Guest viewing is limited

TKR Daystar's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, you just don't appreciate how important it is to poop till ya can't, LOL!! I've yet to go myself even though they gave me stool softeners twice a day. I'm home now and already on my Miralax.

Today is Thursday July 31, 2014
​
Yes, keep an eye on that temperature. I need to reread my stuff but I think it said a fever over 101.5 to call especially if you have too much warmth and redness around incision and especially if it is oozing anything other than a little blood or clear fluid.

Were you in a lot of pain when the PT was walking you? Did you feel light headed or dizzy? When you stand up after sitting or lying down for awhile do it very slowly, especially if you have been lying down. From a lying position, sit first and wait a minute or so and then stand slowly. Get your bearings before you begin to walk.

I hope you feel better soon! :console2:
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks for the white board sign! :loll:(Hey calm down, buddy, it's not THAT funny.)

The thing about the incision is that I can't see it. My OS uses glue and absorbable sutures/staples. They changed the dressing at the hospital yesterday, and this dressing is supposed to stay on for 7 days. I would rather have regular sutures or staples than glue, but I didn't think I was going to argue about it.

Yes, I have a lot of pain when I'm walking. Some of the nausea is related to faintness.
 
Today is Friday, August 1st, 2014
(Don't feel bad, I keep thinking it is Saturday)
​
Good morning Cindy! I hope you are feeling better today. I'm glued too but was told to check the covering (being held on/in by my ted hose) daily and if it has blood or other ick on it to change it. They sent me home with a bag full of pads to put on it. I was told I could shower as long as the incision is dry. I haven't looked yet today but it has had one very small bloody spot at the very top of the incision. It was just raised up a bit for the first day or two and then started oozing just a tiny bit. I sure hope I can shower today. I imagine it would be like heaven, if I can get my leg over the edge of the tub. No walk in showers here :no-fin: If I can't I may have to go to our son's to shower until I can. :blackcloud:

How is your anxiety doing? Hugs!!
 
@Daystar sounds like they don't have you on the right pain meds! Might want to contact your doctor.

@gr82cu2 we got the type grip bar that attaches to the side of the tub. Hubby can grip it to balance and swing his leg over. A walk in shower would have been a lot better.
 
Gr82cu2 a tip Josephine have me as I had a disastrous first shower and full blown panic attack. I do not have a walk in either bu had a shower bench. I panicked because I could not lift my leg out once I managed to get in. Sit on the bench in the bathtub and use a leg lifter to get your leg in and out! Worked great!

@Daystar please call your doctor. You need to be medicated properly to function the first few weeks especially. You just might need an anti nausea medication. Also watch your temperature! We care!
 
@gr82cu2 @tiredwife I'm so glad we got the walk-in shower. There could be a problem somewhere down the line because we don't have a bathtub now, if we should need to sell the house, but we aren't going to worry about that. I didn't get any spare dressings, and the instructions are to leave it on for 7 days, which takes me one day short of my first appt with OS. It looks like it's waterproof, but we put my leg in a trash bag yesterday. It looked dry when I was done. Temp is normal today. I am having anxiety, partly because my sciatica from the car accident is worse, which I was afraid would happen. I need to lie on my side, but I haven't been able to do that yet. I need to take a Klonopin.

@Jamie I finally got my hands on my med bottles. The only thing I am taking is OxyContin 10 mg one every 12 hours. I also have oxycodone 5 mg take 1 or 2 tablets every three hours as needed for severe pain. I took these in the hospital but haven't taken them at home. I think that is what upset my stomach at the hospital, but they never gave me anti-nausea meds before I took the pain pills, so I don't know if the Compazine would prevent the nausea if I took it 15 minutes or so before taking the oxycodone 5 mg (IR). I can take the Compazine 3 times a day.
 
:elevate::elevate:@Daystar
I am lieing here in bed reading your posts and feel so very bad for you. The nausea .& the pain and lack of relief from either seems to be wearing you down.
Your recovery start seems a bit rocky and is taking your healing strength , just when you need it most.
I do hope that you are finding some comfort through your BoneSmart friends, as we are with you snd wishing you only relief and comfort during this difficult time.
 
I believe the compazine is for nausea not for pain. I think you just have to take everything as directed until your pain lessens. Maybe @Josephine can advise us. Please don't hesitate to call your nurse or doctor. They are there to help you!
 
Hi Cindy, seems like it is more than a bit rocky right now. It is good of you to share yr journey so openly. Telling it like it is.

Lots and love and prayers that there will be a swift solution for each issue , that every day is better than the last
:console2:
Love Lorl
 
@Daystar You really need to call your surgeon or regular doctor and let them know what is going on so you can get some help with it. I hope you find relief soon!
 
Please don't read this if you haven't had your TKR yet! I don't want to scare or discourage anyone. I have hardly been able to sleep tonight because I am so uncomfortable. Worst night yet. Usually I don't have too much pain if I'm lying still, but I have it tonight anyway. I have the sciatica and also my knee hurts. I know the Compazine is for nausea. I plan to take it later today and try the OxyIR for breakthrough pain. I would do it right now except I don't want to be nauseated at night. I have been awake for hours. Had to get up to go to the bathroom twice, which I don't usually do. Went back to bed the first time and listened to some soothing music and played some games on my iPad. Took 0.25 mg of Klonopin, as my anxiety was rising. After second time to bathroom, came out to living room and am in my recliner so at least maybe my husband can sleep. Took another 0.25 mg of Klonopin. Oh, yeah, took two extra-strength Tylenol about an hour ago. I know to keep track of how much of that I take. It's starting to get light out. This is really hard. I had to do it, but now I just want the pain to stop, at least for a while. Maybe the OxyIR will help. Sorry to be such a downer! I can't even stand to read the threads from people (you) that I want to follow. I hope you are all doing better than I am. Thank you for reading this.
 
@gr82cu2 @Josephine I just read the link about Compazine that you sent me, Janet, and now I'm scared to death! It's an antipsychotic and you're not supposed to take it with tranquilizers or sedatives. I don't think whoever prescribed it (OS?) was paying attention to the fact that I'm taking Klonopin, which is prescribed by my psychiatrist. Now here it is Saturday, and I'm afraid to take the Compazine anymore without talking to my psychiatrist who won't be available until Monday. But I heed to take something for nausea so that I can take the OxyIR for the pain I'm having. I don't know what to do. Hopefully my husband will be able to think straighter than I can. He is a calm person, thank goodness.
 
Okay you are hanging in there and it does get better! Try eating saltine crackers or tea and toast when you take your meds. Call your pharmacist if you cannot get your doctor. They should be able to advise you on the nausea medication. Glad your hubby is calm. Mine is too! (((Hugs)))
 
:elevate:@Daystar
Thoughts and warm wishes for you.
I can only send these wishes and cannot offer advice.
If you can't get to speak with any of your doctors, as suggested speaking with your Pharmacy team may be the best option over the weekend. If you are feelng that unwell, would be able to contact either the floor nurse at the hospital where you had your surgery or speak with someone in that Hospital's ER for advice .
Thinking of you
 
@Daystar Cindy, I'm so sorry! I agree, call your pharmacy. That is something they definitely know about.....drug interactions! Your doctor doesn't have an emergency number or another doctor on call to help, at least by phone? No, do not take it until you get some answers. I didn't know about the antipsychotic/anxiety med problems. I'm soooo sorry! It sounds like you did not take it, right?

Your pain cannot be helping your anxiety especially when the worst is at night. Everything feels so lonely in the middle of the night. You need sleep, you're in pain and no one is around to soothe you. My son has sciatic nerve pain and he can't stand to sleep on his back either.

I wonder if you could get yourself situated on a sofa to where you could lay partially at least on your side with your back supported by the back of the couch? I haven't even tried to sleep or lay anywhere but on my sofa. I took the back cushions off which makes it almost as wide as a twin size bed. I stacked pillows as correctly illustrated on BS to elevate my legs. Then I have 2 soft pillows under my head and neck. The only part of me that isn't supported by soft pillows is my very, very lower back and upper butt. I'm not a back sleeper but I find (I've done this in the past also, it's not just a 2 night experiment) that this keeps me snuggled in and supported enough that I'm comfortable.

For the nausea, how about ginger ale or ginger tea or ginger candy? Peppermint tea helps too. But ginger is the best for nausea. If you have some ground ginger in your spice cabinet make yourself (have hubby do it!) a cup of hot tea and stir in 1/4 tsp. of ground ginger. See if that helps. It may settle your tummy. You can also buy meclazine (Bonine) over the counter but I wouldn't do that unless you get the ok from your doctor or pharmacist. I don't know how it might react with other meds you may be on.

I feel so badly for you honey. You don't deserve this to be happening. Your pain must be off the charts. I understand your frustration over being Rx'd something you maybe shouldn't have. I get so tired of going over meds and supplements every time I go to any doctor and then it seems they don't pay attention. I've gotten to where any time I'm prescribed something new I use a med checker for possible side effects or interactions. Recently when I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis I was Rx'd a new med and came home and checked and the fact I was taking Aleve threw a red flag. The doctor didn't say a thing about me discontinuing Aleve while I was on it. Here's the one I use......https://www.webmd.com/interaction-checker/

I wish I could lend you my tummy so you could get some good pain meds in. I'm so lucky that I can take enough to kill a horse and have zero upset stomach. Take care and check back in if you feel up to it. We care about you, Cindy!
 
Thanks for all your responses! You are the best, and I mean that. I just talked to my pharmacist and feel reassured about the Compazine. (The pharmacy we use is small and family owned, and the pharmacist knows us by sight and vice versa, which I like.) He gave me useful information about the meds and how to take them. There shouldn't be a problem taking both the Compazine and the Klonopin. Except maybe for extra dizziness and fuzzy thinking. I ate breakfast a few minutes ago and took the long-acting OxyContin right after with no Compazine. I don't think the OxyContin causes nausea, but I want to make sure. I think it's the short-acting OxyIR that causes nausea, and I'm going to take that later with the Compazine and see how that goes. I'm hoping that will help with breakthrough pain and that nausea will be controlled with the Compazine. Cross your fingers! I did fall asleep in my recliner, BTW, possibly because the Klonopin eventually took effect.
 
@gr82cu2 Thanks for the med checker. I feel like you really do need to keep on top of this stuff yourself nowadays since we tend to see several doctors.
 
@Daystar I think you may need to go to a pain clinic and get some help. If it gets an worse this weekend go to an ER, maybe they can help, make sure you take a list of the meds you are taking. You really need to get this pain under control and you can't do that without help. Your last post posted right after I hit post for mine. I sure hope you get the pain under control.
 
:flwrysmile: @Daystar
I was very pleased to read your latest post and that you and your local pharmacy are able to work with you in relation to a medicine schedule that should help avoid the nausea and medicine combination that will provide the greatest benefit with less unpleasant side effects.

Keeping my fingers & toes- but not my 'knees' for you ! :prayer:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom