THR Czak's hip recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all uncommon to have 1 or more screws holding the implant. I am sure Jo will clarify.

The only reason I know about LLD is I have one as a result of my THR. Everyone here advised me to wait the 3-4 months before doing anything. Things did get a bit better but I wear a small lift in my right shoe. Glad your LLD eased off.
 
I was surprised to see a SCREW put in to hold the cup. My surgeon didn't tell me about this
He didn't tell you because the use of screws is perfectly routine. It is dictated by the design of the device so while he may have told you he used it for that reason, trust me, he would have used it anyway! There are plenty of devices that require the use of one, two or even three screws as a routine.

The overhang is at the side of the hip which is fine. It's when you get such an overhang on the opposite side it's a problem! It looks fine to me.
 
Great looking hip @czak57 .....I have screw as well. Seems fairly common. My screw is longer as is my stem.....oh actually I don't have either ATM :heehee::heehee::heehee: I forgot!!!!

You seem to be going great with your recovery. Good idea about the PT...it is good to learn how to walk well again and also to help your knee which is still soon out too.

Just a little bit of caution with the bike riding. I first rode a bike at about 3 1/2 months post surgery and it really aggregated my muscles/ tendons at the front of my thigh/hip. So just be aware of that so soon out


Keep up the great work
 
4 WEEKS POST OP

-Incision healed with no more scabs, still warm to touch and hard, though
-LLD starting to feel more evened out
-walking with a cane when outside of house, no cane inside of house
-driving! Getting into the car is getting easier day by day.
-can put slip-on shoes on and pull back of shoe over my heel.
-can put on socks with grabber tool, but not without, yet
-walking faster, concentrating on walking correctly
-started outpatient physical therapy
-rode a stationary bike for 10 minutes with no pain
-can go up and down stairs, but not foot over foot
-down to 1 pain pill/day (at night, hydrocodone 7.5/3.25)

Would like to be able to dress lower half of my body without grabber tool, especially shoes and socks. PT says this will come in time. Would also like to be able to walk a mile around my neighborhood with the use of a cane. Will try this next week. Feeling so much better everyday
 
[Bonesmart.org] Czak's hip recovery
@czak57, you are coming along just beautifully! Just ease into increasing activity. Don't fall into the trap of doing too much too soon because at the moment you are feeling so good you think you can take the world on. It's so, so easy to do that---and then we suffer for it.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
 
WHAT HAPPENED???

I was sunbathing and not in a very comfortable chair, I might add (DUMB IDEA). My legs were in a bent position and placed on another chair. I must have stayed in this position too long because all of a sudden I felt extreme pain in my hip that took my breath away. I started screaming and my husband was saying, "What can I do??" He suggested I stand up to try to stretch it out. I was able to get up on my other leg but unable to bear ANY weight on my operated hip. Tears started rolling down my face as I continued to scream. I held my leg in the air and moved it behind me while holding onto a railing, in an effort to straighten it out. Then I heard a CLUNK and all was better. The whole ordeal lasted less than 30 seconds but was agonizing. My hip is still sore, so I am icing it. Could I have dislocated the hip or do you think it was a tendon/ligament issue? Very scared and do not want that to happen again!

By the way, I did have the anterior approach and was unaware that this sort of thing could happen. I am one month post op today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty obvious your hip subluxed which means it was about one third to half way towards being dislocated.

Was it like this? And did you let your knees fall outwards? That would certainly have given rise to such an event because that's exactly the movement the surgeon used to dislocate your hip during the surgery! You were very lucky to get it back in place.

[Bonesmart.org] Czak's hip recovery


I assume you never had any 90 degree restrictions applied but this just shows how necessary it can be to be very, very careful about positioning in the early weeks. You are only 4 weeks out. Hips can be at risk for up to 12 weeks or more. Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
 
Yes, this just makes me more aware of adhering to the 90° rule. At 6 weeks post op I have been pushing my restrictions because I am so impatient.
 
Yikes! How scary for you. My surgeon stressed to me the danger of dislocation in the early days. He said it was a very real possibility if you didn't take proper care and not get into positions you should not. He was quite serious and kinda grim about it -- sure got my attention!

Please let us know how you are doing and what your surgeon said.


@Dmcfad2 Please don't push your limits. Healing takes the time it takes. I got overzealous with laundry about 6 weeks after the second surgery and ended up with that piriformis syndrome and sciatica, which took about another month to resolve. No fun at all.
 
@Butterfly I appreciate your advice. I have been pushing a little too hard. I am going to back off a bit. I don't want to set back my recovery. Thanks!
 
@Josephine --That is exactly how I was sitting (well, not exactly on blocks). No, I do not think I let my knees fall outward. You are correct in assuming I was given NO restrictions, so I never gave it a second thought. My PT said I was at probably at higher risk for subluxation because of my weak hip muscles surrounding the capsule. I guess I won't sit like that again for awhile! I contacted my doctor's office and left a message but I doubt he will get back to me. I feel totally fine today with no ill effects. I am just glad that I did not need a trip to the emergency room! Thank you all for your concern!
 
No, I do not think I let my knees fall outward
Oh I bet you did and didn't notice! It only takes about 5-10 degrees which is almost nothing.
PT said I was at probably at higher risk for subluxation because of my weak hip muscles surrounding the capsule
Well that was an insightful comment! And somewhat obvious! But you muscles are weak - they are injured.
 
@Josephine How risky is it sitting like that on a chair with legs on edge of a stool as long as we observe the 90 degree rule. Or is that posture just best avoided altogether.

and to @czak57 wow, glad you're okay, I definitely would've had to change my pants if that were me.
 
The main problem with it is that, being unsupported, the knees are almost inevitably going to externally rotate (fall outwards) and in conjunction with the bent up position, the hazard factor increases. If you have your legs on a cushion or wedge then the risk is much less.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom