Guest viewing is limited

THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Jaycey - It's so interesting. Luckily I'm only going 1x a week and I'm on my own with "homework" PT. I'm taking it easy when I do the assigned moves. It's so weird that they tell me to take it slow on time spent walking but suggest the exercises. I noticed also that, depending on which therapist I'm assigned, they have different routines and different numbers of reps. It would be nice to be in the computer with routines from previous visits.

I like knowing what others are doing and, according to this forum, not much in the way of PT in the first few weeks.
--julie
 
Hi ladies, first full day out and they just have me doing a few things in bed (glute squeeze, push knees into bed etc) I have walked a few steps with the walker. Tomorrow they show me how to shower, try some stairs, etc. I will have home PT the first week since my second hip also has a collapsed ball (just not as bad as the right) to be sure I am ready to head to PT at the office. A three hour drive would just knock me out at this point! God bless you!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
2 weeks down. Today is the beginning of week #3. I'm doing a wee bit more each day. Tackling bed straightening, kitchen swiffering, some light meal prep, pet feeding and, yesterday, a short walk to end of drive and back. I've made it up and down my basement steps twice. The basement is where we keep our food staple stash, freezer and our office with files, desktop, etc. So I'm anxious to be able to go up and down. Still no "pain". I'm icing although only about 4x/day. I am still finding a need to get out of bed about 1-3 AM and ice because my incision area on my thigh and also around my knee bothers me after a few hours of sleeping and I can't rest until I get some ice on it. The 5" incision has been uncovered since day #7 and a lot of the glue has come off and it looks really good. It is closed and tight and disappearing before my eyes.

I'm finding that if I'm up and walking around doing "stuff" I get the achey leg and absolutely have to sit down and ice. Luckily, the weather in mid Tennessee is cold, gray and snow mix is forecast so I don't want to do much else than be a winter slug. No log leg. I can lift it on its own and maneuver fairly well. I haven't been using my cane in the house. I walk slowly and don't feel the need for an aid, but it might help with that leg getting tired and achey quickly.

My dogs need a bath and brushing, my furniture needs dusting, I need to pay a visit to my mother in the nursing home, but I have to recover and have enough energy to do this all over again on the other side in a few weeks. I won't see my OS until 6 weeks out and only then will we discuss scheduling hip #2.

What I couldn't imagine doing without. Prepared meals, groceries on hand, raised potty, cell phone, lots of outside windows, warm, soft, sloppy warm up pants and adult coloring books. What I definitely could do without. TED stockings.

Ready for Week Three and a little more activity.
--julie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All good new @Squirrellymom. I think you and I are pretty much on the same schedule, though I do feel for you having to go through it all again on the other hip (I might one day, but no time soon). Good luck with the dog grooming, are they well behaved when you groom them? Mine are biggish - probably similar size to doodles, but thankfully don't need much grooming - will you be able to get them up on a table or something to do the job?


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss I would like to never have the left hip done or at least put it off a year or so BUT X-rays show it almost as bad as the right and if I put it off I'm going to get that nasty pain and limp around and say I can't do a lot of things I want to do, so I'm ready to grit my teeth, take a deep breath and get it done so I can move on.

Doods are good boys and they will do anything I ask of them but I will not tackle grooming wookies at this stage in my recovery. I will bite the bullet and find a groomer who won't yell at me for letting them get matted and I'll get my husband to help me drive them somewhere for spa day. I mentioned it because these are things I do and take for granted and now - I simply cannot do them. The poor dogs have not received the grooming they need for months because my hips got so bad the last few months that I could not stand at the grooming table or sit on the floor to brush them. Now I'm feeling neglectful for not getting stuff done before the hip replacement. :dogsniff: --julie
 
What I couldn't imagine doing without. Prepared meals, groceries on hand, raised potty, cell phone, lots of outside windows, warm, soft, sloppy warm up pants and adult coloring books. What I definitely could do without. TED stockings.

Julie: It's good to hear you're doing well, and figuring out how to waste time while you heal! I try to ice every time I sit down & elevate. With various areas that need it (back of knee, top of thigh, incision area) I move the ice around until it's no longer cold, then get up and piddle / walk. Are you taking a blood thinner too (to go with your TED stockings)?
I spoke to my neighbor yesterday, she's an OR nurse for one of the nearby orthopedic practices... her response to how much moving, and the rules of walking was to "get up and move. Your body will tell you when you've done too much". She also commented on how quite a few patients didn't move around, and their recovery seemed to take longer.
Since everyone's cause / reaction to the repair is different, one answer can't fit all. From what I've read here, you and @bettifloss had the anterior approach and seem to be more mobile sooner, or less pain. (But again, I don't think there is any rule to that either.) I'm thinking post mobility might be related to pre mobility too -- and I keep telling my self that everyone is different, don't compare!

If I had to do this again, I'd definitely buy some adult coloring books, or find an app that lets me color on my ipad. In the mean time, I'm finding new HGTV house renovation shows to watch. And I'll add the reacher to the list of musts.

We've got a winter storm watch going for tomorrow and Thursday a.m. - I'm hoping it's nothing more than icy drizzle that melts off before sunset.
 
@Squirrellymom - if your left hip is that bad, I'm impressed you're up and about as well as you are, considering you're still half crippled!
 
@CatLady1, mine was posterior. As far as I can see, anterior has the advantage of fewer restrictions in the first six weeks (less dislocation risk), but I have no idea if people actually feel any better with one method or another - anteriors are just allowed to do more earlier! I am happy with posterior though, as choice of surgeon was my top priority and that's what mine uses. I am guessing that being able to be more active before the op probably leaves you in better muscular shape for recovery. Although I had a fair bit of pain before the op it was only in one hip, and I was still be able to be reasonably active despite grumbling and groaning - so many folk on Bonesmart seem to have to contend with two bad hips, bad knees etc, often for years.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@bettifloss - I'm not sure why I thought you were anterior. I did consider anterior vs posterior for a small amount of time, but really the choice came down to surgeon, and who was recommended (and who I felt comfortable with) - not how they did it. My attitude has always been let the experts do what they do best. Find someone who's an expert.

I too was pretty mobile pre-surgery, and find myself this far post-surgery as getting around pretty well. Like you, the closer to surgery, the more I complained about pain, but it didn't stop me from getting up and moving - I just didn't move in a completely normal way. I'm happy that's all over. Now on to heal muscles and tendons and get back to doing.

Did you ever get your underwear sorted out??? :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes thanks @CatLady1, thanks to tips from Bonesmarties, I am now a high-leg knicker gal, dressing taken off and cellulite wobbling free! Getting scar assessed by physio tomorrow with a view to starting hydrotherapy, but also hoping to ask for an opinion on when to go without crutches or at least go down to one. Standard advice from my hospital is two crutches for a whole six weeks (which can be used like ski poles). But as I'm already comfortable around the house without, I wonder if another month on two crutches is strictly necessary. On the other hand, like you, I am keen to get back to a completely normal gait and rid myself of the old habit of limping, so if crutches help normalise gait I will stick it out. As usual, trying to run before I can walk....


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@bettifloss, elsewhere on this forum I have read that the time to go without crutches seems to be when you start to forget them!

I dropped comfortably to one crutch after 6 weeks and stopped using any at 7. I am still using pain meds and sometimes limping.

Everyone is different. As long as you feel comfortable and confident, that's the important part.

Good luck!



Siobhan
RTHR 25 November 2015
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
But as I'm already comfortable around the house without, I wonder if another month on two crutches is strictly necessary.
I went home with 2 crutches post LTHR and used only one starting about day 2. It's really about your comfort level. If you are fine using one, go for it. But if you have any limp keep using some type of walking aid so it does not become a habit. You will soon start forgetting to take that crutch. Then you know it transition time.
 
Update, thanks Jaycey, physio last night said fine to go down to one or none around the house but stick to two outdoors to promote even leg swing (which makes sense), so happy with that


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@Squirrellymom -- Julie - Just checking in to see how the end of week 3, start of week 4 is looking for you. Anything new to report? How did you guys fair with all the snow? I saw pix on FB from a friend in Nashville -- amazing!!
 
Yesterday marked the end of week #3. I'm half way to my visit with my OS and hopefully being told I can resume a reasonably normal life and scheduling the other hip for refurbishing. The operation itself doesn't bother me at all. It's the slow recovery and limited life for weeks. Oh well, if the weather is nicer for hip 2, I may have a chance to be outside and move about more. Yes @CatLady1 we got the really nasties here in Nashville. I was scheduled for my third PT on Friday morning and received a call at 6:30 telling me they weren't going to open because the snow was moving in earlier than predicted. We got about 6 in. And the airport measured 8 in. Some areas recorded 10 in. What a mess. I've felt trapped indoors for days. I could normally walk the driveway to the mailbox but no way with ice and snow. I can't imagine falling :shocked:

Yesterday was a really good day. I got a lot done and walked in the house picking up, made bed, dusted, made a cinnamon raisin bread and I felt good. Then, last night I stretched out on the sofa to watch a movie and I elevated my foot on a pillow but I wasn't icing and I noticed my knee was swelling again. It also had the itchy, numb feeling. Ugh. I just want it to heal and not have to think about it. Anyway, when I went to bed, I slept with an Colpac ice pack and a pillow under the knees. I'm doing my homework PT exercises every day and they make me feel better. No pain. I'm still taking a 325 mg aspirin every day and Tylenol extra if any discomfort. I'm still using the raised toilet seat because it is comfortable and I don't like getting up in the night for pee time and having to drop down to pee or stand straight up with no hand holds. I may keep it forever. :egypdance:

I'm not using any walking aid. I can walk normally but I'm mentally favoring the right leg because I think about doing something too soon or wrong and causing a problem or dislocation. :eeeuw:

Still wearing the crappy TED stockings. I'm told to wear them for 6 weeks and I'm convinced the short one I wear just to the knee on the op leg cause my swelling around that knee. They are so tight and roll at the top. I'm 5'2" so everything is long. I may break the rules and try a day without TED. My next PT is end of this week and I'm hoping for new and more progressive exercises. I'm ready for massaging the skin, scar area also. It is thick and still fairly numb. Nuff said. I kinda feel like I'm belly aching a lot. I'm anxious and I want to resume some normalcy. I know people who have had stints put in their heart arteries abd had brain surgery who were doing more at one week out than I'm doing at three weeks. Temps predicted to be in the 60s on Saturday. I will go out in the yard!:yahoo: Oh and, I think I've become addicted to ice. Yes, my name is julie and ....I'm an iceoholic. :ice: -- julie d. starting week #4.
 
Great update Squirrellymom. I know what you mean about frustration but actually compared with some of the difficulties in recovery you read about on here it sounds like you are progressing brilliantly and have a great attitude. I'm in awe of you folks who are about to have number two hip done right after the first one. We have been seeing the snow in the US on the news - what a storm! We are just getting the tail end of it here but in the form of high winds and heavy rain. Hope you get outside soon.


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
@Squirrellymom -- Good report. I guess we are similar in our progress. The snow melted completely yesterday, so I was able to go out yesterday afternoon and do a short excursion up the road. Felt good to get moving outdoors again with the temps in the mid 50's.
As for house chores, I'm pretty mobile now, making breakfast in the a.m., and doing small tasks that don't require bending over or twisting. Still using a cane to walk, as I still have a tight hamstring (the muscle that attaches to the bottom of my butt) and can 'feel' it when I walk. I have the sense I would start limping if I didn't use the cane (although I do walk small areas in the house without it - like kitchen cooking / chores.)
The skin around the bottom of my incision is still hard & numb, and there is still swelling in the area (where the leg joins the torso and can feel a small lump - but no pain.) I also noticed my knee area has swelling this a.m. (went down some yesterday) - again no pain, but the stiffness from swelling.
My neighbor, who is a nurse with an orthopedic office, did say that I should massage the incision area, to work out the stiffness / swelling. So I've also been trying to do that.

It seems our progress was much more noticeable from week 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, and not so much from then on.
Here's to counting the days to get rid of the immobility restrictions! We're half way there!

Like Bettifloss, I don't see how people manage a bilateral surgery. But I guess when that's over, it really is over!
 
@Squirrellymom, you're not belly aching, you're sharing. Nothing wrong with that. My goodness, I watched a lot of The Weather Channel this past weekend and your area of the east coast really did get wholloped. I hope everything gets dug out/thawed soon.
It sounds like you're doing great! Sending good thoughts for a continued wonderful recovery. Enjoy your icing time...it is fabulous, isn't it? :)
 
Today marked the end of Week 4. Woohoo. I drove the car for the first time in 4 weeks. I had to pick up hubby at car dealer when he left his car for service. It wasn't very far and I had no problems at all. Then we loaded the doodles in my car and drove them to the groomers. I am walking a 1/2 mile every day (for the past 4 days) in the neighborhood. My new hip feels good, my other side still needs to be repaired is acting ugly because of walks. Every day I feel more "normal". I'm making numerous trips up and down the basement steps with no difficulty. My last PT visit last Thursday added more exercises: standing on OP leg for 10-25 seconds, clams, squats and standing leg raises. One more PT and I'm on my own. Going to a concert to see Willie Nelson when I celebrate my six week graduation then, hopefully, I'll have a date for left hip and I can start this all over again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing great!!! Hopefully I'll follow suit. I went to a Willie Nelson concert at Caesars Palace probably 30 or 35 years ago (seems like yesterday)! Have a great time! Maybe we will have our second replacements close together. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom