THR Czak's hip recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@czak57 , Sounds like you're doing really well and being able to "go" on day four means the worst is actually behind you. :heehee: I see that you've had a tkr too, and I was curious as to whether the hip surgery is easier or harder than the knee. I'm woefully afraid that I may be needing a tkr in the not too distant future, and I've heard that it's no picnic.
 
Good work @czak57 !

Keep journaling here in your thread, it's hard to go back and remember from the perspective you have right now while it's happening ! :)


Surgery date February 20 2014
 
@czak57 I am so happy you are doing so well!! It is quite a journey, but to finally be able to be over the "hump" for a pain free life is just AWESOME!! Your "going" was one of my worst fears because I knew they could control the pain, but the "going" can be a tough one and THAT can bring me to tears, lucky enough, the fiber and fluids along with MOM and stool softeners made it a "slick" one...LOL Just don't overdo things and let ice and rest be your friends. Keep on doing a great job!!
 
@birdlady, for me I have found the hips to be easier. They don't need to flex and extend like knees do. Therapy is less painful with hips and all you really need to do is walk and strengthen the hip capsule muscles. Everyone's recovery, however, is different. I have a friend who had no swelling with her TKR and got her flexion and extension back by 2 weeks post-op. I am still working on my flexion with my TKR 3.5 months later. Good question. But in the end, it's still worth doing and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
 
Thanks for the info. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my latest THR is the last surgery I'll need.
 
6 DAYS POST OP
Extremely tired this morning; had to take a 2 hour nap. Remembering what others have said, "Your hip is in charge", I decided to just succumb and go with it! PT came in the afternoon and let me walk outside with my walker. It was the first time I had been outside and the warm sun felt wonderful. I didn't walk very far, but it was great to be outside.
Question: Is it normal for the operated leg to feel longer? How long does this last? I feel like I am leaning to one side when I walk and my hip feels very tight and stiff.
 
Right after surgery I was really worried, since it felt as if the operated leg was at least 3/4" longer than the other. Since then the difference has become less severe, and now, after 6 weeks there isn't much difference. I believe there is an article in the library about this. I think it says that your body takes about 6 months to totally adjust? We'll see.
 
ONE WEEK POST OP

Here is what I am currently able to do after one week:
-get in and out of a bed without assistance
-get in and out of a shower without assistance
-put my shoes on by myself
-transition from a walker to a cane in the house
-walk without shooting back pain
-roll onto my un-operated side

Here is what I still would like to be able to do:
-Tie my own shoes
- put on socks without a sock aid
-Cut my own toenails
-Walk up a flight of stairs without having to go one step at a time
-drive a car
-roll onto my operated side
-ditch the cane and walk unassisted

Things are going well. Everyone heals differently and this list of goals and accomplishments is more for me to look back on and recognize where I have been and where I would like to go. I know that I will get there!
 
You are doing what I did too...list of goals. I got one today that made me feel sooo good!! I put on my socks AND put on boots and tied them. YAYY I know how well you feel when you finally get one more accomplishment. Keep up the GREAT recovery!!
 
2 WEEKS POST OP

Just documenting my progress at the 2 week mark. I am done with the Levonox injections. :snork: Still taking Hydrocodone 7.5/3.25 painkiller every 4-6 hours. I can sleep through the night without taking any painkillers. During the day, I take I pill every four hours. Is it too early to start stretching this out?

I still have the feeling that my operated leg is too long. Before the operation, it was too short and my OS said he would try to lengthen it for me. Unless it settles some more, I think he lengthened it too much. Anyone have any experience with this? I see him next Thursday (4-24) for my first post op so I will ask. For the last 2 days, my back has been problematic (spasm-ing) on the same side as the operated hip and I cannot help but wonder if it is because of the leg length differential. It was so bad that I didn't want to get out of bed because every slight little movement caused my back nerves to fire and that created so much pain. Anyone else experience back issues after THR?

Other than that, I don't see much difference from my 1 week to 2 week accomplishments. I feel like my overall hip pain and swelling has decreased and I am gaining strength in my ability to walk. I have started to take a few steps around furniture without the use of the cane and hope to be walking in the house without the cane soon. One thing I have gone backwards in is my ability to put on my sock/shoe on my operated leg--this could be due to the increased back pain I currently have. Almost forgot, I GET MY STAPLES REMOVED TODAY!!

I want to thank my Bonesmartie friends for listening to and encouraging me. Together, we will get through this!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@czak57 Sounds like you are doing great and that makes me :) ty for posting all that you do, it only helps us "up-n-comers"......I can honestly say that without this site, I would be a total basket case..just sayin. Bonesmart has been the "best" in helping me deal with all the feelings of anxiety, and restlessness........Keep up the progress :) Can't wait to join you on the other side :)....All my best..Sue
 
You are doing awesome @czak57 !
I am following one week behind you.
My OS lengthened my right leg by an inch or more and today the PT said some pain I feel
in the back thigh is probably hamstring muscles that are stretched a bit due to that.....
Interesting, but makes sense.
Yesterday at day 7, the nurse removed the bandage and I just let that continue to heal as is.
Congrats on getting your staples removed today.
 
So relieved too be done with Levenox injections - a definite happy moment last night realizing I didn't have to do!

I got an extra inch or so and felt like my non-surgical leg was too long. Finally feel like it's starting to even out

Also my lower back hurt most before and after. Felt the same and feared that it wasn't going to improve. PT suggested that pelvis was forced to adjust to walk before and perhaps the after pain was the pelvis readjusting to problem free hip. As I walk more and better the back pain is less until I overdue of course. My back is first to let me know I'm approaching the "drain"


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@czak57 sounds like you are doing very well. Almost every new hippie feels a leg length difference. Give it a good 3-4 months. In most cases the feeling just disappears. Here's a thread from our Library about it Leg length differential - LLD
 
Hi @czak57 my right leg got lengthened a touch, I'm still getting a bit used to it. I hope your back pain is just transitory, otherwise sounds like you are doing great!
 
@czak57 Sounds like all is well!! Congrats on getting those staples out. Hopefully the leg difference will get better soon. Take care and keep us posted.
 
@czak57 at two weeks you are right on track. Everyone is different of course but sounds like you are doing great. Its funny that my new hip/right leg feels shorter than the other. My OS said that was unusual. Usually people complain it feels longer. So you are normal in that sense. LOL. Luckily I am getting the other hip replaced next week and my OS said he will do his best to get the legs the same length. Even if he doesn't I will deal with it. Being pain-free is the most important thing. My right hip feels so good now at 8 weeks post-op that I can't wait to feel the same on the left and ditch the walker and cane! :dancy: Congratulations on your progress.
 
@Jaycey, thanks for giving me a time frame and letting me know that this LLD is a normal feeling that I should give 3-4 months for my new hip to settle in before worrying.
@Me2, thanks for sharing your experience with back pain and THR. What you said makes total sense and I appreciate your help.
To all of my Bonesmartie friends, thank you so much for being there to help me through this journey!
 
3 WEEKS POST OP

Had my first post op appointment with my surgeon. Everything looked good on the X-ray, but I was surprised to see a SCREW put in to hold the cup. My surgeon didn't tell me about this when I was in the hospital so it was a bit of a surprise to see it on x-ray. He did this because I had a shallow socket and he did not want to enlarge the socket, thus possibly compromising its integrity, plus it would have meant more pain and restrictions for me. I posted a picture below. So the screw, I guess, helped stabilize the cup?

I am walking with a cane, but can walk around the house without one for short distances. I asked for outpatient PT, even though Josephine has said that all you really need to do is walk, walk, walk. I agree with her, but this hip is different in that I have lost all muscle mass in my quad from years of atrophy and because I am still recovering from a TKR on the same side (4 months out). I need to get my strength back and totally work on my gait, which is really off.

My surgeon said I can start swimming when the incision has totally healed, work on a stationary bike, and ride a regular bike in about 4-6 weeks, when I feel like my balance has totally returned. I can drive when I feel that I have full control over my right leg (so of course, that meant yesterday!). The hip feels really good, but the knee is still swollen and stiff. I probably have neglected it somewhat while caring for my hip.

My apparent LLD is starting to feel more normal as time goes on and the hip swelling subsides. Thank you, @Jaycey for the reassuring advice--you were right on target. The doctor said he evened me out as close as he could possibly get.

@Josephine, could you look at my x-ray and tell me what you think? My only question is about the slight overhang of the cup. Will that restrict my movement in your opinion?? I should have asked the doc yesterday, but I think I was in such shock to see the screw that my mind went numb. Thank you for your help.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Czak's hip recovery
    IMG_20140424_140617.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 202
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom