THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the progress, Julie! It's good to hear your back to driving, and are getting back to normal activities. I've got 2 more weeks (actually, 2 1/2) until my 6 week check up - and then hope to be released. And believe me, this idea of getting 'carted around' is getting old. I'm ready to just go and do what I want without arranging a ride.

Keep us posted on hip #2 - in the mean time, enjoy the Willie concert. His show is definitely a fun time!
 
Burning sensation on front of thigh just above knee. :what:
:sad:
Today is the first day of week 5 and I'm having burning sensation on the thigh of the op leg. The skin area is still kinda numby and I've been lightly massaging my entire thigh and rubbing vitamin E on scar area for a few days and this morning I'm getting burn sensations when I'm standing. It goes away when I'm sitting or lying down but starts as soon as I'm standing again.
Has anyone else dealt with this? I'm pretty sure it has to do with nerves but I don't know if I should mention it or "try" to ignore it and hope it resolves SOON.
--julie
 
when I celebrate my six week graduation then, hopefully, I'll have a date for left hip and I can start this all over again.
When I went in for my 6 week checkup after the first surgery I just did not have the courage to schedule the second surgery even though the OS said I needed it and it was in favor of my insurance deductible, but I kept thinking about it and it did not take long until I made the decision to have the second one done. There is quite a bit of discussion on Bone Smart, in regards to the length of time between the two surgeries if you're going with a two-stage bilateral.
 
:hi: @Squirrellymom
I think what you are experiencing is rather common among us hippies. I had the same problem and it turned out to be my IT band. I just backed off all my PT and activity, went back to icing and resting and started back on my Motrin. All this helped. But, if you tag Josephine, she may be able to offer some helpful suggestions. Hoping it doesn't last long. Best of luck to you.:)
 
@Squirrellymom - not a burning sensation, but pains that seem to move from area to area. I had that burning feeling in my hamstrings on the operated leg, then that stopped and it moved up to the side of my butt near my incision. The pain on the outer side of my knee is gone, now I feel that burning in a small spot on the inside of my knee cap area. I thought I read here that it's common for healing pains to move around and appear in various areas. Anyone know??


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Okay. I'm taking it easier today. I love my walks and I can't stand just hanging around but I'm being a potato again until I go to PT on Thursday and I'll ask them what they think. Oh bother. Thanks nana757 and Catlady1. I appreciate the feedback. Gives a whole different meaning to "feel the bern" though --julie
:bow:
 
I guess this is what someone means when they say, "If it hurts more, quit doing it".
 
This past Monday marked the end of five weeks PO. I'm not going in to PT anymore as I was only scheduled for four weeks and I had to make up one missed due to snow so all finished except the exercises at home. :dancy:

My knee on operated leg remains my problem area. It continues to have a small amount of swelling above and around it. The slight burning sensation around that knee area also continues to come and go. I walk around inside the house and do lots of little household chores with no problems at all. I feel almost whole again except my left hip still needs replacement and the more I do, the more I feel the old aching and rubbing pain on that side. Now, instead of all my focus being on progress with the right hip, I'm feeling the stress of starting all over again with the left hip. That is causing me to be somewhat of a Debbie Downer and, instead of thinking, yay I'm going to go places and drive and walk, I'm thinking. Oh poo, I've got to start all over again. Just makes me want to smack everyone who says, wow you're doing so well. :blackcloud:
No date yet for next hip but it has to be sooner rather than later. See my OS next week and I'll let him decide what I should do.

I don't really go anywhere. We've had lots of light snow and nasty winter weather in Nashville for a couple of weeks and more is forecast. I did drive a few miles to get my hair cut and last evening DH and I went to see Willie Nelson in concert. I wore real clothes for the first time in 5 weeks. No sweat pants - whoohoo. I wore a skirt and since I didn't want anything to rub/touch the still sensitive skin area around the incision, I wore leggings (thick, soft) under the skirt and ankle high boots with flat soles. No tripping for me! No problems walking from the parking garage or crossing the busy street. We ate and had wine and went to the concert. Normal life. Wheehoo. Willie needs to retire. He was sing-talking more than singing and our 90 min. concert was over in 70 min. Seats were nice and cushy and I made it without any swelling and sat for the entire time with both feet on the floor.

To all of you who had a THR and are all finished except the slow road to healing - congratulations! To everyone who has had to start it all over again, how did you keep your mind through it all? :hairpulling:
--julie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Squirrellymom -- I agree about Willie. We went to see him years ago (he really hasn't changed). All started off singing all his old hits way too fast - like he was bored singing them (and yes, I understand how it could be boring as all to sing the same songs over and over), except it was my first time to hear him, so he needs to understand not all of us are bored with this songs. I'd personally recommend if he's that bored, then get off the bus for a while!!

Good to hear your doing really well. Funny you mention those street clothes. I've been wearing jeans lately, and last night about 8 pm decided I was tired of the tight feeling and changed into my comfy sweat pants. The backs of my knees feel itchy at times - not sure what the cause is (dry skin?) but putting those sweat pants back on was a treat! Like you, I still notice some tightness / swelling around my operated knee -- not anything that stops walking, but more that I can feel when I'm doing heel slides or that new exercise you mentioned to do (laying on stomach, pulling ankle towards hip).
Speaking of that hamstring exercise -- earlier this week, I was laying on the bed around 11 pm, doing all my exercises, and did the hamstring stretch last; it felt SO FABULOUS to be laying on my stomach! The next thing I know, DH is standing near me asking if I'm ok; the cat is sitting nearby watching.... and I'm waking up from a 1 hour pre-bedtime nap.... Ha ha. Stomach sleeping sure did feel good! Good luck with surgery #2. At least you now know what you're up against for recovery.
 
Hi @Squirrelymom! I'm glad you got out and about, but sorry Willie was a disappointment. Kind of a let down since you got all dressed up for him! But sounds like you and hubby had a good time doing the normal life anyway!

It IS hard jumping from one recovery to another dive into the surgery pool again, isn't it? People say "Wow so soon?" (mostly med staff I encounter.) But I feel I'm on a roll and no benefit in putting it off. The sooner I have the 2 hips I'm actually going to have for life the better. But it does stink on the other hand. All our little victories - and then we're "back there" again?? :scare:

But on a positive note, we are moving forward and we're getting to where we want to be. You're a strong lady with a sharp sense of humor. I hope that helps to carry you through this next stage of hipsterdom. :flwrysmile:
 
To all of you who had a THR and are all finished except the slow road to healing - congratulations! To everyone who has had to start it all over again, how did you keep your mind through it all? :hairpulling:
How do you keep your mind ? Both my hips were bone on bone for awhile, the left was far more advanced then the right. When I had the left THR 7/14/2015 my surgeon told me he would recommend doing the 2nd THR surgery 2.5 to 3 months after the first and he also said if I chose to delay the second he was ok . So for a period of time, same stage you are in, Same thoughts, I struggled , changing my mind on a daily basis. One day I would think needed the second surgery ASAP , and the next day things felt a little better and I would wonder could I delay the second surgery 2 years . Finally 10 weeks post op from first surgery my pain on the un operated hip took a turn for the worse . I called my surgeon we came up with a plan and with a surgery date 12/1/2015 . After that I was at peace , I focused on preparing for the second surgery. No changing the plan no looking back and I went back to work and kept very busy up untill the day before the second surgery .My advice make a plan you are comfortable with and follow it. One thing I would add I stopped using walking aids early on. But midway between the two surgery's I went back to using a cane and used it until the second surgery .
 
I am also in that vacillating stage. One minute I feel like getting my second THR over with ASAP and the next minute I feel like I want my op side to get as strong as possible before moving forward. For me, I think the emotional toll waiting creates, makes me want it over and done with right away. Tough decision.
 
I am having similar emotional roller coaster rides about my second hip. But I feel that bone on bone pain in my un op leg with every step and I know I can not let it get as bad as the right became. In December I was literally sobbing with every step and trying to teach my classes completely drained me. Not again, please God!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Squirrellymom @Cynthia777 @jomarie58 -- Don't take my advice (I don't have a bad 2nd hip - just the one), but since you've got the house all set up for hip surgery, why not go ahead and schedule it, so in a few more weeks you can put up all the extra 'hip stuff' around the house once and for all and go back to regular living?

Another thought: if you have surgery on hip #2 during the same year, you'll have your insurance options working for you (as far as deductibles go). That was one of my thoughts I had for scheduling in January - not that I needed any second surgery, but if PT was scheduled, or I needed other options, I'd have the year to work with the insurance deductible. (At one point pre-surgery, my operated leg knee was making some serious creaking / popping sounds. The OS didn't diagnose it, but I began wondering if my knee was giving out too? So far, post surgery, I haven't had the same popping symptoms...
 
@CatLady1
My vacillation only encompasses April and May! I want this over and done with, but just want to make sure my new hip is ready to take over. I'm so NOT going to drag this out like I did making my decision for my first THR! I'm sold, but you make some excellent points for those who really aren't sure. :-)
 
I can see why you'd want to wait. If there is the TED stocking option in your home recovery, don't put surgery off for the really hot months. I've seen people here complain about wearing them in the summer.
(It's amazing how long 6 weeks can last regarding restrictions .. :rotfl: Especially when you're close to the end of the time ? and you live with the venowave nazi who is telling you that your six weeks isn't up yet, you still need to wear them at night; and then there is the driving nazi who is telling you that your six weeks isn't up yet, you're not supposed to getting in the driver's seat; lets see, what else have I been told?? ..... :bow: )
Both you and Julie have it good with the anterior approach (from what I can tell... the restrictions don't seem to be as restrictive.
 
I've just read @CatLady1 six week check up account and started to respond with how similar mine was but decided to come to my own thread so I will have an account to look back on in a few weeks when I'm doing it all again. :bored: I saw my OS on Thursday morning for my 6 week "okay to begin river dance lessons". :chuckmarch:
We also have a bit of a drive (35 miles) and my appointment was scheduled for 7:30 AM. What doctor opens his office at that hour? Mine! We left our house at 6:15 to be certain we wouldn't be late with all the going to work traffic -- not to be -- there was freezing fog on Thursday morning and our travel took us along I40 going West and traffic was at a stand still for part of the way due to driving along the lake and dense fog. I'm thankful that we are retired and don't have to do that every day. We have a commuter train that runs into Nashville, but then I would have to get on a bus and go to my doctor's office. That isn't happening.

I had my follow-up Xray. Nice big screw going right into the hip. My OS says he always puts one screw in for security. I told him I felt that one leg was now longer than the other and he said it is -- by about a centimeter. He will even them when he does the left hip. He said the bone was so worn down that he had to build it up a little to install the new joint. Yay! I'm going to be taller. :wowspring: I have a Stryker ceramic hip joint with a pink ball. I'm not sure what all that means, but I hope it won't shatter if I fall. I told him about my knee swelling off and on for the past 6 weeks and about the burning sensation at the top and side of my knee and he just shrugged and said, huh, don't know what that's all about. :shrug: It isn't as bad as it was at about 4 weeks and I'm still icing some and I massage the area frequently to circulate blood and relax the ligaments. Time. It needs time and tenderness I suppose.

OS asked me how the left hip is feeling now that I'm becoming active again and I told him I'm started to feel the bone on bone pain and the sharp pains sometimes. I don't want to walk much because I don't enjoy that grinding hip pain and I don't want to use the new right hip for support. He said, well, let's get that left one fixed now. So ..... I'm scheduled for LTHR on APRIL 11th. I wanted to get it done in 3-4 weeks but Medicare has a 90 day rule that I wasn't aware of. So we went 90 days out from RTHR date and added a week for miscalculations or Fijian time and we came up with April 11. I will be ready. I'm anxious to get over it. No more thinking about it and, hopefully, the weather will be spring like and not so hot that the TEDs will drive me mad. I only wore those TEDs for 4 weeks. I told the nurse about that at the check-up and she said, "did you call and ask me about that? and I said, "No, I decided I didn't need to wear them as I was up and moving a lot during the day". They didn't cut off my finger or anything, so I plan to do that again next time. Maybe even sooner. Oh, I'm going to be such a smartie for No. 2. No fear! :dead:

I'm still easily tired. After my check-up, I had to go 30 miles to my son's house and wait for a refrigerator delivery from Lowes. My son and his wife both work and no one was available to wait on the delivery. I knew I would be free all afternoon so I said I could do it. By the time I did all of that and got back home late in the afternoon, I was so worn out that I felt chilled and I ached all over. No pain, just sick, fluish feeling. TIRED! :mcoffee: I'm just not up to going and going and going . . . . Now, I have to start all over again in a few weeks with the left side. :tiredwheel:
I'm worried about packing on extra pounds with all this sitting and boredom and the 50% off Valentine's candy.

OS gave me a prescription for amoxicillin/500mg. I'm to take 4 of them prior to a dental appointment or colonoscopy to avoid infection. I have a routine teeth cleaning next week so I'll be popping the antibiotics for that.

@CatLady1 I want to know exactly what they are having you do with the exercise bike. My OS didn't say anything about any exercise suggestions. I have a stationary bike and I love to pedal. What is your time frame? Do you start with 2 min 2x a day and then add a minute every day until you reach 15 minutes 2x a day by the end of February? I did 10 min on a stationary bike at the PT once a week for a warm up.

Does anyone know if I should go back into Pre-op and sign up for my April 11 LTHR or just continue in Recovery threads through No. 2 surgery. Ready to Roll! :bicycle1:
--julie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Squirrellymom - I'm not home now (had band practice earlier this afternoon and a show starting at 7 tonight), but tomorrow I'll take a picture and post the exact regimen. It starts with 2 minutes (only) twice a day for the first three days , then the time lengthens. As for resistance, the directions are "there should be some, but don't let it feel like you're coasting down or pedaling up hill". By the end of the time on the sheet, you've worked up to 15 minutes twice daily. It takes about a month to get to the 15 minutes.

I found a hardly used exerpeutic folding bike on Craigslist yesterday for half price -- and was excited that I could start my exercise last night. I wasn't reading the directions very carefully, and thought I read 2-3 minutes to start. I stopped at 2:45 and commented how my hip felt tired. (Then notice I'd over run my time by 45 seconds) - and was amazed at how little exercise it took to feel that way. Dr Kim advised me that the bike riding is to develop strength in the leg and help stretch the hamstring and quads and build the muscle back. This morning it didn't feel nearly as tired.

I'm wondering if your surgeon is holding off with your exercises due to your 2nd bad hip?

As for feeling tired, I really haven't experienced that since week 3-4. Yesterday was a lot of running around -- between OS appts, picking up a car dropped off at the shop, a hair appt, then later going back out to pick up our VeggieChef shipment and meet the exercise bike sellers. Other than feeling stiff from sitting , I don't feel that jet lag yet. DH said he's noticed too. Must be all that extra sleep I got the 1st two weeks. :-).

More later....


Sent from my iPad
 
Yippee, thank you for sharing @CatLady1.
I'm starting pedaling today. The left hip is giving me fits with exercise but I've got to do some to build up the strength in the right to take over in recovery mode for the left. What a mess.
--julie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom