Guest viewing is limited

Decisions, decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
dede62, I've been having some terrible sleep for the last couple of weeks, but last night slept through, 8 hours! Feeling much better today. 5 working days to go - again.

sandybeach, good luck for Tuesday! I'm right in the middle of both of your ops. Best wishes for the second one too, not sure i'll be with it enough to wish you good luck then. :) it will be lovely to enjoy a summer without pain. We are lucky here, winter will be coming in a month or so and although it gets cold and rains a lot, there is no snow where I live, which means beach walks etc are still on the agenda, albeit with a few more layers on!
 
Five more working days... Hang in there, the beach will be calling when you are recovered enough. It was one of my goals to get the sand between my toes.. It was wonderful!

SO has a photo of me at the waters edge, beautiful clear blue water and gentle surf washing over my feet, arms outstretched.. Saying look at me! He has it on his main screen on his phone...

Not long now Kiwi :)

We have had rain, rain and more rain and the temps are dropping.. Must admit I am dreading winter this year..

So looking forward to seeing your first update from recovery.. Tag me :)
 
Hi octopus
İ also had trouble to sleep for weeks before the surgery and I could not help the anxiety getting worse as the date got closer.
When I look back I realize I made myself miserable but could not help it.

İ took some tranquillizers (diazepam derivatives) at night just for 3-5 days prior to surgery and it helped me to sleep at night though there was a hangover affect in the morning.
İ will be with you on the 5th.
Cheers
Selin
 
Poppet, love the photo idea, will get some of those!

Hi Selin, sansabosa, thanks for the encouragement and the sleeping suggestion. I have a few sleeping pills left from something else, I'll try those, but perhaps not until the weekend.

Bring on next Tuesday. I'm so tired now. I think it's the heat & humidity too. Poppet, it must be a relief to have a change in the weather, how are the fires now? Our fire risk is now extreme and there is still a total fire ban in place for the greater Auckland area including the islands in the Hauraki Gulf. I must admit, I'd rather be too hot than too cold.
 
Hiya Diane

I've just been downloading some photos from my camera and thought I would send this one to you in case you are in need of a bit of cheering up:
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions


These are growing in my garden just now - it seems so strange that you have an extreme fire risk and we are just searching out the first signs of spring! As you can tell, I'm not used to communicating with people on the other side of the world!
Anyway, how are you doing? I haven't been in touch for a while because something has happened to my email alerts and I don't get them anymore. I thought things had been strangely quiet so went direct to the forum and of course there's been lots going on - just not getting to my inbox! Has going back to work helped at all to make time pass a bit more quickly? Is the sleeping any better? I wasn't good with sleeping towards the end but at least I wasn't having to get up and go to work. I went to my GP and was given some diazepam - just for the last week - and it did help. I also had some whilst I was in hospital after the op but that was it. I'd never taken tranquilizers before and haven't since but was grateful for that extra bit of help when I needed it.

Lots of hugs for my Kiwi friend
UK Diane xxxxxxxxxx
 
lovegardening

Hi Diane, I'm pleased you're back, missed you. Thanks so much for the flowers, (they are gorgeous), and the hugs!

The dry weather looks set to continue for another two weeks. A drought has been declared from just north of where I live to the top of the north island. This enables farmers to get government assistance for loss of income. Other regions may follow suit in the next few days. Today a man lost his life in a shark attack at one of our local beaches.

Being back at work has helped me save some leave but the time is dragging by. It's been such a long week. I took some stronger pain killers last night which enabled me to have a better nights sleep. I'm just trying to keep things low key at work. It's been relatively quiet, I think it's got to do with it having been Chinese New Year for the previous two weeks (I'm involved in the importing and shipping of our product). But whatever it is, I'm grateful. Tomorrow I do some more training with the temp which will help to pass the time. I finish on Friday, then I've got to face all those nerves again. :yikes:

How are you doing?

Best wishes!
 
I phoned the hospital today to get confirmation of my surgery next week. Yes, the implant has arrived and I am scheduled second on the list, so an early check in of 7am for me. But it's made it all the more real - again. I'm feeling scared and weepy this evening, and want to cancel and run the other direction!
 
octopus ... Oh dear friend, perfectly normal to feel this way.. Have a good cry and then start to picture all the activities and living you will be doing without the pain.. It is so close now.. Hang in there :)

lovegardening, what a beautiful array of flowers.. Would you do me a really big favor and post a photo of them on my thread please.. I am trying to focus on Spring 7 months away, just like Diane (both in the same region) and was posting about spring and bulbs on my thread a few moments ago.. That would be very cool for me :) https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/girl-from-oz-i-love-my-os.12374/page-94#post-422709
 
octopus
Tuesday will soon be there and you will start a new life on the 5h of March, not even the 6th!
Are you done with the check list?
 
sansabosa

Hi Selin, just last minute things to check off. I feel more prepared, but somehow more nervous. One more day of work today.
 
Do you need to go to work on this last day of the week?
Just spoil yourself with a massage therapy before the operation.İt helps a lot.
My prayers will be with you on the 5th
 
Hiya Diane
I just wish that you didn't have to go through all the dreadful anticipation again but feeling scared and weepy is a completely natural response. I was looking through some notes that I had written and came across this - my reaction to my (grown up) children leaving and getting back to their own lives after Christmas:

The Christmas bubble burst, back to reality and the op so much nearer now. Last night just thought 'What the hell am I even thinking of', 'this is insanity', 'no way I'm going to go willingly into this'.

But I did - and honestly it was the best decision I have ever made. Already, life is so much better than it was and it just continues to get even better. So, screw up your courage and the worst bit - all the waiting will soon be over. Here's something that helped me at the time - better reference it - it's taken from the book Heal your Hips by Robert Klapper and Lynda Huey. He is an orthopedic surgeon and has this to say:

You elected to undergo implant surgery for various reasons: to return to your pleasurable activities, to sleep without pain through the night, or to be able to walk well again, among other concerns. Disability in a hip joint causes possibly the most severe life limitations of all joint dysfunctions. When you're able to return to your normal life with a hip joint that functions fully without pain, your days will feel like a legitimate miracle. The implant will make a huge difference in the quality of your life. Deciding to choose this option is a huge undertaking, but one with great rewards. Of all the surgical procedures studied by researchers, the highest satisfaction rate comes from hip implant patients.
Your life will be returned to you to enjoy.

I found that very reassuring and encouraging and I hope you do too. Hang on in there my friend - really not long now.
As always, lots of hugs for you

UK Diane xxxxxxxxxx
 
Hi octopus, this is the horriblest of times...the waiting, the nerves are going crazy but just try to focus on how lovely it is going to be to be free from pain. It is worth it honestly. We are all rooting for you.

Take care

Ann
 
sansabosa Thanks for your prayers Selin. I have a lovely massage booked for Monday and I thought I might see a movie as well. The last day of work was not too bad, although I was not paying much attention and made a dumb mistake, but easily fixed. Found myself just sitting staring into space, more than a few times today.

lovegardening Hi Diane, thanks for sharing those words, they are lovely and encouraging. Yes, have totally felt the 'what the hell am i doing?' I do have a lot of courage and determination. There is no way I would contemplate not doing this, but it is one of the scariest things I have done.

Anniepops Thanks so much Ann!
 
Hmm let's see, it's Thursday night for me now, so it must be Friday evening for you. I hope you can have a relaxing weekend before your surgery. I went on my first "official" hike last weekend and will post pictures this weekend. It was so great to get back out on the trail! Plus we discovered a nice little restaurant on the way back. You have lots to look forward to after surgery, so focus on that. :) Work has been very busy for me, so I haven't had much time to post, but things are going well. You will be so happy once you are done with the surgery. This is quite a disjointed post, but it's late here. Going to bed now :sleep:
 
nerdgrrl The hike sounds wonderful, wow, I haven't done that in ages. That's certainly something to look forward to, and walking the length of some of the beaches I love. I'm not planning to do much this weekend, just pottering about getting last minute things done. Having dinner with friends tomorrow night, maybe a movie, and then my wonderful massage on Monday. The spa is next to a garden centre, so I'll take a few minutes to look at their lovely gift section, they have such beautiful things there, as well as all the plants. Glad to hear things are going well. I have a new boss starting while I am away, so it will be an interesting return to work. I look forward to seeing the pics of your hike!
 
Thanks honey... Enjoy that massage, that is special :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
I heard you're checking into the hospital for a new hip come Tuesday. I just wanted to wish you all the best. I'll be looking forward to your first post from the "other side". We do make allowances for being under the influence of drugs when you post. Don't forget that you'll need to start a new thread in the Hip Replacement Recovery area and be sure to pick a title that will fit your whole recovery.

Take care of yourself----we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Decisions, decisions
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom