break through pills. It's just a me thing. How have I gained around eight pounds? I'm barely eating, and this was taken after surgery. :shrug: Apparently my hip was my funny bone, as I haven't been even the slightest bit amusing. :cry: Being funny is who I am.

Be well my friend, know you have many keeping you in their thoughts and prayers. :angel:
 
@Akshia, no worries about the fear thing. I greatly appreciate the mention of the precautions. My OS also thinks I am experiencing Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
This morning I found several articles about Erythema Multiforme, which pretty much sums up exactly what I've been going through. This is my third bout with it; the first being in 2001 after a D&C, the second with my THR in September, and now this one.
I will definitely be getting a complete list of everything given to me related to my surgeries and seeking out an allergist and/or dermatologist to help me figure out what is causing this.
I am acutely aware of how lucky I am that this has not been more severe. The extreme cases of this can cause death...Holy Cow!
Luckily, I am a bit of a germaphobe to begin with, so I have gone into hyper-vigilant mode in dealing with the peeling. I wash my hands often with Hibiclens and am also keeping a thin coat of triple antibiotic ointment on them. I really want to figure out what is causing this.

@CricketHip, I hope you got some good rest last night, friend. How are you doing with being back at work? I'm sure even easing back into the working world is tiring. Healing does take a lot out of us!
Nope, no rash around the incision. It's looking really good and I have my little home health nurse coming out twice per week and checking on me. As with the last surgery I have been very lucky not to have swelling or bruising.
Also, with this go around of the rash saga, I did not experience the rash on my torso, arms, and legs. It seemed to be my hands, feet, mouth, nose, and eyes. I will be going to see my eye doctor in the near future to get his take on how this has affected my eyes.

@Legin, hello friend! :wave: How are you doing? I hope all is well with you. I'm sorry to hear you had the peeling on your foot. There are such odd things than can occur medically.

@zachs mema, I am happy you got to enjoy time with your daughter and granddaughter, but sorry that you ended up in pain.
Your 'active' sleep sounds like my mother. She was forever doing movements in her sleep that would cause mysterious bruising (likely wacking her arms and legs against her foot and headboards) and various aches and pains. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? I wonder if there is something you could be given to calm you during sleep?
I'm sure the pain is awful. :( I do understand the aversion to taking so many meds after a surgery, but I am concerned about your ongoing recovery if you are battling such terrible discomfort. This process takes so much out of us and even more so if we are in pain. May I ask what you've been prescribed and why you don't want to take it? I know for me that the Oxycodone I was given in the hospital had me so loopy I was uncomfortable with it (I also wondered if it was the cause of my irritated mouth, which I have actually ruled out this go around).
Anyway, my doctor prescribed Tramadol for me to take in conjunction with Tylenol. I tolerated that combination much better.
I don't mean to sound bossy or intrusive. I just hate to think of you being in pain and having it make your recovery more challenging than it needs to be. Please take good care of yourself. I appreciate your good thoughts and prayers. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, It's so interesting to hear how everyone responds to the different medications. I needed a break through drug the first night, and for me it was a God send. I felt immediate relief, and was able to sleep and heal. Same with the Oxycodone. It was just just like a miracle for me. I guess I was really lucky. I was nervous about becoming dependent on them, but I only needed the break through drug once, and I was able to taper off the others fairly quickly. I had the Tramadol, too.

I'm glad you're having someone help you with the rash. It concerns me. Our poor bodies...this is a lot to go through. It's such a balancing act with the pain, meds, and side effects. I'll keep saying prayers for you. I'll have to go back and read the beginning of your thread. I think I came in midway.

Take care of yourself, my friend. I'm sorry you're going through this. Two surgeries is intense.
 
@DeepBreath I am really sorry you are having to go through this. Like @Hip Hip said, two surgeries is very hard on our bodies, especially in such a short span of time. I am glad you are getting a list of medications together to get to the bottom of it to prevent future recurrences.

I wonder what would happen if you tried a thick coat of Vaseline on your hands and put a pair of socks over them and slept like that for one night, if that would help any? I know that helps me with very dry wintry hands but I don't know if if would provide any relief for you or not. Might be worth a try?

Take good care of yourself. It's good to see you posting.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I have been catching up a bit just now and wanted to let you know that you've been on my mind and heart. I had a hard time recognizing all of you with your new avatars! So cute, too! I'll have to see what I can find.
I'm so sorry I missed sending some cavvie pics when you had a hard day or two, but I have been praying for you. I do have a couple of funny videos of Lila when she climbed over the 4-ft. gate and unlocked her giant crate (back when we thought she might adjust to one.) As I read your posts, I was noting how incredibly well you were doing and I wonder if you may have pushed a bit much for a couple of days and it caught up with you. I simply can't believe how much you've been able to do so soon! I also think you are right on target with the chemicals leaving your body and how that affects one, along with the trauma, the fact that you had two surgeries so close together, and the onset of the holidays, etc., etc. Couldn't we make a long list? The mention of basically going through amputations really hit me! I think we tend to underestimate all we go through with this surgery, a LOT!
Your makeshift pot pie sounded so good! I put the leftover turkey through the foodsaver and froze it, made stock from the carcass, so maybe a bit of all that will make for one of those one day soon. : ) I'm having a hard time coming up with food I'm in the mood for.
I hope you will be attentive to get enough rest and pace yourself. I know I'm quite the slowpoke with recovery, but do take care of you. And, don't deny that you are very brave to take all this on. I'm sure your emotions are bound to catch up with you a bit. Mine sure have, and I've had 1/2 the surgeries you have. Praying you rest well this evening!
 
:happyfeet: just peeking in to see how your day is going.. soon you will look like my little friend here to the left.

:flwrysmile: hope you are having a good day.
 
Howdy, @CricketHip. :wave: You know, figure wise I do kind of resemble your little friend. :heehee: I'm doing much better. Today I am getting things wrapped up and boxed for my daughter's Christmas package. Fun!
I hope you are doing good as well, friend. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! I have also been concerned about the addictive qualities of some of the medications. I figure I'll use them for the shortest time possible and wean off the wisest way I can though. I'd hate to think of trying to navigate major surgery without proper pain management.
Yes, I am concerned about the medicine allergy as well. There's just nothing to do but to work diligently with a good allergist to identify what has caused this and then be careful to always avoid it. I'm extremely lucky that I did not have an extreme reaction. I thank God every day for sparing me.
Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts. They certainly help. :)

@Hipster Girl, thank you for your care and concern too, friend. I appreciate y'all's words of encouragement. They mean the world to me.
Hey, great minds! I have been doing the ointment and socks on the hands at night. :) I clean my hands really well after my nighttime face washing, teeth cleaning, etc routine and then slather the triple antibiotic ointment on them and slip on the socks. It is helping. My hands are much less sensitive than they were just a couple of days ago. :)

@Southernbelle, aww, no worries about the cavvie pics. It is lovely to see your avatar with sweet doggy's face and read your kind words. Yes! I am loving the Christmas avatars as well. Hip Hip, Hipster, and I had been talking about the great, classic shows we enjoyed as children and I guess it got us thinking about our favorite characters. I'd love to see what your Holiday avatar would be. :)
You and the others are so right. Two major surgeries is a lot (one is a lot!) and I think it just kind of snuck up on me. I feel like I was very lucky the last go around, as I only had tiny blips here and there. In the grand scheme of things, this one was not too terrible. I just had to feel it and get through it. I am feeling so much better now.
You are probably right about me pushing it a bit this time. I don't know why, but this time around is just different. I am able to do so much more this time than I was last time. I know that the anesthesiologist mentioned that he might give me a bolus of steroids to try to offset an allergic reaction. Perhaps that is part of why I am feeling the way I am and had that intense, but blessedly short lived, blip. After that, I feel like I have leveled out a bit.
Nah, I don't think you're a slowpoke at all. We all have to do this in our own good time and I know last time I was much more reserved than this time, but it's what felt right to me.
How are you doing? Is your son still there? Do you have Holiday plans? Could I ask any more questions??? :wink:

I hope all my hippie buddies are having a good day and will be enjoying a great upcoming weekend. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I know, I can't imagine doing this surgery without the pain management. Especially if we think back to how they did things in the olden days...ugh.

Glad you got your daughter's package wrapped. That's good news about the ointment. It sounds like you are healing. Take care, and have a great weekend!
 
Hi there @DeepBreath, so happy you are feeling better! This is a process and sometimes we take some steps forward, then a step or two backwards, but as long as we are taking more steps forward than backwards, we are moving in the right direction. An occasional setback is just part of this process but it's all good. :yes:

Glad your hands are a bit better. Hope they are continuing to improve and didn't bother you too much when you were wrapping your gifts.

Have a great evening - you are probably enjoying one of your yummy dinners! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom