Guest viewing is limited

THR Croyde06 on the road to recovery

Hello @Croyde06 'haven't done anything'.........except rested, took meds, did the stairs, went to the loo, did some walking..... sounds like a very successful day 1 to me. I don't think you are supposed to do anything else.
Good to be home though.
 
Hi @Croyde06
It sounds as though you're doing well!
Ice, meds, eat, drink, short walks to the bathroom, sleep.
Not too exciting but sounds about normal.
Thankfully you have the support of hubby.
Be careful on those stairs...without the bannister :elevate:
 
@Croyde06 Please be very careful on the stairs. Any chance you could install a temporary banister. Very tough using crutches up and downstairs without something to hold on to!
 
Thanks guys, husband retired yesterday so he is home 24/7 so I am going to be spoilt, he stands in front facing me while I come down bless him. It’s just a slow process. I am hoping for a shower this morning after a cup of tea in bed then will probably nap in bed before going down stairs.
 
You are doing so well! I didn't have to mess with stairs for a couple of weeks (laundry is in basement, everything else on one floor). That extra effort is a lot of exercise for you! It is a slow process, but think about how far you have gone in just a few days! Continue taking it slow and balance your activity with lots of rest.
 
Well got my shower and hair wash, changed teds and clothes and felt human for a while, should have gone back to bed before attempting downstairs but thought I knew best, 2 hour sleep with elevated leg in front of the fire this afternoon. My next battle is my bowels, always a problem for me and up to 8 codeine a day isn’t helping. Dried figs and prunes to snack on will help hopefully
 
Oh my..how I loved that first shower!
Actually the shower itself was hurried and I felt a little wobbly but once dressed
and back in my recliner it was like Heaven. It felt like a such a big accomplishment.
Didn't the office of your OS provide anything in an effort to avoid constipation?
I hope you find relief soon.
Wishing you many more cozy naps by the fire @Croyde06
 
No just one dose of senna and lactulose prior to discharge. I am wary of taking otc constipation relief as don’t need the added worry of having to ‘rush’ to the loo
 
Fingers crossed for the figs and prunes to do the trick :fingersx:
 
Make sure you’re drinking lots of water too :) You’re doing great! I ate lots of prunes but did end up needing a bit of extra help.
 
So interested in your progress. I am having L THR on Dec. 5. My first and am very interested in the first couple of weeks of recovery. Actually I am quite nervous. How are you finding moving around without compromising the 90 degree rule? And getting dressed? Feel for you having to go up and down the stairs but I am sure the excercise will aid in your recovery. All the best with your recovery!
 
No just one dose of senna and lactulose prior to discharge. I am wary of taking otc constipation relief as don’t need the added worry of having to ‘rush’ to the loo

Is this what happened before with codeine and stool softeners? I have Crohns Disease so this is usually an issue for me-racing to a loo- but narcotics definitely slow my bowel down. I had severe constipation last year from the pain meds after my core decompression so this time I decided I didn't care if I was crapping my pants, having to strain on a toilet is horrible after any hip surgery. I hope you can get those bowels to cooperate. I like Restoralax....dissolves in water, one glass a day, is super gentle so no gas or bloating. I'll do a little poop dance for ya haha ya know, like a rain dance....only, I can't wiggle too much. 5 days post op and all I managed is a shower today. Woop Woop!
 
Lululucy, In the Uk they are rewriting the protocol and we have been told within reason not to worry too much regarding the 90 deg rule, I use the helping hand to dress and it’s fine can get loose trousers on and knickers no problems. We have to wear knee high ted stockings for 6 weeks post surgery and they need changing every other day which is a mission but hubby has that chore . As I’m sure you will read on the forums often the worst part is sleeping on your back and I can only manage a couple of hours at a time so it’s a long night try not to worry, take all the help you are offered and keep reading, in the Uk we are not told of the pain or swelling that is normal or the fact you cry for no reason so comes as a big shock, the better informed you are allows you to cope with the situations when they arise and not be scared.

This is a great forum whatever country you live in, so much support from people who have been there and done that..... good luck will keep an eye out for your post on the recovery side soon
 
Hello @Croyde06 I was also prescribed codeine - my heart sank when I read 8 per day - thought it might be Easter before Poo arrived, but was also prescribed Ducusate Sodium (Dioctyl) and it works a treat. And no 'rush' Op on the wednesday, home friday, Poo friday evening, and have been fine since. Of course hubby says it was all down to his wonderful meals (true) lots of water and the excitement of being home.
Totally agree with you about learning so much, and the support from BS.
 
Day 9 and been a whole day with no tears that’s a victory in itself. Think I have the meds controlled Now and pain free is the way to go , pottered upstairs this morning sorting a bit of washing, had a go at ditching one crutch which to my surprise was easier than I thought although after a couple of minutes could feel an ache starting so back on two for a few days more I think. While hubby walked the dogs swapped a crutch for the Dyson, it’s cordless and he hadn’t put it back on charge so only got a few sweeps before it gave up got a right telling off and he’s threatening to take Hoover and crutches away from he goes out if I don’t behave .

I just can’t belive how incredibly tired everything makes me, can’t go more than a couple of hours without a cat nap . My other big news is in the toilet department ..... at last things are beginning to move and I’m feeling a whole lot more comfortable
 
@Croyde06 you should not be doing anything with a Dyson this early out! Please let go of any chores and focus on your own healing. Your energy levels are low and you need all your energy for recovery.
I just can’t belive how incredibly tired everything makes me, can’t go more than a couple of hours without a cat nap .
Energy drain - don't fight it. Just nap when you can.
 
I did have a giggle about hubby’s threat to take away crutches and Dyson! Please take it easy. I know it’s frustrating....
 
Back
Top Bottom