Guest viewing is limited

THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
So interesting how different the recommendations are from OS to OS. I was told 7 days to remove bandages and then just leave it open. No baths or hot tubs for 6 weeks. Walker for 2 weeks, cane for 2 weeks. PT once a week for 4-6 weeks and I won't see my OS until the end of 6 weeks. I wonder how they arrive at all their recommendations. Gotta trust em. That's why I picked them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
So variable! In my case minimal PT for six weeks (just dvt exercises and very gentle range of motion), plus as much walking as you like. Possibility of hydrotherapy in two weeks which I like the idea of - PT is going to call to let me know if she can arrange it. then more intensive PT starting at six-week OS visit. We all seem to get to the same place in the end anyway. So much more complicated for those with two hips to do.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sleeping on my back has been the worst thing possible. I am not a back sleeper and my brain goes crazy arguing with myself that I should should not roll over to my side. Well, I've side slept (good leg side) briefly for the past few days. I finally ordered a large foam wedge from amazon to try to stay on my back. I found in hospital that a slight incline in the bed was more comfortable for back sleeping. I slept much better on the wedge. I can even roll just slightly to the side and not have flat out body to twist. I've had a nice nap on it also so I'm hoping it continues to give me the raised head advantage. It's also great for TV watching and reading or coloring in bed. Since I will be having left hip done in a couple of months, I'm excited to let my right hip be the pioneer.


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
I agree @sqirrellymom, sleeping on your back is the hardest thing! At the moment i have a pillow between my legs, another under the knee of the operated leg, and a pile at the head of the bed, plus a long thin strip of foam along the side of the bed nearest the operated leg to stop it drifting out of bed and scaring me, which has only happened once. I got the foam from friend who had it to stop her toddler granddaughter falling out of bed! And still not very comfy.

I do have a recliner which is easier to sleep in but it is in the kitchen/diner downstairs, a long way from the loo in the middle of the night, Besides, there has to be a better solution than sleeping in a chilly kitchen with the dog!

What size and shape is your wedge - off to google it now. I have been told no side sleeping for six weeks and I can see it could be a long six weeks!


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bettifloss and anyone else trying to find a way to get comfortable. This is the wedge I got to give me an angle while lying in bed. I got the widest I could find because I wanted to feel like I did when the hospital bed was cranked up at the head. Am I resting better with it? I believe I am. I'm not sleeping all night and I'm not on my side and curled up like I like to sleep but flat in bed with a few pillows was becoming torture. I still have the left hip to look forward to as soon as I get the go ahead from this right hip. (Today = day 8 post op) so I made a decision to try as much as I can for comfort since I have to do it again. I'm even considering purchasing a small lightweight stick type vacuum cleaner as all I have now is a Dyson animal and I have 3 dogs and 2 cats in the house and I'm seeing fur bunnies everywhere. My husband does NOT see them. (Um, maybe disability is an excuse to shop on line for goodies) I slept mostly all night last night on my wedge and back sleeping was easier. I did wake once about 4:30 am with tightness and pulling all around my thigh and incision. Got up and retrieved my ice mat from the freezer and I was able to go back to sleep for 2 more hours. As I've mentioned, I don't call my discomfort "pain" so I don't take pain relievers first. I readjust and I ICE. So far, so good. DH is driving me my 30 miles tomorrow morning to do my PT. I want to be able to do a little more and especially go up and down my basement steps. A good friend in GA sent me another very detailed coloring book and colored pencils yesterday so I have entertainment. ;)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U0A06A4/?tag=ate362da-20


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the tip @Squirrelymom. Really helpful. Just sent hubby on expedition to local disability shop to get one, will try anything to get more comfy at night. lol at the shopping online, bit of that going on here too.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@ Both of you -- seems none of us hippies (old or new) liked sleeping on our backs. I can't stand it either. Two nights of it post surgery had me getting up in the middle of the night on day 2 and moving out to the recliner to sleep. I agree about the head partially reclined. It just feels so much better than completely flat.

As for OS recommendations / restrictions, it is interesting its so different for each of them. When I asked mine how long I needed to stay on the walker, or when to start using a cane, I was told it was up to me, whatever I felt comfortable doing. The only "rule" was get up and walk once an hour (which I don't do in the middle of the night except a trip to the bathroom.) I was also told no baths, swimming pools or hot tubs for 90 days, as hot tubs were terrible sources of bacteria (we have one, and I'd disagree, but I'm following his rules). And no PT, just get up and walk.
My recliner is in the living room -- and at night it's chillier out here - but that new light weight blanket keeps me warm. I will actually go through the process of putting on pajamas to sleep at night (Like it matters, ha ha.). The rest of the day it's sweat pants and a t shirt.
@Squirrellymom writes: >> I'm even considering purchasing a small lightweight stick type vacuum cleaner as all I have now is a Dyson animal and I have 3 dogs and 2 cats in the house and I'm seeing fur bunnies everywhere. My husband does NOT see them. (Um, maybe disability is an excuse to shop on line for goodies)<<
That is LOL! funny. I have been thinking the same thing with two cats (we already have a black and decker stick vaccuum) and I have already noticed all the grit on the floor from two cats, and also noticed that we didn't seem to have so much grit before surgery, so why is it there now? Try your reacher. You'll be amazed what it can pick up!

I wouldn't describe mine as pain either - more discomfort / muscle tightness. But I am on pain meds! ha ha. I'd rather have no pain and get up and walk around, than be trying to catch up.
 
@bettifloss -- it's just so all different. I really think it's the surgeon. Mine comes off at 10 days, but it's an aquacell dressing / bandage -- I was told there are no restrictions about getting it wet, but don't take a bath (I can't imagine sitting down that low anyway). I've been taking showers since day 2 (had to get home first, LOL!)
 
I had my 2nd PT visit this morning for one hour. It's almost an hour drive from my house into Nashville for therapy so a visit equals a 3 hour outing. They checked my incision now that all bandages are off and all was good. I did all my knee bends, leg lifts, bike riding and added standing toe/heel raises and knee kicks to back all while holding to bar. Therapist said I can ditch the walker and move to cane. I would love to walk a bit more but he said that the 2-week out time frame can get you in trouble because you start feeling good and can overdo so hold the walks to 10 min at a time. I still have never had to take any pain meds but therapist claims that the more pain you're in pre-op the more you can put up with post op. I do use a lot of ice packs, even during the night. Pain can't hurt when you're frozen. Hope everyone else is getting their groove back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
@Squirrellymom - Sounds like your progress is right on. A three hour trip sounds long. Do you find yourself feeling stiffer when you get out of the car at each end?
What type of bike do they have you on? What are the toe / heel raises supposed to help / improve? I was sent home with the normal hip exercises (heel slides, adduction/abduction, butt squeeze, etc) but no reference to those two.
 
@Squirrellymom, a 3 hour round trip sound like as much of a challenge as the physio! Really fascinated by all the different protocols - I was told serious physio starts only after six weeks (in the meantime just gentle knee bends, side raises etc four times a day) - but also told i can do as much walking right away as I feel up to without making it hurt or getting exhausted. Delighted that I can also start hydrotherapy at week 3, which is not weightbearing. Did you have anterior - maybe that makes a difference to PT, or maybe its just different countries?


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes @bettifloss I had the Anterior surgery. I believe the individual doctors/groups etc set their own rules. I am going to PT 1x a week and, essentially, they are the ones tracking my progress ie; checking surgical site, checking gait, med usage etc. The PT is connected with/a part of the joint replacement institute. They have said no water soaking, baths, hot tub, swimming for six weeks. Evidently different surgeons, clinics and hospitals have their own protocols. They really aren't that different so there is an slight bit of flexibility in individuals. For instance, I was told in no uncertain terms that I should use a walker for 2 weeks, then today, at 11 days, therapist said I can stop using walker. Common sense, healing progress and curcumstances. I like to err on side of caution.
julie d.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Not stiff @CatLady1 it was a treat getting out and about and I enjoyed the stretch. I put the passenger seat all the way back so legs were stretched out. I walked a bit when I went into the medical center just to get some movement I don't get at home.

I was first put on a machine that has big flat peddle type platforms for feet. More like a seated stepper that also has arm levers that move the upper and lower limbs. That for 10 min. Then moved to a recumbent bike that only used legs and peddled at an easy pace for 10 min. After that went to physical table on stomach with bent knee lifts x20, raised leg lifts about 5" raise from table x20, glut tightening X20 hold for 5 seconds, laying on back slide op leg out to side on heels and slide back, then with light yellow theraband around knees, move both legs out till resistance on band, hold, return. All done to count of 20. Went to wall bar for toe raises, rocking back to heel raises and alternating X20. Then stand on one leg, hold 5 sec and alternate to other leg. I held onto bar fir these. They started me on a few very shallow squats with just a bend of knees and stick butt out. All to be continued at home except squats. Slow and gentle. No pain. The only stiffness I felt was on standing on one leg and then the other. Legs were shaky and tight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detail @Squirrellymom. That is really informative. I'm looking forward to starting the more intensive PT when allowed as I'm keen to be able to get back on my horse at the minimum possible time (twelve weeks). I think the longer time before my docs patients begin 'proper' PT - essentially just walking for six weeks with a few small exercises - may also be related to posterior op which seems to require more dislocation precautions. I read somewhere on this forum that many docs think PT is not essential in hip replacement patients and that walking is the most important thing, and Josephine says the same. But all the same I am keen to make the most of what is on offer - my programme covers six sessions of outpatient PT. So you are providing very interesting info and encouragement with your post.

I now realise it was you shared info about the wedge, rather than Catlady (postop brain, obviously) Anyway, thank you, so much, i am sleeping so much better now.

Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016. Posterior approach with ceramic on ceramic prosthesis.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Squirrellymom - yay!! our MVC arrived today (one day sooner than I expected). Hubby was off picking up a small freezer we ordered from amazon to told the extras, so we were both happy to hear the food box was here today. I had not even gotten my Fedex tracking number from Kristie when I noticed that there was a missed call on my phone. In picking up the phone - I accidentally pressed the 'return call' option - then realized that and hung up. (I seem to be getting a lot more junk calls lately, and hate to encourage those calls.) Before I had time to set the phone down, it rang again - was the Fedex delivery guy saying he delivered the box, and wanted to make sure he was doing the right thing.

So what have you chosen to eat first?? We selected the minestrone soup and then vegetable pasta. It all sounds good!
 
Yippee, the food wagon arrived. We get ours on Sunday. We're still working on the 10 meals I "squirreled" away before I went for op on Jan 4. Some of them have actually given us 3 meals. I'm spoiled from veggie chef doing all the work for me. Eventually I'll have to grocery shop and cook but I'm going to put it off as long as I can. Nom Nom. --julie
 
@Squirlleymom @CatLady1 @bettifloss I have been lucky in that I don't MIND sleeping on my back (w pillow under knees) because although I prefer the side, not possible w pre-op pains. Is this Wedge something you can use to raise your legs as well OR, do use something else for those? I'm trying to figure out what is best to keep leg elevated when lying in bed ...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TerryCloth - the packaging for my wedge shows it being used as a leg support as well as a back support but I haven't tried it for that purpose - just using a pillow under my knee - a feather one sonI ca squash it into shape easily.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@TerryCloth there is no reason I couldn't use my wedge for a foot raise. It is 7-1/2" high at the high end and when arranged with high end under feet should work well, but I did purchase the extra large wedge because I wanted my entire torso up on it so, for a foot lift, I would go with one narrower.
 
but therapist claims that the more pain you're in pre-op the more you can put up with post op.
Sorry but this just silly talk! Pain is pain and PT should never cause pain.
then with light yellow theraband around knees,
They started me on a few very shallow squats with just a bend of knees and stick butt out.
Please be very careful with these exercises. This sounds quite aggressive for your first PT. One size does not fit all and most PTs have a prescribed set of exercises that might not fit with where you are in recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom